You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Forums - DMs, CC & Devs Hostile Posting.  (Read 13923 times)

Jadow_Valroth

• Undead Slayer
    • My facebook
Re: Forums - DMs, CC & Devs Hostile Posting.
« Reply #75 on: March 03, 2011, 02:51:53 PM »
While I have been completely hesitant to chime in here at all, I will, but only briefly.

It seems to me as though most of the issue comes from very few people, and on top of that, even less people seem to have anything constructive to add to this argument. By that I mean, every post by some people in his thread seem to only be made to, "take a side".

My suggestion here, is that unless you have something constructive to add to the topic, beyond, "X person seems more right in this case because of X reason", you think twice about posting, as it really comes across as just defending one side or the other without contributing to the topic.

Beyond that, I'd just like to say a few things; I think are constructive, as to not fall into that category.

To begin with, I have to say, all this negative posting, arguing and over all rudeness that has been going on, has even began to make me seriously consider stepping away, much less bringing in new players, who have seen such negativity, and simply decided to play else where. As Iconoclast said, if there was a point to be made here, we may as well assume it's been made, because if it hasn't been, it never will be.

Also, it seems as though a least part of the hostility from the player stand point has been that systems are implemented that some feel were not wanted, enjoyed, or work for the players.

My suggestion for that is that after a couple weeks, two – a month. A post is made that allows players to vote on the forums, either for, or against the system. The system for this would be simple, a forum post, with a poll, in which your presented with two options, For, and Against. You then would be required to post a reply in the thread after that, simply saying “Voted”. So players would know that those X players voted to create the total outcome. You would be allowed to post which way you voted, and why, but it would not be required, only a simple replying saying that you voted would be, and that would be the only post you would be allowed to post in the thread on the subject, no arguing against another players view, ect.

On the flip side of this, after finishing the above paragraph, it may even be a good idea of people were who voted were instead ALSO required to post which way they voted, and why. That way there was a constructive reason behind their vote. But that could be decided later, anyways..

The outcome is simple, which ever side is given the most votes, if it was tied, the system would stay, the house always wins, after all. And if it was determined that the vast majority of the server did not agree with the new system, it be removed, either to be revamped and re-presented to the community, or forgotten.

Anyways, I just felt like throwing that out there without making another thread.

But overall, for the sake of the community, I really think people need to calm down. Some good players have left the community recently, and it is troubling. Very much so to me sometimes as I’ve attempted to get people to join the community through many different avenues, and keep our population growing in a game no longer sold in stores. Every player should be seen as a valuable member, and while I don’t think the staff here who does what they do for free on their own time should have to bend over backwards for anyone. I do believe we should strive to maintain any members of the community we have, verses simply saying, “See ya later”. As that is how many communities lead themselves down a path of self destruction.

Anyways, I believe that’s all I have to say, and hopefully it pertains. Just, be mindful of your fellow players, pick your battles wisely, and think carefully before you decide to stir the hornets nest.
Jadow Valroth - Fighter/Rogue
Chanler Dermar - Cleric of Pelor
Ravish Yale - Wizard
Victor Malvaious - Paladin
Kaliev Valen - Druid
Jerrick Malas - Fighter/WM
Myth Valandil - Bard

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #76 on: March 03, 2011, 03:24:29 PM »
I don't think a vote is necessary, I think if people tested things for a month or two, and gradually gave feedback, that would help tweak the system to a better final solution, or explain coherently why it should be removed. Would work as well.

As for people leaving, the server has in the 4 years I have been here, always had a flux, people come and go, for various reasons, most of them are OOC [as in real life changes]. Sometimes its people who quit for other reasons, and sometimes the staff have to ban people for various reasons. And not all players are of value to the community. New people are always welcome, and they give alot of potential. Without the new people the server would grow stagnant and boring [I enjoy people watching, its why I am so quiet ingame]

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #77 on: March 03, 2011, 03:28:20 PM »
But I still can ask the people to take it in consideration, right?
 :)

Yup, and it's appreciated :)

Without commenting further on all this because I think I need a break from it, a minor remark:

logical assumption: Most players are not active posters. The active posters are heard and seen more often. Certain time zones suffer through no fault of the admin team at all, with lack of dm interaction, yet again no fault of theirs. Staying on the positive side: still not pay to play but I would pay to play. Ravenloft campagin setting is really here end of story. If you love Ravenloft and the AD&D world you want on online game with other players that seek rp and yes action this currently is the place to be.

This is exactly why we have the community council - to reach out to everyone, and get the broadest feedback possible.

Simple forum polls have their validity too, but I prefer the in depth feedback (like questionnaires or actively seeking out opinions in game) because it has the potential to reach broader and give a more detailed view, especially useful in matters that aren't forward to assess. Certain things can only be estimated through the totality of things. An overly exaggerated analogy would be a worldwide poll to settle whether everyone should have their wages doubled. And then sometimes, even in virtual worlds, less popular choices also have to be made for the greater benefit on longer terms. This may seem outrageous to some, but I hope the majority understands.

Other than that, I join in on saying that what needed to be said on the matter more or less have been said by now.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 05:37:19 PM by Zarathustra217 »

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #78 on: March 03, 2011, 04:28:01 PM »
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company