Author Topic: Incoming change - Raise and resurrection ingredient requirements.  (Read 63968 times)

Jay

• Dark Power
Re: Incoming change - Raise and resurrection ingredient requirements.
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2011, 04:25:16 PM »
Suggestion:

Raises costing amounts proportional to how far the target differs from your beliefs.

A LG priest raising a LG character is free as before, for instance. Everyone one-step away costs half the 'full' price (In example, NG or LN). Everyone else costs full.

This again encourages knowing Priests that abide by your faiths or close enough.

Yeah i have to admit, that Sentire Constinus -always- giveing me an unfavourable reaction as a merchant, despite the fact that Grevis is a Templar of his flock, does srike me as a little odd.

Springer

• Dark Lord
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2011, 04:34:35 PM »
What I am afraid of is that this change will generate:
1. More clique adventuring (people would be travelling into dungeons with their friends more, less parties that would be formed through RP, moe through OOC tells)
2. Clerics would raise only their friends, and even more of situations when you travelled far from Vallaki spending like 30 mins to travel, then someone dies and you need to return all the way back there, so people would start sticking closer to temples.
Ricard Dateel
Tullus Araphenson

marlewebber

« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2011, 04:54:09 PM »
But the important question now is, could a cleric use resurrection to purposely make zombie players now?

If so, I might roll an evil cleric.
the zombie thing still works the same way and will not change; it won't depend on whether you have diamonds or not

Forgive me for asking to clarify:
1: so it will be impossible to Raise/Ressurrect without a diamond (awesome if true)
2: such an attempt will constitute a failure of the spell, resulting in a "Zombie Raise" (also awesome if true)
3: Norture will roll an evil cleric.. j/k
4: Is it considered grief by the community if one deliberately transforms IC enemies into zombies?
5: Will clerics have always known about this IC?

*edit spelling
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 04:55:44 PM by marlewebber »

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2011, 05:05:33 PM »
1. yes
2. no
3. probably
4. shouldn't be if there is RP behind it
5. maybe?

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2011, 05:10:34 PM »
Too bad, I like the idea of not having a diamond causing an auto-fail, thus zombies popping up for trying to cast the spell without a diamond.

marlewebber

« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2011, 05:13:59 PM »
What I took from DM Bluebombers post was that the zombie thing works the same whether there are diamonds or not, so that's why I sought the clarification, it is definitely related to PCs being aware of the requirement all along, perhaps one fun suggestion would be to make the diamonds +75% raise success or something and additional value adds to the success %, so that presumably a highly dark-powered cleric in a Sink Hole of Evil could use a kings ransom in diamonds to raise someone with a modicum of success... just an idea!

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2011, 05:33:26 PM »
what I got from Blue, No Diamond no spell at all, Diamond as it was

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2011, 05:41:34 PM »
What Springer brings up is probably a side effect of this system.

Personally If I have limited diamonds on my clerics then I certainly will only use them on their friends and allies. If the deceased have their own diamonds then I will be happy to oblige. The days of the friendly helping cleric stranger are done. And death in a dungeon means end of fun, unless you bring scrolls, or have a load of diamonds.

I don't like this system one bit, but like Shady said its not my server, and I can certainly adapt, unwillingly, and game on.
I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.

Psyche

« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2011, 06:22:13 PM »
I love how PotMers are already making alteration suggestions on a system that has been live for >24 hours.
Classic.

Iconoclast

• Church of the Lawgiver
  • Dark Power
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2011, 06:22:56 PM »

Happens every time.   :mrgreen:

Threefold

• Dark Lord
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2011, 06:27:08 PM »
'twas just a thought. If this system had been put up as a suggestion about a month ago that was to be implemented, I would have made the suggestion then.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2011, 06:28:05 PM »
doom saying also, I always look forward to the doomsaying connected with new scripts and systems and changes

jugnaut

• Dark Lord
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2011, 06:46:43 PM »
I love how PotMers are already making alteration suggestions on a system that has been live for >24 hours.
Classic.

haha true, but this does seem like a particularly bad system.  Like the "badly impaired" body system.   It basically makes PC cleric raises obsolete.  Why would I ever raise someone as a PC cleric? Most likely diamond buying will make me pay a higher price to raise someone than taking them to an NPC, AND there is a chance that they'll come back as a zombie.  I'm all for limiting raises.  Perhaps to a certain number within a given period of time?  But this swings back too hard the other way.  

Side-effects:
It will discourage risk taking
It will lead to more dead pcs
It will lead to more cliques/less adventuring with folks you don't trust or know oocly
It will lead to more ooc frustration for those that are killed

Positives:
It will lead to death being more meaningful, basically most lowbie deaths will likely be perma's.  Goodbye the days of a friendly cleric helping a stranger.

Reminder, changes aren't always for the better.  "Sometimes the grass isn't greener on the other side, sometimes it's just a dirt field."

P.S. Why punish clerics? We should be punishing spamming of HIPS! How about a diamond for everytime you use HIPS! haha
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 06:48:54 PM by jugnaut »

Mortimer-uber hin
Istvan Csapek-"hm hm hm"
Erik Draven-Ezra's Anchorite
Kalmah-Ex-Vardo

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2011, 06:48:04 PM »
To be fair, most systems require more of a wait and see approach.

Making resurrection an ability that requires inventory items is pretty self evident. I was a big fan of the exhaustion system, when others weren't and I know quite a few that still don't like it one bit. It doesn't stop them from playing here. This won't stop me from playing here, but I don't like it.
I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.

Phosphorus

• New to the Mists
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2011, 06:49:51 PM »
Classic.

Such a demanding change to game mechanic without prompting the question to the playerbase first is going to assuredly have such a reaction, whether its THE END OF RAVENLOFT or HELL YEAH THIS IS AWESOME.

I have strong feelings about a system because I predominately played on Zombie Survival's for a number of years, so I'm VERY used to a system that requires items other than a scroll/cleric. I still put forward my suggestion and wish the DMs would consider a system that affects roleplay and character reaction as opposed to a system that is tied to economy with a roleplay aspect tacked on.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2011, 07:02:31 PM »
it was asked to the playerbase ages ago, within the question "Do we want more consequences for death"

Phosphorus

• New to the Mists
« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2011, 07:06:00 PM »
it was asked to the playerbase ages ago, within the question "Do we want more consequences for death"

That's an incredibly vague question. Nearly everyone here would say yes to that question, but there would be many deviations if they added "...that include a material component that costs a mid-to-high amount of gold."

Psyche

« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2011, 07:08:18 PM »
You're right. It would be a vague question if there weren't 8-10, wasn't it? 8-10 highly specific poll responses you could ticky.

In short, lurk moar.

jugnaut

• Dark Lord
« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2011, 07:12:10 PM »
How about a limit of raises per day? (1 or 2 raises per reset?)  Or even taking the coins from the PC and having them disappear would be better than having to buy diamonds, guess the correct amount, and hopefully laying down the correct amount for a raise.  

A DM TPK will really cause a freak out now.  Or deaths by lag.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 07:14:02 PM by jugnaut »

Mortimer-uber hin
Istvan Csapek-"hm hm hm"
Kalmah-Ex-Vardo

Springer

• Dark Lord
« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2011, 07:12:35 PM »
Also will there be diamond trader in Har'akir and Blaustein?
Ricard Dateel
Tullus Araphenson

Aahz

• Dark Power
  • People don't like to be meddled with.
« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2011, 07:14:29 PM »
You're right. It would be a vague question if there weren't 8-10, wasn't it? 8-10 highly specific poll responses you could ticky.

In short, lurk moar.

and in that poll "   What sort of consequences would  you like to see more of?"

More penalizing death system    - 5 (2.7%)
had the lowest number of votes!!!

Harder to return from death    - 12 (6.5%)
was the first option to break two digitgs

More risk of permanent negative consequences of DM events    - 22 (11.8%)
was the next highest option after that.... so Its quite plain where the majority of the players stood.

http://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=20718.0
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 07:21:52 PM by Aahz »
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2011, 07:19:08 PM »
this isn't more penalizing, most people pay the NPCs the same/more than the new system anyway

jugnaut

• Dark Lord
« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2011, 07:21:43 PM »
this isn't more penalizing, most people pay the NPCs the same/more than the new system anyway

It will be cheaper to use an NPC.  Or at the very least the same if you have exactly the correct amount of diamonds...and with PC raises there's the risk of coming back as a zombie.   So....my PC cleric is going to carry bodies to NPC's now and lose an important ability he had.  I do like limiting raises, but this will need a lot of tweeks.  

On first glance:
Small diamond 596 gold
regular diamond 2980 gold

So how many to I need to raise someone? That's awfully expensive.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 07:29:33 PM by jugnaut »

Mortimer-uber hin
Istvan Csapek-"hm hm hm"
Kalmah-Ex-Vardo

Dhark

• Dark Power
  • Ladul !
« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2011, 07:29:56 PM »
I think this system has some merit , and I hope it doesn't affect current play styles regarding farming ninja looting (Though I feel it might make an already bad situation worse, but fingers crossed)

However I do like the way we are getting closer & closer to the Ravenloft "danger of death" ..no friendly temples spattered across every city like Faerun, & greater cost/toil/searching to raise fallen friends.  :D

I might suggest maybe a co-operative casting over the fallen, so as to ensure sucsess & lessen the risk of raising friend as undead (I also hope one day to see other types, not just zombies) ...Off the top of my head , a protection from evil cast by an arcane caster , or another cleric of the SAME faith as that which is to raise the fallen ?

I'm not saying I hate the change & want it watered down , I'm just suggesting a more so-operative & player inclusive method might lessen (not forefit) the inherant risks & help to focus on the RP surrounding death & its banishment , not make it simply a monetary issue.

It may sound like a whine , but I hope this change  affects play in the way its intended & maybe one day someone will actually hold a funeral  :P

kvanio

• Outlander
« Reply #74 on: January 25, 2011, 07:38:26 PM »
Now the only people who are going to survive are the MPCs...

ADD: NWN RAVENLOFT....

ENTERING....

HARDCORE MODE

« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 07:47:25 PM by kvanio »