You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: The Drain : Feedback  (Read 3768 times)

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
The Drain : Feedback
« on: October 25, 2010, 04:02:51 PM »
Hello,

I have noticed that the entrance way to the drain is way to difficult for new caliban characters who are level 2 when they first start out. The were-rats along with their dire rat swarms means it is death for low level caliban trying to get to the drain. As the Drain is the area for Caliban, is it possible to remove the were-rats and do something to make it easier for a level 2 to reach there.

Also is it possible for half-orcs and calibans, and other similar outcasts have the initial faction or starting spot be the drain and not the vistania camp?

I do think this would be helpful for lowbies who are outcasts and calibans.

-herkles
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 05:49:16 AM by Bastellus »

Minstrel

• Official Mascot of the
  • Dark Power
  • Cat in the Hat
Re: drain suggestions
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 05:26:03 PM »
I'm pretty sure that if you rest in the right place in the Drain, you can set it as your 'safe' spot.

So it's just a matter of finding your way there first time. Interesting challenge.

Vespertilio

• Never met a Dark Lord, not a
  • Dark Power
  • We can't stop here, this is bat country!
    • Messages from Nihil
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 11:43:14 PM »
I'm pretty sure that if you rest in the right place in the Drain, you can set it as your 'safe' spot.

So it's just a matter of finding your way there first time. Interesting challenge.

I think you might be missing the very relevant point that, for low level caliban, they frequently cannot reach the area designed for them without multiple deaths and difficulty.   I'd find that a task most daunting, if not impossible for a new player without ic help from higher level caliban (something you won't see this week).  

Removal of the were rat spawns from the slums, market sewer and lower map just before the drain, would be one way to make it challenging but not impossible for level 2 caliban or other outcast pcs of various classes to reach the area designed for them.  Because were rats would still spawn on all the other sewer maps you won't be losing that element of surprise and mayhem comes from being level 2 and running into something your weapons cannot harm.  Run awayyyyy!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 11:51:45 PM by Vespertilio »

I could just run into the room and punch you in the balls; sure, that's scary. That's entertainment. But it isn't horror...

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 11:51:40 PM »
or make it a lil easyer as temporary solution place a few caliban NPC's in the drain area to kill the spawn there.
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Vespertilio

• Dark Power
    • Messages from Nihil
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 11:55:34 PM »
or make it a lil easyer as temporary solution place a few caliban NPC's in the drain area to kill the spawn there.

They used to have caliban npcs when it was a supported faction on the lower map just before the drain.   Those caliban npcs made it rather interesting for pcs with 'normal' ocr and generated some great rp.  However, this is not just a problem during new pc week, this is something that has been brought up before for at least a year now that I can recall.  New pc week simply makes it that much more difficult is all.

I could just run into the room and punch you in the balls; sure, that's scary. That's entertainment. But it isn't horror...

puckwolf

• Dark Power
  • Internet Boomer
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 12:01:54 AM »
Might be interesting to have a spawn of caliban monsters outside of and leading to the drain area that are friendly to pcs with high ocr and hostile to the rest.

It would make it easier for outcasts to reach their haven while making it semi challenging for the rest of the pcs.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 12:42:00 AM by puckwolf »

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 07:42:50 AM »
Asking for a DM to port you?
Noignar Huillen: Ilmater Cleric.
Hedien Gine: Arrow and Bow Artist.
Dolin Schneim: Dwarven Soldier

tzaeru

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 08:22:59 AM »
Asking for a DM to port you?

And port back out and then in, find out no one's there, do it all again, rollercoaster up'n down..

..How about a pathway without enemies (or at most, normal rats..) was made to allow level 2 chars get there?

I mean seriously. Even my level 7 Drow rogue can't get in there without running sometimes, with 4-5 wererats jumping him and a horde of dire rats.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 08:56:22 AM »
when the population is up, coming and going... the rats down there are nearly non existant, its only a problem when there are few Outcasts

Minstrel

• Official Mascot of the
  • Dark Power
  • Cat in the Hat
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 11:58:27 AM »

I think you might be missing the very relevant point that, for low level caliban, they frequently cannot reach the area designed for them without multiple deaths and difficulty.   I'd find that a task most daunting, if not impossible for a new player without ic help from higher level caliban (something you won't see this week).  

Mine managed to!

It was an interesting matter of surviving the topside world until someone took me there. I seem to recall they were a blind Monk.

It's a fair point, though, some easier way might help. I just can't think of ways to make it fit ICly. I mean playing a Caliban is hard to do. Getting to the drain the first time is one of these hard things. Especially when you don't even know it exists OOC. However, it's mainly an RP challenge in needing help for it, so I personally think it's fine as it is.

That's just me, mindya.

Vespertilio

• Dark Power
    • Messages from Nihil
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2010, 12:35:24 PM »
It was an interesting matter of surviving the topside world until someone took me there. I seem to recall they were a blind Monk.

IC help is likely ideal.  Glad your pc made it to the drain, if the devs feel it is meant to be a major challenge just to find the location for these characters to meet up and form alliances/friendships (besides the MLian temple) then that is of course their vision, prerogative and call.  The drain seems to be taking off again with initiative by certain dms and players, which is fantastic to see again, and that is really what matters.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2010, 05:08:26 PM »
The biggest thing IMO to the area and its difficulty are the were-rats, would prefer just rats, though dire-rats are doable. But not the were-rats. I believe that making it survivable for low levels would make this place better IMO. particular in this low character week, it is nearly impossible to get in or out of the drain, at least in my experiences.

Stygian Messiah

• AKA Kalashnikov33
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2010, 06:10:26 PM »
Hello,

I have noticed that the entrance way to the drain is way to difficult for new caliban characters who are level 2 when they first start out. The were-rats along with their dire rat swarms means it is death for low level caliban trying to get to the drain. As the Drain is the area for Caliban, is it possible to remove the were-rats and do something to make it easier for a level 2 to reach there.

It's incredibly difficult for a low level Caliban to get to the Drain. However, it's not impossible. All it takes is some strategy and the time to execute it.

Caliban life isn't meant to be a walk in the park, and this is just another facet of it. So, while we're all hoping for an easier entrance to the Drain,  I recommend using the difficulty to develop your character. Tasks that are simple for the topsiders are a chore and a half for Caliban, whether going home to the Drain, finding a merchant to get that fancy new blade or some potions, or doing an herb run to make some quick gold. As Yuri, these experiences were taken then compared to what the normies have to "endure", and he lost a lot of respect for some topsiders that he considered friends. After all, when they want to go home they take a stroll across the road from the Temple to the Lady's Rest; Yuri has to fight tooth and nail to get home, day or night. Those are the good days. On a bad day, he gets stopped by an MPC prowling the sewers looking for a snack.

Might help to soften the blow of the game mechanics if you use the difficulty to develop the character. I'm sure this isn't what you were looking for, but it's the best I have to offer based on my experiences.
A war refugee sought the Master. He said, "You are wise and serene. Teach me to escape the horrors of this world." And the Master blinded him with fire-irons. - The Book of Cataclysm

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2010, 06:58:02 PM »
+1 to that. Stygian speaking true.

Done that drain game at level 2 with 3 different characters. Its hard, but not too hard.
Teamwork is the key. 3 level 2s wipe that place clean easily.

About the only class with any trouble past level 5 is rogue, but they can just walk by ignored
I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.

Oculus

• Dark Lord
  • Novus Ordo Seclorum
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2010, 08:52:08 PM »
+1 Stygian Messiah, there is a man who's DONE it.

Yes, it's not easy. I can attest. But even my lvl 2 wiz has done it, take it slow and steady, lure a few enemies to you at a time.

Strigoi

• Vampire Extraordinaire
  • Dark Power
  • i never drink vine...
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2010, 10:23:08 PM »
im not sure if Calibans can get a hold of Caltrops. but they are awesome for killing gobs and gobs of rats. since they usually have 1 - 5 health. a few well placed Caltrop patches, and you can run most groups of rats to thier own death. i know they can be bought at the wizard tower, which isn't a dangerous run during the daylight hours, not sure for how much.

just one of many ideas of a work around.

hugolino

• Dark Lord
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2010, 02:49:05 AM »
+1 Stygian Messiah, there is a man who's DONE it.

Yes, it's not easy. I can attest. But even my lvl 2 wiz has done it, take it slow and steady, lure a few enemies to you at a time.

Encouraging to hear. My calibans usually are about level 5 before they can confidently handle the path alone.