Author Topic: Har'Akir Feedback  (Read 24950 times)

Emomina

• Dark Power
Har'Akir Feedback
« on: November 10, 2010, 07:29:25 AM »
Figure its time our newest domain deserves a running thread for feedback.

I am thoroughly impressed with the implementation of what is in the server so far. The environment and culture of the domain is something unlike anything else we've had, and the colour palette is rich and vibrant and something fresh to look at. The system of heat exhaustion is a nice change from the norm, and really makes Har'Akir feel different. Aesthetically, its gorgeous. I think I have seen all of what is in, and its all well done, easily navigated, spacing is good with proper feeling of desolation or bustling depending. The creatures that populate are nicely flavored, and fit the theme. Nice use of Egyptian themed artwork and placables, you can actually get immersed and feel the desert landscape and ancient buried civilization. And I especially like the Wall of Ra, both the damage, and the appearance of unearthly heat. Its especially nice to look at once the sun god has finished his daily travel and Nut the Earthmother wraps the world in her cool embrace  :P

Really excited and think its a wonderful addition, and thank you to all the developers involved in bringing it into PotM.

I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.

Aran

• Undead Master
  • Into the storm with teeth bared !
    • vikings rule
Re: Har'Akir Feedback
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 08:24:47 AM »
totally agree
always liket that egyptian feel and mummies
i missed the old mummies of the temple now i have them back :-)

Aran: Deceased......twice
Arakor: the void within that chills the heart
Markos Donarew: the broken husk
Bronk: ADHD
Marg: the silent hand that kills

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
  • Fata volentem ducunt, nolentem trahunt
    • Facebook page
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 09:59:23 AM »
Emomina could not be less complete in his comment which I share 100%.

I have not had the chance to visit the dungeons yet, but for what is related about the spots which could be used for RP I see a lot of potential in this new area. What I liked particularly was the variety of new items at the bazaar, while the new heating system is really something making you feel the pain of characters, as the cold on Barovian mountains.

The Barovian claustrophobia is felt in a different way, with the legalized slavism and the lack of chance to move too far from the town because of its vital resources as water. The dunes give, on the other hand, agoraphobia, as some of the wild lBarovian landscapes.

I look forward to many adventures in that place, being me DM or player-side. I expect a lot of stories coming out from Har-Akir.
http://www.facebook.com/CiaranII
Pokemon Go! 5688 6574 4676

Lim Pol

• The Cult of the Morninglord
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 10:28:22 AM »
Looked around this place alot, my favorite setting.  This place rocks, atomsphere of the town is very good.  :D

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 10:50:33 AM »
now to just get those unconnected transitions connected to something...

anyway I love the Domain... and the Thirst System, now that water actually works

the desert actually feels like it stretches on and on
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 03:24:12 PM by HellsPanda »

Dhark

• Dark Power
  • Ladul !
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 03:23:08 PM »
I was given a guided tour last night of the general area & a dungeon & I have to say its fantastic !

Perfect atmoshpere & the dungeons are superbly built .

My only suggestions are that for one , it would be nice to see some slaves toiling on some construction (they may well do this as I only saw them in tents at night)
and secondly that its yet another uber high level area, off limits to most players due to the levels needed to survive an encounter.

Besides that the rolling dunes , the artifacts & items , the use of language all go to create possibly the finest crafted domain yet ( I havent seen Hazlan yet)

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 05:40:54 PM »
The Greater Dust Devils are about the only impossible task to mid or low levels in my opinion.

tzaeru

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 05:46:13 PM »
and secondly that its yet another uber high level area, off limits to most players due to the levels needed to survive an encounter.

I didn't get a feeling of Har'Akir being high level. I found nothing that was ANY challenge for a character of level 15 or above. Or, not to either of my characters who are that, i.e. a wizard and a paladin.

Most monsters - and the only dungeon I saw - would probably be doable for a party of level 7s. Only troublesome monster I found was Desert Troll (and that was rather badass. huge regen. took me a while to beat it with a level 19 char) but I only saw 1 of those.

On the other news.. I like the place, the NPCs are very interesting and have a lot of knowledge packed to them. It's full of small details that are very entrancing. Only thing I didn't much fancy is the fact that where ever you go outside of the city, you always end up fighting.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 05:53:35 PM by tzaeru »

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 06:46:03 PM »
It's an absolutely stunning area. I didn't get to explore terribly much due to the dehydration bug and haven't gotten to go back yet, but what I saw was amazing. I love the little details as well, such as the watermongors getting upset if you step into the oasis. The desert zombies are really awesome too. All of the scripting is excellent. I like the effects for the burning hot areas as well and how that was achieved with minimal particle effects. The designwork on this server is absolutely amazing, the creative use of tools and tilesets to really achieve a feeling. I look forward to going and checking the dungeons out!

Mrjunkie

• Dark Lord
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 05:09:28 AM »
I love it! All the +'s have already been mentioned so all i can do is add a big +1.

I would like to see Cold Checks at night, as the hazzards of a desert is the searing heat by day and the bone chilling cold at night.

Sandstorms, to disorientate, hurt and blind wanderers of the sands. (Perhaps even port to various random spots as you'd be lost/die in a sand storm)

Temple Of Harvest, the statue's give the option themselves to accept the puzzle pieces, i'd rather see players make the choise and if they make the wrong one... :bonk:

Other than that im completely contented! :D

Dire Corby

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2010, 10:15:44 AM »
I had *so* much fun RPing there!  It's fun to dress like the natives and sit on cushions and drink tea made of local herbs.  I also enjoyed the merchants in the marketplace calling out to advertise their wares.

I do feel that the Greater Dust Devils should not spam Knockdown so relentlessly.  They already make you blind, which is crippling enough, and are hard to hit.  Maybe KD once every 3 or 4 attacks?

jugnaut

• Dark Lord
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2010, 12:22:48 PM »
Dust Devils are too powerful.  They spammed KD on my ranger who has 22 Discipline and he got knocked down almost every time....also having a priestess available for raises/healing would be a good idea.

Mortimer-uber hin
Istvan Csapek-"hm hm hm"
Erik Draven-Ezra's Anchorite
Kalmah-Ex-Vardo

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2010, 03:12:40 PM »
I am quite sure it is only oversight that the NPC is not in the Temple. I expect a cleric will be in the temple soonish with an update.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2010, 03:21:02 PM »
it is, spoke with the Dev when we had a pair of corpses there, it was simply an oversight and will be fixed soon

Mailbox0000

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2010, 08:34:27 PM »

Har'Akir, from what I've seen so far, is by far the finest crafted Domain I've yet to see.

I especially love the perils of the desert, and wish more areas would be designed in the same vein. Where there are challenges and dangers not just in the bloody dungeons. (Only other examples that come to mind are under Dvergeheim and the Frozen Abyss.)

Add my vote to cold damage at night.

Darcarna

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2010, 11:13:45 PM »
It is absolutely fantastic! 

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2010, 11:37:56 AM »
I have not been their yet; but I am curious is their large amounts of tin/copper to make bronze, considering that seems to be the technological level of the place?

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2010, 11:43:26 AM »
According to the Campaign Setting, there is no copper or tin in Har'Akir. Considering the way the desert is made, it's likely that most resources are untapped as well since few people leave the town itself to venture out.

Trade and Diplomacy: Resources — wheat, millet, flax, beans, dates, figs, sheep, goats, cattle, camels, iron, salt, gypsum, talc, cloth.

Dhark

• Dark Power
  • Ladul !
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2010, 12:02:58 PM »
Lockleed should be added to the list of gods for the domain , from the babble of the market place to the dry & dusty tombs the whole place is simply outstanding . I feel like doning a battered fedora & whip every time I go there. :whip:

My two major gripes about the area are ,

1) The spawns near the Vistani wagon constantly killing the captain (Ive been there on five occasions & benn stuck four of those visits)

2) The absence of any preist in what must be the most godly domain in all the core. (having to drag a body across the desert & then all the way to Barovia is a royal pain)

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2010, 12:04:28 PM »
1) The spawns near the Vistani wagon constantly killing the captain (Ive been there on five occasions & benn stuck four of those visits)
I've fixed that for the next update. There shouldn't be any spawns in that area anymore (aside from normal animals).

2) The absence of any preist in what must be the most godly domain in all the core. (having to drag a body across the desert & then all the way to Barovia is a royal pain)
Normally, Snefru, the priestess NPC in the Temple of Muhar should be able to raise people. There was a bug with that, but I'll get that fixed in my next update.

Telkar

• Dark Power
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2010, 01:02:10 PM »
Simply awesome domain, and very challenging, and just keeps getting better as I explore more. With the last area we went into, we figured we actually 'needed' a proper rogue with us to get anywhere, not because of crowbar-immune things, but cause the DCs were hardcore. A good sign to me.  :thumbup:

Zedrik

• Warbird
  • Dark Lord
  • The Hellrabbits are watching you.
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2010, 01:26:34 PM »
According to the Campaign Setting, there is no copper or tin in Har'Akir. Considering the way the desert is made, it's likely that most resources are untapped as well since few people leave the town itself to venture out.

Trade and Diplomacy: Resources — wheat, millet, flax, beans, dates, figs, sheep, goats, cattle, camels, iron, salt, gypsum, talc, cloth.

By that logic, there's no tin or copper in Barovia either.
There's only:
Resources — wheat, corn, turnips, cabbage, potatoes, plums, sunflowers, grapes, goats, sheep, chickens, trout, pike, sausage, spirits, timber, iron, salt.

If the Akiri are making mostly bronze weapons, they need to be getting tin and copper somewhere. And since it used to be an isolated domain that had next to no contact with the outside world, if they were making such weapons before, it's most likely they got tin and copper from somewhere within Har'Akir.

Warning: Don't provoke the high-level Falkovnian wizard. He bites. (And not in the good way.)

Bato

• Dark Lord
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2010, 02:22:46 PM »
The water-exhaustion system is a bit too extreme.
I have to take a gulp of water every minute or so? I'm trying to not die from something so I'm running and guzzling water at the same time.
I just think reducing the need for water a small bit would be nice.

I'm fine with the Days being harsh, and on that. It would be neat if the traders and everything came out at night rather than the day.
To where, basically it's dangerous to be out during the day it's when all the NPCs sleep, everyone locks up and all.
And night it's relatively safe and not burning you to death and all the NPCs come out and do their runs.

Other than those two things that have been niggling me. The place is awesome.

Dhark

• Dark Power
  • Ladul !
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2010, 03:27:15 PM »
Just as in real life , you would travel at dusk or dawn in a desert , in this case Its better to travel at night . :twocents:

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2010, 05:56:26 PM »
it also isn't bad, unless you start getting alot of thirst