You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Pages added to the back of a wizard's spellbook. (Zachary's journal)  (Read 9675 times)

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 12:19:25 PM by Norture »

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
Re: Pages added to the back of a wizard's spellbook. (Zachary's journal)
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 10:21:37 PM »
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 12:19:46 PM by Norture »

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 11:44:25 PM »
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 12:30:52 PM by Norture »

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 02:16:43 AM »
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 12:31:08 PM by Norture »

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 11:56:34 PM »
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 12:31:26 PM by Norture »

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 11:48:56 PM »

« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 12:32:01 PM by Norture »

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 05:05:41 PM »
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 12:37:00 PM by Norture »

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 05:29:06 PM »
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 12:37:19 PM by Norture »

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 03:45:05 AM »
I keep hoping it isn't true. The night is pervasive, seeping its way indoors from the outside. I want to believe there are still safe places left, but I can't just let my guard down. They call me paranoid, but it's kept me alive, kept me free.
That half-elf handed me the seed, the thought. I thought nothing of it at first, there are so many evils lurking about. But the seed grew, and I thought to myself, the times match, the descriptions match. Things were different that night a few days prior, and have been ever since. The lights at home always kept snuffed, no matter how many times I try to relight them. Even the shadow-sneaks aren't that persistent. But it all began that night.
Coincidences, it could have been. I was still skeptical, mostly out of shock. How could it be? But in a later talk, the half-elf described her people being oppressed by Amn and Calimsham. Just earlier, she described being held down and told how weak and worthless she was, a display of power from the nightly one.
I began the tests. Tests that have had ill results thus far. I can only hope my final one, the most damning one, proves otherwise.

And then there are those elves. Another problem from home manifesting itself here. Those who would take humanity's worst traits, our greed, our loathing, our contempt for fellow living things, and degrade elven high culture with it. Another thing I probably wouldn't have thought of if I didn't talk with that half-elf. They too are here, I cannot let my guard down.

I saw the Black Rabbit in Port, as well as other faces I know. I set upon spending time there to catch up. Not to mention the safety of being in a city that doesn't sleep. But today I returned to home to submit some paperwork, and all of a sudden things are happening. A shorty lurking about looking for work, a pistol murderer working in the alleys. Quite curious, I need to look into all of this.

I just realized, I gave Vasco those two swords chained together to become some sort of exotic flail. How sad, he probably doesn't appreciate the absurdity of them. They're probably just numbers to him and will be discarded quickly, no one in their right mind would buy such a silly thing. I'll have to find another pair sometime.

(//ooc: I'm not sure if Zach's stream of thought rambling works in text format. I'll try and draw a picture up for it soon)

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 02:37:52 PM »
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 12:37:38 PM by Norture »

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2011, 07:42:57 PM »
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 12:38:56 PM by Norture »

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2012, 04:47:54 AM »
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 12:39:26 PM by Norture »

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 08:54:44 PM »
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 12:39:43 PM by Norture »

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 02:28:24 AM »
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 12:40:04 PM by Norture »

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 12:02:23 AM »
I should transcribe my encounters with the mist, so I have a record while it is still in my mind. It all started a week or two ago. I was heading to Port to talk with Michael about things too dangerous to talk to in Barovia. I waited for him on the road, and my head began to tingle and feel strange. I looked around and saw nothing. Concerned, I traveled west towards the Midway haven and stayed on a more traveled portion of the road. On the ground, with a gust of wind bursting from it as though to announce its presence, a newsletter appeared. The newsletter I've seen before, during investigations into a murder. I still need to put all my old notes together from that, but that's for another entry. The newsletter is titled "Lies happening in Vallaki," and it says:
"On the 14th hour he died in vain that sorrowful day! And we celebrated them in our ignorance while son's and daughter's are severed from their mum's bosom! Slaughtered, forgotten! And the children cry still ever more than before and you cannot hear them while I cannot read what I write! I am no blind man! I see you every day! I pray these words to make sense one day! Knees tattered, throats gagged and choked! Death is coming, pray it does not find me, you will have to read this a while longer! I hate this stench! Vomit on a floorboard and could I be blamed?! NO!"

After picking up the paper, Michael finally arrived. This is around when the headaches began, sharp intense pains that fill my head. It's impossible to describe how blindingly painful they are. The pain comes in short bursts, it is usually over quickly, but as it happens it's hard to react at all. As we moved, the mist began to surround us and taunt us. It seemed to flow past unnaturally in solid gusts. The sun was beginning to set, we rushed as quickly as we could to the Vistani camp and arrived at Port. I told Michael details about the situation regarding Dumitrascu, before the intense pain began to throb again. It was horribly intense, I think I blacked out. The next thing I remember was a vision.

The vision was almost real. I was surrounded by darkness, the scene illuminated by some form of magic orb, and a house on fire. In front of me was some form of ghostly figure with an easel in front of himself, painting about ten to fifteen suffering children that were frozen in place before us. The children had spiders all over them, crawling up their arms, biting them. They were helpless to do anything. The figure then addressed me, demanding what I knew of the 14th hour, and telling me a net was cast, and I was the biggest fish to be caught by it. That there are others caught by it as well. After it was all said and done, he disappeared, and everything faded and went black. I woke up again in Port, with Michael quite upset and making sure I was alright. The mists then appeared again and showed us Vallaki. We stepped through into it. I wasn't sure if it was a trick or part of its game, but it took us straight back to Vallaki. I talked to a woman named Ana about it, she believes I may be haunted. At this point I don't know if it's the mist playing games, or a vampire, or both.

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2012, 12:26:02 AM »
The second mist haunting was just as bad as the first. I was in the Prancing Nymph with Serafim, Ben, and a violent woman. A bouncer handed me a piece of paper saying to meet with someone in the far room on the left upstairs. I went to the room and knocked, the door opened, and the room was empty. It could have been a sneak, I closed the door and waited. In ran a madman, inflicted with the same sort of mist curse that I am it seems. He grabbed onto me and demanded who I was, he wanted to know why he could see me, what I knew about the 14th hour. It seems like I'm so far on the outside of this so far, he doesn't know why I'm here, why he can see me and hear me. He mentioned something about voices in his head, I wonder if I was a voice in his head. Or, if he is a voice in mine, if we feel each others' presence without ever being near one another. He talked about a gray vampire who walks down the street, watching all of the children as he passes by. Their parents just watch and do nothing. He began to rant about how I'm just a pawn and know nothing, how I'm not involved. I tried to see if I actually was a voice in his head and if I could get him to say more, but he was too far gone. He began screaming about how everyone is dead.

I went back downstairs and sat down again, before the pain in my head continued again. I forced my way outside, to try and keep the mist out of the tavern. Surely enough, once outside, it surrounded me. The pain got worse, I could barely see through each pounding pulse of it. I'm not sure how much time passed, but strange monsters began to appear. Some horrible demon lurked around me, watching me. Serafim, Ben, and the violent women all came outside around this point. Serafim refused to leave my side, I stood in front of her as another monster appeared. A doppleganger of some sort I think. I didn't want it to harm her, that was the only thought in my head. It grabbed onto my face, its eyes bulging and face contorting, eventually taking on my shape. Its hands felt cold and clammy, even through the pain I could feel it. It sent a shiver down my spine, it was completely unnatural.  Once it took my shape, it screamed and ran off. I'm not sure when they left, but I was all alone after it was gone. The mist began to pour a stream of water down onto the ground for a minute or two, before a flame appeared. The flame quickly began to grow, knowing that other people could experience these happenings made me worry it was real and not an illusion. I fled for the sewers so the mist would follow, so the city wouldn't burn. Down there, I encountered the demon again. I asked it what it wanted from me, and it growled in reply that my pain would be eternal. I sat down there for a while after the pain subsided, to make sure the mist was gone.

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2012, 12:35:54 AM »
The third encounter, there was no mist. I think it's the same thing, my head pounded with pain. I was in Port again when it happened, it doesn't seem restricted to nations in the least. I was standing and looking out at the water when the pain began to pulse. A voice snarled into my ear quietly, it was Vasco. He said, "I will kill you traitor. Snitches." The pain got worse and I began to feel light-headed, my heart was pounding quite hard. It's so hard to think as the pain courses through my head, I was terrified the mist would come and surround me then and there. Or that Vasco would try something while I couldn't do anything. I tried to remain calm and not act strange, I walked out to the Quatier Marchand and tried to not stagger or hold my head too much. The pain didn't last too long, the mist never came. It couldn't have been Silivasi though, it couldn't have been. He hates the Port, and he wouldn't just tell me he was going to kill me. He'd just kill me without giving me a warning. I'm stronger with my spells than he is at his, he wouldn't give me an opportunity. He wouldn't toy with me like that, would he? I don't know, maybe I should report this to Jinx just in case.

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 07:44:34 PM »
I don't even know what I'm doing anymore. I feel so alone. I'm surrounded with people, but I am all alone. Why did I promise to say goodbye to the only friend who is always there for me? The only thing that brings me an ounce of comfort in this horrible, horrible world? I have nothing, I am nothing. What do I work towards but my own destruction? Why do I even care? Why do I cling to life, as though my continued existence matters? I could throw myself to my death, I could break into that doomly castle to rip free the bones of a much better man than myself, but to what ends? For me to die as well, and become a husk used by them? And what if he is a husk just the same? I'm hunted as it is, I know too much. They would crack my head, to spill my knowledge out so it will be taken by no one else. And mist, what of you mist? Why do you haunt me? Why do you play these games? I have nothing left, mist. I have nothing. I talk to you like you're here watching me write. Perhaps you are. What do I have left for you to take?

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2012, 11:16:55 PM »
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 12:41:23 PM by Norture »

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2012, 11:16:44 PM »

//(This isn't meant as a reply to Tredow's journal entry, I started writing it last night. It will flow into Zach's next journal entry where he will continue talking to the mist.)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 12:41:41 PM by Norture »

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2012, 02:02:51 AM »
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 12:41:55 PM by Norture »

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2012, 11:05:54 PM »
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 12:42:18 PM by Norture »

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2012, 01:51:11 AM »
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 12:42:38 PM by Norture »

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2012, 12:04:22 AM »
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 12:43:21 PM by Norture »

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2012, 12:05:16 AM »
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 12:43:34 PM by Norture »