Author Topic: Hiding character levels  (Read 10481 times)

kvanio

• Outlander
Re: Hiding character levels
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2011, 07:27:55 PM »
People need to see character levels to get an idea of what their dealing with in my opinion.. For example. A new player makes a tough guy that's level 2 and encounters a female elf, that is physically weaker than him.. however shes a level 20 mage, so she owns him in 3 seconds when he tries to bully her or something.

So... you think people should be able to metagame?

That isn't meta-gaming on my standards. You knew what I meant. My point is, it's not metagaming for a level 2 to be aware that he's about to fight a level 20.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2011, 03:22:43 AM »
unless he has seen that level 20 in action, yes it is

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2011, 08:21:50 AM »
Isnt dooable every regular player knows the levels of its rivals and allies its not meta to know cause its a game an your human eyes see more on screens then the toon does, so drop the meta act its getting old, starting to sound like the boy who cried wolf.

As for parties so what if ppl ask in a tell if you want to party up, its a game not pnp more folks around and if you can form a party you meet new char ic and who knows what rp flows from that and you will have fun cause you are not killing things alone.
And that all from 1 tell
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

kvanio

• Outlander
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2011, 02:22:15 PM »

I disagree. And it's written no where in the Meta-gaming Definition that it is. Hiding levels would create problems, you can choose to not look at peoples levels, I don't look at peoples levels, unless they attack me for little reason, and wonder how they owned me so fast.

Shadowthrone

« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2011, 02:30:03 PM »

I disagree. And it's written no where in the Meta-gaming Definition that it is. Hiding levels would create problems, you can choose to not look at peoples levels, I don't look at peoples levels, unless they attack me for little reason, and wonder how they owned me so fast.

Using information In Character gained through Out Of Character means (i.e. looking at the player list) is the very definition of metagaming.

Saruven

• Outlander
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2011, 02:39:02 PM »

Iconoclast

• Church of the Lawgiver
  • Dark Power
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2011, 02:57:32 PM »

Might also add that metagaming, while loaded with negative connotations, is a neutral term.  There are times when metagaming is wise, or in the best interest of role play. For example, a monster pc that uses spells might metagame appropriately by using lower level spells in a scene with a low level character, to avoid killing the character prematurely.  This isn't unlke a dm who decides what foes to spawn based on the ooc knowledge of what the characters can handle.

Metagaming is only a problem when it isn't done wisely, or is used only in self-interest at the expense of others.

Illy-Dan

• Undead Slayer
  • Who is John Galt?
    • Grey Wardens.com
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2011, 03:01:22 PM »
Metagaming is only a problem when it isn't done wisely, or is used only in self-interest at the expense of others.
I'm glad somebody pointed this out, and in a much better way than I ever could.

"Enemies, as well as lovers, come to resemble each other over a period of time."
— Sydney J. Harris

Threefold

• Dark Lord
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2011, 07:12:11 AM »
I'm glad somebody pointed this out, and in a much better way than I ever could.

+3

dark_majico

« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2011, 12:45:57 PM »
Isnt dooable every regular player knows the levels of its rivals and allies its not meta to know cause its a game an your human eyes see more on screens then the toon does, so drop the meta act its getting old, starting to sound like the boy who cried wolf.

This isnt true and is a very broad generalisation, I only know one charecters level who any of my characters hang with/know because he told me in a tell in game, he might have leveled up since, and until he tells me again what level he is, I will continue not to know. Allthough I am strugeling to see who your replying too so the meaning of that reply is a little lost on me.

Nemien Callishan

• Ezrite Anchorite wannabe
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2011, 10:12:56 AM »
Hiding levels and class is the best thing since sliced bread.
^ This.  I have no additional argument to add, so simply assume I'm in favour of the above.

On an old server I used to play on Heed implimented a lovely little feature into the hack pack: it simply placed three black lines of "text" in the description box. So whenever you examined something it hid the challenge rating & status stuff. Nice and simple really.

Makeithome

• Undead Slayer
  • "Antagonist"
« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2011, 10:33:27 AM »
Why not hide character names?
That be interesting, with hiding levels, have a short physical description of your character, with the examine.

The gruff, bald, scarred old man

for example.

I think that be neat.

"Some men aren't looking for anything logical. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Syied

• Undead Slayer
  • Back from the Mists.
« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2011, 11:58:30 PM »
People need to see character levels to get an idea of what their dealing with in my opinion.. For example. A new player makes a tough guy that's level 2 and encounters a female elf, that is physically weaker than him.. however shes a level 20 mage, so she owns him in 3 seconds when he tries to bully her or something.

Problem?

To those who are worried that people will feel free to "cheese" and otherwise violate server policy with regards to class level differences, remember that the DMs can see your character sheet. Sure, there are a lot of PCs in Ravenloft, and a lot of players, but -eventually- you'll be caught if you're violating such policies - sooner if everyone can see your levels, sure, but then how often does someone do that deliberately, anyway?

WildPirate13

« Reply #63 on: July 13, 2011, 12:03:01 AM »
I like hiding character levels. I know I have been intimidated by much lower levels many times because of rp, I also feel it adds to rp. I also hate the chain mail bikini approach to armor if you are getting full plate ac bonus.. then it shouldn't look like a chain mail come hither woman's lingerie that is a tad off topic though.

Good topic.

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #64 on: July 13, 2011, 12:04:28 AM »
This is an old thread. But both character levels and the portraits need to be hidden. Too easy to metagame (both purposefully and accidentally) things like MPCs, capabilities, etc. Ignorance is sometimes best.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 01:34:03 AM by ethinos »
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

suǝʇʇıɯ

• Undead Slayer
  • Illusionist
« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2011, 01:29:52 AM »
I like this idea to. Like it was said above, it's fun to not know and sometimes be intimidated by lower level PCs. But at the same time i'm sure their are those of you out there who for some reason remember peoples current levels in accordance to your own. All in all i think it's an awesome idea.

One for: Aye

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2011, 04:12:03 AM »
This is just positive for new character. All the old are known powerhouses and I am sure some can bring this up as an ooc excuse "I didnt know his level, *cries to Council*"

WildPirate13

« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2011, 11:33:07 AM »
From my own experience I didn't look at character levels for at least a year, when I started playing online. I now like to see now and then the names on the list and classes just out of curiosity for the most part. 

Hiding the levels would enrich roleplay and also reduce in my mind harmful meta gaming. I openly admit I see certain characters level up in game and cringe. I saw many of them at low levels and now have the build to smash my main pc to bits.. under the right circumstances.

The role play reasons are substantial to hide character levels and even.. names... but I would like to see just levels hidden. Love the picture with the kids throwing rocks btw.  :lol:

Meta Game negatives for character levels and names shown

:arrow: Two faction houses are at war... PvP abounds or they are waiting to strike a target etc. They look at the number of characters/players that the other faction has and decide to strike then.. advantage: numbers etc

:arrow: Players will avoid other characters due to levels and or classes. The tough guy's that dont want to have a loss seem to.. not pick on someone they will lose against, with the system they can do the math pretty quick and know who they can take down and who they cant.

:arrow: Some players will avoid interacting with higher or lower levels because of the XP penalties... now thats meta gaming and counter role play.

Role Play

:arrow: The better a rper is the less levels matter for survival in role play not combat obviously. I have had level 4's travel with me to peridus it happens rarely and they did fairly well in RP sadly they didn't cringe and fall down crying like a little girl.. but hey they were somewhat new :) . It gives a great reason for a new character to get to know an older character for knowledge.

:arrow: People will party up more low or high levels.

:arrow: Social role play skills such as  Influence, antagonize etc.. will have more of an effect I think in game.

Great quote.

Might also add that metagaming, while loaded with negative connotations, is a neutral term.

Some meta gaming is really beneficial to server play in my mind. Organizing meeting times, time zones, somewhat like a whispers in the shadows thread ig but really really requires the division of knowledge between IG and out.

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2011, 01:09:09 PM »
I think simply having names available will aid in all the metagaming one would need to do. Like choosing a dwarf character when you see a bunch of dwarf names playing on the server, or a caliban when you see a lot of freakish names. Seeing the portrait and the levels isn't needed. If MPC's and AMPC's really want to avoid lower level characters, or prefer to focus on them, give them a tool that somehow gives some kind of reference of the PC's level.

And now that the difference in levels matters a bit less in gaining XP, having a level 5 group with a level 12 isn't as funky as it used to be. Any bigger difference and you can probably tell beforehand that the grouping isn't going to work.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

hugolino

• Dark Lord
« Reply #69 on: July 14, 2011, 02:15:24 AM »
This is just positive for new character. All the old are known powerhouses and I am sure some can bring this up as an ooc excuse "I didnt know his level, *cries to Council*"

I rarely ever look at the player list before logging in, so I don't truly know most players' classes and levels. I just know the familiar "faces" with no clue what they actually may be in terms of power -- with a few exceptions only. Hiding character levels from others wouldn't effect my perspective on others so much. I'm already ignorant. I do recommend it to others. Just don't look at the player list before logging in and, without any DM effort required, you can have better immersion. :)