Author Topic: Wielding Wands  (Read 3376 times)

dark_majico

Wielding Wands
« on: November 06, 2010, 06:29:34 AM »
I thought I had suggested this in the past and have done a search and didnt find any results, so I appologise if this has allready been discussed. I think wands and rods should be equiped before they are used, I cant see any sense in having them activated without holding them, simply having them in your inventory and having up to say 50 charges to use is sloppy and I dont understand why the game wasnt coded to require them to be held, or if it once did why it was changed.

Rusults of the pole are only viewed after your vote is cast. Vote time 10 days before closure. No switching votes.

tzaeru

• Dark Power
Re: Wielding Wands
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 07:16:05 AM »
Using a wand already takes a standard action like supposed to. I'd find having to swap weapons in midsts of combat a bit grumbelsome, also can't really affect the hand that draws the wand.

It would be nice for the visual aspect and a bit more immersion, but might be a little annoying in-game. And thus I pass the vote for now.

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 07:30:02 AM »
Only if we find a steel wand +1.
Noignar Huillen: Ilmater Cleric.
Hedien Gine: Arrow and Bow Artist.
Dolin Schneim: Dwarven Soldier

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 07:59:37 AM »
Have you considered the technical implications of this?

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 09:07:54 AM »
I am guessing nope, few ideas really do

Loose-Tooth

• New to the Mists
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 09:39:21 AM »
The casting part is reduced but I assumed it part of the time taken to activate. Personal spell casting is slightly slower and this doesn't change with feats such as Still Spell. Also the whole drawing weapons of enormous size as equally speedily is a factor. An effect would be great, but too painful to actually bother with IMHO. There's a lot of things we rp around or otherwise have to deal with due to the limits of the game design. Sleeping in a bed at the inn for example. The text in the combat menu is sufficient to explain to me the details. The idea is sound, but if we start doing it, please make sure -all- the items with effects get the same treatment. Firepipes, Dragons eyes, and so on down the list. Thanks for reading this!

Minstrel

• Official Mascot of the
  • Dark Power
  • Cat in the Hat
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 09:56:10 AM »
AFAIK, no Wand model exists. That, and every single wand in the toolset would have to be replaced with an equippable item. And even then I'm not sure if you'd be forced to have it equipped to use.

Would you suggest the same thing with potions as well? I mean I can't imagine being able to uncap and down the contents of a bottle whilst holding a sword and shield. That makes even less sense than gripping a wand with two fingers and pointing it at something.

Psyche

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 10:20:21 AM »
Wand models do exist. They're even in the haks we use.

Minstrel

• Official Mascot of the
  • Dark Power
  • Cat in the Hat
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2010, 10:26:31 AM »
Wand models do exist. They're even in the haks we use.

O rly?

I've just never seen one, then.

derp.

Anyway, there IS a visual representation, what with the whole throwing your arms forward thing. The only difference is that you're not holding a stick.

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2010, 11:43:24 AM »
Just to make sure: you (creator of the thread) realize that the poll is rather conductive to the votes, right?

I mean, you could be more direct: Do you want wands to be equipped, or do you want to keep them hidden in your backpacks, being able to throw magic missiles and other spells without  any kind of realism or commom sense?

If I could, personally, I'd go to: Do you want to keep the actual system of wands or do you want to have to equip the wand before using as if it had the same difficult to hold as a katana?

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2010, 12:08:33 PM »
and Minstrel, clearly we have the potions attached to special mounts on our helmets, so we can just drink the right potion

Minstrel

• Official Mascot of the
  • Dark Power
  • Cat in the Hat
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2010, 12:18:43 PM »
and Minstrel, clearly we have the potions attached to special mounts on our helmets, so we can just drink the right potion

GENIUS.

*runs off to model this kind of contraption onto a plate helm*
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 12:21:09 PM by Minstrel »

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2010, 12:22:18 PM »

Well... guess WHERE I keep the wands ready to use.

dark_majico

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2010, 12:32:42 PM »
Have you considered the technical implications of this?

Im not aware of any technical implications but if there are it would be appreciated if you could go into detail. As far as I was aware you just have to edit the wands line in baseitems.2da and set 'equipable' to 1.

Minstrel

• Official Mascot of the
  • Dark Power
  • Cat in the Hat
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2010, 12:32:57 PM »

There we go. Both problems solved. Beer helmets and crotch-wands.

*is so off-topic right now*
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 12:35:04 PM by Minstrel »

dark_majico

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2010, 07:35:39 PM »

There we go. Both problems solved. Beer helmets and crotch-wands.

*is so off-topic right now*

There is an entire section of the forum reserved for spam crap thank you very much.

Dhark

• Dark Power
  • Ladul !
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2010, 11:58:43 PM »
I vote option No.3 ....Wands & staves should never have been added and space in the treasure tables should have been given up to fighter specific items.

Darcarna

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2010, 12:15:21 AM »
I vote option No.3 ....Wands & staves should never have been added and space in the treasure tables should have been given up to fighter specific items.

LOL

I would be fine with either as I switch weapons frequently as is.
Would just quickslot, equip, use, re-equip weapon, so all and all I don't really see why the change would be necessary save making Me feed My OCD desire to replace it back into its designated bag after every use.

Isivien

• New to the Mists
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2010, 12:12:05 AM »
I've seen the wieldable wands and they were much more realistic, I liked them a lot.  Make them useable in either hand and you can still use a weapon in the other but you'll suffer the dual-wield penalties while you're fumbling with the wand :)   An alternative might be to not make wands at all and only use magic staves.

Ellana Twiggy

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2010, 11:08:55 PM »
I'll drop in my two cents *drops two fangs*, I think wands shouldn't be found at all, that they should only be able to be made once/if the enchanting part of crafting ever comes about. I do agree that wands should be seen as well, sorry I wasn't able to vote there on this one. . .think I was in transit at the time.  I think the same of magic staves, they should be made and not found. Any char that I've played in pen and paper as a caster has always cursed thier items so that none but thier blood line could use them, I do not see why a litch or alhoon would do any different, just to keep noisy adventurers from stealing things.  But thats my take on it. :)