Author Topic: Rogue, Bad choice for Starting Players?  (Read 21382 times)

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
Re: Rogue, Bad choice for Starting Players?
« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2013, 08:55:36 PM »
Not all rogues are evil, and even then, not all evil rogues are eligible for the Assassin PRC.
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Crimson Shuriken

• Happy Shoulders
  • Dark Power
  • Flying through the air with deadly intent!
« Reply #76 on: May 01, 2013, 08:56:16 PM »
If you aren't a caster you are generally doing a lot of multiclassing. i'm not sure anyone who is actually playing rogue had the build plan of only going 20 rogue :V
My rogue is a level 16 rogue. She is better than they are. I think I did the math one time and realized that raising her OL any further would be a waste, as there would never be a lock exceeding her buffed maximum.  Knock was not even on so many items like it is now back then, she would be even more OP with open lock in this era. I do not agree with the "wizards are so awesome at OL" stuff, and attribute it to ignorance with lack of another alternative possible explanation. My pure rogue can be completely naked and gearless and open a DC 45 lock, what more level of prowess would you want? She can get an extra 18-20 or so using all the tools available to her.
To make a wizard anywhere close to their equal, you would want to leverage the two background feats to be OL boosts and take a feat for the +3 and give a good starting dexterity since it will not grow as they go as a rogue will. I don't consider that a strength, it limits the possibilities of a wizard if you prioritize OL so its a weakness.

I'm so casual, my shoes look like feet.

Misted_Horror

• Undead Master
« Reply #77 on: May 16, 2013, 10:54:00 PM »
If built for -built- for PvP/PvE, rogues are hands down one of the most deadly, and utility-based classes of all times. However, if you build to excel at skills that don't involve PvP/PvE, you may find the class a bit to your displeasure as most people will have higher counter-bonuses in items to what you will have for skills, save some powerful heirloom items that are not found these days. I will also say that RP as a rogue-based character is some of the greatest RP I have ever had on this server, and when the RVT is hiringon an active spree, I recommend people to seek them out assuming you are at least neutral. EDIT: Seriously, the RVT turned my 'new' server experience in to something very thrill taking.

Honestly, having a terrible PvE/PvP build is one of the worst things to realise once you have hit a decent level, but don't let it detract from the RP (what really counts).
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 10:56:27 PM by Misted_Horror »

Lucadia

• Dark Power
  • Feral Mystic
« Reply #78 on: September 20, 2013, 06:56:48 PM »
Something of note thats not been reflected in spell changes. Knock has been changed to be targetable. Now a wizard can and should help rogues with lock picking, assuming said rogue had put points in it.

emptyanima

• Making & Breaking Characters Since May 2013
  • Church of Ezra - Refuge of Fifth Light
  • Dark Power
  • She Who Slays Dragons
    • Emptyanima Portrait Pack
« Reply #79 on: September 20, 2013, 07:17:27 PM »
Not all rogues are evil, and even then, not all evil rogues are eligible for the Assassin PRC.

I have two pure rogues and they are both completely different.

Rat is more 'roguish' in the traditional sense, whereas Sheridan sinks most of her skill points into social skills, being an investigator and what not. I am very... squishy on both characters, but they are both really fun, and I guess that's the most important thing.

Troukk

• Dark Power
« Reply #80 on: September 20, 2013, 08:24:12 PM »
My two alts are rogues. They are multiclassed, but both are mainly rogues with sprinkles of other classes for flavor.

After having cleric and wizard as my mains, I'm loving the utility and versatility rogues have.
Not all who wander are lost.