You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Suggestion regarding prices - Encouraging RP over farming?  (Read 7162 times)

Miuo

Re: Suggestion regarding prices - Encouraging RP over farming?
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2011, 06:10:39 PM »
Unless i went to Demu, but thats way to far and i find the city mostly dead half the time :S If i want a guarantied chance of RP i stick to the outskirts because thats where most people are half the time. Why not up the RP XP a little and adds a couple coins to it o.o?

work in dementlieu and create rp there and more would come *nods* that is what I am trying to do as edmond, so I encourge people to try to get IC jobs in locals to work and create rp :)

Still though, half my time would be spent sitting there doing absolutely nothing in the hopes that even one person should happen to come to where ever i am, even then there is no chance that the their will really be much rp other then a couple spoken words and thats it. I have a greater chance of finding RP in the outskirts. Sads but true, at this current time its just not even worth trying, considering the cost back and forth and the danger it posses, for a small possibility for rp just isn't worth it :( Wouldn't mind making Miuo a Waitress/maid at the Inn in the outskirts if they would have her. But i don't think their the kind to employ one like Miuo XD

How about taking a companion along with her to rp with in the port, while waiting to meet other characters by chance while in the Port?  There is a lot to explore there, even for lower level characters, so long as Ouvrier and Marchand are avoided after dark, and this invariably gives rise to things to talk about ic while 'waiting' for other the rp to come along.  The outdoor cafe, Chez Leon, seems to be one of the most likely locations to eventually meet other pcs in the port and the Governor's hotel lobby is another location I've often run into other characters by chance.

Also! Don't forget the rp hot spots threat which has been used in the past by players with great success in attracting characters to outlying areas.  http://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=20521.msg244321#msg244321

Hmm, i will see about such, perhaps try and get a couple more together with her to "adventure" along the way then have them kinda just stick with her (nod nod)

Aduial

• Dark Lord
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2011, 11:48:32 AM »
What about setting a "fixed price" for some critical materials of the economy of the server , like herbs, for example?

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2011, 08:29:25 PM »
..... What does that even mean? Players buy herbs. Herbs are worth whatever players will pay for them. You can't set a "fixed price" for things players pay for, that makes no sense. I mean, how does that even work? Make a new server rule that herbs MUST be sold for 5 fang, and only 5 fang, per herb?

Aduial

• Dark Lord
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2011, 07:05:23 AM »
..... What does that even mean? Players buy herbs. Herbs are worth whatever players will pay for them. You can't set a "fixed price" for things players pay for, that makes no sense. I mean, how does that even work? Make a new server rule that herbs MUST be sold for 5 fang, and only 5 fang, per herb?

It works because there are some people that don t  care to buy them at 1500 fangs for a single bag, and this as it was said make potion cost a lot of money and more a fixed price would garantee a sort of equity in the market of herbs, you will have not  have to spend too much time gathering informations to understand how the "market of herbs" works.

Obviously can t be a server rule but perhaps can be a Barovian law, since it is well known that herbs and potions are a critical aspect of the economy between outlanders it can be understandable in IC terms a sort of regulations of that even because the herbs we pick up are "property of the count".

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2011, 07:21:32 AM »
I can't see the Barovians putting a max price law on anything, they would rather tax herbs and potions. This would have a counter productive effect, but it would make sense IC

The only ones who can regulate prices are we as players, by not selling to the ones who offer the most gold, or not buying at an inflated value

Aduial

• Dark Lord
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2011, 08:10:51 AM »

The only ones who can regulate prices are we as players, by not selling to the ones who offer the most gold, or not buying at an inflated value

sadly that is a bit utopian, i dont think it worked so far, perhaps we have to think to a different solution if we want to solve the problem

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2011, 11:55:35 AM »

It works because there are some people that don t  care to buy them at 1500 fangs for a single bag, and this as it was said make potion cost a lot of money and more a fixed price would garantee a sort of equity in the market of herbs, you will have not  have to spend too much time gathering informations to understand how the "market of herbs" works.

Obviously can t be a server rule but perhaps can be a Barovian law, since it is well known that herbs and potions are a critical aspect of the economy between outlanders it can be understandable in IC terms a sort of regulations of that even because the herbs we pick up are "property of the count".

1: You can offer to pay people 500 fang for a bag of herbs, they can take it or leave it. Personally I think paying fang for herbs is good for the player economy because it distributes money to lower level characters, who are the primary herb sellers. What I'm gathering from you is you are only concerned about yourself and your play experience and do not want to bother caring about how the system works for others.

2: ..... A Barovian law? Dictating herb purchasing? Who would enforce it, the Garda? Herb selling would continue on as normal, it would just take place not in the outskirts or not during the day. The idea continues to make no sense.

Aduial

• Dark Lord
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2011, 01:35:38 PM »
You are taking it too personal i believe, i have only maked a few suggestion calm down friend.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2011, 11:36:18 AM »
- Implemented core system for occupation and wages.

Question: how does this work, and are their jobs IG that are using this system already?

WildPirate13

« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2011, 12:53:22 PM »
Moderation. Sounds like a good idea but lets make sure it doesnt just serve the few elite's give something to the "average player"

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2011, 01:07:31 PM »
- Implemented core system for occupation and wages.

Question: how does this work, and are their jobs IG that are using this system already?

We will begin implementing those gradually as we've tested the system a bit... Stay tuned... :)

WildPirate13

« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2011, 02:41:56 PM »
Quick FYI..
 Job system has been in place for quite a long time a few MMO's CoH just to name one... total ripoff btw.. for the game $15 bucks a month and $40.00 to download with one free month.

So big YAY to the staff and potm :)

WildPirate13

« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2011, 12:13:39 PM »
Not happy with the current system...

Finding power groups have formed and becoming much much to elitist here.

I am saying this because I love the server and want it to prosper.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 12:10:42 PM by WildPirate13 »

Threefold

• Dark Lord
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2011, 06:27:31 AM »
Which system is this specifically...?

I haven't found one that encourages cliques or power groups. Apart from the ones encouraging party dungeoning, and isn't such what DnD is about?

As for RP, without powergroups and cliques, with all of us interacting together happily, we'd be a mass conglomerate of everyone and everything, and there'd be no room for animosity and distrust and privacy and all those cool things.

Hasn't Devon formed a power group / clique himself in the Rabble? Would you want to associate with, say, Zerúko and his Balor-summoning madness? Not in anything but direct opposition I'd imagine, and that'd me rarely if ever seeing him, and fighting him when you do.

Are you confusing IC unwillingness to associate with you for 'elitism'? Heck, even Martyn's unwilling to associate openly with the rabble and they're a NG organisation (far as I can tell), because you hang about with monsters, and he dosen't want the hard-building reputation of the Kinsmen to go down the drain because they're friends with the demon-lovers.

WildPirate13

« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2011, 12:28:32 PM »
I am not getting into another flame war. I will respond saying this I have always supported new players and ensuring everyone has an equal chance at being a hero villian or barmaid if thats what they want to do in IG.

Hasn't Devon formed a power group / clique himself in the Rabble?

The rabble was for anyone and designed to give new players and new characters an option of a support system, he was not a native to the realm and has given more away over the years than I can count.... his total balance IG is less than 1,000 fang btw. The archetype the character I played was NG benefactor and rped him alot and yes did alot of dungeons. IG I have supported the garda and other factions and yes he was an open minded character. I chose to play him that way and had his own facets and weaknesses. Pipeleaf addiction would be one and a few failed madness checks along the way. In five years I have not recieved any items of note and heard recently that a player I know recently recieved a +3 suit of plate.... I also heard that someone did an event that just became 8 and almost crested to level 9 in one evening!!!!

Must be nice. :) anyway still love the server etc yata yata been saying that for five + years.

I do have a wand of wonder :)

The rabble was and still is a good idea, sadly I didnt have the time to dedicate it with my full time position and other things going on. It was a rp group for action and understanding and co-operation... My take on it thats what  NG outlander would do.

Going back to source material and reading just purchased additonal  Ravenloft source material through ebay and am looking forward to refreshing my knowledge.

I dont want to focus on the negative or fall into any more pitfalls. ;) Soooo

Perhaps the thread would be better served by being called Encouraging RP. I think it goes without saying farming is boring but... I heard of certain players that have farmed the hell out of the barataks as a matter of course for weeks. Thats a whole other topic and to be honest I hope they havd fun. I know its no fun when you get to a place and find empty chests and ... nothing to be had. It is a serious investment of time and effort to get to the moderate levels on this server.

RP is not easy and I feel even the best of us slide at times.

We all want to be heros and or villans. Some of us just do it IG or are not noticed :) Thats life.

Long live POTM!

« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 12:39:50 PM by WildPirate13 »

Threefold

• Dark Lord
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2011, 02:17:23 PM »
Erm...

I'm still kind of missing your point. What was it?

You feel some people aren't being noticed enough?

You think DM's shouldn't give out good loot, or reward people with RP XP?

You feel unfavourited by DM's, and think other people are being favourited?

To be slightly blunt, you're making so many seemingly unconnected statements, it's hard to see what you're actually trying to say.

WildPirate13

« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2011, 02:38:03 PM »
Martyn GO do something constructive. I am NOT answering or participating with you anymore. Understood.

Threefold

• Dark Lord
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2011, 03:22:17 PM »
Apologies, did not mean to offend. Just trying to figure out what the problem was, will hold back from here out.

Perhaps we should both go do something constructive...
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 05:06:36 PM by Threefold »

puckwolf

• Dark Power
  • Internet Boomer
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2011, 03:29:56 PM »
and heard recently that a player I know recently recieved a +3 suit of plate....

You should always report strange loot drops or DM handouts, sometimes they're a mistake or a bug.  Unless the character was looting castle Ravenloft, a +3 armor doesn't seem right so please encourage your buddy to report it.

I also heard that someone did an event that just became 8 and almost crested to level 9 in one evening!!!!

I'm pretty sure that's impossible with the xp caps in place. 

WildPirate13

« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2011, 07:43:14 PM »
The post was from a player... who shall remain unamed to avoid further flame wars. ;) in fact he posted it himself!!! who posted that they crested during a DM event... and yes +3 plate was given out during an event. I know the player and was shocked when I heard and cross confirmed with another player IG.

Look in the forums and you will find .. the mention of who crested sooo much exp and will be shocked he is rather vocal with his flames. ;)

The platemail+3 was given out recently to a character who told me himself and other players have seen his gear.

Either way I am not posting anymore on this thread. Moving on.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 07:49:38 PM by WildPirate13 »

Vespertilio

• Never met a Dark Lord, not a
  • Dark Power
  • We can't stop here, this is bat country!
    • Messages from Nihil
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2011, 09:16:55 PM »
The post was from a player... who shall remain unamed to avoid further flame wars. ;) in fact he posted it himself!!! who posted that they crested during a DM event... and yes +3 plate was given out during an event. I know the player and was shocked when I heard and cross confirmed with another player IG.

Look in the forums and you will find .. the mention of who crested sooo much exp and will be shocked he is rather vocal with his flames. ;)

The platemail+3 was given out recently to a character who told me himself and other players have seen his gear.

Either way I am not posting anymore on this thread. Moving on.

As puck said, that +3 plate should have been reported.  There were many instances recently of items being given out which shouldn't have been, but the staff can't deal with it if they aren't informed. 

I could just run into the room and punch you in the balls; sure, that's scary. That's entertainment. But it isn't horror...