Author Topic: Suggestion: Corpse weight dependant on characters statistics  (Read 2139 times)

Kenkaku

• Undead Master
Suggestion: Corpse weight dependant on characters statistics
« on: February 25, 2011, 12:01:33 AM »
Okay, so I've always tried to make my characters weight based on their stats to some extent. Usually the higher Con and Str they had, the heavy they were, then modified to some extent by their race. Well, I finally sat down to start writing some basic formulas and testing them with various character builds me and a few friends had and I found two that were fairly accurate. The general consensus of those I asked was that they were accurate enough to be implemented, but weren't perfect since they're very basic formulas and not overly complicated algorithms.

Anyways, point is, It's always kind of bugged me how the corpses of PCs on the server seem to follow just a general numerical value based on gender and race without considering the character themselves. So, If it's possible, maybe we could implement a system to calculate the weight of a persons corpse based on that characters stats? I'm not entirely sure if that's possible or even plausible, but I think it would be cool and would better represent the difficulty of dragging the bloody mess that is your Tank.  :P

The two formulas I came up with and tested are:

Constitution x10 + (Strength x5)/ Dexterity Modifier

Fairly simply and yielded fairly accurate numbers for human characters. Obviously, it has the problem of characters with either a negative Dex Mod or a Zero Dex Mod (since either of those wouldn't come out properly and potentially destroy the universe).

Constitution x10 + (Strength x10)/ 2 + Dexterity Modifier

This one I found would work better with all Dexterity scores and yields slightly higher weights than the first. Though, there would still be the problem of characters with lower than 8 Dex (if that's even possible).

With either one, the biggest problem I would see that could come into play would be the different races and all since Halflings obviously weigh almost nothing and Dwarves, while short, weigh a ton. To counter this, perhaps there could be a racial variable implemented? For example, Multiply the results of the general equation by .9 for Elves, 1.2 for Orcs, .4-5 for Halflings, etc.

Anyways, Thoughts? Ideas? Is it even possible?
I am but a blade, A simple tool of destruction.

Illy-Dan

• Undead Slayer
  • Who is John Galt?
    • Grey Wardens.com
Re: Suggestion: Corpse weight dependant on characters statistics
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 05:32:24 AM »
The problem I see would be the need for a tonne more Player Corpses in the server library-thing (I forget the proper name, merpa derpa).

If it can be done, easily, without too much strain on resources; then I say go for it, its these little touches that make things all the more enjoyable.

"Enemies, as well as lovers, come to resemble each other over a period of time."
— Sydney J. Harris

Miuo

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 11:17:31 AM »
I'm for it :D ^-^

The Prophet of Misinformation

• Kept you waiting, huh?
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Forever #Trigger
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 12:10:03 PM »
The two formulas I came up with and tested are:

Constitution x10 + (Strength x5)/ Dexterity Modifier

Fairly simply and yielded fairly accurate numbers for human characters. Obviously, it has the problem of characters with either a negative Dex Mod or a Zero Dex Mod (since either of those wouldn't come out properly and potentially destroy the universe).

Constitution x10 + (Strength x10)/ 2 + Dexterity Modifier

All formulae must be derived from this algorithm:

10 + 1/2 (primary dynamic value) + (relevant attribution modifier) + ancillary modifiers

DEVIATION IS BLASPHEMY.

Monte Cook presumed to question this methodology.

HE WAS CAST DOWN AND SMOTE IN HIS RUIN UPON THE MOUNTAINSIDE!

I also fail to detect any sense of coherence in the logic of the formulae you presented. Cobbling together an algorithm based upon the assembling of somewhat relevant statistics in an incongruous order is a poor design methdology regardess of outcome.

Character weight should be explicitly dependent upon static variables. Something to the effect of calculating the gross number based upon averaged statistics of weight [as per race; gender] and armour category equipped.

Relative vascularity, litheness, and endurance do not follow any one linear trend. For example, "Strength," which we might take to be the capacity to exert a specific amount of force is not absolutely dependent upon the quantity of muscle and thus weight.

The notion of having attributes influence weight need not be discarded but the elements of the formulae need to be connected in a way which contains some modicum of sense. It is otherwise flawed by design.

Compounding the potential issue is the interaction of the script with others. It adds another level of complexity to the already mind-boggling plethora of mechanics written into the server. Simply put - is it worth the potential latency?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 12:47:39 PM by DT_LordofDeath »
"The brave man inattentive to his duty, is worth little more to his country than the coward who deserts in the hour of danger."
~Andrew Jackson

Threefold

• Dark Lord
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 12:50:34 PM »
From now on, the most likely characters to die (ie, the non-magic fighter front liners) must be halflings.

Miuo

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 12:54:05 PM »
Well if they all were, at least it would be harder to hit them if you are a novice archer :P, nothing like leading a party into battle only to get shot by some daft archer you brought along ^-^

Saruven

• Outlander
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 02:58:45 PM »
You should weigh less when hungry.  You'd have to balance being fed enough to be healed by rest with being too fat to carry.

The Prophet of Misinformation

• Kept you waiting, huh?
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Forever #Trigger
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 03:13:03 PM »
You should weigh less when hungry.  You'd have to balance being fed enough to be healed by rest with being too fat to carry.

Simple and effective.
"The brave man inattentive to his duty, is worth little more to his country than the coward who deserts in the hour of danger."
~Andrew Jackson

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
  • We all end up the same: Level 20 or dead.
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 05:06:41 PM »
From now on, the most likely characters to die (ie, the non-magic fighter front liners) must be halflings.

They used to way a ton.  Carry a few of them from a party near-wipe and you would think they were eating lead. 
Sig by Garison

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter Thompson

"Rock is overpowered, paper is just about right" - Scissors
Thanks Aahz

Dhark

• Dark Power
  • Ladul !
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 09:56:27 PM »
I can see it now ...

Incomming system - resurrection & raise dead ingredient requirements
Required Diamonds , 100gp /level  Cart & horse,  200gp/level

:lol:

Vespertilio

• Never met a Dark Lord, not a
  • Dark Power
  • We can't stop here, this is bat country!
    • Messages from Nihil
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 10:11:01 PM »
 Cart & horse,  200gp/level

But I don't want to go into the cart!

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grbSQ6O6kbs[/youtube]
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 10:12:42 PM by Vespertilio »

I could just run into the room and punch you in the balls; sure, that's scary. That's entertainment. But it isn't horror...

Miuo

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 08:47:27 AM »
Lawls XD