Author Topic: Mind blank spells - any uses?  (Read 16101 times)

Emomina

• Dark Power
Re: Mind blank spells - any uses?
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2010, 04:48:55 PM »
Actually, I suspected there was a spell that would remove fear effects, but didn't know it was mindblank. Its extremely useful for that reason alone, its come up multiple times before when the party gets debuffed and the fear auras take effect.

I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.

Telkar

• Dark Power
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2010, 05:02:58 PM »
Actually, I suspected there was a spell that would remove fear effects, but didn't know it was mindblank. Its extremely useful for that reason alone, its come up multiple times before when the party gets debuffed and the fear auras take effect.

I would find it much more sensible to stock up on "remove fear" potions for the unlikely chance that PfA will get dispelled, instead of wasting a spell slot on a high lvl spell like lesser mind blank.

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2010, 05:09:17 PM »
It certainly is. But I've seen large groups manage to not have any, just saying. Ever since then I carry them, just in case.

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2010, 05:21:08 PM »

I would find it much more sensible to stock up on "remove fear" potions for the unlikely chance that PfA will get dispelled, instead of wasting a spell slot on a high lvl spell like lesser mind blank.

I always tought that potios were useless, since you can't drink 'em while scared.
Noignar Huillen: Ilmater Cleric.
Hedien Gine: Arrow and Bow Artist.
Dolin Schneim: Dwarven Soldier

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2010, 05:23:14 PM »
why would anyone use hasste, if they have mass haste?

Telkar

• Dark Power
« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2010, 05:32:20 PM »
I always tought that potios were useless, since you can't drink 'em while scared.

Nor can you cast mindblank on yourself while scared, but you can cast it on others who are, and also force that liquid down their throats.

Minstrel

• Official Mascot of the
  • Dark Power
  • Cat in the Hat
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2010, 05:55:59 PM »
I'd be arguing much more fiercely for the nerfing of PfA, if it weren't for how utterly broken Fear is.

Immunity to mind-affecting kills the entire enchantment school. And is accessible for every class, from pretty much level 5 onwards if they so desire it.

Sadly, it makes you immune to fear, and fear is broken, with the fair point that it dosen't so much make you afraid as give you the mentality of a headless chicken, running in random directions then getting stuck, then dying.

What are the views of the anti-nerfers that PfA only protect from Fear, rather than from every mind-affecting spell? That would retain it's use against things like mummies and make people need to face Fear less, without shutting down Enchantment so much.

Then you get Mind Blank having more use, along with Clarity and such, since they'll save you from Hold and Dominate spells, just like you'd need Death Ward for death spells. I mean come on, immunity to fear, and universal saves bonus, for hour/level, against all evil things (see, everything in Ravenloft), for a level 1 spell slot? That's still a good deal right there.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 05:59:26 PM by Minstrel »

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2010, 05:59:39 PM »

Nor can you cast mindblank on yourself while scared, but you can cast it on others who are, and also force that liquid down their throats.

You can't cast while scared, but can cast before getting scared to prepare and protect your party. Potions of remove fear on the other hand, AFAIK, doesn't work as buffs. nor protection, only as a fix.

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2010, 06:04:53 PM »
I'm for spells working as they are supposed to, its protection against an alignment. No immunity to all mind affecting. It does nothing to protect against a hold person from a neutral caster.

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2010, 06:06:06 PM »
I think the mind blank spells are plenty useful and need no additional "compromising" changes.

Telkar

• Dark Power
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2010, 06:19:58 PM »
I'd be arguing much more fiercely for the nerfing of PfA, if it weren't for how utterly broken Fear is.

Immunity to mind-affecting kills the entire enchantment school. And is accessible for every class, from pretty much level 5 onwards if they so desire it.

Sadly, it makes you immune to fear, and fear is broken, with the fair point that it dosen't so much make you afraid as give you the mentality of a headless chicken, running in random directions then getting stuck, then dying.

What are the views of the anti-nerfers that PfA only protect from Fear, rather than from every mind-affecting spell? That would retain it's use against things like mummies and make people need to face Fear less, without shutting down Enchantment so much.

Then you get Mind Blank having more use, along with Clarity and such, since they'll save you from Hold and Dominate spells, just like you'd need Death Ward for death spells. I mean come on, immunity to fear, and universal saves bonus, for hour/level, against all evil things (see, everything in Ravenloft), for a level 1 spell slot? That's still a good deal right there.

That's a reasonable suggestion to me.

Protection from Alignment
- immunity to fear, charm and dominate.
- +2 on saves and deflection ac vs good/evil.

Ophie Kitty

• Inactive - Quit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2010, 06:21:54 PM »
I like the sound of that, or nerfing the duration to 1min/level as per 3.5 rule set.

Aahz

• Dark Power
  • People don't like to be meddled with.
« Reply #62 on: December 08, 2010, 06:27:27 PM »
I don't suppose we could actually just accept NWN the way it was made?
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #63 on: December 08, 2010, 06:29:04 PM »
ofcourse not, its not in human nature to accept things as they are.
Human nature is about changing things, and hoping its better

Aahz

• Dark Power
  • People don't like to be meddled with.
« Reply #64 on: December 08, 2010, 06:34:38 PM »

Poking at something not necessarily broken in the first place until it does break and then endless trying to fix what was broken by adding more changes over and over, more like.

I'm all for new content type stuff but I am sick to death of rules and mechanics changes.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 06:36:40 PM by Aahz »
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

Minstrel

• Official Mascot of the
  • Dark Power
  • Cat in the Hat
« Reply #65 on: December 08, 2010, 06:38:08 PM »

I'd kind of like to see Charm and Dominate taken out of the immunities... But it's in the PnP rules, so bleh.

I just find it daft that Bob the Level 40 Extremely Epic Red Wizard of Enchantment will be utterly unable to gain any control over a level 1 sorc if they cast detect evil. Mind control stuff is fun.

But that's just me, as I say. More Stunned people and Dazed people for the win. Maybe then the devs can give creatures spells like that in the knowledge that players might either get hit by them or have special preparations for them rather than just beating them with a level 1 hour/level spell. As it is, any evil enemy above level 5 that's casting Dominate Person is just wasting a round.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 06:41:24 PM by Minstrel »

Dashru

• Undead Master
  • Ghoulie
« Reply #66 on: December 08, 2010, 07:01:12 PM »
I don't suppose we could actually just accept NWN the way it was made?

Whispering words of wisdom, let it be.

Srsly peeple du nawt fex wht not bee brokh
"...I was griefing a social server the other day, and noticed that they had some very explicit emotes that forced two characters to perform a very 'cooperative' emote. Naturally i spammed it on player corpses..." -- Papa Zarus

tzaeru

• Dark Power
« Reply #67 on: December 08, 2010, 07:58:12 PM »

Srsly peeple du nawt fex wht not bee brokh

Poking at something not necessarily broken in the first place until it does break and then endless trying to fix what was broken by adding more changes over and over, more like.

I'm all for new content type stuff but I am sick to death of rules and mechanics changes.

Whether something's broken or not is often a matter of opinion. I consider it "broken"; Not all do, from various reasons. Sometimes those reasons are better and more justified than mine, sometimes they are selfish, sometimes something else. But then, that's the point of discussing things.

What goes to PfA giving only immunity to fear: I'd consider that OK. However one of my original points was that due to PfA almost all Fear Auras are rendered effectively useless. Weight on the almost, which isn't all, but most.

As an off-topic mention on accepting the way NWN was made: If we did that, we'd still have stacking damage shields, unnerfed other buffs, loads of hour/level buffs and spells, no antagonize nor influence, superior Shapechange.. Change is often quite good. It's an exploration to field of possibilities! And that's something you indeed could expect from a computer science major.

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #68 on: December 08, 2010, 09:40:13 PM »
Perhaps should be pointed out that the changes suggested in mind blank to make it more useful made, so far, are nerfind PfA.

marlewebber

« Reply #69 on: December 08, 2010, 10:04:57 PM »
Maybe NPC/monsters could be created that utilize some enchantment school spells and have neutral alignment.

I'm thinking "Lysaga" Witches or some kind of similar niche.  But how often are you fighting *neutral* npcs?

This would make MindBlank a required preparation to take them on - then comes the problem of having yet another challenge that requires a wizard on staff, which to an extent goes against some culture of the setting. (blah blah classes other than wizard can't do this dungeon et cetera)

As it is the peskiest times I wish I had Mindblank would be those Skeletal Bats.  It remains a valuable and thoughtful protection by a wizard capable of casting it - for the rare cases that you have sincerely motivated a neutral spellcaster to try to deal with you.

dark_majico

« Reply #70 on: December 09, 2010, 06:03:24 AM »

I'd kind of like to see Charm and Dominate taken out of the immunities... But it's in the PnP rules, so bleh.

I just find it daft that Bob the Level 40 Extremely Epic Red Wizard of Enchantment will be utterly unable to gain any control over a level 1 sorc if they cast detect evil. Mind control stuff is fun.

But that's just me, as I say. More Stunned people and Dazed people for the win. Maybe then the devs can give creatures spells like that in the knowledge that players might either get hit by them or have special preparations for them rather than just beating them with a level 1 hour/level spell. As it is, any evil enemy above level 5 that's casting Dominate Person is just wasting a round.

Bob the Level 40 Extremely Epic Red Wizard of Enchantment simply needs to dispell it first. If he dosent dispell this level 1 sorcerers Pf Alignment, then Bob dosent deserve to be level 40, and should be demoted to lab assistant by Lauzoril the Zulkir of Enchantment. I dont see any need for change.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #71 on: December 09, 2010, 06:18:16 AM »
more skeletal  bats!

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #72 on: December 09, 2010, 06:31:19 AM »
The best source of neutral enemies would be Animals/Magical Beasts and Fey. 
My preferred way to increase the usefulness of Mindblank is more enemies that PfE and PfG do not help against.

Minstrel

• Official Mascot of the
  • Dark Power
  • Cat in the Hat
« Reply #73 on: December 09, 2010, 08:03:44 AM »
Perhaps should be pointed out that the changes suggested in mind blank to make it more useful made, so far, are nerfind PfA.

Hey, if there were a level 1, hour/level spell that gave immunity to death spells and ability drain, as well as +2 AC and Saves, people would likely be saying Death Ward was too weak too.

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #74 on: December 09, 2010, 08:06:14 AM »

Hey, if there were a level 1, hour/level spell that gave immunity to death spells and ability drain, as well as +2 AC and Saves, people would likely be saying Death Ward was too weak too.

BTW, just pointing out: the +2 AC becomes useless after, dunno, level 4, since it is deflection modifier and doesn't stack.