Author Topic: Skeleton Keys and Passe-Partout: broken or incomplete?  (Read 1426 times)

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
Skeleton Keys and Passe-Partout: broken or incomplete?
« on: November 03, 2011, 08:30:07 PM »
Hi,

I'm wondering what the Skeleton Keys and Passe-Partout items are supposed to be. They cost a few times more than corresponding Thieves' Tools (+5 and +10 respectively); but before buying one I was informed by a player that these are still one-use, disposable items like Thieves' Tools.

Is this correct? Are Skeleton Keys / Passe-Partouts supposed to be one-shot items or reuseable? And if neither, why do they cost so much more than regular Thieves Tools?

Thanks!
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Kenkaku

• Undead Master
Re: Skeleton Keys and Passe-Partout: broken or incomplete?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 09:48:01 PM »
I would assume Skeleton keys cost so much more due to the item not normally having Open Lock bonuses (and thus a higher cost for having such bonuses, I believe) and the fact that keys are significantly lighter than tools. Most likely the latter, though, since the former is a PnP thing I doubt was translated into NWN.
I am but a blade, A simple tool of destruction.

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 12:21:41 PM »
I always thought it was because a builder thought it could be used like the Malarite totem in NWN2, where it gives passive bonuses so long as it's in your inventory.

KoopaFanatic

• Iä! Iä! Puckwolf fhtagn!
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 02:30:31 PM »
That might explain the Idol of Bes, too.  It's unequipable but gives a bonus to saves...

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 02:34:06 PM »
That might explain the Idol of Bes, too.  It's unequipable but gives a bonus to saves...

Yeah, pretty sure that was someone confused on how things work.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman