Author Topic: Severe lag and low Frame Rate Episodes  (Read 1918 times)

LawfulJoe

• "Evil is a thing of perception, it depends on which end of the sword you're on"
  • Dark Power
  • aka AwfulJoe
    • Joe Kellerman - Graphic Artist
Severe lag and low Frame Rate Episodes
« on: September 23, 2010, 10:31:26 AM »
Now it's not all the time, but I have noticed that once in awhile and repeatedly, I have episodes of low Frame rate and Lag. it is severe enough to be a killer in a combat situation, and annoying in RP for even as I type the words are delayed in as they appear in the text box while I type.

I have a Quad Core, 2.5 mega hertz, 8gb Ram, 1 GB Video Card running Windows Vista Ultimate. It is a problem that is recent (within the past couple of months), I have plenty of Hard drive space. It's like something puts a HUGE strain on my processor or internet connection and then within about a minute, it's fine, running smoothly for about 10 minutes or so and then it hits me again. I thought it was linked to the skybox time changes, but I have adjusted my Video settings, even turned off the Skyboxes, and it still happens.

Any Ideas?

Virus?

Aldabreck Stone Helm

• Undead Slayer
Re: Severe lag and low Frame Rate Episodes
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 11:59:55 AM »
My computer was having trouble similar to that with certain things, All the information I found on this happening was, that is is an overheating problem. I have not been able to verify if that is the case or not for mine. But I spent a hole day looking through forums and boardsall the answers I found with the  same issues like ours was do to overheating.

LawfulJoe

• "Evil is a thing of perception, it depends on which end of the sword you're on"
  • Dark Power
  • aka AwfulJoe
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 04:46:54 PM »
I found out the fan on my video card is seized up, I got it patched for now, but at leastit is still under warantee. So overheating is the issue.

EberronBruce

• Dark Power
  • Legos
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 06:56:54 AM »
I am having same type of lag problems. I was in a dungeon with lots of bats. I couldnt even move. Its not a heat issue with me. It is like my computer is struggling trying to draw all those characters.

I tried to turn off all my graphic settings but it didnt solve the problem. If I dont have some many creatures on screen everything moves fine.

I have a i5 CPU and M 430  graphics card.

My computer is a Samsung laptop. I am running windows 7.

Can anyone help me figure this out because I am useless in combat and it is real annoying.

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
  • Shadow calls... shadow whispers...
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 07:56:16 AM »
I get it always when a horse appears on the screen or a caliban (the npc ones) dies in my screen
Has been described as a sometimey player

LawfulJoe

• Dark Power
  • aka AwfulJoe
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 09:34:24 AM »
I found out that mine was due to the fan on my Video Card had frozen up, so my card was overheating. Now that this is... temporarily fixed, my problems have stopped.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 03:21:54 PM »
I've always gotten that with lots of bats in NWN, no matter what my computer or video card was.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

EberronBruce

• Dark Power
  • Legos
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 07:14:57 AM »
There has to be a solution. Not everyone has these lag issues. Its a killer in combat. So if there is a developer or someone like that reading this, please let us know how we can solve this problem.

LawfulJoe

• Dark Power
  • aka AwfulJoe
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 10:10:38 AM »
My lag cleared up when I got my Video card cooled down, Though it was a little choppy last nigth at time, like a DM was doing something custom somewhere.