You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Fairly Eventful?  (Read 2712 times)

Khornite

• Grognard
  • Undead Master
Fairly Eventful?
« on: January 12, 2011, 04:37:12 PM »
I noticed after the recent update, try as I might, I can't get a fairly eventful in the rest message, just 'Satisfied' and 'havent been completely inactive'. I asked around and a few people are saying the same thing. Was it removed for some reason?
"No, you." -Captain America

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
Re: Fairly Eventful?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 04:42:34 PM »
nothing  has been changed in the XP system in recent updates, might be a decimal has shifted. Or people have leveled, the cap has changed, other things regarding their chars have changed compared etc

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 04:59:17 PM »
still getting prouds, so the messages are still in there
I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.

Khornite

• Grognard
  • Undead Master
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 07:01:44 PM »
Yea, all the messages seem to be there, just can't get a fairly eventful, kind of weird.

Thoraion

• Undead Master
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 03:01:04 AM »
On a sidenote, with the changes to the messages (i took a break of 2 months...) my confusion has more increased than lessened.
Pitiable as it may seem, but the hierarchy of the various components of messages is completely intransparent to me.

That goes so far that i can still say that proud is maybe the highest achievable rating, followed by satisfied and... well, i can only guess then comes fairly eventful and not completely inactive.

But besides that, i can only get fairly eventful combined with dissatisfied.
*shrug*
Currently playing:
no characters, will eventually be back

Characters in stock:
- Darian Eisenhand        - Ansgar "Frettchen" Ostvent
- Thorben Eibenfinder    - Einar Falkensang

jugnaut

• Dark Lord
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 08:15:01 AM »
On a sidenote, with the changes to the messages (i took a break of 2 months...) my confusion has more increased than lessened.
Pitiable as it may seem, but the hierarchy of the various components of messages is completely intransparent to me.

That goes so far that i can still say that proud is maybe the highest achievable rating, followed by satisfied and... well, i can only guess then comes fairly eventful and not completely inactive.

*shrug*

Yeah, they don't tell you anything, it's best to just ignore them.  You're probably getting the xp regardless, the messages just don't tell you.  It's not like the old messages that told you where you were.  These are based on time of rest or something like that so it makes it impossible to know how you are doing.

Mortimer-uber hin
Istvan Csapek-"hm hm hm"
Erik Draven-Ezra's Anchorite
Kalmah-Ex-Vardo

Zedrik

• Warbird
  • Dark Lord
  • The Hellrabbits are watching you.
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 07:54:46 PM »
When I RP with Werner, it's usually the fairly eventful message I get when I rest.
Pretty much every time.
Unless I've done some high level dungeoning. Which is like... Rare.

Warning: Don't provoke the high-level Falkovnian wizard. He bites. (And not in the good way.)

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 05:33:04 AM »
they are actually quite informative, if you read the whole message

Khornite

• Grognard
  • Undead Master
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 06:08:52 AM »
Yea, i've got the rest messages down to like a science, gotta pay attention to them!

Thoraion

• Undead Master
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 11:27:15 AM »
Yea, i've got the rest messages down to like a science, gotta pay attention to them!
Since i usually get the same messages (in every component with very little differences) and the wording in those different components is either totally different or meaning about the same (in terms of language, not in the intended message of course), analyzing lacks a sufficient base of information.
In addition, the differences in the hours preceding different messages usually don't give me a clue on why a certain component of the message might have changed.
It seems that the key to understanding the messages is playing much more than i do - and changing the playing style from time to time to provoke changes in the messages.  Thanks, i prefer to stick to the roleplaying part. Deciphering the messages requires way too much additional effort for me, that makes the messages completely useless to me now.
Two years ago i found them to be helpful. Now that opinion has changed significantly (due to the changes to complexity of the messages as well changes to the XP system).

Edit: besides that - how helpful are status messages that you can only understand after a long, long time. Think of players new to the server that may not even be aware of a system behind the changing messages.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 11:30:31 AM by Thoraion »
Currently playing:

Characters in stock:

Bato

• Dark Lord
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 03:54:55 PM »
While you haven't been entirely idle, I mean you did genocide every Lycanthrope Pirate but c'mon. You think you would achieve more taking things more along your level, like Thor or Zeus.  Nonetheless you feel at home in your chosen path, and despite sitting around on your arse you lazy bum. You feel all fresh to take it all in. And whatever the Mists throw at you you're sure you can use it to your advantage or kill you in a horrible bloody terrifying manner.

Khornite

• Grognard
  • Undead Master
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011, 09:32:07 PM »
While you haven't been entirely idle, I mean you did genocide every Lycanthrope Pirate but c'mon. You think you would achieve more taking things more along your level, like Thor or Zeus.  Nonetheless you feel at home in your chosen path, and despite sitting around on your arse you lazy bum. You feel all fresh to take it all in. And whatever the Mists throw at you you're sure you can use it to your advantage or kill you in a horrible bloody terrifying manner.

Sums up how I feel exactly. when you take the first three levels of the Lich Tower and get "havent been completely inactive" it's like a smack in the face

Thoraion

• Undead Master
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2011, 11:33:25 AM »
Sums up how I feel exactly. when you take the first three levels of the Lich Tower and get "havent been completely inactive" it's like a smack in the face

seconded. As it is now, it feels more discouraging than holding usefull information.

Sad as it is, the rest messages appear quite useless to me - with the exception of the part that tells me how far along the way to the next level i am, though that stretches like chewing gum.

I know that any part of the message holds information - but to draw any use from that knowledge, i need to know which mechanisms are covered by which element of the message and what different versions of an element may mean.
Besides that, i'm getting in nearly all elements the same message for more than half a year now, so i can't even guess the information behind the text. well, in one aspect the message for sure is true... i am indeed dissatisfied.

What i know is that the first element indicates the progress in terms of gained XPs - but since it does not hold any information about how much progress has been made, that's of no use to me. I am getting told it changed now to indicating average efficiency of the time since the last rest - but honestly, what is that supposed to tell me?
Great, i know intense roleplay may result in a "satisfied" result, so that gets me more XPs than dungeoneering. But since my last level up occured 7 months ago, that information lacks excitement as well.

@Soren: maybe you can publish a documentation of what the messages mean.

But even if i can read the messages now, i have the impression that Soren is quite eager to make even the information drawn from it becomes less and less usefull - see the first part that used to contain the progress since the last rest.
Currently playing:

Characters in stock:

Miuo

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2011, 07:13:14 PM »
I usually don't really pay them much mind till i see "You are close to mastering you're skills" or such, since thats the only time i know where i remotely am. ^-^ :cheer:

dark_majico

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2011, 02:58:24 PM »

*shrug*

Oh the best way to remove yourself from any confusion is to ignore the damn things anyway, they mostly look like they have been translated from foreign to American/English, they allmost allways contradict themselves, and they cannot possibly take into account what you have actually done in game, you could have been part of a band of adventurers hired to slay a dragon and rescue an entire town from destruction and you would still get...

Not much has happend since your last rest and you cant help but feel dissatisfied

They don't want us knowing what experience points we have, just be completely in the dark, you would have less frustration trying to stop the tide coming in.

GET ME A BIGGER BUCKET!  :panic:

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2011, 03:07:16 PM »
well you know what of the 4 25% windows you are in