Author Topic: 1.69 Critical Rebuild on a 64 bit Windows 7 Install  (Read 2113 times)

fickle_fates

• New to the Mists
1.69 Critical Rebuild on a 64 bit Windows 7 Install
« on: December 21, 2010, 07:02:33 AM »
Alas!!

I have hit a wall!

I go to install the 1.69 critical rebuild on m new Windows 7 machine, and it tells me that the exe file won't run because it is a 32 bit exe file (and thus probably uses a 16 bit installer, which Wndows 7 64 bit doesn't recognize).

Does anyone out there know if there is any way to update to 1.69 without using the Critical Rebuild?

Ternce

• Undead Master
  • Ye be naught but a worm.
Re: 1.69 Critical Rebuild on a 64 bit Windows 7 Install
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 08:42:41 AM »
Have you tried running it in compatibility mode?   Right click it, go to Properties, then over to the compatibility tab.  Try to run it in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP3, just check the box and choose it from the drop down.

My 64 bit Win7 installed critical rebuild just fine, as far as I know, this is the only way to update to 1.69 as the actual NWN update servers are deceased.

fickle_fates

• New to the Mists
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 07:50:05 PM »
This was my understanding as well, which made it all the more frustrating for me when even in Compatability mode for xp Service Pack 3 the critical rebuild exe said that it wouldn't work.

I think what I will do is copy my game files from an updated machine to my new PC, as this will bypass the need to re-install the game at all.

Ternce

• Undead Master
  • Ye be naught but a worm.
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 09:42:55 PM »
Are you also running it as an administrator?  I remember I encountered this identical problem and it was fixed with something simple like running in compatibility mode as administrator.