Author Topic: outskirts vistani camp  (Read 1669 times)

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
outskirts vistani camp
« on: December 20, 2010, 05:35:02 PM »
I had an idea for the outskirts vistani camp that I thought might be useful for this idea to be given its own thread.  The idea is a simple one, that is to connect the vistani camps together so that all of them can go to the msity camp. The ones in the outskirts could charge a higher fee to go to the misty camp than the ones in the village area.

I think this might help with people who want to go to the port, har'kair, and the other areas that might be added to the server. I think it might be a neat addition to the server.

I would like to hear what others, devs included think of this idea?

-herkles

Emomina

• Dark Power
Re: outskirts vistani camp
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 05:50:29 PM »
That proposal is actually in contradiction with some of what is being achieved at current.

Contrary, to your belief and others, the ability to hop from one place to another constantly is not a desired state. The recent rest area change was just the latest change to essentially have your character be in the same area as the last time you played them. The caravan ride was added to give some feeling of traveling long distances.

Having the vistani in the outskirts offer travel would circumnavigate the feeling of a journey that you get from traveling overland.
I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.

Ternce

• Undead Master
  • Ye be naught but a worm.
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 06:40:35 PM »
I agree that we don't need an instant "teleportation pad" in the entry area, however I would like for the Vistani camp in the mists to offer passage back to Vallaki, since a lot of times I get stuck in that remote locale by my lonesome after friends have logged, and have to make the either perilous, or arduously long journey alone.

Rogue Pooka

• Outlander
  • Lurue loves you-u-u-u-u!!!
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 04:34:15 AM »
That also assumes that Petre's clan and the clan next to the Tser Pool are from the same tasque and the same tribe.  Hypothetically speaking here, if Petre's kin are Kamii and the Vistani captain's kin are Zarovan, then they might not hang out together enough to make passenger runs for each other.

Even the Vistani have their own little families and factions, though I imagine that they would join together against enemies or guard each other's secrets from giorgio.  Like that old "Me against my brother, my brother and me against my cousin, my cousin and me against the stranger" sort of thing.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 04:36:30 AM by Rogue Pooka »

dark_majico

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 08:08:19 AM »
I agree that we don't need an instant "teleportation pad" in the entry area, however I would like for the Vistani camp in the mists to offer passage back to Vallaki, since a lot of times I get stuck in that remote locale by my lonesome after friends have logged, and have to make the either perilous, or arduously long journey alone.

I think one of the things that sets us apart from other modules is the fact we dont have too much transport at our fingertips. Its better having to put in a little more effort to travel around the module.

Rogue Pooka

• Outlander
  • Lurue loves you-u-u-u-u!!!
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 11:09:08 AM »

I think one of the things that sets us apart from other modules is the fact we dont have too much transport at our fingertips. Its better having to put in a little more effort to travel around the module.
I like a good challenge myself.  If the challenge ends up killing you, it does tend to suck.  But making it through the challenge gives you that nice "high" of triumph.  I've had both of my main characters try to get back to Vallaki after dark with packs of werewolves, loup-garou and those worgs that you just know aren't really worgs getting in the way.  Doing that with Ozan's no problem; I can just cast Invisibility and Expeditious Retreat and run her right past the beasties.  Ersten doesn't have those options, so with her I have to sneak (as well as a Fighter in chainmail can sneak, anyway) and think my way through...sticking to shadows, hiding behind trees and outcroppings, keeping minks and deer between Ersten and the werewolves, and so on.  And if a loup-garou charges Ersten, pray that she can kill it before the beasty's friends show up.

I have to admit that Ozan's way is easier, but Ersten's way is more fun...as long as she survives, that is.  8)

I too will pass on having wagons carry us all over creation.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 11:10:49 AM by Rogue Pooka »

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 12:13:30 PM »
Personally, I like the idea of having more caravans. Seriously: it just is annoying to have to spent more or less 10 minutes of gameplay, you know, running.
Noignar Huillen: Ilmater Cleric.
Hedien Gine: Arrow and Bow Artist.
Dolin Schneim: Dwarven Soldier

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 10:59:02 PM »
Mist travel is not something to be taken lightly, which is why, in our design plan, it's reserved more or less to higher levels. Roughly, our design plan is like this:

At a low level, you are trapped in Vallaki, Barovia..it's a backwater town, people speak a strange language, you feel alone and helpless. As you progress, you slowly but surely venture away from this town to explore Barovia (hence why higher level dungeons are spread further and further away from Vallaki). Eventually, you reach a point where you start venturing with these Vistani, the ones that were so mysterious at first; and you discover new lands. Your scope starts to broaden, you are able to explore more realms and worlds.

That's more or less our design philosophy. You may disagree with it, and I'm sure quite a few will, but it's what we base our design decisions on. Level range and everything is aimed at achieving that goal. Now, if at level 2, straight out of the Mists, you'd just be able to talk to a random Vistani and hop around the Mists carelessly, it wouldn't have the same feeling.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 11:11:47 PM »
@EO: that design philosphy would work for places like perfidious, bleutspur, har'kair, but not for dementlieu. It also fails when you take into the account of natives to ravenloft(this design philosphy seems to come from the time when barovians were only available by application only)) Also the port has less dungeons and monsters than vallaki, so here is an honest suggestion: remove the port and replace it with a domain that is more fitting and filled with dungeons! That fits your design philosphy much better than making a highly political domain into a hack/slash area. I honestly wonder if the dev team even understands or cares that their are not many people in the port?

but as for this suggestion; maybe the misty thing you mentioned in the dementlieu thread might be a good thing and more suitable.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 11:16:05 PM by herkles »