Author Topic: Resting and Exhaustion - Purposed Changes  (Read 2275 times)

Ophie Kitty

• Inactive - Quit
  • Dark Power
Resting and Exhaustion - Purposed Changes
« on: March 03, 2011, 01:06:04 AM »
I've noticed when players rest they usually have several different options. Such as "Study Spellbook/Pray, Sit and Relax, Sleep" and have always wondered if there is any difference of effects between the option. It got me thinking. Currently I find the exhaustion script to be slightly annoying for one reason- and thats because it doesn't have a 'cap'. Some creatures out there strength drain and other things like that, Its very frustrating, at least in my own opinion, to have to wait 15-20 minutes in game to 'rest' because you received a very drastic boost  to your numbers on exhaustion, sometimes multiple times greater than your own threshold.

I'm throwing out these ideas for changes-

1) A hardcap be placed on how high your exhaustion value can be. (A value of 100, for example, still means that 16con character would have to stand still for 15 minutes before he back to normal.) I don't know exact numbers, but I'd suggest something slightly above "feeling very exhausted"

2) Consider changing the different options to have a variety of uses, such as the following:

Sit and Relax: Resets their exhaustion, perhaps applies healing effects such as healing kits (Perhaps at a reduced value compared to an actual rest) but doesn't cancel current spell affects, or reprepare spells/abilities. (This might also allow fighter-types a bit of slack, not having to be so dependant on magical healing, but also limited and not actually replacing the needs for it.) I was thinking this function wouldn't be apart of the regular rest timer, and not sure whether or not it would actually need one. (Perhaps it would if it were to apply healing effects.)
      Study Spellbook/Pray: Perhaps set a flat timer on this, 3-6 hours dependant on level (As the current rest function is, but maybe a bit longer wouldn't hurt to better match that of how spellcasting works) Otherwise it should work as normal: Resets exhaustion, applies healing effects, removes current spell effects and reprepares spells.
     Sleep: (Never really understood the point of having it listed, other than for its emote function.)

« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 01:08:24 AM by Rhymenoceros »

Ingwulf

• Undead Master
Re: Resting and Exhaustion - Purposed Changes
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 02:33:37 AM »
I play mostly a fighter type and just to say, If you use a bedroll, tent, campfire and eat before you sleep you can get healed a lot. I'm not sure how many know this acctually.....

Ingwulf Son of Bulwig
Daft The good soul
Vindur- natures explorer
Joric - Merc with no wishes

Saruven

• Outlander
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 04:59:13 AM »
I just find it odd when I'm both exhausted and unable to rest.  Whoever makes the inn's coffee has too high a herbalism skill.

Threefold

• Dark Lord
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 07:53:03 AM »
I just find it odd when I'm both exhausted and unable to rest.  Whoever makes the inn's coffee has too high a herbalism skill.

Rest = Sleeping. Get up in the morning, go for a jog, and you'll be tired after, but I doubt you'd be able to get to sleep and stay asleep for a further eight hours.

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 02:01:56 AM »
each 10 minutes in game is 1 minute in real time.

the maximum amount you have to wait to be able to rest again is what, four hours?

so its 24 minutes. It should not come up too often, you are either just rested or you can rest soon in nearly all cases.
I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.

Illy-Dan

• Undead Slayer
  • Who is John Galt?
    • Grey Wardens.com
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 07:05:01 AM »
So its 24 minutes. It should not come up too often, you are either just rested or you can rest soon in nearly all cases.
But wasn't the wait time in the Rez system removed to stop players having to sit idle for ten tonnes of time.  24-minutes is a long time, especially if you are not necessarily within RP range of another character.  It isn't as if you can just log out. :)

I think there does need to be a cap, one that would put the player out of action for no more than 10 minutes.  I chose that number as 5 minutes sounds too short and 15 gives the player the impression of being too long: "I've got to wait a quarter an hour!?"

"Enemies, as well as lovers, come to resemble each other over a period of time."
— Sydney J. Harris

Darktide18

• Red Academy
  • Dark Lord
  • Social Butterfly
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 10:52:44 AM »
I play mostly a fighter type and just to say, If you use a bedroll, tent, campfire and eat before you sleep you can get healed a lot. I'm not sure how many know this acctually.....

Shadymerchant clued me into that little fact and it really is very useful, all of my character now carry one.  ;)

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 12:40:09 PM »
Hard capping the amount of exhaustion seems reasonable to me, on it!

Illy-Dan

• Undead Slayer
  • Who is John Galt?
    • Grey Wardens.com
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 01:11:14 PM »

^  See, the system works!!! :P

"Enemies, as well as lovers, come to resemble each other over a period of time."
— Sydney J. Harris

Ophie Kitty

• Inactive - Quit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 01:52:37 PM »

Thats what I was thinking to begin with. :D