Author Topic: Pistols vs Crossbows  (Read 13853 times)

Sewerprince

• Undead Slayer
  • Sometimes it be like that
Re: Pistols vs Crossbows
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2011, 11:51:45 AM »
Are the pistols restricted to one hand because the game treats them as "whips"? Thats what I've heard...
Hargen-Caliban Artist Extraordinare
Pavel Leclerq-Tradesman For Hire
Costin Banicu-Garda With That Dawg In Him

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2011, 11:57:50 AM »
it makes sense for them to be exoctic as per what exotic means in dnd: not commonly found in the area, hence why asian weapons are exotic. Plus learning to fire is not that simple; not well anyways. What I would love is the ablity to use them without needing to get exotic weapon feat; but you would not be that good at using them. As that is how PnP works. if you don't have the feat: exotic, you can still use it but you won't do good at all as the guy who has the feat.

Knas

• Developers
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • Worthless phony
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2011, 01:19:09 PM »
Pistols are a use item, there is no good in dual wielding them even if it would be possible it still only allows one to be fired per round.

Besides dual wielding flint locks is just silly -_- !

Geiger

« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2011, 02:09:24 PM »
D&D rules list them as exotic. We're not going to change that.[/quote]

Alright then. However, can I have a Nickle Plated .45?

Forral

• New to the Mists
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2011, 07:48:37 AM »
Pistols are a use item, there is no good in dual wielding them even if it would be possible it still only allows one to be fired per round.
If one really wanted dual-wielding of the pistols though, couldn't the scripts be updated to check if two pistols were wielded? If it then turned out two of them were equipped, the action would run twice, simulating both guns firing? I reckon it should be a feasible work-around.

Kagetora

• Undead Master
« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2011, 09:16:23 AM »
Will the pistols stay loaded and ready to fire even if you unequip them?

Seems like it would be amusing and flavorful to have a "brace" of a half-dozen or or so loaded and ready to go, then use one line of hotkeys to operate them.  F1 puts the first in your hand, F2 fires it, F3 swaps the first for the second, F4 fires it, etc.  A final hotkey on a different page whips out your rapier and main gauche...

Remember, I said amusing, not effective!   :lol:

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2011, 09:24:38 AM »
I know of at least one character with around four or so Gearlings that he fires in quick succession in combat situations.

Nemien Callishan

• Ezrite Anchorite wannabe
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2011, 10:35:49 AM »
And yet when fired at inanimate objects we still run up into close combat to shoot them instead of standing still and doing so :(.

Chaszmyr

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2011, 11:37:09 PM »
Are the pistols restricted to one hand because the game treats them as "whips"? Thats what I've heard...

Nope. In baseitems, the EquipableSlots field is what determines what goes where. Something that can be equipped in main hand and offhand looks like 0x1C030. Main hand only would be 0x1C010, offhand only would be 0x1C020. Whips get a 10 on the end, shields get a 20 on the end, and something like a shortword gets a 30, which is 10+20. With me so far? If you set a whip to 0x1C030, it would be dual-wieldable on the spot. Boom, done. I've tested this, it works. I think the concern of dual wieldable whips is that there are some REALLY good whips in game already and dual wielding them would be crazy since they are eligible for weapon finesse. But I digress. The point of this is that the pistols ARE set to 0x1C030, its just the weirdness as 'ranged weapons' as Bluebomber already stated.

Now, the pistols aren't truly ranged weapons - they are just sticks you hold with a script use on them. They could possibly be defined as not ranged weapons, since, after all, their functionality is entirely limited to a script that runs from an on-use ability. Maybe they need to be ranged weapons to calculate their AB? I don't know.

Would it be possible in the future to list pistols under 'simple weapons'? They're supposed to be one of the most simplistic missile weapons - very much in the same manner as the crossbow in that all it takes if someone to show you to load, point, click.

Pistols rarely backfire and never destroy themselves in a horrible explosion, so I'd say Exotic represents you having the knowledge of proper maintenance, cleaning and inner workings of the pistol. If you made them not exotic, they ought to have a higher chance of failure and a chance to be destroyed and need repairs from the gunsmith unless you have Exotic.
Riccardo de Vesci - Red Vardo Traders
Taz'zyr Xorlarrin - Sorcere Graduate

Knas

• Developers
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • Worthless phony
« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2011, 02:40:12 AM »
I think they do backfire though :p

Aahz

• Dark Power
  • People don't like to be meddled with.
« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2011, 09:43:18 AM »
They do indeed. However, Gearling has a pistol available guaranteed to never backfire. The trade off is that it weighs a lot more than other pistols.
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

Elfric

• Dark Power
« Reply #61 on: September 21, 2011, 07:27:03 PM »
Which gives a -1 to AB, for some reason...

"You left the campfire back in the field. The entire grass field is on fire. Smokey the Bear is on the edge of the field, on his knees, sobbing into his hands."

Chaszmyr

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2011, 07:28:28 PM »
Yar, I've seen backfires, thus 'rarely' :D
Riccardo de Vesci - Red Vardo Traders
Taz'zyr Xorlarrin - Sorcere Graduate

Elfric

• Dark Power
« Reply #63 on: September 21, 2011, 07:29:58 PM »
Which defeats the purpose of having it, and i think all pistols are scripted to backfire when you roll a 1. Even the one which isn't suppose to, so that defeats the purpose of buying it.

"You left the campfire back in the field. The entire grass field is on fire. Smokey the Bear is on the edge of the field, on his knees, sobbing into his hands."

Kagetora

• Undead Master
« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2011, 10:47:59 PM »
Which defeats the purpose of having it, and i think all pistols are scripted to backfire when you roll a 1. Even the one which isn't suppose to, so that defeats the purpose of buying it.

So, they backfire 50% of the time?   :lol:

If one thing is going to make me RageQuit this server, its the RNG...

Nemien Callishan

• Dark Lord
« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2011, 11:53:30 PM »
They do indeed. However, Gearling has a pistol available guaranteed to never backfire. The trade off is that it weighs a lot more than other pistols.

And it sued to give you a miscelaneous -6 to hit that wasn't showing on the item properties or the character sheet when fired at inanimate objects :(. Trust me. I even fired a shot or two with gm's watching to prove it once.

Aahz

• Dark Power
  • People don't like to be meddled with.
« Reply #66 on: September 22, 2011, 12:24:55 PM »
And it sued to give you a miscelaneous -6 to hit that wasn't showing on the item properties or the character sheet when fired at inanimate objects :(. Trust me. I even fired a shot or two with gm's watching to prove it once.
Well that would explain why I had never actually hit anyone with it.  :?
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

rabidsmily

• Undead Slayer
  • Picture not related.
« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2011, 04:22:33 AM »
 :bump: Thanks to all the wonderful DMs who fixed my beloved in-game pistols!

Characters: Alavra Srune'Lett, James Finesworth, Prescott Bowley, Grisil, Toshio Ninomiya, Eshen Soldusk, Emilio Shrewtamer, Blago Ashcard, Hoogliuter

Geiger

« Reply #68 on: October 13, 2011, 10:09:00 AM »
Still some problems with the risk free pistols. They take away -4 and in some cases -6 AB, when it is only a -2.

Nemien Callishan

• Dark Lord
« Reply #69 on: October 14, 2011, 05:57:06 PM »
Still some problems with the risk free pistols. They take away -4 and in some cases -6 AB, when it is only a -2.

I know. Painful isn't it?