You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Rest Message exp  (Read 1398 times)

Khornite

• Grognard
  • Undead Master
Rest Message exp
« on: February 01, 2011, 01:24:39 AM »
I was requested to resubmit this thread.

After a recent update when the changes were made to the rest message (As of a few weeks back), me and several others noticed that "Fairly Eventful" has been omitted from the rest message. I had asked a few DM's and none seem to have an answer. Could someone possibly shed some light on this?
"No, you." -Captain America

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
Re: Rest Message exp
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 08:19:17 AM »
Sorry, went to check on it but never got back around to share what I found.

The change is solely in the wording - the one that used to say something about fairly eventful now states something along the lines of "and though you haven't been entirely idle, ..."

Kenkaku

• Undead Master
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 10:22:52 AM »
Sorry, went to check on it but never got back around to share what I found.

The change is solely in the wording - the one that used to say something about fairly eventful now states something along the lines of "and though you haven't been entirely idle, ..."

I believe that may be a slight problem to tell you the truth. Before the recent update, I believe there were five levels of 'Activity' possible for your rest message: "Close to Nothing has happened", "Not been completely Inactive", "Fairly Eventful", "Satisfied", and "Proud". Each of these describes how active you've been fairly well, I think, but with the omission of "Fairly Eventful" it almost seems as if the xp progression has slowed immensely. Which I know it hasn't.

Also, the new "Haven't been entirely idle" message seems to be the "Not been completely inactive" message. By this I mean, My level 12 character beat down five CR8 and maybe a dozen CR3 wolves (Which he gets no xp from), rested and got that message. I've even gotten it when only smacking around a few CR5's and 6's.

So, Maybe adding in another middle-ground message would be beneficial? As it is, the messages seem to go from "You've done nothing", completely skips over moderate activity and goes straight to "Congratz! You accomplished something! Cookie?" This can be somewhat discouraging to some players as it really doesn't reflect their activity all that well and makes them feel as if they really haven't made any progress in the way of xp.

Personally, I couldn't care less if you do or not, but I believe there has been a general concern about it across the player-base about various xp-related topics. Might help to cool a few heads and make people feel a little better about their characters progression.

Just throwing it out there. I think that's what Khornite may be eluding to as well, but I'm not entirely sure. *shrugs*
I am but a blade, A simple tool of destruction.

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 10:31:10 AM »
There has always been four "levels" of that part of the message, but the "fairly eventful" varied with one other formulation depending on the time period between rests.

Kenkaku

• Undead Master
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 04:46:08 PM »
Perhaps a fifth 'level' should be added in, then? As it is, I've heard and read a number of complaints about the 'lack' of xp progression due to the 'Not Completely Idle' message being so broad. I believe it might help alleviate the feel of tediousness and lack of accomplishment were an official 'Middle-ground' be set into the rest messages.
I am but a blade, A simple tool of destruction.