You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Screen Resolution won't scale - Removing the black area around the sides  (Read 4837 times)

Feronius

• Dark Power
Got a new laptop, using Windows 7 and having a pretty damn high HD resoltion.

Now NVN is not made for such a high resolution, putting it on the 1900+ my laptop has results into a miniscule UI... but anything lower causes a black area around the sides, resulting in a just as small UI.
With my Windows XP comp I could launch the game, at which it automatically adjusted to the right screen resolution and back when exiting. However when I try anything like that here the only change is on the background, but whatever I try NVN remains the very same... a huge black area around it and a miniscule UI.
I've already tried the compatibility changes and adjustments, even setting my screen resolution manually, but none of it has any effect whatsoever.

How the heck do I fix this issue? (I bet it's something very simple I haven't tried yet.. or hope so!)
I just want a 1024x600 resolution on my game when it launches (or anything which makes the letters readable without binoculairs), scaled to take up 100% of my monitor instead of a mere 40% with a big black void area around it. If anyone has experienced similar issues (no doubt happened.. but I found no related topics though) please lend me a hand?

Arcane Archers

• Undead Slayer
Re: Screen Resolution won't scale - Removing the black area around the sides
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 07:05:20 PM »
Same for me. I couldn't figure out how to fix it, but I run Vista, so I just figured Vista screwed it up like it does everything else.
Alexandru Nicolai Starkova: The Twitchycreepy
Tib-Tib: The Dwellers Feral Attack Dog

Misan

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 10:49:53 PM »
Try using an older driver for your video card.  NWN is an old game and the newer drivers give it fits.  If you do not have a separate video card, but onboard, you will need to find an older driver for that. 

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 02:07:34 AM »
Got a new laptop, using Windows 7 and having a pretty damn high HD resoltion.

Now NVN is not made for such a high resolution, putting it on the 1900+ my laptop has results into a miniscule UI... but anything lower causes a black area around the sides, resulting in a just as small UI.
With my Windows XP comp I could launch the game, at which it automatically adjusted to the right screen resolution and back when exiting. However when I try anything like that here the only change is on the background, but whatever I try NVN remains the very same... a huge black area around it and a miniscule UI.
I've already tried the compatibility changes and adjustments, even setting my screen resolution manually, but none of it has any effect whatsoever.

How the heck do I fix this issue? (I bet it's something very simple I haven't tried yet.. or hope so!)
I just want a 1024x600 resolution on my game when it launches (or anything which makes the letters readable without binoculairs), scaled to take up 100% of my monitor instead of a mere 40% with a big black void area around it. If anyone has experienced similar issues (no doubt happened.. but I found no related topics though) please lend me a hand?

I think this is more of a display thing, than a software/video card thing.  My monitor has a setting that allows me to display things either actual size, or scaled.  Has nothing to do with the rest of the computer, though.

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 06:11:06 AM »
Any idea where such a setting would be? It's a laptop so everything is onboard and running an older driver doesn't seem to be the answer.

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 06:59:23 AM »
Also trying to find an override atm that might do the trick, possibly one making my UI elements larger or something..
If anyone can point me in the right direction, please do. Until then.. I'll grab my binoculars and search on.

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 05:58:00 PM »
I installed a bunch of cool overrides and figured I'd just get used to it, which I have.. but....

Now I have no character on my customization screen anymore, wth?
I actually made backups of my override beforehand, but even trying those still does not show the character in the "Customize" tab of character creation.
It's like the entire char creation process works fine... but when reaching the "Customize" part, I don't see the actual character (the char section is just black, bit hard to customize then?)

Now I don't know if it's any override (seeing I tried reversing that process and it did not help) or something else.
The other two alternatives would be:
- The NVN shader download, improves your graphics a bit, although I doubt that's connected with this? No idea.
- Buying my new laptop, I have no idea if that's the case as I did not try create a new character as of today on my laptop (and I even only tried making a new char to check on some haircolor, pff.. )

INSTINCT92

• Undead Master
  • Native.
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 01:08:56 PM »
Having this same issue, I can't get the size to change.. Was this solved? Any fixes?

INSTINCT92

• Undead Master
  • Native.
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 03:33:08 PM »
Seems to be editable after a 'lot' of messing with ini files, in game to change res. But things like inventory and text boxes are still minuscule.

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 05:29:19 PM »
Alt+enter to change to window mode, go options change to the resolution you desire, alt+enter again to return full screen. Not tested, just a guess.

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 07:26:23 PM »
If this is still a problem...

Could you tell me your monitor's native resolution?

And at what resolution are you attempting to run the game?