You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: The Journal of Koryan Thorgarov  (Read 921 times)

MAB77

The Journal of Koryan Thorgarov
« on: September 29, 2010, 12:32:56 PM »
1st entry - September 29th 765

I finally arrived in Vallaki (Barovia) about a week ago to undergo my final trainings as a warden. Aside from the inevitable tolls on Borcan soil, the travel between Levkarest and Vallaki was rather uneventful which truly is a blessing given the nightmares experienced ever since my arrival. The weather is foul almost all the time, it is a wonder how farmers can grow crops in those conditions.

On the day of my arrival, I was lucky to come across one sir Giles Radcliffe from the Mordentish Pure Hearts. He was kind enough to show me around the city and bring me to the temple. I've presented myself to Sentire Costinus as I was instructed, but the toret did not have time to receive me for a private audience yet. I do not blame him, I soon found out how strong the legions of the night were in this region and can easily understand him being so busy. There is much to do, and too few of us to do it. Still I shall strive to make a difference.

"Poisoner", it is by that name that the native Barovians call me in my back. It is alarming to see the words of our Lady in the Mists so ill received. Much will have to be done to save their souls. Still that was to be expected, long ago a patriarch of the Dilisnya family attempted the murder of the ruling Von Zarovich family. Ever since, the name of Dilisnya is reviled in Barovia and because our saint founder Yakov was a Dilisnya we are met with skepticism. Yet the Church found modest support with some of the local population and diligent efforts are being made to restore the people's trust toward the Church.

More dire now is the grasp of the legions of the night in this area. Monsters walk freely in the streets passed sundown, even the city's garda hides and bolts their doors at night. The catacombs under their Morninglord's temple are desecrated and is overun by undeads. Not 2 days ago I was savagely attacked by a werewolf and how my life only to the fortuitous presence of nearby adventurers. For a moment I feared I might have contracted the dreaded curse of lycanthropy, but Ezra be thanked several clerics declared me free of the taint.

Equally distressful was my encounter with the dark inhabitants of the Shadow Rift, the feys were conducting some nefarious operations in a cave near the town. Ultimately they managed to expulse us from their lair but before they did so we managed to reach the main chamber of the cave. There was a large chest containing 4 severed heads, I know not who those people were and had little time to find out. It was clear by that time that we had to make a quick retreat, which I did right after setting fire to the chest to cremate the remains. It bothers me that the dark fey be free to practice their demonic magic so near town but I need to become more confident in my Faith in Ezra before I can defeat them.

On a brighter note, I met a distinguished erudite from the Ste-Mère-des-Larmes cathedral, whom took upon himself to begin my training as a warden. We discussed for long times about the nature of Ezra and the beginning of the Faith. Curiously, it just dawned to me that I did not even asked his name. I will need to do so on my next session with him.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 08:31:46 PM by MAB77 »

MAB77

Re: The Journal of Koryan Thorgarov
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 01:40:04 PM »
2nd entry - October 2nd 765

I wake up to a blinding headache, too much Tsuika. It appears I indulged myself quite thoroughly in our celebration of life following our victorious return from an expedition. Fortunately I have not been sick, but I keenly remember making a fool of myself singing drinking songs in the tavern. If the Sentire hears of this I may find myself rightfully in trouble.

But let's get back to the events which culminated with the party. Two nights ago at the Lady's Rest inn right after sunset, sir Guire Warwick, another of these numerous adventurers coming from that Fey-Rune place outside the Mists, commented on the fact that fishermen from lake Zarovich were disappearing in the night, some of them having been found savagely murdered and half-devoured. There was some debate as to how best to investigate this issue but it was ultimately decided that we would likely only find the culprits at night. And thus I departed in the good company of sir Warwick, milady Chali, sir Azzio and master Marcus Rake. It is worth noting that it was the first time since my arrival that I went out on a night expedition in these lands.

And thus we began the long trek around lake Zarovich. We certainly encountered scores of the beasts that rends, accursed werewolves, which we obviously dispatched to end the threat they pose to humanity but no clue could link them to the fishermen's disappearance so we carried on. It is finally on the north-eastern shores that we met our first clue. There was huge footprints in the mud and the obvious sign of someone injured being dragged away. We followed the trail to a cave. It is then that we realized what we were up to, some kinds of blue aquatic trolls named scrags. Their fool lairs was as revolting as their appearance, heavy with the scent of moisture and decaying bodies. These monsters were fierce, striking with brutal strength but we met them in kind. Each of my companions proved their valor many times, and though they are not Ezrite, their dedication to oppose the legions of the night justified that I use Ezra's healing powers on them. It took us hours to finally clear this den of monsters. We found and cremated the remains of the fishermen, it was all we could for them but at least they could be given some decent funeral rites. The murder case was resolved.

By the time we were done sun had risen over the horizon. Fresh air was a relief but it was short lived for we come across one of the most repulsive sight I have seen. A huge willow tree producing rotten heads as fruits! I would never had thought such horrible corruption of nature possible had I not seen it with my own eyes. But there it was and clearly possessing an evil will of its own. For no sooner did we approached to burn it down, the rotting heads started wailing then an hail of needles struck us. I never felt such agonizing pain before. It was too much to bear and I soon passed out. Fortunately my companions quickly tended to my wounds and were able to save me. Poor sir Azzio was not so lucky. We fled away from that fiendish tree for now, but we will eventually return to destroy it! I so swear.

The rest of the way back was mercifully uneventful. We had Azzio raised back from the deads as soon as we reached the town then headed to Inn. Given what we had seen and done, it felt somehow proper to celebrate all that is good in life... my headache however tells me I should celebrate with moderation next time.

As an aside note. I met with the dwarven smith Rali Stein. He saw to it that I was better equipped to face the legions of the night. Of course such generosity also means I am indebted by 3000 gold pieces, but if such is the price of survival it is a very little amount to pay.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 08:31:56 PM by MAB77 »