Author Topic: Duration on Protection from Elements  (Read 1861 times)

Pip

• New to the Mists
Duration on Protection from Elements
« on: March 03, 2011, 06:59:11 PM »
Just picked up a level of Wizard and given the weather used the 1st Level Spell: Protection from Elements and noticed that although the listed duration is 24 hours, it vanished after Caster Lvl / Hrs.

Which one should it be?

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
Re: Duration on Protection from Elements
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 07:16:09 PM »
the cold will tear it from you long before duration runs out.

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 09:53:55 PM »
Winter goes OM NOM NOM NOM NOM I LOVE ELEMENTAL PROTECTION SHIELDS. To expand on HellsPanda's post, the way damage works is the game checks if you have elemental protection before it checks your damage reduction, so even if you're wearing enough items to sink 20 cold damage you're still going to have your elemental protection eaten up.

Saruven

• Outlander
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 12:16:57 AM »
Winter goes OM NOM NOM NOM NOM I LOVE ELEMENTAL PROTECTION SHIELDS. To expand on HellsPanda's post, the way damage works is the game checks if you have elemental protection before it checks your damage reduction, so even if you're wearing enough items to sink 20 cold damage you're still going to have your elemental protection eaten up.

If it's consumed so fast by winter, then the Potion of Elemental Warding I saw for sale in Vallaki by Ciprian Murnu that was very expensive due to it being Protection from Elements (10) isn't usually any better than Protection from Elements (3).  Ciprian has a Vardo guard, does he not?  Is Vardo in on this scam?  Are you out to swindle me out of my precious fang??

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 01:04:11 AM »
Nu, domn. The Red Vardo Traders strive to be professional in our business, we do not practice nor condone swindlery in any way, shape, or form. Thank you for shopping Vardo and have a nice day.

*goes and provides Murnu with more snake oil to sell to outlanders*

Actually, I think you've got your potions mixed up. Endure  Elements is an entirely different spell than Protection from Elements. It absorbs 20 elemental damage (I believe? 20 or 30), and sinks less before you start taking damage per hit. Protection from Elements absorbs 40 elemental damage I believe. I bring this up because I think it's impossible for Protection from Elements to be cast from a 3rd level when the spell requires level 5 at least. At least, I've never seen an item with a spell cast at a lower level than the spell itself takes.

Pip

• New to the Mists
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 02:30:27 AM »
the cold will tear it from you long before duration runs out.

*face palm* You're right, of course it will.  I even read that in the description, but didn't put it together.  Sorry, long day obviously

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 02:32:55 AM »
happens to us all

Saruven

• Outlander
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 02:40:23 AM »
I bring this up because I think it's impossible for Protection from Elements to be cast from a 3rd level when the spell requires level 5 at least. At least, I've never seen an item with a spell cast at a lower level than the spell itself takes.

Ah yes, I was thinking in terms of circle, should have said (5).

Strigoi

• Vampire Extraordinaire
  • Dark Power
  • i never drink vine...
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 03:21:04 AM »
protection from elements is 40 soak i think. also i know that if you take Multiple "types" of elemental damage with it, the first one of the individual elements that reaches the Max Soak value on the spell will Expire it.

The Prophet of Misinformation

• Kept you waiting, huh?
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Forever #Trigger
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 12:20:34 PM »
Nu, domn. The Red Vardo Traders strive to be professional in our business, we do not practice nor condone swindlery in any way, shape, or form. Thank you for shopping Vardo and have a nice day.

[ Men found asphyxiated to death in sewers with knee caps broken ]
"The brave man inattentive to his duty, is worth little more to his country than the coward who deserts in the hour of danger."
~Andrew Jackson