You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Different Shapes.  (Read 2132 times)

Glade

• Undead Slayer
Different Shapes.
« on: March 04, 2011, 05:36:41 PM »
I have been playing a level 5 druid for sometime now, and I'm trying out the "Wildshapes"... I was thinking, perhaps it would be nice to introduce new shapes into the system for both wild shapes, and that of a Shifter.

For a start, I'm sure it would make RPing them much fun with more variety to the different shapes.

Just my opinion. :)

~Glade

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
Re: Different Shapes.
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 05:39:58 PM »
Would be nice and fair, since they added those extra familiars to mages.

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 06:17:11 PM »
I have a druid elf on stand by for a shifter... I'd LOVE to have forms to purely roleplay (human, dwarf, half orc, drow, duergar...)
Noignar Huillen: Ilmater Cleric.
Hedien Gine: Arrow and Bow Artist.
Dolin Schneim: Dwarven Soldier

Glade

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 01:43:13 PM »
Exactly. It opens up the RP more. Worth the thought about adding it to the system.

Telkar

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 07:50:27 PM »
Also...this, from a while back.

I understand though, something like "alter self" needs to be considered carefully as there are many factors that play part in it. People would have to watch out even more to not metagame, druids and all those things that can change into different people would become pretty much immune to bounty hunters (if they are wanted, and play smart). But it would be interesting to RP, no denying that.

Different animalistic/monstrous shapes don't need as much a consideration I'd think. It's much work though I'd imagine, so I'm guessing it's a while till that'll happen with other priorities and all.

Misan

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 06:55:01 AM »
Quote from: Telkar
I understand though, something like "alter self" needs to be considered carefully as there are many factors that play part in it. People would have to watch out even more to not metagame, druids and all those things that can change into different people would become pretty much immune to bounty hunters (if they are wanted, and play smart). But it would be interesting to RP, no denying that.

If I'm not mistaken, truesight is supposed to penetrate such guises, in PnP.  I could be mistaken, and this is the exception as I didn't actually look it up again.

Telkar

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 07:45:33 AM »
Quote from: Telkar

If I'm not mistaken, truesight is supposed to penetrate such guises, in PnP.  I could be mistaken, and this is the exception as I didn't actually look it up again.

True...and that's when the WYSIWYG rule comes into play. If it would be an exception to the rule, it'd be easy to use the true seeing excuse all the time (as it's hard to know exactly whether True seeing is upon a person). It can lead to a bunch of metagaming chaos.

I guess "alter self" wouldn't be much different from what people can metagame already though, so the metagaming argument falls a bit flat there. It'd however be harder for people to unintentionally metagame. Let's say someone just turned into an elf from human form, with different facial features etc. unrecognisable by those that know him. From the screen he wouldn't have to look so different at first sight. I guess it wouldn't be too hard to memorize that the alter self feature is out there along with face hiding hoods. At least not for me.

Ellana Twiggy

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 02:48:39 PM »
there is a way to add in the druids wild shape ability, I would have to see if I can find it again and I am not sure if the devs would approve it given all the scripting needs of it. But it works like this, druids are given the wild shape widget at a certain level, they can then target creatures, study them for a bit, and then recieve a selection of shapes they can memorise or swap out to turn into. I may still have the stand alone scripting set some where. . .I will have to look, though I don't think I ever posted it on the vault. I know i did a lot of testing and it worked wonderfully, it even allowed for level limits on the creatures, ie, if you were level 3 you couldn't target a dire bear or dragon and select that as a wild shape. If this seems like a good idea let me know and I'll see if I can find my old scripting routine to submit to the devs.

Ophie Kitty

• Inactive - Quit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 04:45:36 PM »
there is a way to add in the druids wild shape ability, I would have to see if I can find it again and I am not sure if the devs would approve it given all the scripting needs of it. But it works like this, druids are given the wild shape widget at a certain level, they can then target creatures, study them for a bit, and then recieve a selection of shapes they can memorise or swap out to turn into. I may still have the stand alone scripting set some where. . .I will have to look, though I don't think I ever posted it on the vault. I know i did a lot of testing and it worked wonderfully, it even allowed for level limits on the creatures, ie, if you were level 3 you couldn't target a dire bear or dragon and select that as a wild shape. If this seems like a good idea let me know and I'll see if I can find my old scripting routine to submit to the devs.

I beleive the server uses extra polymorphs via hakpaks rather than a polymorph.2da, so in order for something like this to work they would need to first write each polymorph for any shape possible ahead of time and add it to their hakpak.

Ellana Twiggy

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 11:49:08 PM »
actually, the scripting routine I submitted to the devs doesn't even use haks. It allows the druid/shapeshifter to target select creatures and if with in a certain level/wis range give them the option to polymorph into selected creature. Its a widget based system and allows up to five shapes to be stored I believe. I'm sure if the devs like it and then tinker with it some it might show in game. This would allow one to turn into something like a mink or a dire bear. There is the whole pnp aspect to shifting with it. So maybe it will pop in.

Glade

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 04:08:18 PM »
I hope it does, it sounds quite good.

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 05:37:32 PM »
Turning into a Rat is a dream! ;D