You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Increase the Magic Level....?  (Read 33637 times)

Jay

• Dark Power
Re: Increase the Magic Level....?
« Reply #175 on: May 26, 2011, 02:56:41 AM »
Sure, I'd think. The Overseer has a bunch of non-cleric priests. A character class is a game mechanic, not necessarily an in-game title or profession.

Priest: a person whose office it is to perform religious rites; a minister of any religion

There are actually Ezrite Anchorites who have nine ranks in "Expert" and none in cleric (Van Richten's Arsenal). Religious conviction is a state of mind, not a character sheet.

hugolino

• Dark Lord
« Reply #176 on: August 01, 2011, 01:49:37 AM »
One word: Enchanting.

Systems are ready for testing, we just need the areas in. At least, I would urge any in depth evaluation to wait until after we've experimented with that.

Interesting. I look forward to learning more in time.

EberronBruce

• Dark Power
  • Legos
« Reply #177 on: August 05, 2011, 01:38:08 PM »
One word: Enchanting.

Systems are ready for testing, we just need the areas in. At least, I would urge any in depth evaluation to wait until after we've experimented with that.

Interesting. I look forward to learning more in time.

What I don't like is certain named items with a story and two or more people have that item. The example comes to mind is the //cant spell but know it starts with a C [insert name] holy great sword that the woman supposedly impaled herself on.  That should be a one of a kind item, like something like the sunsword.

However, there should be more than one Tempus Rebuttals because they are replicas of a particular blade. Not saying you cant have a holy great sword, just that they should be more replicas not the main blade.

Hence I think that there will be more imitation magical weapons like the Tempus Rebuttal and very few named ones.

And with a good DM event and an a lot of blood, sweat, and tears, you should be able to find or make a item of legacy.
Which requires
Research, Research, and more Research
Building up funds to support expeditions
Building up resources for expeditions
Gathering regular members of expeditions
Going through hell on Expeditions
Making it out with item or more research to make item
Then having a story to go with item that is partly your character's story.

So, if you want a flame tongue you must research it. Either seek what you have to do to make it or find out where it is hidden. Go look for it with some friends, and seek it out and hope you don't get killed.

Well that is my take on enchanting or acquiring decent magical items.

Valerio Umberto

« Reply #178 on: August 05, 2011, 02:35:09 PM »
It's my understanding that a great deal of the items that exist in multiple numbers with epic back-stories are in fact copies of legendary items, at least that is how we in the Red Vardo Traders RP them.

Naomy

• Outlander
  • what color shall be for today...?
« Reply #179 on: August 05, 2011, 05:06:24 PM »
Remove all spells! I want to see how many folks would be willing to play a priest then!
that is soo mean!  :shock:
 i wish more spells. casters are funny only wen they aren't on your enemy list  :mrgreen: who don't love wen you almost die and a invisible caster appear to help ya  8)
Elrawiel- The pur.. mean white wizard
Ririm Ironfist- the prist.

hugolino

• Dark Lord
« Reply #180 on: August 10, 2011, 09:52:21 PM »
Remove all spells! I want to see how many folks would be willing to play a priest then!

indeed i would as well mostly ike how i have my players play in my custom ravenloft domain where priests lvl 5+ have to research and spells in lore for a specfic matter really curbs the magic plus my players love it as it seems to them that there's no end to the adventures :) one little side jaunt for a spell to restore a few lost lvls from a wight ended up having them save a town from a zombie disease

ingenious.  Kudos. :)

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
« Reply #181 on: August 11, 2011, 07:40:07 AM »
[Sighs]

I'd love to test a magic-less setting, which is similar that you've described. A  pity there's no no-magic version of the PotM :)

The Perfect Circle: The Hollow : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avgiqNapUx0

WildPirate13

« Reply #182 on: August 11, 2011, 10:47:40 AM »
Potm is Prisoners of the mist.. which is based on Ravenloft and is the only Ravenloft server currently that I am aware of. That is Ad&D. Magic is part of AD&D.

You would be creating a new campaign setting which wouldnt be Ravenloft. I say we remove all magic items and knockdown. :) That would be fun.

The concept is cool The Masque of Red Death tried it with a gothic earth horror setting.. but even that had some magic.

Ingwulf

• Undead Master
« Reply #183 on: August 12, 2011, 03:30:43 AM »
I like how it is now, still there is alot of magic around....

Ingwulf Son of Bulwig
Daft The good soul
Vindur- natures explorer
Joric - Merc with no wishes

Silvi Wildflower

• New to the Mists
« Reply #184 on: August 12, 2011, 07:42:03 PM »
I personally feel that the magic level is perfect on the server.  I believe that it is more important to find ways to make certain classes more needed.  Fighters are almost always great in groups, and buffed by others or by pots and varnishes, they are a powerhouse.  Perhaps it would be a good idea though to make it easier for fighter type classes to access those resources though, if they desire to compete with caster classes in PvP.   I see a lot of, well, you can just go get some pots and varnishes, but in general, it's not that easy, and I don't really know how fair it is that the resources are so difficult to get compared to a wizard having to rest to have the same ability.  Also, this is a bit off topic, but please, for the love of God, make rogues more useful!  First step towards this goal would be to remove the damn crowbar from the game!  Ok done. :)

Hero