You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Magic Healing - Options give us options  (Read 3047 times)

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• The Cult of the Morninglord
  • Dark Power
  • The Chuck Norris of RP -Eraldur
Magic Healing - Options give us options
« on: December 09, 2010, 07:55:18 PM »
Ok I know i recenlty returned but even when i was active a while back things still were that liz didnt do basic restorations but illie did, now today i noticed in my normal roleplayiing times in the EST morning when i got level drained that illie does not do this anymore

As an avid fan of the setting and the server I agree magical healing should be limited BUT at the same time we need to also i think provide options for those that are unable to have a cleric 8+ ic or ooc on at their time/area by this i offer the following suggestion

leave liz as is, but illie add an option that he can accept a donation to cast BASIC restoration to provide an option for level drains and such by a player paying a donation amount for the casting say...50-75 gp per two levels or something similar to the gold needed to raise someone but not quite as harsh figure 50-75 per level is faire 100 for a restore at lvl 2 tough but not too tough and its a fair even half between whats needed to raise someone

also add into this script a timer limting its use on that person the same way its limits the healing and disease removal with liz and illie

to sum up i totally agree that we should limit magical healing but in my example here it provides another option, same thing can be done to say the ezrite priest in the nobles district if he's setup the same been ages since i rped an ezrite so i dont know same with the vicar in the village etc etc

my point i guess is sure limit things but give us SOME way to have an option to get help via npc in some way in a pinch where we cant get a cleric or such.

i'm open to suggestions but really thing this needs to be looked at personally and considered

marlewebber

Re: Magic Healing - Options give us options
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 07:58:13 PM »
ICly Ezrites should never charge coins for their services, and all the Sects represented by NPCs in the module wouldn't heal non-ezrites, just a little clarification.

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 08:07:17 PM »
ICly Ezrites should never charge coins for their services, and all the Sects represented by NPCs in the module wouldn't heal non-ezrites, just a little clarification.

i'm aware...i meant even for ezrites have the same script that limits its use this way it balances ezrites vs ml vs etc etc

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 08:17:57 PM »

neither do the NPC priests in the module charge coins for their services, unless you count buying stuff from the sentrie, ie scrolls and the like; though that is beyond normal services.

Personally what I would want to see our more surgeons, doctors, and the like. You know healers and medics who do not rely on magic. I suggested that in Dementlieu that there be a hospital there for the people to go to for healing, among other things.  :twisted: Anyways, I would like to see more things done to have non magical healing available to be used besides magical healing.

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 10:39:00 PM »
Try to buy some restoration potions from PC vendors.

They remove level drain.

BrightLights

• Outlander
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 10:56:48 PM »
What about the Chirurgeon in Vallaki? Give him something akin to healing, curing diseases, etc? I'd like to see some alternatives for magic for those who are mildly suspicious of it...

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 11:10:35 PM »
the Chirurgeon honestly strikes me more of something in Lamordia or dementlieu compared to Barovia but that is just me.

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 11:14:11 PM »
Try to buy some restoration potions from PC vendors.

They remove level drain.

i do..and will but what i am getting at is say a level 4 who despite partying and such like myself atm is running on bad luck gets level drained at a time when generally there's not alot of people on in the lower areas...i'm screwed or others are in the same boat. I'm not saying this isnt an option but there should be a LAST DITCH option that an npc can do to help just because a system like this is in place would not ruin the demand for potions or whatever.

and if we want to go a rp route what about a pc that doesnt use tonics? say has a fear? but yet willing uses magics? this person is now screwed because

what i'm getting at is as i said HAVE OPTIONS and variety for sources if a person has a tonic for restoration great! but some people dont/cant/wont so lets have options

wether this is natural healing or magical i dont care but lets have these options not only taking of level drains either but also for disease and healing calibans got whats his name that does regen no reason that surgeon boy in valiki cant do that too if he doesnt already same with other npcs in the module

but my main point is this WHY does a priest cast raise dead a 5th level spell via scripts...but CANT/WONT cast a 4th level restoration if someone donates some gold theres no logical reason...the gold donation forces people to have some spare change if they want this route so it balances out

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 01:21:59 AM »
I don't think we're going to be looking for non-magical, natural alternatives to magic when it comes to healing magical ailments like a magical curse or level drain.  Sucks for the person who's afraid of magic yet wanders into an area so concentrated with magic they manage to come out with a level drain.

And the tonic thing doesn't make sense.  It's casting the same spell as a cleric would.  If anything, sometimes people will drink tonics and be afraid of the actual casting of the spell, not the other way around.

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 01:45:03 AM »
I don't think we're going to be looking for non-magical, natural alternatives to magic when it comes to healing magical ailments like a magical curse or level drain.  Sucks for the person who's afraid of magic yet wanders into an area so concentrated with magic they manage to come out with a level drain.

I know non magical wouldnt cure MAGICAL aliments i was simply saying that non magical healing for more mundane wounds would be a plus. The primary topic was level drains obviously which i agree CANT be cured by non magical healings cept for really extreme measures depending on place/events.

And the tonic thing doesn't make sense.  It's casting the same spell as a cleric would.  If anything, sometimes people will drink tonics and be afraid of the actual casting of the spell, not the other way around.

*sighs* i'm aware it doesnt make sense...it was an extreme example hta ti thought didnt have to be pointed out...

we're detracting from my point as i said, i AGREE we should reduce things but at the same time a system should be there in a worse case event that help CAN be gotten for someone if needed not all of us can or do play at hours beyond certain times

using only myself as an example i normally these days only rp in mornings of the eastern time zone, and maybe once in a while in later afternoon to early evenings when i can.

but again i am detracting from the point....systems should be there in some fashion to get help if in worse case USUAL PC to PC means can not be gotten for whatever event

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2010, 02:13:03 AM »
But the example is one that will never happen, so it doesn't really work as an example.

I can understand your grief if you can't find any potions to buy, but I bet if you put a little effort into it, you could easily get some, and not buy on a "per need" basis, but stock up on them for when you do.

As I understand it, the reason the greater restore was removed wasn't purely for the removal of having an NPC that will cast a full heal, I think it was intending to make some ailments more or less permanent without PC intervention, to cause more consequence.  I know if I got hit with a level drain and I didn't have a means of getting rid of it, I probably wouldn't go back to that place again until I did have a means of combating it, and that may be what you have to do.

For disease, expanded healing kits might be nice, but that's only an added detail, since the priestess will still cast remove disease.

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2010, 02:34:21 AM »
But the example is one that will never happen, so it doesn't really work as an example.

I can understand your grief if you can't find any potions to buy, but I bet if you put a little effort into it, you could easily get some, and not buy on a "per need" basis, but stock up on them for when you do.

As I understand it, the reason the greater restore was removed wasn't purely for the removal of having an NPC that will cast a full heal, I think it was intending to make some ailments more or less permanent without PC intervention, to cause more consequence.  I know if I got hit with a level drain and I didn't have a means of getting rid of it, I probably wouldn't go back to that place again until I did have a means of combating it, and that may be what you have to do.

For disease, expanded healing kits might be nice, but that's only an added detail, since the priestess will still cast remove disease.

i aint talking about a GREATER restoration i'm talking about a regular restoration with a system EXACTLY like what we got now with raising and healing by a small payment donation like we got a raise...i personally dont see this as a problem nor game breaking issue

i am hunting up coins to get potions but i'm saying in a WORSE case event of nay kind lets have some option there for someone to get that healing if they cant afford it cause of a coin loss...then time they rp...whatever!

consequences are great but we have to also consider we're running this server day round this effects things and options should be there to help people that cant perhaps get to things they need that others could. That things DO happen where people cant afford a restoration potion but could say afford a restore spell.

but i'm getting off this merry go round for now let this get discussed a bit more before commenting again as i seem to just be repeating myself to same answers 'get potions buy this do that' well there's time you do those things and...well shucks you still get screwed so let's have something there to help folks out eh?

horror and setting realism is great but this is still a game were here ot have fun, if it goes from being fun horror to frustrated no help there's a big difference there i think that really needs to be considered maybe i'm not explaining what i mean here right but i hope enough gets across to make my point which i think is fairly valid

Minstrel

• Official Mascot of the
  • Dark Power
  • Cat in the Hat
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2010, 02:56:28 AM »
I like the idea.

Though you can buy potions, and getting level drain without being able to cure it with an NPC kind of makes you find and rely on other people.

Still, the ability to buy a restoration for significantly more than you could buy a potion for from a PC keeps the benefit of finding people whilst also giving an option for when nobody is around to be found.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2010, 08:46:48 AM »
As I understand it, the reason the greater restore was removed wasn't purely for the removal of having an NPC that will cast a full heal, I think it was intending to make some ailments more or less permanent without PC intervention, to cause more consequence.  I know if I got hit with a level drain and I didn't have a means of getting rid of it, I probably wouldn't go back to that place again until I did have a means of combating it, and that may be what you have to do.

That's why it was removed. People would just run up to a NPC, get a quick fix and go back to their normal life. It cheapened consequences. Now, if you soloed a dungeon without a cleric that could cast a...level 2 or 3 spell and got drained or diseased, you'll have to find a PC cleric or someone selling potions to help you. As Bad_Bud said, your character will think twice before venturing to that place again.

Also, adding a cost wouldn't help low levels or new players, it'd just help higher level characters who have money to spend. If you're a low level, you won't go out paying 200-300 for a restoration spell because you are short on money. However, if you have tons of money, that's not much of an issue.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2010, 09:00:06 AM »
low levels can easily earn 10k in a week, if they are willing

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2010, 09:13:04 AM »
low levels can easily earn 10k in a week, if they are willing

They can easily earn 10k in a week, if they know the system and how to use it. But then, if they know the system, they already know about buying potions, so why bother adding these spells back to NPCs if they could stock up on potions?

Anything that benefits low levels, benefits higher levels more. We pulled these spells to make dungeons scarier and consequences more permanent (slightly), and now it democratically affects everyone.

KoopaFanatic

• Iä! Iä! Puckwolf fhtagn!
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2010, 09:44:03 AM »
Anything that benefits low levels, benefits higher levels more. We pulled these spells to make dungeons scarier and consequences more permanent (slightly), and now it democratically affects everyone.

As Anatole France put it, "The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."  A high-level character played during server peak times would (probably) have no problem finding a PC cleric to cast restoration or a merchant to sell a potion or two.  The rest, not so much.

But then, what do I know?  I've never managed to make 10k gp per week with any character of any level ;)

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2010, 10:16:32 AM »
oh, I don't want the spells put back in

Vespertilio

• Never met a Dark Lord, not a
  • Dark Power
  • We can't stop here, this is bat country!
    • Messages from Nihil
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2010, 11:53:47 AM »
oh, I don't want the spells put back in

I agree.  Players were polled and one of the biggest concerns was lack of consequences.  This is one of those changes that, along with npcs responding again to spells cast in their line of sight, returns at least some consequences to the game.

I could just run into the room and punch you in the balls; sure, that's scary. That's entertainment. But it isn't horror...

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2010, 12:11:12 PM »
If they arnt new, you forgot that part
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company