You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Les Républicains Gazette  (Read 2940 times)

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
Les Républicains Gazette
« on: September 21, 2010, 06:20:41 PM »
[a paper is distributed throughout Port-a-Lucine]

The rising crime epidemic
By Edmond Montte

As many people of our fair city are aware there is a growing epidemic of crime sweeping our streets.  There have been murders, robberies, vandalism, burglaries and many other criminal activities that sweep the poor sections of the city. For some time though, Criminal activity was regulated only to the Poor section of the city, Quatiar Ouvier and Quatiar Marchand.

However in recent time, it seems that the crime has been spreading. The heist at the Cathedral of Saint Mere des Larmes, not to mention the brutal mutilation of a poor young woman in the Governor’s hotel, proves that crime is spreading further into the beloved noble districts of the city.  What is worse is that the criminals responsible in both acts have yet to be caught. There is an expectation that crime will continue to rise unless something is done.

Exploring the Quatiar Marchand and Quatiar Ouvier, I noticed several things that allow crime to grow. One is the lack of a night shift in both sections of the city. A night shift would allow for crime to be kept off the streets and for more trade to occur in the Quaitar Marchand. What is worse is Quatiar ouiver, they lack even a single patrol of Gendarmes or even an office to report crimes to, despite the fact that the Gendarme’s headquarters is right near Quatiar Ouiver.  How can the poor understand and respect the law if there is no law in their area.

I had a conversation with one young Madam recently who had several thoughts to add about why there is a growing crime epidemic.

“Education should come before punishment otherwise the latter is futile… I seriously doubt that a child would commit murder unless forced by another. Not through choice, I am sure…given the choice I feel a child would want to play and learn. When the children are in schooling and are fed, there will be less incentives for them to join these gangs”

This young Madam may be on to something, it might be a good idea to have a school for boys so that they can learn the benefits of following the law and that way they would not seek to break it. With some proper education, and perhaps public punishments, there might be a lessening of crime.

I do hope that the gendarme do something to stop this crime epidemic before it is too late.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 06:37:12 PM by herkles »

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
Re: Les Républicains Gazette
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 06:53:57 PM »
The ball of love!

The other day was Le Masque de Coeur, the annual ball of white day. A day which is to celebrate love and joy, and for some time this was true. The ball itself was very well, the various guests who included some people such as the Rochmand family, the famous artist Monsieur Lizotte, Monsieur Gearling, maker of the famous guns, and quite a few others famous people that readers would be familiar with; even the minster of art and culture, Jean-Pierre Theroux himself was here to enjoy the event.

The artists Lizotte, stated the following when one of the other attendees asked about his artwork was ‘to show provide others with the emotions of disgust and horror’. Art while it is to provide to all senses is not to show disgust in others.  Though I am sure everyone has their opinion on artwork.

The Rochmand family, seemed to have been engaged in an argument, supposedly about the younger daughter seeking the inheritance, or perhaps it was an off comment from one of the female members. However it did seem to be a generational dispute, there are even rumors that two of the male members almost challenged each other to a duel.

Monsieur Gearling, seemed to have found a dance partner, but weather it was it is due to the spirit of White Day or the Spirit of the Drink, he called another young little lady by the name of Isolina, his love. It is hard to tell right now if they were made for each other, as it was either the spirit of the Bottle or the Spirit of White day that will decide if they are true lovers.

A man by the name of Mihas, a monsieur who came all the way from the uncivilized lands of Barovia to see civilization, came to the ball. He even said he was a member of the local guard in Barovia.  However it seems that the guards of Barovia are not into the spirit of White day, for he denied a young lady the chance to dance with her, stating it was against his duty as a guard in Barovia.

The ball itself was an enjoyable time. The only thing that could have made it better in the eyes of one guest was ‘it would be good for there to be Tea served at these occasions’. However not counting the tea, Le Masque de Coeur was an enjoyable time. 

Sorrow amidst love!

However not everything was roses and flowers, for while the ball was enjoyable, what followed is horrifying to even write about it! Following the Ball, there was a scream of help and the on the first floor of the Governor’s hotel was a sight of true horror, it was if it came out of one of de Penible’s stories. Blood was splattered upon the floor and the wall, and the beautiful and famous opera singer Rosanna La Croix was brutally assaulted! Non, assaulted is not the word for it, she was mutilated.

I wish that the words I write are false, but some sick psychopath assaulted this poor innocent woman.  Her beautiful sliced up, her left hand missing; her body hacked at and slashed at. There was blood over her body, upon the floors and upon the walls.  If not for the care of some of those who were there including Madam Chevalier and Doctor Sedgwick, it is likely that she may have passed onward at this point. She is currently being cared for, but one can not help but wonder who would of done such a thing. The Mutilation of a ladies face is just sicking to describe.

This psychopath must be found and stopped at once, the mutilation of young women such as Rosanna La Croix, should not be allowed to go unpunished. Those who do have information about such a brutal incident are encouraged to speak with the gendarmes, hopefully with enough information that they will do something and stop this psychopath before he strikes again. I can not believe that there would be someone to mutilate a woman such as her on White Day of all days. White day is a day for love and joy but this just brings horror to myself thinking about what happened to this woman. I hope that this sick person will be found right very soon.

My heart goes out to Rosanna La Croix, and I do dearly hope that the famous opera singer will make a recovery.

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
  • Fata volentem ducunt, nolentem trahunt
    • Facebook page
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 06:58:04 AM »
[Sybil Rochmand tears a copy of the newspaper apart. "How can he call me "daughter" of that old hag? I had just the misluck to marry her cadet son!", she has been heard cursing around her villa by well informed people]
http://www.facebook.com/CiaranII
Pokemon Go! 5688 6574 4676

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 11:45:02 AM »

Interview with a Heretic

Recently I got to sit down with the man known as Lilas Wurtbeich, the famous leader of the Fifth Revelation, and the notorious heretic. I was able to get an interview with this man and what was stated might be shocking to some readers, but it should be told.

Lilas Wurtbiech himself

Lilas Wurtbeich himself is a curious man; he seems to be a physician of great skill.  However something transpired along his road for him to become the religious leader that he is today. He claims that he was born in dreaded and vile Falkovinia yet he was raised in the slums of Port-a-Lucine. He was educated in the Cathedral of Saint Mere des Larmes, supposedly under the blessed guidance of Bastian Joan Seceusse  He did later go on to being a physician at the renowned University.

He claims to be the first toret of her fifth revelation, and he only became the Bastian due to his great Humility and Faith. It must also require a lot of humility and Faith to build a statue of yourself; Though that might have something to do with him being a Falkovinian. 

He has traveled many lands including to far distant Barovia.  It was in Barovia where he found “ Brother Aleyi had been graced by Ezra, when he received revelations. “ It seems that Lilas believes Aleyi to be some sort of prophet for his movement. However after encountering the prophet, “Then came Marle Winterlass, and my journey to Zeklos Keep, a dark time, let me tell you.”

“It is when staying at the Von Zeklos Keep that I really realized the wrath of the Legions in Barovia. A mission there is more than critical,” The Von Zeklos are a family of landed gentry, however unlike the nobles of fair Dementlieu, the Von Zeklos are said to have been corruptive and a taint lingered over them.  Indeed he did state that “when this corruption, I became aware of, I left the Von Zeklos Keep.”

This might be in reference to the rumors horrible crimes that Marle Winterlass committed there. These ghastly rumors indeed might have some truth to them for Lilas stated “Although, I cannot say the abherrations of Von Zeklos Keep are untrue”

The Fifth Revelation

The fifth revelation claims to be the final sect of Ezra. Let’s start with their temple. Their temple seems to be a poor quality of a building compared to the Cathedral of Les Mere de Larmes.  While I respect the attempt of any group to try and keep the poor away from crime, they are to hidden to provide much refuge to the poor currently. Though that is supposedly due to the fact it is rumored that some in the Church, the inquisition perhaps, wish to silence him. However I do believe that hiding might be a determent to his religious movement.

Then there was their shrine room, which included a portrait of all the founding bastions of the different Ezrite Sects, a portrait of Aleyi, who is a prophet to them, and a statue of Lilas Wurtbeich himself.

The two things that were constant throughout the interview was the concept of the ‘Legion of the Night’ and the ‘time of unparalleled darkness’ which are both related concepts. The ‘legions’ are supposed criminals and brigands and other psychopathic individuals who bring misery to others.  The ‘time of unparalleled darkness’ is to put it simply the end of the world.

He also said this to me, “You asked me what I thought of Barovia, I tell you this; It will be a pivotal point to the wrath that's to come, when Judgment is brought upon us all.”

Upon Marle Winterlass

It is rumored that Marle is a saint according to the Fifth Revelation; this however is one rumor that is not true for Lilas stated “She is no saint”.  And indeed she is not, for a saint is a person who is filled with goodness, piety and virtue.  Marle is however a “Criminal and convicted thief”. No person can be both a Saint and a Criminal. She is also stated to have been “consorting with the Legions of the Night”.

Marle is also a corrupted individual, not to mention a criminal. She was also said to be “Twisting the words in the holy scriptures of the Fifth revelation to make them her own, in her own madness” and it is likely that she was twisting the other four revelations for the same purpose. 

In fact she was said to have been “corrupted by the taint of the Von Zeklos Keep.” though it might be possible that she indulged in the taint and corruption and committed acts that would shock and revolt us at this keep.   Nevertheless she is considered to be a corrupt and vile individual, not to mention a heinous criminal.

“There is a conspiracy against my people” that is led by Marle. It seems that Marle wants to take over the fifth revelation. Marle is one of the ‘rotten apples’ that Lilas claims infect every organization.  It does make one wonder though, what sort of damned, sinners are these criminals that claim Marle is a ‘saint’ when no one else, not even the 5th revelation claim state that she is a saint.

Views of the Church as a whole

Now I come to how he views the Church of Ezra as a whole. This is probably some of the most important information I was able to hear. 

He stated “What I think of them, is that often they are misguided. Ask any heretic to produce her shield and they will be unable to,  Anchorites of her faith manifest her sainted shield, it is the same shield that protects us from the Legion of the Night, Heretics do not. “ However that might be true for most Heresies. I have read upon one or two that did be able to produce the shield but were still found out to be untrue.   There is a procedure that must be done first before he can be approved to be an official sect. After all “What decides this, is the Church. Her church is one to decide.  “

When asked why that has not been done, Lilas stated it was due to “Politics” and that “truth isn't welcomed by the Church”.   He claims that the “church wishes me dead, for what I represent” and that “some wish I was blind and my tongue cut off.”

What did he claim to represent? “Change, a voice of change” that is what he claimed to represent. Though I cannot but help to wonder if this is a change that is good or change that is not so good, we can probably never know.

He also stated that he wishes to see the church “United. Away from the political manipulations some toy with in Home Faith.” That it is the fifth revelation’s fate to “see the Fifth revelation bring unity to her church… I have no doubts that whatever plan Ezra had for her fifth revelation, that it serves a greater purpose. This purpose, in my view, surely must be the uniting of her church.”

What does this mean, well it is hard to fully state. Some might gossip that he wishes to overthrow the Church and become the Preasidus himself, but I do not believe that particular rumor holds much truth for he does respect the other bastions of the church; as he stated “They all have their place, each fulfilling their role in the Grand Scheme that was laid by Ezra herself”.  It is possible that he wishes to bring a reformation and change to the church so that it may be more ‘united’ and that the ‘corruptive elements’ of the church as he claims exists in it, can be purged.  As he stated “ if this is what it takes, to cleanse her church, then I will.”

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 03:37:26 PM »
The start of the New Year

The rose of winter ball is over and the New Year begins. The ball was a delightful event. There were many that decided to come and witness the ball that was both the last ball for the previous year and the first for the year! This was a time of joy and merriment.

The doctor Poisson from the church of Ezra was one of the many attendants, though he was not the only person from the Church of Ezra who decided to take the time to mingle and come to the ball instead of spending the time locked away in the Cathedral Studying dusty old books, as the Mademoiselle Keayna and Monsieur Sinovia were also in attendance. The Merchant known as Jinx wore a very stylized red dress.

I also must give thanks to the two talented musicians that delighted us with their music while we danced. One thing that I did over hear was some talk of perhaps Mademoiselle Isolina hosting an event for one of her people, the little people. Some might remember Isolina as being the same one, who danced with the famous gun-maker Monsieur Gearling. Sadly he did not make a show.

Following the ball to start the New Year, Fireworks were shot off, The various colors and shapes of the fireworks filling those who have came from distant lands and have never seen the beautiful sights of fireworks being shot off into the night sky with wonder. As they are every year, they were the perfect way to end one year and start the next.

The rose of winter is ever beautiful.

New Artist in town
Recently, I had the pleasure of meeting a talented artist by the name of Venetia La Belle-Feé. She comes from the nation of Borca and her artwork is a stunning example of Borcean Painting.  The nature of her artwork seems to be on people, though she has done other painting themes, including nature and the painting of buildings.  Her portraits are as one remarked, Exquisitely done.

She is currently staying in our fair city of Port-à-Lucine, so for those who are seeking a commission or perhaps are looking for a portrait, should contact her. Though as of yet, she has not done a public showing, it is only a matter of time till this rising new Artist will have a public showing of her artwork.

*Also in this issue of the paper, one also is able to see an advertisement for the Red Vardo Trader company*

« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 03:39:46 PM by herkles »

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 08:30:05 PM »
The Art Gallery and the show

Today I had the pleasure of attending the art gallery and show that was hosted by Venetia la belle-fee at the theater de la cathedral. Her art I would rank as some of her best that she has drawn so far. Her theme for this art gallery was the mysterious cards of the mysterious vistina, the Tarroka. The art was auctioned off and they did sell quite well, though I can state that no one who purchased her artwork would be disappointed.

However to add excitement to the auction a little play was staged with some very convincing actors. A vampire hunt was staged in the theater; the actor’s talent was quite good. It did add a bit of spice and excitement to the Art auction

Some words with Madam Armont Jalabert

I had the pleasure as well as getting to speak with the wife of the new theater manager of the Theater de la Cathedral.  She is quite a splendid woman to meet. She did inform me that she came here when she was younger to study in the arts. This might be one of the reasons why she now is a theater manager along with her husband.  She did state as well that she had the pleasure to meet Madam Bortsi herself several times.  She also stated what the next event at the theater would be, and that is an illusion show put on by quite a talented stage magician.

Writing contest

Speaking of Illusions, Venetia La belle-fee along with myself, Edmond Montte, shall be working together to host a writing competition. The theme is: illusions, mysteries and things that are more than they seem.  There will be several prizes, the main one being that the top poets and novelists shall have their book immortalized in paper as well as some monetary award.  Please send all entries to either of us. This contest lasts till the first Poet’s Night of this season, which is also hosted by Mademoiselle Belle-fee.

//OCC: the writing contest lasts till friday the 4th of feburary. either PM me or brightlights(venetia) about the contest.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 01:31:47 PM »
Les Républicains Gazette is now hiring!

Les Républicains Gazette is now hiring! To those who intrested in working for one of the finest newspapers in Port-à-Lucine, come and seek out Edmond Montte. Those who are interested must understand the elegant language of High Mordentish, have a clean history with no criminality and be a resident of Port-à-Lucine. Those who are interested in working for Les Républicains Gazette should thus contact Edmond Montte regarding employment.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 06:57:56 PM »
Les Républicains Gazette is now hiring!

Les Républicains Gazette is now hiring! To those who intrested in working for one of the finest newspapers in Port-à-Lucine, come and seek out Edmond Montte. Those who are interested must understand the elegant language of High Mordentish or willing to learn, have a clean history with no criminality and be a resident of Port-à-Lucine or willing to become one. Those who are interested in working for Les Républicains Gazette should thus contact Edmond Montte regarding employment.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 12:31:25 AM by herkles »

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 09:56:51 AM »

Les republic Gazette: the ball of return

The masquerade ball:
The day of lovely entertainment, gossip and dancing is over. The Masquerade Ball hosted by Monsieur Nightlyre was quite the success a number of visitors and nobles came for the ball.  Some came from far away lands including barovia and beyond, others were locals and residents of the port. Among those there were

•   Arthur Sedgwick and Alanik Ray
•   the Jalabert Sisters
•   Lord henri de montagne
•       Kaeyna Mazrak

There were several singers and musicians that performed at the ball. One even came from provincial Barovia, yet despite coming from such a backwater land; her music was quite good as was madam Mazack's performance. Yes the meitsinger was able to do a performance for the audience. The ball ended with a performance by Monsieur Nightlyre himself. While there were a few disrupitions with unruly guests and vagobonds  they were taken care of swiftly and with ease by the gendarmie and security guards.  All in All it was quite a performance.

Upcoming events:

There are a number of events that are upcoming that readers may be interested in learning about.

Charity auction:
Coming soon is a charity auction sponsored by the Church of Ezra. This Charity is being hosted by the noble lady Celine LaFleur and it is dedicated to the poor of the city. The auction will have a number of artistic works; key among them are works by the artist Stranga and Nightlyre. It will be this Sunday at the theater that is outside by the waterfront. This is to assist to help the poor of the city. Donations are of course welcome.

The plays of Alanik ray and La Nosfratue
Two upcoming plays, one by monsieur Nightlyre and one by Monsieur Lebearth. One a mystery regarding a famous case, the other a symphony of horror and tragedy about the famous monster 'the Nosferatu'. More information shall be revealed in later issues as it gets closer to opening day for these two plays. Donations to help sponsor the arts of the city are indeed welcome.

New detective in town
A detective by the name of Madam Teresa Rigelia has arrived in town. She has reasonable rates and is willing to help locate missing items, people and other lost objects. Contact Teresa Riegler at the Governor's Hotel if you require any investigative needs.

//ooc: the charity will be this Sunday at 4 PM EST.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2011, 09:29:36 AM »
Cover article "The trial of the Destroyer!"

The trial of the destroyer, Alexander Silvanus, is over. His reign of terror is gone, and no more innocent lives will be taken by his blade and foul magic. The trial was preceded over by the honorable Judge Jacquaud Crasson. While some claim that the judge is corrupt, I am here to point to his actions at this trial show his dedication to law, order, and justness and the lives of the people in our fair city. His actions brought justice to a vile murder and his gang of associates. The judge's just actions brought an end to this sick murder.

He was allowed a lawyer, a man by the name of Ralph Laforgue, who should have gotten more sleep before the trial. The government and those who suffered was defended by monsieur Antoine Leveresque.

The trial went on for hours; there were several people there who testified against him and his gang. Monsieur Nightlyre told of his attacks, Madames Sofyia and a man by the name of 'black petier' told of how he set fire to buildings in the Quartier Ourvier. Madame Riegler told of how his companions used foul magic in their criminal acts. I myself presented several pieces of evidence found upon his assistant Naomi's person, which showed she was a necromancer and a murder!

Even Raven, one of his own members, confessed to slaughtering innocent students at the university under orders of Alexander! Aside from his lawyer, there was only one person who tried to defend this criminal, a man by the name of Magnus.

In the end, there was evidence a plenty to convict Alexander Silvanus. He after all was the leader of the family, his statements including how he visited Falkovnia for a 'honeymoon' showing insights into his character. He was sentenced to death by guillotine for his vile actions as he is leader of the 'family' and all the vile actions he committed.

Then he showed his vile nature when he started to cast magic at the judge himself to set the place a blaze.  the fire was taken care of quickly, though the judge himself was burned by the actions, and He is recovering thankfully though.

Alexander Silvanus and Naomi were guillotined in front of the Govermental palace. There vile actions ending with their deaths. His assistant tatiyana and Raven are to serve their time and then they are exiled never to return and cause suffering to innocent lives in Dementlieu.

Article "The auction for the poor"

Following the trial of the Destroyer, there was a bit of good will done for the poor and those who have suffered from the destroyer. Madam LaFleur, showing the goodness of her character decided to work with the artists Madam Stranga et Monsieur Nightlyre to create an auction for the poor.

These two artists were quite inspired by this cause for some of the work they produced here is one of their bests they have done yet. These works of art are truly magnificent, works of art inspired by the goodness in their own hearts for this cause.

The paintings made by monsieur Nightlyre.
•   Lady in Violet-1500 Kaeyna
•   Plea of the Sainted Mother-2500 Krow
•   Emperor Leon, the founder of Dementlieu-3000 Celine LaFleur
•   The Corruptor-1800 Delardia Felatha

The paintings made by madam Stanga

•   Dreams of Freedom-15000 an individual who did not wish to give his name
•   Awaiting Stroms-20,000, by an individual who did not wish to give his name.
•   Cursed Old Night- 10,500 Henri de Montagne

Also there were several people who decided to donate money without buying art. I myself donated 2,000 solars, a painter by the name of rick donated 1,000, monsieur Nightlyre donated 10,000, and a madam colt gave 250. In addition Madam Jinx bought two of alanik ray's case books, including one signed by him for 10,000 solars.

All in all this was a very good auction for we were able to earn about 70,000 solars for the poor. This will go a long way in helping the poor.  This shows the benevolence of our citizens, for we do have people have good in their hearts who are willing to donate to help the poor and the destitute of our city.

Article "interview with Nightlyre"

I recently got the opportunity to sit down with Monsieur Absalom Nightlyre, the guy in charge of planning events for the theatere de la cathedral. The topic that people likely wish to read about is his upcoming play "the golden Panther" one of the stories about the Great detective. In his own words he described the play as being about "The theft of an artifact crafted by Valachani priests of their local deity, Yutow the Peacebringer; It was in the Musee Guignol before being stolen by a group of criminals."

why this play was chosen is for two reasons, this is going to be an exciting play of learning who Alanik ray was before he became the great detective. Second this was one of his first cases he performed in the city. It should be mentioned that it did take some time to convince the great detective but he was able to come around to the idea. His assistant has been supportive of the idea; Nightlyre stated that Sedgwick was "absolutely ecstatic over the idea."

This very well might be the show you might not want to miss. This play shall be shown at the Theatere de la Cathedral in the upcoming weeks. Also Monsieur Nightlyre did wish to let others to "Support monsieur LeBarthe and his upcoming ovuere, "The Nosferatu", due to play when the Grand Opera National re-opens.". If people are wondering if there will be more plays on the cases of Alanik Ray, will monsieur Nightlyre will just 'have to give the people what they want'.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 01:39:10 AM »
Les Républicains Gazette: music and play

Article "THE MUSIC"
The musical concert hosted by myself last week was a success save the interruption by a drunk.  First my brother, Mathieu, played some very well tunes upon his violin. This was his debut and it went especially well. This of course will not be the last time you hear his music if you did not get the chance to this time.

Followed him was Finn, a drunk who decided it was a grand idea to speak in drunken rhyme and insult the city at the same time. Thankfully he left after singing his piece and did not disrupt the event after that.

The next two musicians were much better. The first was a singer from Barovia by the name of Serafim. The second was Monsieur Nightlyre himself. The Barovian girl had a good bit of talent considering what land she came from. Though monsieur Nightlyre had the most intriguing performance. Singing a hymn to Ezra as well as playing the piano.

All in all it was a good show and one that marked the debut of my brother, into the musical society. Hopefully there shall be more concerts for the musically talented to come in the future.

Article "THE PLAY"
The other day, there was a play held that was eagerly anticipated by many. The case of the golden panther, one of monsieur Ray's cases he dealt with. This was a highly Intriuging play. It was one that did not fail to disappoint, even despite some of its faults.

The actors and actresses did a well enough job themselves. Though one could tell that Sylas, an elf playing monsieur Ray, was not an actor stammering every now and then. Of course he could have been trying to copy monsieur ray, but I do not think that Monsieur ray would stammer like that.

The most intriguing part was how some of the actresses and actors did some scenes off stage with the audience. While not traditional, I must applauded them for it as it helped engage people in the play even more. Mixing reality and fantasy to help create more immersion, treis bien.

The ending however was a shock; it seemed that the criminal Beatrix von Mesmar could not withstand a chance to see herself played on stage. However Alanik Ray also wanted to see his performance as well for he was there, as was Arthur Sedgwick! Thankfully thanks to the assistance of the gendarme, including an inspector, and monsieur ray. She was caught for her crimes!

All in all, I will give the play 4 stars out of 5. It was worth seeing, in addition to that it was free thanks to donations by the Montte et LaFleur families et the Red Vardo traders!

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 02:11:18 PM »
Interview with Henri de Montagne

Recently I got the opportunity to sit down with Henri Montagne, the head of the Montagne family. For those who are not aware, they are an old family, proud of their heritage. He claims that throughout their history they have always been Winners.  They are supporters of traditional values and put a lot of stock in tradition.

Henri Montagne himself has done quite a bit for the city. He has sponsored numerous charities to the poor of the city. He has even donated money for housing for the poor. He believes the conditions of the poor are horrible and that it is a blemish upon our great city. Their conditions do a great disservice to our city. That is why he is quite the philanthropist and why he sponsors so many charities.

Speaking of charities, he did speak to me that he is willing to support Les Chats Noir. They are an artistic society that has sponsored a number of charities. And more money to help the poor is always good. Rumor has it that Henri's son is taken with the ladies of Les chats Noir.

There was one project that did not go through that he mentioned to me.  That was a project for the arts, to help sponsor art and entertainment. He was going to buy the Theatere de la cathedral, and use it to sponsor artist. He even said that the poor of our city would benefit from this project. In two ways. One, the theatere would be free for the poor. Second the poor themselves could contribute to the arts and entertainment. This project was to showcase traditional and classical art and entertainment.

However he did not get the opportunity to buy the place, so he could not implement this project. While Absalom has brought and created a good number of art pieces. Henri however had a few derisive comments about Absalom; most particularly he does not like how the theatere has not been showcasing traditional art. He finds the art and entertainment.

Of course he is also seeking to become a member of the council brilliance. He is running for that prestigious, noble and honorable position as a member of the Council of Brilliance.  Thus I asked him what he plans to do. As befits a man who is dedicated to tradition; he wishes to make it more important in society, bring it back so to say. He finds it quite strange to see ladies not wearing dresses and wishes to see that fashion style to go out of style. In addition he would seek to make it so that the foreign ideas such as wearing metal armor in public would be gone, perhaps even illegal to wear them. I do not know if I would go that far, but I do support it if people would not wear such antiques in public places.

So this ends my interview with Henri de Montagne. A man from an ancient, proud noble house in the city. He claimed he supports the virtues of respect, honor, and nobility. Those are virtues I do support. I would support and even vote for a man truly does have those virtues within him or her.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2011, 12:51:37 AM »
White Day Play

Monsieur Nightlyre put on a play recently in honor of the lovely day of White Day. The day when ladies give gifts to their loved one. It is a day of joy, love, passion.  It is a day to spend times with the one you love and dance a lovely waltz.

Monsieur's Nightlyre play, was a decent play. However I am unsure if one could call it a white day play. The play told of a couple in love, starting with a lovely waltz. This was a silent play at least by the actor and actress. Dancing a waltz of joy and love like one would see in the ballrooms on this lovely night.

However after the waltz, the story took a sharp left turn and the mood changed. It went from a waltz to quite a risque tango, that would not be out of place in a 'gentleman's club'. This is when it was revealed that the man was a vampire, a creature of the night, a drinker of blood! This is when the music started to change to a more tragic, and solemn tone. For the girl was bitten and 'drained' as they danced.  They would return for a waltz but it was a sadder waltz compared to the first one. It ended with the girl 'killing' her vampire lover.

This is also probably the first time I seen Monsieur Finn, normally a drunk, actually perform anything worthwhile. He was able to keep in step with the music. I have to be glad that it was a silent play, to hear him speak might have ruined it, but all the same, this was probably Finn's better works, perhaps he will keep this quality up for future plays. 

The girl was played by Madam Serafirm, a barovian girl. She also was able to keep up with the music, for the whole thing was well choreographed.  She played her well exceptionally well, and should be congratulated for it.

Now, the music was composed by monsieur Nightlyre, which did complement the story quite well.  He was able to play both the joyous and the solemn quite well. As he directed it as well, I must say he did do a good job for it.  Perhaps this style of silent plays by the actors, will be something he does more often, only time can tell.

However with that being said, I need to question if this was the best play to choose for White Day. A supernatural play could work, if the main theme was love, joy and passion between them. However this was not that type of play. He should have saved this play for another day; and used it then. Instead he should have performed a play about love and joy, not a vampire play.

So was it worth seeing? Yes, but not if you want to see a play that one would expect on White Day. However, if that does not bother you, it was a decent play worth seeing.

Fencing tournament!
In the next week, there will be a fencing tournament held by the lovely ladies of Les Chats Noir, in celebration of dementliuese culture. Those who wish to compete should speak with one of them about it. This will be a day to show case your skill with either the rapier or the pistol, for their shall be two groups, one for the pistol and one for the rapier.

I am sure that those interested in dueling and the art of fencing, shall bring and show many different styles at this tournament. Though you will have to wait and see to see who will win this competition. In addition the poetry contest winners from their poetry contest that they held, shall be announced then.  All in all this day looks to be something you want to keep your calendars free for.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2011, 12:32:49 PM »
The pen and the sword

the sword
Recently the tournament of arms has came and passed. It was a day dedicated the founding of our honorable and noble Council of Brilliance.  It was held just outside the city and overlooking the sea. As stated it was supported by Henri de Montagne and his family, who had workers assist in the construction of the area for the event.  Many came, including those from Barovia and other foreign lands to watch and compete in the tournament. The fencing tournament was divided up into two groups, junior and master, and their was a single division marksmanship contest with the pistol.

The junior tournament was a short one between three opponents, Mademoiselle swift, Monsieur guillaume and monsieur florin. Monsieur Guillaume won, owing to his combat strategy that one would not find out of place in a battle field.

The following division was the master division, which had a number of people competing in it, including two vardo, monsieur Nightlyre, a few people from Barovia and others. I, Edmond Montte, also fought in this competition. The fighting was fierce; the first to drop was monsieur Nightlyre, but not the last.  In the end it came down to myself and Senies of the Vardo.  This match was one by the massive Caliban, who received the golden dueling rapier, I received the golden dueling dagger for I made I came in second.

The last competition of the night was the pistol competition. There were three competitor, again myself, my brother Mathieu, and madam Chevalier who is expecting a baby. This was an interesting competition and one that in the end I won. However credit must be given to madam Chevalier who came in second, in-spite of being pregnant.

The Pen
However fighting was not all that was done this night. It was also a time for winners of the poetry competitors of Les Chats Noir to read some of their submissions.  There were a number of submissions that were read, and there will be a book comprised of some of them. Here are some that you might find in it.

The day is as beautiful as the night is long, a barovian lovesong, by Ofelia Vesnic. This was the winning poem, of the contest, just to show that talent does reside in Barovia after all.

The day is as beautiful as the night is long--
Though tendrils creep under the door,
Long fingers seeking to steal our light--
My love, they are not long enough.

The day is as beautiful as the night is long--
Darkness surrounds and presses in,
Fear that will sap out warmth like winter's chill--
But darling, it is not strong enough.

Your love blankets like snow on a hill;
Your light envelops as a sun-drenched sill;
Your life beckons me to drink my fill--
The day is as beautiful as the night is long.

A musical poem by Mathieu Montte:
Surrender yourself unto the music, allow the waves to wash over.
Splendour oneself accrue the sound, disavow the knaves of tosh drover.
Allow yourself to unseal the movement, let your soul feel the strings.
Avow oneself that surreal of imprudence, abet more steal the flings.
Indulge yourself in the audible feast, awe of the power with behold.
Divulge oneself way, a primal released, thaw, follow, devour, uncontrolled.
Being free of the cords that bind, fully resounded within the echo.
Seeing thee the awards flat find, purely resonated grin, let go.

Darkness by madam Nightlyre

Slip into the dark, My Child,
it's not so hard to sleep.
Your life has been too wild, My Child,
for there's no-one left to weep.

No tears will fall from yonder star,
nor flow from mountains high.
Nothing else your way to bar,
just one last long deep sigh.

You left this world behind, My Child,
for we let you slip away.
Too dark was your short life, My Child,
for they begged you not to stay.

Again it was away you'd run,
away from dark despair.
Far enough you could not run,
for life is never fair.

Eternaly Scorned by Tsuyoshi

Blades and blood and bonds ablaze
These fields, they burn, a smoky haze
The shadows of war hang over head
Shadows loom over these lands of Dread

Echoes, calls, screams and pain
Suffering eternal, a world of disdain
Creatures called men, Endless Swarms
Their halls and walls and homes adorned
The skulls and bones and thrones of foes
Shattered, Broken, a morbid decor

Deep run the scars, the wounds of this world
Damned, Cursed, Eternally scorned.

Mourn the spring by a member of the ezrite church:

Harsh and bright is summer's light;
 Cruel and cold is winter.
Autumn dies, too full of spite.
 Sad, alone and bitter.

Warm and soft is spring's caress:
 Tender as a lover.
But her sins won't confess;
 She, the great deceiver.

What is truth and what is lie?
 Nothing the seasons bring.
And at the close we all die,
 So who should mourn the spring?

There also was a submission by Doctor Drukker who has decided to publish it himself and not with the others above; likely with some more medical knowledge to educate us on, which I do believe that we all look forward to.

A Humoral Verse for Children (and their Lessers) -

Though most children may think it completely a bore
They'd do well to pay heed to these Humors of Four;
No exam will be given, no rod shall be shaked
Attend now the Humors and good use of them make

Sanguine (the blood) runs red, warm and moist
As an airy Spring breeze, our spirit it hoists;
It flies through our being -  like a rod from the quiver
Sanguine the humor takes flight in the liver

Choleric (bile of yellow) warm and dry like a fire
Lights the way to do great things, but likewise sparks ire
Summer grasses grow tall - yet they also hide adders
Yellow Choleric the humor lies coiled in gall bladders

Melancholic (bile of black) cold and dry as the grave
Yet our lives it doth give us, 'gesting foods that we crave;
Earth and the Autumn - waxing fat, waning lean
Melancholic the humor bubbles forth from the spleen

Phlegmatic (Oh mystery!) flows wet and cold
To soften and cool - the mind, body and soul
As Winter's soft snows becalm our domain
Phlegmatic the Humor drifts from lungs and from brain

A balance of Humors brings the blessing of Health
Strive on to know them - and thus know yourself

Upcoming events

Soon there will be two upcoming events that readers may wish to look forward to.

First is the Les Chats Noir Fashion show that shall be held in three weeks, all those interested in this should speak with one of the ladies of Les Chats Noir. Models and dressmakers are encouraged to work with the ladies on this up coming lovely event.

Second is a musical concert that my brother is working on for the theater de la cathedral. This shall be an event for those interested in hearing some wonderful music. Musicians interested in showing your skill in the musical arts should speak with my brother.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 04:32:49 PM by herkles »