You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Sewer respawns - Wererats (around the Drain)  (Read 10849 times)

Feronius

• Dark Power
Re: Sewer respawns - Wererats (around the Drain)
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2010, 09:14:07 AM »
well, it's not so much the wererats.. partly. But if it would be one wererat you could run.
It's the numbers that kill you. Especially as low levels you miss a lot of attacks, which means one miss results into 6 hits (or more) of different rats surrounding you at times. And needless to say.. if you're a low level that hurts.

I very much liked the idea posted above, just nerfing the bit beyond the danger sign as a "Caliban mink hunting ground with rats" so that Calibans have a way to level as well, but the part further from the Drain stays as dangerous as it was. Sounds like a decent compromise alright.
(Spawnrates reduces helps greatly too, as the way out is doable due to Mad Dok healing you.. but the way back in with respawns is a lot harder as you can hardly rest)

tzaeru

• Dark Power
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2010, 09:14:44 AM »
I still fail to see what exactly was the problem with caliban NPCs keeping the tunnels clear beyond the "Danger" sing. Caliban and outcast PCs still couldn't just dance in: 1) During the day they have to go through one of the entrances outside the city, and have to go through rats. 2) During the night, if they didn't want to fight through sewers, they'd need to risk going through the city.

It's just.. Very, very tiresome, for those who frequent Drain often, to every single time fight, sneak or run their way through rats. I do not find it scary, atmospheric or anything else, after it has repeated itself 20 times. Only annoying.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 09:16:37 AM by tzaeru »

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2010, 09:43:11 AM »
It has gotten to that point with me as well, not because of having to fight through rats though.
But because until recently I had no chance to fight my way through without help, dying every time I tried.
(And sneaking doesn't work until you're a higher level, the tunnels are too small.. nearly every rat spots you.)

Btw, thumbs up for the quick reply Zara, etc. Good to know feedback is worked on and not seen as mere complaints.
Keep up the great work DMs, devteam, and all those other constructive people around here.

LawfulJoe

• "Evil is a thing of perception, it depends on which end of the sword you're on"
  • Dark Power
  • aka AwfulJoe
    • Joe Kellerman - Graphic Artist
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2010, 09:51:13 AM »
I was going through the Sewers last night and ran into wererats under the slums in the morning. Sometimes 3 at a time. My 4th level Barbarian only survived because of a stoneskin and bulls strength that was cast on him. It was brutal, and a lone caliban would be shredded under normal conditions. While I enjoyed it because I was well prepared, for a low lev trying to get to or out of the drain, this would be a death sentence.

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2010, 10:57:13 AM »
I was going through the Sewers last night and ran into wererats under the slums in the morning. Sometimes 3 at a time. My 4th level Barbarian only survived because of a stoneskin and bulls strength that was cast on him. It was brutal, and a lone caliban would be shredded under normal conditions. While I enjoyed it because I was well prepared, for a low lev trying to get to or out of the drain, this would be a death sentence.

Not that I bother, but my level 12 (8 bard/3 AA/1 rogue) cannot handle the Greater Wererats under the government district.

I'm not asking for a nerf, but only pointing that even "low level" areas may be more or less deadly depending on your build.

The way to the Drain, however, should be more or less easy to reach.
Noignar Huillen: Ilmater Cleric.
Hedien Gine: Arrow and Bow Artist.
Dolin Schneim: Dwarven Soldier

Springer

• Dark Lord
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2010, 11:26:04 AM »
I met four wererats and more then a dozen rats last time I went that way (it was yesterday I think).  And it was only in after the "DANGER" sign, one or two wererats could be encountered on the way there aswell. I thik that 4-5 lvls have no chances against such force if they are unprepared (most of them at least).
Ricard Dateel
Tullus Araphenson

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
  • We all end up the same: Level 20 or dead.
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2010, 10:34:07 AM »
The sewers was usually a group endeavor for low levels. 
Sig by Garison

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter Thompson

"Rock is overpowered, paper is just about right" - Scissors
Thanks Aahz

Zedrik

• Warbird
  • Dark Lord
  • The Hellrabbits are watching you.
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2010, 07:00:12 PM »
There really needs to be something done about this.
Not just respawn rate. The drain needs a way lower levels can enter and leave without getting pwned.
If it's supposed to be the place for outcasts to be safe.
It's hard enough being that they can't do much of anything topside, why screw them over in their safe haven, too?
Take the rats out of the abandoned network. Put a guard or two OUTSIDE the door. Gol is useless cause you can't talk to the door while being chased.

Warning: Don't provoke the high-level Falkovnian wizard. He bites. (And not in the good way.)

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2010, 09:43:50 PM »
The point when the difficulty became too much for level 2s is when NPCs started to crooss transitions, now that I think of it.
I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2010, 04:52:36 AM »
How has the sewers felt after last reset?

Dashru

• Undead Master
  • Ghoulie
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2010, 07:54:48 AM »
How has the sewers felt after last reset?

The same as it was before.  My caliban almost died fighting his way to the surface, even with stoneskin, elemental shield, and improved invisibility.  Might I add, it would be very beneficial for there to be a guard outside the Drain main entrance as the conversation leading to opening the door can be interrupted by the nasty spawns chasing you while it normally wouldn't realistically.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 07:56:55 AM by Dashru »
"...I was griefing a social server the other day, and noticed that they had some very explicit emotes that forced two characters to perform a very 'cooperative' emote. Naturally i spammed it on player corpses..." -- Papa Zarus

Springer

• Dark Lord
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2010, 09:01:29 AM »
Havent seen a wererat in the abondoned tunnels so far.
Ricard Dateel
Tullus Araphenson

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2010, 09:39:45 AM »
You're usually being chased by a dozen of rats, rushing to the door of the Drain.. going "YEAH! I made it!"

..but then "You are too excited to talk right now."
rofl, I'm still wondering how you can be too excited to talk to someone / open a door. It's like Gol the giant doorkeeper is going "Please count til 10 before I can let you into the Drain, da?" I'd know I'd find a way through a door irl, any way, should I be chased by a few wererats..

It's kind of hilarious, but a bit cruel, hehe

o0Ghost0o

• New to the Mists
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2010, 09:33:45 PM »
I have a level 4 fighter that easily dispatches all types of wererats  8) I typically go looking for the groups of 6 or more strong and greater wererats...but then again I have a silver edged steel bastard sword. Which isn't too incredibly difficult to get, and I'm a brand new player to the server.

Minstrel

• Official Mascot of the
  • Dark Power
  • Cat in the Hat
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2010, 10:28:41 PM »
I have a level 4 fighter that easily dispatches all types of wererats  8) I typically go looking for the groups of 6 or more strong and greater wererats...but then again I have a silver edged steel bastard sword. Which isn't too incredibly difficult to get, and I'm a brand new player to the server.

Beating strong and greater ones? I thought Greaters needed +2 or better to beat their DR, but I could be mistaken.

You must be a hell of a Fighter if you're beating Strongs, mind you.

Vespertilio

• Never met a Dark Lord, not a
  • Dark Power
  • We can't stop here, this is bat country!
    • Messages from Nihil
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2010, 11:53:53 PM »

Yes but a brand new player who got geared up straight away with +1 items resulting in a very decent ac for only having been on the server a few hours, not every pc gets everything they need that quickly.

I could just run into the room and punch you in the balls; sure, that's scary. That's entertainment. But it isn't horror...

Sewerprince

• Undead Slayer
  • Sometimes it be like that
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2010, 12:55:51 AM »

If I may suggest something it's this... A way to cure disease in the drain... You'd think rattock would have something for that ;P
Hargen-Caliban Artist Extraordinare
Pavel Leclerq-Tradesman For Hire
Costin Banicu-Garda With That Dawg In Him

DrXavierTColtrane

• Dark Lord
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2015, 12:11:55 AM »
I joined POTM in March, and I never encountered wererats in the sewers. A few days ago, I ran into a *bunch* of them (multiple encounters) but it was at night. Today, however, a Wererat attacked me in the sewers between dawn and sunset.

Do were creatures spawn in POTM during the day (i.e, no moonlight)?

Also, when I came out of the sewers, multiple dire rats were running around in the residential district, and a guard was dealing with them.

Just checking that this is intended system behavior.
For everything that's lovely is
But a brief, dreamy, kind delight.

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2015, 12:14:59 AM »
I joined POTM in March, and I never encountered wererats in the sewers. A few days ago, I ran into a *bunch* of them (multiple encounters) but it was at night. Today, however, a Wererat attacked me in the sewers between dawn and sunset.

Do were creatures spawn in POTM during the day (i.e, no moonlight)?

Also, when I came out of the sewers, multiple dire rats were running around in the residential district, and a guard was dealing with them.

Just checking that this is intended system behavior.

If it was in the sewers? yes they can spawn no matter the time... you will most likely find them under the government section of the sewers... how ever there are very rare occasions where Wererats will spawn in the rest of the sewers. But this only happens if no one has cleared it or been in there in a LONG time... and you don't see it often but when it happens it surprises you.

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

DrXavierTColtrane

• Dark Lord
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2015, 12:19:45 AM »
Thanks. I have learned to avoid the govt district sewers for the reason you describe, but the wererats seem to be spreading lately...
For everything that's lovely is
But a brief, dreamy, kind delight.

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2015, 12:56:15 AM »
hey it's the risk of roaming the sewers.. most that spawn outside government distract aren't normally strong... they are like baby wererats... but can be a pain none the less.. A group of lowbies just needs to gather and clear it out... to my knowledge this should fix the spawn around the drain.

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2015, 02:00:06 AM »
I do wonder how many wererats would be in game if we had richemulot? I assume that there would be 1000 wererats in one section of the sewers? Or maybe barovia is infested by wererats from richemulot who decided that a rural land that for some reason this medieval city has a decidely un medieval sewer system; but beyond that they love the rural countryside! :P

Syied

• Undead Slayer
  • Back from the Mists.
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2015, 02:37:55 AM »
...So, I  swear I posted a two-paragraph reply in one of these Drain threads, but it just... never got posted or subtly disappeared. I don't care to recreate the whole thing word-for-word, but I'll say this:

Please, Wererats aside, even the hordes of regular rats are just lame at The Drain entrance, because it adds a huge roadblock to (I would reckon) most any PC who doesn't have terrifically high AC and health. Those stealthy types who aren't high level are also screwed, because there are SO many rats that even a skilled stealther will be spotted and swarmed. Running through is almost a death sentence, especially since NWN's engine is heinously evil when it comes to movement and combat. The Drain is the only community area for an important caste of PCs, and the way spawns are set up at its entrance (at all hours), those PCs who need access to the community area the most (low-levels) are totally hosed. Mine thus pretty much lives and operates on the surface.

I'm totally cool with having an area in the sewers where there are TONS of rats, but not at the doorstep of The Drain.

And yes. Regular rats are that much of a threat, in such numbers, to lowbies. Given this, I'd automatically include in my feedback that Wererats just shouldn't even occur at The Drain's doorstep area.

It was said in one of these threads that PCs spend very little time in the 2-4 level range, but issues like The Drain's are the kinds of thing that agonizingly and disproportionately draw out the time spent in that range, as it's an irritating roadblock in getting a PC established (or just basically functioning).

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2015, 02:57:57 AM »
Please, Wererats aside, even the hordes of regular rats are just lame at The Drain entrance, because it adds a huge roadblock to (I would reckon) most any PC who doesn't have terrifically high AC and health. Those stealthy types who aren't high level are also screwed, because there are SO many rats that even a skilled stealther will be spotted and swarmed. Running through is almost a death sentence, especially since NWN's engine is heinously evil when it comes to movement and combat. The Drain is the only community area for an important caste of PCs, and the way spawns are set up at its entrance (at all hours), those PCs who need access to the community area the most (low-levels) are totally hosed. Mine thus pretty much lives and operates on the surface.

I'm a bit confused. These rats have never been a problem for me, on any character, ever. They're terrifically weak and if you kill one or two of them the rest flee.
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

Ercvadasz

• Dark Power
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2015, 03:17:36 AM »

I'm a bit confused. These rats have never been a problem for me, on any character, ever. They're terrifically weak and if you kill one or two of them the rest flee.

Actually that does not necessarily happen. It happens if your character is over level 5.
However if the swarm has a number of dire rats it may need level 7.
When i started to play here, i had trouble on level 3-4 fighting them as well on my lower level characters. However against the mass swarm, using grenade like items is quite a well working solution. Acid flask and the like can be bought if i recall well even by caliban type of characters. So that is a sure way to deal with them. And since if i know well Rulinus trades with caliban, it can be self financed as well.
Also another funny thing is, this is a place i thiink where burning hands is a quite usefull spell.
Currently playing:
Rudrig von Rachenthall - the travelling merchant