You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Hunger system  (Read 3270 times)

kvanio

• Outlander
Hunger system
« on: February 03, 2011, 08:35:41 PM »
I think a hunger system would be awesome, it would make food matter..

Like the time your online the hunger level goes up and you have to replenish it or you face a con drop.

Bato

• Dark Lord
Re: Hunger system
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 08:43:18 PM »
Oh god please no.
A hunger system is annoying.

And not just annoying it'll promote no RP in it.
It'll turn into people stopping mid-conversation to stuff a ham in their face without even acknowledge it happened at all.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 09:04:46 PM »
Oh god please no.
A hunger system is annoying.

And not just annoying it'll promote no RP in it.
It'll turn into people stopping mid-conversation to stuff a ham in their face without even acknowledge it happened at all.
This. Hunger systems are stupid and I've never experienced one that was anything other than extremely annoying.

The food system we have in place is more than adequate.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

kvanio

• Outlander
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 09:07:18 PM »
Food is just never needed,

I just thought it would be cool.

Ternce

• Undead Master
  • Ye be naught but a worm.
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 09:08:42 PM »
I'd be more interested in seeing a bathroom system where your character enters a daze-like state and randomly falls down unless you emote going to the bathroom from time to time.

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 09:46:00 PM »
*you fight hordes upon hordes of undeath as you slam your hammer down on a skull witch bursts into pieces you feel...you......feel......that nature calls you drop your hammer and your pants and start to urinate the hordes of undead to smittereens*
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Bato

• Dark Lord
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 10:18:21 PM »
I tell you hwhat.
But my dwarf keeps his bladder levels in check.
Every time he kills a giant, goblin, or orc.
Totally ignoring there are no goblins nor orcs on Ravenloft.

Dashru

• Undead Master
  • Ghoulie
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 10:19:50 PM »
I tell you hwhat.

There are goblins, just they're more like 'fairy tale' goblins.  Though they live mainly in Tempest, as Tempest is the epiphany of a "Fairy Tale Land".  

As for a hunger system? No thanks, please.   I only think hunger systems should be present when food shortages really need to be emphasized.   Maybe if Vorostokov was added as a domain.  ( Though I couldn't imagine any reason it would be!)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 10:24:20 PM by Dashru »
"...I was griefing a social server the other day, and noticed that they had some very explicit emotes that forced two characters to perform a very 'cooperative' emote. Naturally i spammed it on player corpses..." -- Papa Zarus

Threefold

• Dark Lord
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 11:05:56 PM »

Never needed?!

I ran out of food and was worried for days about being unable to heal. AND I can Lay On Hands for 24 HP every rest.

It's unneeded for Clerics and casters, perhaps, but any Figther or Barbarian (all three of them!) will tell you it's important.

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 11:09:39 PM »

Never needed?!

I ran out of food and was worried for days about being unable to heal. AND I can Lay On Hands for 24 HP every rest.

It's unneeded for Clerics and casters, perhaps, but any Figther or Barbarian (all three of them!) will tell you it's important.

i made a joke about it but hes right a bedroll and food is needed to heal properly unless you got a bag of potions that dont run empty, but beside that food is needed to heal
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 11:34:40 PM »
I tell you hwhat.

There are goblins, just they're more like 'fairy tale' goblins.  Though they live mainly in Tempest, as Tempest is the epiphany of a "Fairy Tale Land".
Yep, Tepest is literally teeming with goblins and hobgoblins.

As for a hunger system? No thanks, please.   I only think hunger systems should be present when food shortages really need to be emphasized.   Maybe if Vorostokov was added as a domain.  ( Though I couldn't imagine any reason it would be!)
Vorostokov is unlikely, but G'Henna is a possibility, and that is perhaps the only way I'd approve of any sort of hunger system, provided that it only worked while you were in that domain, like the thirst system of Har'Akir.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 03:04:06 AM »
food wasn't needed on my cleric, mostly because he could heal from anything [he still had food]
my sorc needs food, or else he would need to stock up on those potions warriors are addictedto, that he really doesnt need.
any char with more than 4 hps per level needs food, bedroll and bandages, unless they have healing spells out the wazoooo

Thoraion

• Undead Master
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 06:09:53 AM »
I think a hunger system would be awesome, it would make food matter..

Like the time your online the hunger level goes up and you have to replenish it or you face a con drop.

oh please NOT!
Hunger Systems already suck in PnP (at least when food is not supposed to be a limited factor, like in week-long dungeon crawls).
The requirement to eat before resting is all the hunger system i need. More would be just annoying. If i wanted to play a real life simulation as close to reality as possible, i would play SIMS instead.

No. Just... NO!
Currently playing:
no characters, will eventually be back

Characters in stock:
- Darian Eisenhand        - Ansgar "Frettchen" Ostvent
- Thorben Eibenfinder    - Einar Falkensang

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2011, 07:49:27 AM »
Make a Bathroom system! And make paladins pee holy water!

On a non related note: anyone else here feels that your attacjk rolls and criticals are more often when you're not hungry?

It may be just my biased opinion, however.
Noignar Huillen: Ilmater Cleric.
Hedien Gine: Arrow and Bow Artist.
Dolin Schneim: Dwarven Soldier

Psyche

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2011, 12:06:15 PM »
I always thought a good system for food would be to suffer a % xp gain hit for every level you drop under a certain threshhold - hunger thresholds that are already in potm, of course.
Thus making it non-crippling, but still useful to eat on potm.

Or being hungry could change your exhaustion variables to make hungry people exhaust faster or whatever.

Smitehammer

• Undead Slayer
  • Frohe Weihnachten
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2011, 12:23:37 PM »
Nope.  Go to Arelith if you want to eat every 3 seconds, drink every 2 seconds and see the most abhorrent rest system ever.  Ah, and everyone's always drunk, too.  Especially mages.

I like the systems in place here just fine - with possible exception of Har Akir's drinking system.  Not sure if it's been fixed, but I recall having to drink what seemed less than every 5 minutes or risk suffering an 'exhaustion' that didn't disappear upon drinking after it set in.  Not even sure actually 'resting' got rid of it.  And the canteens would be hella nice if they worked.  Maybe you could buy some, and fill them up even in Barovia at wells or something (if there are any wells without sewers beneath them) or at some pristine springs.  They could hold around 10 water units per canteen and just run 'empty' when out of charges instead of disappearing.
Wouldn't the world be better off if we took nonsense more seriously?

Metal_ash

• Dark Lord
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2011, 12:27:11 PM »
I only say...PLEASE god no! Have never come across a hunger system that has been anything else that annoying and nothing to add to RP more then people starts to eat in the middle of a conversation and what not.
I consider the presence of food here is good as it is really and nothing that need or have to be changed.
Just my opinion upon this topic.
//Cheers.

Darktide18

• Red Academy
  • Dark Lord
  • Social Butterfly
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2011, 12:29:19 PM »
Play the game to escape reality and its realistic enough as is.   :P

The Prophet of Misinformation

• Kept you waiting, huh?
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Forever #Trigger
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2011, 01:30:17 PM »
The food system we have in place is more than adequate.

I concur. Increased mechanical complexity is not tantamount to increased functionality.

If one so desires that one's character starve, one is welcome to roleplay starvation.
"The brave man inattentive to his duty, is worth little more to his country than the coward who deserts in the hour of danger."
~Andrew Jackson

BrightLights

• Outlander
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2011, 02:25:22 PM »
It's also pretty jarring to be RPing with someone for a long session and then:
*drinks*
*drinks*
*drinks*
*eats*
*eats*
*eats*
*eats*
*the person sits down and starts snoring*

kvanio

• Outlander
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2011, 11:17:10 PM »
I feel like the inventor of communism, MY B..

Just thought it would be cool.. but I guess it would only work in the perfect world.