You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Cooking/Baking craft  (Read 3049 times)

dark_majico

Cooking/Baking craft
« on: February 09, 2011, 09:01:14 AM »
I was mulling over the idea of buying some food and eating it just because my charecter was hungry, for roleplaying sake, and thought about a simple cooking system that rewards a very small and short lived bonus?

Something along the lines of prepaired food gives, cure minor wounds, resistance, fortitude bonuses. It could go something like this...

1) Raw meat is used on a copy of the campfire item (with an alterd appearance) which could be portable (but heavy), and/or used on an oven placable in a kitchen.
2) On use you get a conversation which asks you what you want to prepair. Different meals give different bonuses, with varied levels of DC checks for fails/sucsess.
3) On fail item is ruined, start over. (but can still be consumed for the general food/rest script)
4) On sucsess a partially prepaired meal is made. You use this partialy prepaired meal on another item (table, ect) and could require additional ingrediants which are foradged.
5) Another DC check is made with a higher chance of fail. You can add in as many levels of preperation and DC check to make it a challenge.
6) On sucsess you have an item that grants you a single use of whatever minor bonus you choose. After one use the item is destroyed, each item is none stacking and ought to be at least two squars large.

Its an analternate craft to alchemy and potion brewing but it gives much more restricted uses so it wont replace the crafts completly. Baking/cooking could be a usefull craft for any local/otherwise charecter whos concept dosent allow for alchemy or herbalism.

Threefold

• Dark Lord
Re: Cooking/Baking craft
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 11:08:05 AM »
If they're small and short-lived, it seems largely... Pointless.

If they're powerful enough to be desirable, it seems illogical. If you shun Alchemy/Herbalism for being magic, I think a pie that gives you laser vision is just as bad.

I know you can get Bay Leaves and Honey that give mild healing effects.... But I don't think a whole food economy is really needed. IMO, dev time is better spent elsewhere.

dark_majico

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 11:27:09 AM »
Well a resistance spell is short lived, but it can hardly be seen as pointless as it increases saving throws +1, the reason I suggested cure minor wounds, fortitude and resistance is that to me they seemed to be more physical attributes rather than mental, and I thought eating a nutritiouse hearty meal which increases fortitude makes much more sense than it bolstering will. They would have to be short lived, because increased duraions would be too powerfull and wiuldnt make sense, however I did not suggest anything wild like increased spot bonuses or search, so I think "laser vision" is a bit of an unfair comment.

Vaku

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 02:59:16 PM »
Playing on this server I have noticed that there are both natural and magical means to get a specific result, though not all overlap, this is good. Take for example Polishing cloths and magical varnishes, however there are no natural means to get an acidic varnish.

Food could be used to fill in some natural means of achieving a bonus that has been overlooked, that players would enjoy to fulfill for other players as an igniter for RP.

Just thought, POISONED FOOD :D That'd be fun!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 03:02:48 PM by Vaku »

LawfulJoe

• "Evil is a thing of perception, it depends on which end of the sword you're on"
  • Dark Power
  • aka AwfulJoe
    • Joe Kellerman - Graphic Artist
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 03:42:20 PM »
It could just make things to eat. That in itself is not a bad thing. Pies, breads, cakes, cookies, things you can use to as a meal. It doesn't need magic powers, it's RP damnit :P Make a pie stand, call it Mrs. Migguns and RP that yours is the best in town. You might make a couple of hundred fang in a couple of days, but think of all the RP you could have, that in itself is wealth. Maybe if you combined the elements of Alchemy and Bakery (1 cake + Sulfur + charcoal + bird droppings = Exploding Cake) ther ecould be some interesting combos?

Vaku

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 03:52:09 PM »
Yeah, I think all in all, a cooking system that does not turn meals into a stack of rations would do wonders for RP. Just getting the system in place would be wonderful. You can always worry about any bonuses later.

What I don't want to see is someone suggest buying the food from NPC's to then resell them as your own.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 04:07:56 PM »
I think at point we discussed having a cooking craft where the food you crafted would give you more hp on rest but I don't think we ever decided to go down that route.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Vaku

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 04:29:59 PM »
I think at point we discussed having a cooking craft where the food you crafted would give you more hp on rest but I don't think we ever decided to go down that route.

That would be neat...
Hey...
Opium brownies.

Threefold

• Dark Lord
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 05:14:11 PM »
Well a resistance spell is short lived, but it can hardly be seen as pointless as it increases saving throws +1, the reason I suggested cure minor wounds, fortitude and resistance is that to me they seemed to be more physical attributes rather than mental, and I thought eating a nutritiouse hearty meal which increases fortitude makes much more sense than it bolstering will. They would have to be short lived, because increased duraions would be too powerfull and wiuldnt make sense, however I did not suggest anything wild like increased spot bonuses or search, so I think "laser vision" is a bit of an unfair comment.

The laser vision was just a larf, sorry. >_<

Mainly the point I was failing to make is that if a character was shunning herbalism, it's likely because they're afraid of magic. Therefore, any food effect besides 'being tasty' and 'being nutritious' is likely to be just as scary to them. If they're useful enough to an adventurer, they're magic. If they're not useful to an adventurer... Why aren't we just RPing it?

With the resistance example, you then have the fairly surreal occurance of a Monk stuffing down a cornish pasty whilst charging into a fight to increase his chance of resisting spells thrown at you.

I just don't see where it might work and still make sense and fit in, without massively complicating the food/hunger system. Maybe you could have different grades of food quality to increase rest-based recovery, but I don't think that's the sort of thing it makes sense to base an entire craft around. Maybe just make Food Rations poor food, stuff like Chicken decent food, and the exotic import non-vallaki stuff expensive food. Even that seems overdoing it a bit.

I'm mainly thinking dev time.

If it's a coin-flip between Cooking and, say, Enchantment or Trapmaking, I think it's obvious which has the more significant niche.

Telkar

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 05:48:49 PM »
I think poisoned food would be worth doing like Vaku mentioned. I know Opium works sort of like poison, but to have food like that with more potent a poison might be a fun system for RP. Imagine a sly assassin targeting a PC with a bounty on his head by inviting him to dinner. ;) ...beats straight out PvP at least.

Threefold

• Dark Lord
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 06:25:30 PM »
I think poisoned food would be worth doing like Vaku mentioned. I know Opium works sort of like poison, but to have food like that with more potent a poison might be a fun system for RP. Imagine a sly assassin targeting a PC with a bounty on his head by inviting him to dinner. ;) ...beats straight out PvP at least.

Such a niche, though, and with a full system built to support it, it'd either be a waste of time developing, or become overused quickly, as everyone suddenly begins inviting their worst enemies to dinner and the printing press in Dementleiu breaks down with all the dinner invites from vampires to paladins and such get pushed through.

Telkar

• Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 06:47:55 PM »

Such a niche, though, and with a full system built to support it, it'd either be a waste of time developing, or become overused quickly, as everyone suddenly begins inviting their worst enemies to dinner and the printing press in Dementleiu breaks down with all the dinner invites from vampires to paladins and such get pushed through.

I don't think a full foodmaking system to back this up would be worth it either, but the poisoned food in the server somehow would be nice. Everything can be "overused", and the players decide how much they want to use it. If they use it much, then that's what they like to do, which is enough of a justification as it's what gives them enjoyment.

Badelaire

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 07:09:21 PM »
Ravenloft is a setting that takes many (and often blatantly ripped off) inspirations from literary horror and past history. Dracula (Strahd, Vlad Drakov), Frankenstein (Adam), Hounds of the Baskervilles (Aspects of Mordent), Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde (Malken), Dorian Grey(Name escapes me at the mo, he's literally grey), Pinnochio (Odiare domain) to name a fraction but I don't believe I've seen sight nor sound of...

Sweeny Todd.

When I think of cooking and baking in any setting I just get images of fully armoured knights in pinnies and aprons trying to sell their cookies door-to-door. Ravenloft should take something innocent and mundane and twist into something sinister and messed up....pie anyone? I can think of a few PC's I'd love to feed their loved ones too mwahahahahaaa [choke-cough]
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 07:15:25 PM by Badelaire »

Miuo

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 08:11:36 PM »
Ravenloft is a setting that takes many (and often blatantly ripped off) inspirations from literary horror and past history. Dracula (Strahd, Vlad Drakov), Frankenstein (Adam), Hounds of the Baskervilles (Aspects of Mordent), Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde (Malken), Dorian Grey(Name escapes me at the mo, he's literally grey), Pinnochio (Odiare domain) to name a fraction but I don't believe I've seen sight nor sound of...

Sweeny Todd.

When I think of cooking and baking in any setting I just get images of fully armoured knights in pinnies and aprons trying to sell their cookies door-to-door. Ravenloft should take something innocent and mundane and twist into something sinister and messed up....pie anyone? I can think of a few PC's I'd love to feed their loved ones too mwahahahahaaa [choke-cough]

(Adds Badelaire to list of people to never be left alone with in a room) o,.o

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2011, 08:14:39 PM »

Sweeny Todd.

I totally can see sweeny todd as a villian in dementlieu. *nods*

Threefold

• Dark Lord
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2011, 09:57:29 PM »

I don't think a full foodmaking system to back this up would be worth it either, but the poisoned food in the server somehow would be nice. Everything can be "overused", and the players decide how much they want to use it. If they use it much, then that's what they like to do, which is enough of a justification as it's what gives them enjoyment.

Oh, yeah, poisoned food would be cool, but I just don't see why it needs an item and mechanics behind it. Either it would need a new custom script written, or it would be an item obvious enough to say 'Single Use - Poison - Self Only', in which case the only reason it is being ignored is for sake of good RP, so if it's all RP anyway, why not cut out the middleman and just have poisoned food?

Sooner or later it'd become impossible to use it effectively since everyone would just buy their own food from vendors or kill deer themselves to avoid the risk. And if they DID get hit, heck, there's five types of potions that'd remove it's effect.

I'd imagine that if a player was likely to fall for mechanically poisoned food, they'd allow you to use it in RP, and probably to much greater extent than mechanically poisoned food would harm them.

dark_majico

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2011, 10:15:16 PM »
Poison anything is hard to create with NWN bewcause of the mechanics, unless there is a way to fire a script automaticly whenever an item with a speacial property is used. You see a speacial property and an on use activate item look entirly different so you would know if something was poisoned just by examining it, unless there is a clever way to make a script fire when a charecter uses a particular item with a speacial property, in which case the script would then need to either apply a poison affect (which wouldnt do much good because poisons dont do anyhting seriouse to you in NWN, unlike in Baldures gate) or it would just reduce your HP to -1 to simulate a decent poison affect.

Mind you, you could get around that completly if you created bottles that had use activate item touch propertys on them to act as potions, then a poisoned item would be unrecognisable by examining them, but that takes more resorces to do so would it be worth it?