You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Justacorps and Akiri Should be Craftable  (Read 16441 times)

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
Re: Justacorps and Akiri Should be Craftable
« Reply #75 on: December 19, 2010, 04:54:12 PM »
I don't think I'll ever really understand how an unmodifiable bikini named for a style of fighting that has nothing to with RL (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capoeira) adds to the setting.  Actually, I'd wager making this a bikini, has resulted in it becoming a vendor trash item no one going to wear.

It's an homage to the character of Elena from Street Fighter 3: http://streetfighter.wikia.com/wiki/Elena

I simply do honestly fail to understand how an unmodifiable bikini relates in any way to the issue of 'allowing modification is unrealistic' when the item itself is unrealistic and a bikini on a server that 1. cyber/social adult rp is forbidden and 2. most of the rp is largely taking place in freezing temperatures.
Right, because the only reason to wear a bikini is ZOMG CYBERSEX LOLOL!!!!1111!!1 As for freezing temperatures, Har'Akir would like to have words with you.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 04:57:05 PM by Bluebomber4evr »

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Vespertilio

• Never met a Dark Lord, not a
  • Dark Power
  • We can't stop here, this is bat country!
    • Messages from Nihil
« Reply #76 on: December 19, 2010, 04:57:08 PM »
I don't think I'll ever really understand how an unmodifiable bikini named for a style of fighting that has nothing to with RL (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capoeira) adds to the setting.  Actually, I'd wager making this a bikini, has resulted in it becoming a vendor trash item no one going to wear.

It's an homage to the character of Elena from Street Fighter 3: http://streetfighter.wikia.com/wiki/Elena

That pretty much explains why I couldn't see how it related to the Ravenloft setting. Thankee!

I could just run into the room and punch you in the balls; sure, that's scary. That's entertainment. But it isn't horror...

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #77 on: December 19, 2010, 05:40:09 PM »
In case anyone else is scratching their heads over some of the items, I'll explain:

The Capoeria Bikini, as mentioned above, is an homage of Elena from Street Fighter III:

The White Gi is from Ryu, from all the Street Fighter games:

The Red Gi is from Ryu's rival/best friend Ken:

The Black Gi is from Akuma:

The Black Kung-Fu Pants are based on the Street Fighter character Fei Long:

who, in turn, was based off of Bruce Lee, and his look is taken from the outfit Bruce wore in Enter the Dragon.

The Delta Red Outfit is from Cammy:

The Red Vos Bear-Wrestling Trunks is based on Zangief's outfit:

The Saikyo Gi is based on Street Fighter Alpha's Dan Hibiki, a joke character known for tons of taunt moves:

The Wu-Shu Outfit is based on Chun-Li's outfits in the Street Fighter Alpha games:

The Kickboxer's Garb is based on Sagat:

Shifting from Street Fighter to Dead or Alive, we have:

The Mugen-Tenshin Hajinmon Outfit, based on the character Ayane:

And the Mugen-Tenshin Outfit, based on Kasumi:

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #78 on: December 19, 2010, 05:45:09 PM »
What about the Saffron Robe, one of my favs?   :P
I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #79 on: December 19, 2010, 06:33:19 PM »
What about the Saffron Robe, one of my favs?   :P
Those are based on the traditional garb of Buddhist monks:

DM Macabre

• Dungeon Master
  • Dark Power
« Reply #80 on: December 19, 2010, 06:57:02 PM »
 :lol: AWESOME

Mailbox0000

« Reply #81 on: December 19, 2010, 07:15:12 PM »
 :idea: Can we get snuggies? Blue, warm, awesome.

Wuddap?

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• The Cult of the Morninglord
  • Dark Power
  • The Chuck Norris of RP -Eraldur
« Reply #82 on: December 19, 2010, 11:43:28 PM »
that'd be a great item :P give a +4 vs cold saves and 5/dr vs cold or 10/dr which ever plus a higher fire vunerability then the fur clothes we got now great for those insane people who hit the baratak's peaks in the dead of winter for the ice queen lol

mayvind

« Reply #83 on: December 20, 2010, 03:37:26 AM »
Black Gi exist in loot table ? every DM i come across saying there no Black Gi in system maybe it was remove ? Now i know why those Gi dont have shoes with it ! :(

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
« Reply #84 on: December 20, 2010, 06:17:34 AM »
  I think the compromise suggested is fair.  I've seen some items in-game that it makes perfect sense for them to be unmodifiable in any way.  One example that comes to mind, though admittedly the name escapes me, is an armor one of my characters once found made entirely of raven feathers.  An item like that would be virtually impossible to modify, dying it would probably not work properly and look ridiculous.  Though, come to think of it, I'd just assumed that and never even tried to change it around at all, but it was a good example for this.  I've read the entire topic from beginning to end, considered each point carefully.  The suggested compromise doesn't limit you in customizing your character, just think of it from a realistic point of view.  Yes, presumably any item could be custom-made to any appearance you want, however, I don't think that it should necessarily be modifiable afterward.  The magic imbued into the cloth might depend on the entire piece of fabric staying the same, in other words, start trimming off pieces here and there and you ruin the enchantment.

What you die-hard customizers should have been pleading the dev team for instead is an NPC with a mannequin that allows you to select an appearance for your clothing before you buy it.  The item is then unmodifiable after purchase.  Everyone's happy.  Just a thought.  Otherwise, if you really want to get that item specially made to your liking, why not try to make RP out of it and see if a DM would possess a tailor NPC, perhaps send you out to find required materials and then makes the item for a large sum of gold (there is an item-request thread, after all).  Just thought I'd suggest a few alternatives here.  Otherwise, you basically have a choice.  If the limited modifications that they proposed aren't good enough for you, then don't wear the item and get yourself something you can modify to your heart's content.  Simple as that.  That falls in line with realism as well.  I've seen people wear HORRENDOUS-looking coats or other pieces of clothing in real life and when I asked why they would, their answer was "because it's the warmest coat I've ever come across" or some similar answer.  It boils to your PC's ego regarding fashion vs. how badly they need the benefits of the item itself.  If you were going to freeze to death, you'd wear an ugly coat if it was all you had to keep you warm.

High_Priestess_of_Tinsel

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #85 on: December 20, 2010, 08:06:19 AM »
Probably kicking a dead horse here but I still think it should all be craftable. These items 'in homage' to the outfits worn by Streetfighter charcaters are completely out ofplace in this setting and I don't see why, if they must be had, they can't be craftable. It -is- a freezing cold place where you begin, so cold you're in very real danger of freezing to death. Uncraftable bikini's, gi's, gowns and so forth just mystify me when these arguments are presented.
I may be wrong but I'd think it's alot harder to make the compromise then just make it craftable. Infact I recall crafting breaking entirely when it was attempted resulting in a mass invasion on the DM channel which should have alerted the DM's to just how many people craft their belongings, furthering the case for craftable items.
This is just a game people play to enjoy themselves, why restrict the joy when you don't have to?

Minstrel

• Official Mascot of the
  • Dark Power
  • Cat in the Hat
« Reply #86 on: December 20, 2010, 09:52:36 AM »
<3 the various gaming-related in-joke items. They're all subtle enough that they're unintrusive if you don't know of them, but give a slight grin if you do.

And I'm still happy with monk outfits making people look like monks.

Zedrik

• Warbird
  • Dark Lord
  • The Hellrabbits are watching you.
« Reply #87 on: December 20, 2010, 03:26:55 PM »
<3 the various gaming-related in-joke items. They're all subtle enough that they're unintrusive if you don't know of them, but give a slight grin if you do.

Werner still wants sword-chucks.

Warning: Don't provoke the high-level Falkovnian wizard. He bites. (And not in the good way.)

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• The Cult of the Morninglord
  • Dark Power
  • The Chuck Norris of RP -Eraldur
« Reply #88 on: December 20, 2010, 05:29:08 PM »

Werner still wants sword-chucks.

SAME! god i loved those! made me laugh so hard every time actually had dragrin use them once....just for laughs

High_Priestess_of_Tinsel

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #89 on: December 21, 2010, 04:04:30 AM »
Jokes are fine and dandy, I'm not speaking out against them. Anything that encourages people to laugh is worth while.
I just don't see how people can bang on about realism and then say half the items are in there for fun anyway...

StRaven

• New to the Mists
  • Mmm... Braaains....
    • My Gallery @ DeviantArt
« Reply #90 on: December 21, 2010, 08:04:29 AM »
I think major argument to items from game / game words not related to Ravenloft, as funny jokes as they may be. They do brake the immersion to roleplay. Especially when players are 'forced' to wear them (those who absolutely need to wear them).

Little nods are fine, maybe make an npc or two around the world to say those things those particular characters say and do (Street Fighter geared peoples in basmenet of tavern praticiapting in a tournament fighting? Or vampire slayer from Castlevania wandering around the outskirts of castle Ravenloft?). That way at least people who wish to, could avoid the jokes and roleplay braking impact some of them have (barefeet and bikinis in winter).

I think it'd feel less "offending", if uncrafatable items were from approved settings (Eberronian artificer items, Forgotten Realms artifacts, Krynnian books, and etc).

On the other hand, you can just simply not wear them.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 08:08:07 AM by StRaven »

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
  • Fata volentem ducunt, nolentem trahunt
    • Facebook page
« Reply #91 on: December 21, 2010, 08:11:49 AM »
Someone already knows this, but just to cool this thread down....

HA HA!

http://www.facebook.com/CiaranII
Pokemon Go! 5688 6574 4676

dark_majico

« Reply #92 on: December 21, 2010, 08:25:47 AM »
Probably kicking a dead horse here but I still think it should all be craftable. These items 'in homage' to the outfits worn by Streetfighter charcaters are completely out ofplace in this setting and I don't see why, if they must be had, they can't be craftable. It -is- a freezing cold place where you begin, so cold you're in very real danger of freezing to death. Uncraftable bikini's, gi's, gowns and so forth just mystify me when these arguments are presented.

They are not out of place, these Ki's and gowns are from other lands, which in itself explains why they look how they do. If there where no other countrys/realms in the D&D universe and there was only Ravenloft, then yes they would be out of place, and probably shouldnt have been put in the toolset, but we are lucky that D&D is as varied and culture packed as the real world.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #93 on: December 21, 2010, 09:10:36 AM »
technically if it was just Ravenloft, it wouldn't limit the cultural references on garbs in the very least, since most cultures are represented to some degree

Minstrel

• Official Mascot of the
  • Dark Power
  • Cat in the Hat
« Reply #94 on: December 21, 2010, 09:31:21 AM »
I have to agree. If anything buggers up my realism vibe, it's the people in Full Plate armour that they've disguised as a classy summer jacket, something still possible with these changes.

StRaven

• New to the Mists
  • Mmm... Braaains....
    • My Gallery @ DeviantArt
« Reply #95 on: December 21, 2010, 12:00:13 PM »
I have to agree. If anything buggers up my realism vibe, it's the people in Full Plate armour that they've disguised as a classy summer jacket, something still possible with these changes.
Agreed.

Aahz

• Dark Power
  • People don't like to be meddled with.
« Reply #96 on: December 21, 2010, 01:07:57 PM »
Agreed.

Would you care to write my character's description for me?   Why don't you just go ahead and play my character for me while you are at it?

I trust I have made my point clear?

I will also point out that Ravanloft is as close to gothic horror as Ladyhawk is to medieval France.
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

Minstrel

• Official Mascot of the
  • Dark Power
  • Cat in the Hat
« Reply #97 on: December 21, 2010, 01:16:45 PM »
Agreed.

Would you care to write my character's description for me?   Why don't you just go ahead and play my character for me while you are at it?

I trust I have made my point clear?

I will also point out that Ravanloft is as close to gothic horror as Ladyhawk is to medieval France.

Does your character do that?

Can't even remember seeing them in-game. I think we're not in the right timezone for me to do so.

I apologise if you thought I meant you alone. It's something commonly done. Hence why it becomes a peeve.

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #98 on: December 21, 2010, 01:22:56 PM »
Alright, I'm locking this thread. It's now getting into insults and yelling and it's not necessary.

There will always some items that will not be 100% craftable. That's just something you'll have to live with. With the compromise, though, most items will allow for some customization, such as robes or dying.

Once I have time, I will make adjustments to some of the non-craftable items so that they will be partially craftable and hand out replacements in-game.