You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Castle Ravenloft?  (Read 2265 times)

iggywhite

• New to the Mists
Castle Ravenloft?
« on: September 28, 2010, 04:10:30 PM »
Thinking about playing here, but I was wondering if one can explore Castle Ravenloft?

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
Re: Castle Ravenloft?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 04:12:40 PM »
Castle ravenloft does indeed exist In the game, as does most of the domian of Barovia. However I do warn you that it is best not to enter the castle uninvited, unless you want very negative things to happen to you  :twisted:

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 04:16:04 PM »
all entrance to the castle itself is conducted with the aid of DMs, it can lead to horrible things

iggywhite

• New to the Mists
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 04:24:19 PM »
Do I have to petition a DM to let me enter, or can I just enter of my own free will and deal with the consequences?

Inviktus

• Undead Master
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 04:46:29 PM »
A DM has to let you in and then let you out!  It's considered one of the deadliest places in the game, for that reason alone.

Telkar

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 04:57:56 PM »
A DM has to let you in and then let you out!  It's considered one of the deadliest places in the game, for that reason alone.

Don't Count on getting out :!:

GunzNrosZ

• Outlander
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 06:12:29 PM »
Let just put it this way. If you are found on the castle grounds without a direct invitation by the count then your tresspassing.
By law tresspassers are put to death.

Hell the Gatekeepers may even open the gate just to let you in, so that you will die. I speak from experience.

I wonder what happens if you are invited inot the castle but you turn the invitation down?

tzaeru

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 07:06:22 PM »
I wonder what happens if you are invited inot the castle but you turn the invitation down?

:twisted:

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 08:25:46 PM »
.....nobody turns down the counts invetation i think the same thing as tresspassing might happen or atleast a road towards it.
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 09:48:57 PM »
It's really only a DM-event area. This was intentional when I was designing it because I felt that if it was a dungeon that people could farm it would hurt the feel of the area and ruin what makes it so special.

If your character just tries to ask Strahd to be invited he'll more than likely be summarily ignored, because Strahd is a jerk :lol: Seriously, though, without a good reason he wouldn't let anyone in his home. That having been said, many people have accomplished things that have drawn Strahd's notice and invitations have been extended to them.

Many more, however, have decided to break in to confront Strahd or steal his secrets. Only those who went in a well-balanced group with a plan to follow were able to escape with their lives, however. :evillol:

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2010, 11:45:11 PM »
It's really only a DM-event area. This was intentional when I was designing it because I felt that if it was a dungeon that people could farm it would hurt the feel of the area and ruin what makes it so special.

If your character just tries to ask Strahd to be invited he'll more than likely be summarily ignored, because Strahd is a jerk :lol: Seriously, though, without a good reason he wouldn't let anyone in his home. That having been said, many people have accomplished things that have drawn Strahd's notice and invitations have been extended to them.

Many more, however, have decided to break in to confront Strahd or steal his secrets. Only those who went in a well-balanced group with a plan to follow were able to escape with their lives, however. :evillol:

with such groups he means 9 out of 10 came out alive 5 of them are still mentaly stable the other 4 have broken down.
that castle has some serious side effects when visited or broken into.
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

vlowe72

• Undead Master
  • If you bore me, I shall take my revenge.
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 09:39:26 AM »
If it's anything like RA1, the place is a deathtrap, specifically designed to kill intruders in the most efficient method possible.  Remember that Strahd is a genius level tactician with many years of experience.  It makes Undermountain look like Disneyland.

And now ladies and gentlemen comes the time where I relieve you of the burden of your failed and useless lives.  But if you gotta go, go with a smile!

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
  • Fata volentem ducunt, nolentem trahunt
    • Facebook page
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2010, 10:08:52 AM »
Fun and nostalgic note. I remember that in the Italian server we had the Ebony Gargoyles (which are mocked on a regular basis), but every class had a specifc task to accomplish in order to join the faction. That of rogue-classes was entering Castle Ravenloft and going out alive. It was usually needed a DM for one player for like 3 hours time. And "our" castle was even more simple than this :)

P.s.: And ebony gargoyles had not many active rogues ever...
http://www.facebook.com/CiaranII
Pokemon Go! 5688 6574 4676