Author Topic: Har'Akir Feedback  (Read 24956 times)

dark_majico

Re: Har'Akir Feedback
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2010, 04:06:01 AM »
Just as in real life , you would travel at dusk or dawn in a desert , in this case Its better to travel at night . :twocents:

Deserts normaly drop below freezing at night, so ide be happy if they put in freezing damage aswell LOL

Telkar

• Dark Power
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2010, 05:54:20 AM »
Just as in real life , you would travel at dusk or dawn in a desert , in this case Its better to travel at night . :twocents:

Deserts normaly drop below freezing at night, so ide be happy if they put in freezing damage aswell LOL

Seconded.

Zedrik

• Warbird
  • Dark Lord
  • The Hellrabbits are watching you.
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2010, 10:17:50 PM »

Seconded.

They are either going to add in cold damage or say the Wall of Re is keeping it warm. I don't know if they decided.

Warning: Don't provoke the high-level Falkovnian wizard. He bites. (And not in the good way.)

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2010, 10:45:12 PM »
They are either going to add in cold damage or say the Wall of Re is keeping it warm. I don't know if they decided.

According to the Campaign Setting:

Doorways and windows are open portals that allow cool breezes to circulate indoors, though at night they are draped with linen to keep out the evening chill.

Zedrik

• Warbird
  • Dark Lord
  • The Hellrabbits are watching you.
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2010, 11:23:19 PM »

According to the Campaign Setting:

Doorways and windows are open portals that allow cool breezes to circulate indoors, though at night they are draped with linen to keep out the evening chill.

By warm, I meant not freezing.

Warning: Don't provoke the high-level Falkovnian wizard. He bites. (And not in the good way.)

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2010, 11:29:24 PM »
By warm, I meant not freezing.

Yeah, like a normal desert. The temperature drop is significant since a desert could get as hot as 40-50 Celsius during the day, then drop to 0-5 at night. That's a 40-50 drop within a few hours, which I guess probably hurts since your body has to adjust to two extremes, but it's not insanely cold (Barovia would be around -20/-30 I think in the dead of winter in the mountainous regions).

dark_majico

« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2010, 01:50:32 PM »

By that I should have said cold damage, not freezing damage.

Jadow_Valroth

• Undead Slayer
    • My facebook
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2011, 04:52:41 AM »
Just went through this place tonight, the smaller dungeon with the "Anubis" deals, and the Temple with all the Mummies, Crocs, and Mummy boss. The Temple at least was at MAX spawn. The first place we went with the Anubis guards, was nice looking. The DC's were in the 50's for all the locks, and around 45 or so for the traps.

I was surprised however we found hardly any loot. A couple sets of armor, and a shield, a few lock picks, and a scroll or two.

The second place was the same, no real loot to speak of. A couple lock picks, 2x "Coffers of Voice Stealing" and 2x "Ghoul Gloves" or whatever. Beyond that, a scroll or two.

For the difficulty of this place, traps, locks, harsh weather, and extreme monsters. The treasure found was very disappointing..

Beyond that, I liked the feel of the place, the need for water though was awful. It didn't really inform when we needed to drink, and we become exhausted within a few minutes.

I would say to take a look at the weather system, and to up the loot scare to be in line with the challenge of the area and DC of locks and traps.
Jadow Valroth - Fighter/Rogue
Chanler Dermar - Cleric of Pelor
Ravish Yale - Wizard
Victor Malvaious - Paladin
Kaliev Valen - Druid
Jerrick Malas - Fighter/WM
Myth Valandil - Bard

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2011, 10:03:07 PM »
I've sent in an update for Har'Akir. I've:

-toned down the number of spawns in the exterior areas to make it feel more deserted (worked or not?);
-added scarab caps, a new herbalism recipe;
-fixed various small bugs with shops;
-raised the loot in some dungeons;
-removed hostile spawns near non-hostile NPCs (including Vistani caravan);
-revised the difficulty of greater dust devils (Lock did that);
-fixed a bug that made shadow asps spawn outside with other normal snakes and fixed a minor bug with jackalweres
-added more items to the treasuries

I think that's more or less it for this update. It should be in soon(ish). I might have broken more stuff, who knows, so feedback will be appreciated.

Kenkaku

• Undead Master
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2011, 10:46:52 PM »
I found some Whip Templates today after checking the Har'Akir tanner shop guy to make sure he had leather templates. I tried a few things to see if I could make a whip, but no dice so far. Do they require a specific type of leather to make? Or have they not been fully implemented yet? I'm curious, I'd like to see what kind of things I can make from the various hides there are.

Also, tested some Will-O'-Wisp dust in the alchemist building. It didn't seem to work there even with four and I tried both stations with both Resin and the Bottle. I'm going to try it again at another alchemist station once I get back to one.

EDIT: Yea, seems the alchemist in Har'Akir wasn't working. Just made my varnish at Port without a problem.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 02:34:24 PM by Kenkaku »
I am but a blade, A simple tool of destruction.

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2011, 11:38:50 PM »
I found some Whip Templates today after checking the Har'Akir tanner shop guy to make sure he had leather templates. I tried a few things to see if I could make a whip, but no dice so far. Do they require a specific type of leather to make? Or have they not been fully implemented yet? I'm curious, I'd like to see what kind of things I can make from the various hides there are.

Also, tested some Will-O'-Wisp dust in the alchemist building. It didn't seem to work there even with four and I tried both stations with both Resin and the Bottle. I'm going to try it again at another alchemist station once I get back to one.

EDIT: Yea, seems the alchemist in Har'Akir wasn't working. Just made my varnish at Port without a problem.

Not sure about the whips. As for the alchemist, I found a bug with the materials he sold, but the placeables themselves "should" work. Have you tested them with materials bought elsewhere?

Kenkaku

• Undead Master
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2011, 11:52:22 PM »

Not sure about the whips. As for the alchemist, I found a bug with the materials he sold, but the placeables themselves "should" work. Have you tested them with materials bought elsewhere?

Ahh, no, I haven't tested with a bottle or resin from anywhere else, but I can certainly give it a shot tomorrow after class.

Kenkaku

• Undead Master
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2011, 01:03:21 PM »
I found a bug with the materials he sold, but the placeables themselves "should" work. Have you tested them with materials bought elsewhere?

Just tested this and, yes, materials bought elsewhere will work in the stations. I tested both the bottle and resin from Har'Akir itself and neither worked, but ones from Port worked just fine so it looks like that's the problem.

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2011, 11:21:37 PM »
Alright, in that case, I know what caused it and will fix it for my next update.

Kenkaku

• Undead Master
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2011, 11:40:01 PM »
On a separate note, I was wondering if it would be possible to update the CR listings to add in the newer enemies like those in Har'Akir so that we can gauge and comment on them.

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2012, 08:59:05 PM »
Visited the desert last night for the first time and, was like walking around the desert at midnight then my character was getting, extremely, thirsty so fast. I thought deserts were supposed to be cool during the night. Anyway, I think the dehydration speed is a bit too fast.

Honoun

• Dark Lord
  • Happy Rainy Days
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2012, 04:49:02 AM »
Agreed, last night when I was there I was noting the temperature when entering a new area and it always stated the current temperature at 30 degrees Celsius, even at the wee hours of the morning where the average temperature should, if this were anything like a real desert (mmmm... cake) ahem... Should drop down to 0 or even less. Of course I'm just being pedantic about this. That said you're not likely going to get thirsty as often in the cool of the night however I think this was corrected cause my char was only needing to take a drink every other hour or so I think, so it may have been fixed or maybe I was just lucky...Or just dreamed it, seem to be doing that a lot lately :P

EberronBruce

• Dark Power
  • Legos
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2012, 01:46:29 PM »
I think it is a miss conceptions that deserts go below freezing during night. It may not be the case, maybe during winter.

Anyone living in Phoenix, Las Vegas, around New Mexico can probably contest this. Sometimes nights can be hot especially if the silicon in the sand collects the energy from the heat and radiates it back at night. Though in semiconductor fields the specific heat changes based on dopents.

Daboomer

• Dark Power
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2012, 02:05:20 PM »
I think it depends on which desert if they go colder degrees. But they will never from what i know actually reach winter degrees like here.

Reaver

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2012, 02:40:23 PM »
I think it is a miss conceptions that deserts go below freezing during night. It may not be the case, maybe during winter.

Anyone living in Phoenix, Las Vegas, around New Mexico can probably contest this. Sometimes nights can be hot especially if the silicon in the sand collects the energy from the heat and radiates it back at night. Though in semiconductor fields the specific heat changes based on dopents.

During my time training in Mojave, as well as in Afgan I can confirm deserts can be absolutely FREEZING in the winter, especially at night, but during summer days, the nights in both were still very warm.

Crimson Shuriken

• Happy Shoulders
  • Dark Power
  • Flying through the air with deadly intent!
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2012, 02:59:08 PM »
Deserts of the like Har'Akir is supposed to be don't necessarily drop to freezing temperatures, the main thing is that the temperature changes VASTLY because of albedo and lack of denser materials that absorb heat. So essentially it all dissipates quickly instead of staying warm like earthly and moist places that cool down quicker in darkness. A desert does not hold onto the heat energy from ultraviolet light and within a few hours nearly everything is ambient temperature again. The longest lasting hot spot is rock, which is why cold blooded things like lizards and snakes will lounge on rocks in the early evening so they can maintain heat enough to make it through the plummeting temperatures until dawn. 40 °C (104 °F) in day can drop to 5° C (41 °F) at night, and things like hypothermia become a factor. Its exasperated by the fact dwellers in deserts have loose fitting and light garments that don't keep body heat so nighttime can be dangerous.

All that is as example, not scientific journalism.

I'm so casual, my shoes look like feet.

Geiger

« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2012, 03:02:07 PM »
Har'Akir has nothing to do with science or nature. The place is an aberrant hellscape of sand and fury filled with foul magic, wasted ruins, and terrible monsters. It's hot simply because its hot - the Darklord and his self loathing more or less empower the heat.

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2012, 03:11:42 PM »
Right. It's hot in Har'akir because of the Wrath of Ra... the entire place is surrounded by the Wall of Ra and will roast you alive if you try to cross it.
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Crimson Shuriken

• Happy Shoulders
  • Dark Power
  • Flying through the air with deadly intent!
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2012, 03:53:32 PM »
Eh, well, the physics/metaphysics nature of Harakir and anywhere can be disregarded in such a way as its really true of the whole setting since its not an actual planet and does not actually spin or rotate or revolve.
I was mostly answering the physics question in generalities regarding the "misconception" that deserts get really cold at night.

I'm so casual, my shoes look like feet.

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2012, 04:01:32 PM »
Sometimes it is! D: