You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Tailoring Dummies  (Read 5365 times)

ActuallyAgirl

• Outlander
Tailoring Dummies
« on: January 08, 2011, 08:31:40 PM »
I'm relatively new to the community. I've tried finding a place here twice before and had a hard time of it but I'm back again for a third try. I'm extremely persistant. =)

I play a seamstress character. While it's easy enough for me to make clothing for female PC's, it's a nightmare trying to make male clothing from a female PC. Is there any chance that tailoring mannequins/models can be added in the near future?

Delete Me

• Bah humbug
  • Dark Lord
Re: Tailoring Dummies
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 08:59:46 PM »
I heart this idea.
Delete Me.

Forsaken_Warrior

• Just lurkin'
  • Undead Master
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 10:13:35 PM »
Would be an excellent addition imo
Played:
Juste Moreaux
Valenious Calan
Antonio Vezzoni (rip in pepperoni)

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
  • Fata volentem ducunt, nolentem trahunt
    • Facebook page
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 12:18:03 AM »
Killer taylor dummies?
http://www.facebook.com/CiaranII
Pokemon Go! 5688 6574 4676

Miuo

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 12:26:30 AM »
I agree with this idea, poor miuo had to go about and abduct some guy to be her model. Was all rather awkward. Tailor dummies would make crafting soooooooo much easier.

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
    • Facebook page
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 12:27:09 AM »
Yes yes murder tailor dummies, I like the idea...

rabidsmily

• Undead Slayer
  • Picture not related.
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 04:14:22 AM »
Yes yes murder tailor dummies, I like the idea...

Prisoners of the Mist Fact:

Alavra Srune'Lett was killed by a tailoring dummy when she was a level 1 character in the OOC new character creation area.

As a recovering World-of-Warcraft player, I thought that the tailoring dummies were DPS testing dummies, so I attacked one. It promptly counter-attacked with 20 points of explosive damage and promptly sent her to the Near Ethereal. I had to request DM Mephisto raise me, causing much confusion because my first death in Prisoners of the Mist was even before I had entered the Demi-Plane of Dread.

Forget rats and beetles, Ravenloft is such a horrible place that even the mannequins can one-shot a rogue.

Characters: Alavra Srune'Lett, James Finesworth, Prescott Bowley, Grisil, Toshio Ninomiya, Eshen Soldusk, Emilio Shrewtamer, Blago Ashcard, Hoogliuter

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
  • Shadow calls... shadow whispers...
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 04:40:23 AM »
we use trees for dps :)
Has been described as a sometimey player

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 06:19:10 AM »
I actually think it's quite cool you need to use models, but I can imagine that not being handy on the long term.
Does add to the RP though! And great idea to RP a seamstress.

Although those dummies would indeed be sweet, although I don't know if it possible to like... place down a static male NPC in undergarments and have him be useable as a "storage", so that the items you put in him are automatically equipped. If that's doable with code... it could actually be possible, but I know no in-game example of precisely this (although I've not campaigned a lot, hehe)

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 06:22:13 AM »
though I am not sure if barovia would use tailoring dummies, the port would have them I imagine though. Of course the port would also likely have people willing to be models too.

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 06:29:03 AM »
though I am not sure if barovia would use tailoring dummies, the port would have them I imagine though. Of course the port would also likely have people willing to be models too.

True, but Barovia has a noble class as well, including some parties at the Blue Water inn I would guess?
Even commoners need clothes, you could also be a seamstress who adjusts poor clothing and knits woolen boots to worn pants, might even be more interesting than real "fashion".

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 06:35:15 AM »
well they don't have a real nobility, as strahd confiscated all their land :D but they are mostly now rich merchants trying to hold onto any vestiges of their old glory. But Barovia doesn't go for fashion largely. Their clothes are more about what is pratical. A lot of them work in farms, or do other labor intensive jobs. so you are right about the seamstress who would likely probably provide clothing for a few people/household or so forth.

dark_majico

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011, 01:48:33 PM »

I cant see any reason why Barovia wouldn't have them, there is a noble quarter, and even the peasant dresses need to be made up, and a tailors dummie is a tool, its not really a fashion accessory or any such item.

The thing is though, I allways considered Ravenloft to be different to all the other modules out there on the web, and better than by far, because PotM strives to be different. While ActuallyAgirl has come from a place where you can create a character and roleplay that you are a master/expert of a trade from character creation, doesn't PotM try to avoid that where possible? The master tailors are allready in the world, they are the npc's, and we are the pc's, we have to learn skills and play them out in game. Clothing textiles (as in clothes and armor) are portrayed very differently here on PoTM, you cant just go into a central tailors shop and buy/use every dye available in game, you have to buy them from certain places, and travel to different city's/towns to buy extravagant dyes. The clothes you purchase from the merchant aren't all 1gp each, a gown from Demutriloo (spelling?) costs more than a Barovian peasants dress. There is a certain level of balance in PotM and wouldn't a tailoring dummy risk throwing off that balance?

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
    • Facebook page
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2011, 01:59:21 PM »
*ignores the rest of the conversation and with a Homer-Simpson-like moan says:* Killer Dummies....

Miuo

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 01:19:35 PM »
People can craft clothing them selves as is, i don't see how that would effect anything other then being able to craft for the opposite sex?

Threefold

• Dark Lord
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2011, 11:08:57 PM »
stuff

I don't think being a tailor counts as an epic background. :P

And for another thing, way NWN is set up, it's just as hard to craft a perfect, elaborate dress, or a customised suit of well-fitting armour, as it is to craft a pile of street urchin's rags, or a shirt and slacks.

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 04:13:22 AM »
Pulling of any commoner char in an interesting way, imo, is quite epic.
Much harder than a heroic brave stereotype character at least.

Threefold

• Dark Lord
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 05:34:08 AM »
Pulling of any commoner char in an interesting way, imo, is quite epic.
Much harder than a heroic brave stereotype character at least.

I meant epic as in against-the-rules-epic. As in level 20+ 'epic'.

I was mainly talking about this quote:

While ActuallyAgirl has come from a place where you can create a character and roleplay that you are a master/expert of a trade from character creation, doesn't PotM try to avoid that where possible?

ActuallyAgirl

• Outlander
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2011, 11:44:22 PM »
I was just wondering if this was something that was happening.

I'm having a difficult time RPing a seamstress who makes clothing for men. I cant make a male PC to just make clothes and then transfer to my female PC because it sets of the muling script. Sooooo, does anyone have any advice on how I can tailor clothing for male PC's with my female PC? And finding a model isn't as easy as it seems.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2011, 11:47:35 PM »
Have you tried putting an IC advertisment out? both IG and on the forums?

ActuallyAgirl

• Outlander
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2011, 06:51:56 PM »
*gentle nudge* Is there any update on whether or not the tailoring mannequins was something that might happen?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 06:53:39 PM by ActuallyAgirl »

Miuo

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2011, 11:59:24 PM »
[Hopes for such as well]  :awesomeface:

Daboomer

• Dark Power
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2011, 02:32:30 AM »
You make sure Ragnall loses a bet and makes him wear various shirts with really big and many Daisy's all over :D

ActuallyAgirl

• Outlander
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2013, 06:07:21 AM »
I have just returned to the server after a hiatus and thought hey.. its been a couple years soooOOo I'll ask about this again. Has the tailoring dummies been implemented? If not, is there ay chance of it happening?

RedwizardD

• Scrollord
  • Dark Power
  • Avoid Attention - Critical Failure
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2013, 07:08:21 PM »
The current armor customization system lets you modify most gear wherever you are for only a minor cost and without needing crafting ranks. There doesn't appear to have been much talk of having dummies to model clothing. You might be able to 'test' your designs on the dye dummies though.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 07:11:11 PM by RedwizardD »