You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: "Exception error message blablabla"?  (Read 3103 times)

Feronius

• Dark Power
"Exception error message blablabla"?
« on: November 04, 2010, 10:53:53 AM »
Everytime I load a zone, I get around 8 error messages (seems to be a random number, but I have to click a lot more than one away) saying "Exception error message 000000013 (or somekind of number, dont have the exact) parameters <More random numbers, etc.>" This happens both on your server as the other modules (offline) I tried to play.

Does anyone have a clue what is causing the error?
I've already gotten the critical rebuild, Ravenloft haks, CEP 2.3, etc.
Also ran the king modulechecker (which comes with GOG.com) and tried patching the CEP with the standard updater (CEP updater in your NVN folder), making sure to extract the 2.3 CEP again afterwards.

Help? Where lies the problem?
Or should I just reinstall -everything- ?! (Not looking forward to doing that.. -again-)

Feronius

• Dark Power
Re: "Exception error message blablabla"?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 11:13:58 AM »
Screw this, will try to reinstall again.. /sigh

EDIT: The reinstall had no effect, the exact same error is still here..
Could it be that the files of the game (the setup files, etc. I bought it digitally) are corrupted and that redownloading (urgh..) might help? Or does anyone have a clue what the problem might be..?

I also noticed the error message has as title "No disc" (in dutch then), although I wouldn't know if that's my C:/ thing or playing disc, the latter should be impossible seeing I use a version that doesn't require a CD to play...
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 12:02:28 PM by Feronius »

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 04:08:33 PM »
Apparently it has something to do with my comp or the settings of the comp for this game, etc.

I got the version from my other comp (which works flawlessly), put it on a portable disc (which still worked flawlessly) and then tried to run that version on this comp.. which gave the same annoying errors constantly. So it has something to do with this comp reacting to the games parameters..?

Is anyone following me at all so far? Or has any clue where the problem might lie in?
(Cause I don't.. I just know it runs on one comp and doesn't on this one.)

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 04:18:18 PM »
is it windows 7? and have you tried compatibility mode, and administrator?

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 04:41:09 PM »
It's just the normal Windows XP (my other comp is Windows Vista which works perfectly.)
And I'm sure it's not the files, install, haks, patches, etc. All checked..

So it's either my comp or somekind of settings.. but hell if I know what.
(And yes, I run it as administrator so that shouldn't be the issue either.)

Deege

• New to the Mists
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 05:17:55 PM »
Hey Feronius,
Just did a quick Google search on that error message, and it looks like it has to do with the fact that you've transferred it from one computer to another via a portable disc. Having that disc in all the time should fix the problem, but that's kind of a pain. Reinstalling NWN without the disc in should work as well. Finally, resetting the drive letter assignments for removable media (i.e. changing your disc drive from D to Z, then changing it back again) should also work. Just don't change the drive letter assignments for hard drives!
Read here for how to do that: http://www.consumingexperience.com/2007/11/windows-no-disk-exception-processing.html

Hope this helps!

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 05:37:11 PM »
well, yeah.. I'll look into it... BUT..

No, I originally didn't swap any discs or so whatsoever.. it was just installed on the C drive, gave errors, reinstalled, still the same stuff. Only after that I tried the version from my other place on this comp (via portable disc) which resulted into the exact same error.
But well, maybe somehow it's at least a related issue.. going to check, thanks

And also, I never used a CD. Downloaded version (bought digitally.)

Edit:
I think I know why, exactly what it says above. Somehow my comp or software on it, whatever, causes the game to check the CD drives for the CD... even though I use no CD to run the game. So it gives an error message each time for a gazillion times..
There's no real error or issue, as far as I know, so I think I'll just make the error message vanish.. as that seems to be the easiest and best working solution (in this case) since I really doubt the changing letters is going to stop it, etc.

It's also the easiest process to reverse, even though it's mentioned as last resort. From reading it the last option seems safest to try first?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 05:47:40 PM by Feronius »

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 05:56:41 PM »
Not the perfect solution, but definitly the most doable / fitting one for this comp..

And it works! Fixed.
Thanks a load dude.
(I do hope it doesn't slow the loading screens down, but I could even live with that.. beats error messages.)

Deege

• New to the Mists
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 10:47:56 AM »
Glad to be of help!

Hope to see you in game   :)

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 12:38:14 PM »
GOG.com has still not supplied my right CD-key yet.. so hope so as well.
Currently I can only log in when the other buyers (hundreds? possibly) aren't logged in.

So yeah, tough chance I get to be around often.. until I get the mail from GOG.com, finally.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 01:25:23 PM »
You did search your NWN folder? there should be a file that has your cd key there.

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 02:05:58 PM »
Ye, but it's most definitly a standard CD-key from GOG.com (not supporting online play.)
Which another dozen (or hundreds) of people use, so that's no use.
GOG.com supplies a seperate multiplayer CD-key on request.. but so far it's been over 8 days that I requested one.

I'll check it out anyhow though! (Also got an old NVN key, but that's just the original game, no expansions)

Edit: It shows exactly the same keys as on my account page (on bioware's site), tried entering my original key there.. although I doubt that has much use? Unless it checks only that key. Guessing it doesn't though.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 02:14:45 PM by Feronius »

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2010, 02:03:53 AM »
if im correct and i often am with these things it checks your last entered key.

but i cannot be 100% sure of that
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2010, 04:07:38 PM »
Yeah, but it had no effect. So I assume it checks for the CD keys of the expansions? Not the original.

And I'm banned now for trying to log in with my GOG.com standard CD-key, wtf?
Not the CD-key banned, but my account... riiiight, nicely done Bioware? Might have to start my char over then, bah
(If I even can, might have banned my IP or whatever.. bullcrap.)

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2010, 06:56:52 PM »
no no no no you are temprorary banned for trying to login to many times.

you got banned while atempting to login correct?   if so then you got banned  it can be undone by the server.

also if it cannot be fixed you can ask the dm team to transfer your old characters to your new acount, ofcourse with validation you are you.

ps/ don't forget to bring a towel
pps/ sorry southparks on....
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2010, 11:46:54 AM »
Yeah, it was a temporary ban. But I still can't log in due to my CD-key.
Basicly as soon as I log out for 20 seconds, someone else logs in.
(The only times I managed to get on were usually the morning, not even that early though.. )

Gorasin

• Undead Master
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2010, 06:36:48 AM »
Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy coined the towel line....south park just dirty rip off artists.
Thank you Britain.
The dark side is always there, waiting for us to enter, waiting to enter us.
Until next time, try to enjoy the daylight.