You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: L'Observateur  (Read 11932 times)

Dread

• Dungeon Masters
  • Community Council
  • Dark Power
Re: L'Observateur
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2014, 08:17:02 PM »

Dread

• Dungeon Masters
  • Community Council
  • Dark Power
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2014, 01:07:08 AM »

Dread

• Dungeon Masters
  • Community Council
  • Dark Power
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2014, 10:41:48 PM »

Dread

• Dungeon Masters
  • Community Council
  • Dark Power
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2014, 05:25:22 PM »

Dread

• Dungeon Masters
  • Community Council
  • Dark Power
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2014, 09:42:30 PM »
[Something is released via the presses, an official apology coming from the respected newspaper...]

"L'Observateur wishes to apologize for the article written about Vlad's escape and capture, as there were numerous inaccuracies suggesting the Lily Knight's involvement in and assistance given to the caliban's brutish actions. We express deep regret over what was published, and the reporter responsible for covering the events surrounding Vlad's trial-by-combat has been sacked."

Dread

• Dungeon Masters
  • Community Council
  • Dark Power
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2014, 03:35:48 PM »

Dread

• Dungeon Masters
  • Community Council
  • Dark Power
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2014, 03:00:33 PM »

« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 03:02:21 PM by DM Vengeance »

Dread

• Dungeon Masters
  • Community Council
  • Dark Power
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2014, 08:35:27 PM »

Dread

• Dungeon Masters
  • Community Council
  • Dark Power
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2014, 12:00:21 AM »

Dread

• Dungeon Masters
  • Community Council
  • Dark Power
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2014, 02:39:06 PM »

Dread

• Dungeon Masters
  • Community Council
  • Dark Power
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2015, 06:46:04 PM »

Dread

• Dungeon Masters
  • Community Council
  • Dark Power
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2015, 11:41:28 PM »
----
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 09:17:59 PM by DM Vengeance »

Dread

• Dungeon Masters
  • Community Council
  • Dark Power
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2015, 09:05:09 PM »

Dread

• Dungeon Masters
  • Community Council
  • Dark Power
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2015, 02:14:29 PM »

((Those wishing to attend the open clinic, clicky.))

Dread

• Dungeon Masters
  • Community Council
  • Dark Power
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2015, 03:33:36 PM »
((postponing the event mentioned above for the time being.))

Mephisto

• Dark Power
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2016, 10:10:44 PM »
ANSELME DE COURSAY - CHARLATAN AND MURDERER?

It is with a heavy heart that I am forced to write of a great injustice, the latest in a long line of misdeeds performed by the privileged elite of our fair country, in this case commited by the aforementioned Baron de Corbie, now proclaimed Vicomte.
I am unable to hold my tongue as corruption occurs among our gentry. My friend the generous and kind Vicomte de Valais has suffered a great injustice and has been taken advantage of in his lowest hour.  De Corbie's claims upon his titles are false! His first claim was made under highly suspicious circumstances, a highly fortutious heir to an unlikely legacy. And this recent scandal exposes the 'Baron' for what he is - a shameless opportunist, and perhaps worse besides!

As reported in this newspaper only last week, my old friend the Vicomte Vincente de Valais suffered an unfortunate loss. The death of his wife and child, murdered by an enemy unseen, the result of which left the good vicomte catatonic and bereft of his faculties, able only to speak such nonsense as 'her' and the 'flapping of wings'. He was often found praying fanatically to Ezra, despite never being a religious man, in his room at Chateaufaux asylum.

I visited the Vicomte last week while reporting the story for this paper, and the man was in a poor state, mistaking me (of all people!) as his own son and weeping of his loss.

I returned to Chateaufaux Asylum the past day to confirm my suspicions, and alas it is true - shortly after the tragic incident, the asylum had received a visit by none other than Anselme de Corbie, and a gentleman named Piers Worsley. Having been a close friend of the Vicomte de Valais for many years, he has never once mentioned to me of his acquaintance with de Corbie, let alone that he was an acquaintance close enough to sign away his wealth and heritage to him! Worse still, the staff at the asylum inform me that Vincente's condition has dramatically worsened since the visit by de Corbie, and all communication with the man is no longer possible!

I call upon all to recognise this great injustice committed against my friend Vincente de Valais, and I beseech the council to investigate fortwith. Was the murder of my friend's family orchestrated by the same man who then stole his titles? I will stop at nothing to see the truth finally exposed!

Claude Edward-Molyneux.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 10:16:12 PM by Mephisto »
Courage is not the absence of fear, but having the ability to face it.

Dread

• Dungeon Masters
  • Community Council
  • Dark Power
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2020, 12:43:12 PM »
L'OBSERVATEUR

[This latest issue of Port-a-Lucine's leading gazette is rather dull and far from exciting, save for this op-ed, penned by a peer of the Serene Republic:]

SUPPORTING THE REBELLION IN FALKOVNIA IS A TRAP.

Our republic seems stuck in a cruel and vicious cycle defined by strife, war, or both at the same time. For the last decade or perhaps even longer, we have been a part of this cycle and yet we keep making mistakes and fool decisions to ensure that we never leave it. Dear readers, rest assured that by supporting these rebels who have broken away from the Kingfuhrer's regime, we sow the seeds for the next conflict and work to make certain that it comes sooner rather than later.

I, of course, empathize with those who wish to answer blood for blood after a years-long siege at the fortress of Amaranthe. I give my sympathies for those who lost loved ones when the Falkovnians briefly occupied Edrigan. I offer my support to the nobility and common-born who, together, took a stand to fight off the invaders in the twilight years of the ill-fated "Revolution" five years before. However, just as the Falkovnians are dealing with their own strife, we must not forget that we are still in the process of healing from our own self-inflicted wounds. We are still trying to recover from the bloody conflict the Maitriser started, a conflict that pitted brother against brother, and father against son.

If we involve ourselves in the Falkovnians' affairs now, they shall surely remember when they've regained their strength and put the rebels to flight. We should also ask ourselves if now is the time to risk jeopardizing our already-strained relationship with Falkovnia -- they are far and away our biggest suppliers of grain; we've only recently continued resumption of trade with them and now they are threatening to cut us off once more at a time where the commons are rightly upset over broken promises and their own voice going unheard for so long.

We must restrain ourselves and err on the side of caution where these rebels are concerned; how long will "Vladantilan" last against the Kingfuhrer's war machine? Will it withstand the crucible that defines its birth or shall it be quashed in a few weeks' time? My money is on the latter happening.

~ Gaspard de Montferroy, Vicomte de Orpierre

Have you a desire to write for L'Observateur, either full-time or as an occasional contributor? Have you an opinion which you hope to share? Write to our offices in the Quartier Savant.

Libellious works will not be accepted and will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Dread

• Dungeon Masters
  • Community Council
  • Dark Power
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2020, 07:41:23 PM »
L'OBSERVATEUR

[This latest issue of Port-a-Lucine features little of substance, save for this op-ed:]

SUPPORTING VLADANTILAN IS OUR DUTY

I echo the sentiments of the Vicomte de Orpierre in his recent piece: Our Serene Republique seems in a trance, hypnotized into repeating the errors of its past. I suggest, however, that aiding the Falkovnian people in rising up against their oppressors is a far cry from what we've attempted before. It is also a disservice to the lives lost against the Hawks to imply that any actions of our peace-loving Republique were responsible for the depredation that was visited upon them. There is no doubt that that Falkovnians will come again; they will not stop until the Zweifalk flies above the Palais Dirigeant. Appeasing them is folly, as it has ever been.

Nor should we resume reliance upon the Falkovnians after having weathered the storm against them for so long. Darkon was once an economic titan, before the fall of the city of Il-Aluk and the ruin brought about to the nation's infrastructure. Ample time has passed, however, and if new roads have not already been charted to bypass the ruins of Il-Aluk, financial incentive should see it done in short order. Martira Bay and Port-a-Lucine are ideally placed to facilitate trade of the grain our people require to prosper. Lamordia likewise presents exciting prospects for increased trade, and the Public Institutions Advisor is uniquely qualified to build diplomatic inroads into the country. Let the hunger of our people no longer be a zweihander hanging over our heads. The coin we pay today is the blood our sons and daughters pay tomorrow.

It is entirely possible that Vicomte de Orpierre's predictions will come true. The Kingfuhrer's designs against our people will not change, whether we offer him peace or the sword. It is time that we do more than wait for Falkovnia to bring fire and misery to our doorstep, and instead offer them a proper rebuke.

I am hopeful of Vladantilan's prospects, but I acknowledge they walk a hard road and the destination is unclear. Regardless, as lovers of liberty, we should not force them to walk it alone.

Jacinth d'Espérance
Baron de Mouisset

Have you a desire to write for L'Observateur, either full-time or as an occasional contributor? Have you an opinion which you hope to share? Write to our offices in the Quartier Savant.

Libellious works will not be accepted and will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Dread

• Dungeon Masters
  • Community Council
  • Dark Power
« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2020, 08:54:16 AM »
L'OBSERVATEUR

[This latest issue of Port-a-Lucine's leading gazette features a series of editorials from outside writers, but little else of interest...]

DEPENDENCE ON FOREIGN GRAINS IS DANGEROUS; INVEST IN OUR PEOPLE FIRST BEFORE FOREIGN INTERESTS.

I, too, echo the sentiments of the Vicomte de Orpierre and in part, those of the Baron de Mouisset. Though where I am forced to, in pleasant discourse, disagree with Monsieur le Baron's assessment is the desire or need for Dementlieuse dependence on foreign grain-stocks. It is inevitable that the Zweifalk shall rise again to strike at us, and even now it is to my thinking that Falkovnia finds itself in a position unlike ever before; Weak and afraid of a Dementlieu who is no longer dependent upon them. Where the sole retaining chain on its independence from counter-aggression is a key and simple fact of any military campaign: an army marches on its stomach. Falkovnia has long held the key in this regard, ever since the first incursion of the Dementlieuvian Annexation of 707 B.C. where our fair République first encountered the barbarous raiders of this vile nation. It was with black powder, and the modern military method of engagement we managed to repel the Falkovnian invaders. Yet, in the years since, we have allowed the foundations of our society to be eroded in favor for cheap alternatives to feed our hungry masses; We have made our armies and our people dependent on the very abusers whose first diplomatic envoy to our nation wielded a sword and not a quill.

I ask you, how can La République de Dementlieu remain strong, if our most valuable resource is owned by another nation? In the times of Léon, we Dementlieuse did not find ourselves dependent upon foreign grain, or foreign supplies. We remained independent, strong, and from times of antiquity to now, reigned militarily supreme. We often look back to those distant times in wonder, for how we have fallen from our Golden Age of peace and tranquility. Before we send Solars and supplies to foreign nations to supply us with our food, we should first focus upon our own citizenry, upon our own infrastructure, and find independence from foreign control. It is in my humble opinion that we should subsidize the agricultural industry of our nation, as well as the fishing industry, to ensure we are as self-sufficient as possible, no matter the cost. As Monsieur le Baron so aptly stated, "the coin we pay today is the blood our sons and daughters pay tomorrow."

It is entirely possible that the Baron de Mouisset, and the Vicomte de Orpierre's predictions and desires remain both true, and prudent over my own. I am but a humble citizen, and they are born of our august aristocracy. I must ask you to ask yourselves however -- when will the time come, that Darkonese crops will come with their price in controlling our sovereign birthright and our manifest destiny as Wardens of the Western Core? When will our armies grow hungry again as they defend our citizens from foreign invaders we have personally enriched with our hard-earned Solars?

I, for one, stand with our citizens in securing and subsidizing critical infrastructure for the production of local and sustainable sources of grain and fish, enriching our citizens over foreign interests. We are a nation of a population size of a mere one-fifth of that of Falkovnia, yet with a functional agricultural landmass amounting to one-third of that of Falkovnia. We are blessed with the bounties of the Baie de Parnault, Baie de Sable, Baie de Azure and the Sea of Sorrows to our West, and those of the Musarde River to our East. Falkovnia feeds several nations and itself, yet mathematically and historically speaking, we are capable of providing for ourselves. If Dementlieu truly desired to feed itself, it can, as it has for centuries in our past.

It only requires the collective vision and will to do so as a nation.

Alix Sinclair Martineau
Dame d'Estellier

A SERENE REPUBLIQUE, A BRILLIANT FUTURE

It has been over two years since Monsieur Jacques Varteur presented his petition before the self-proclaimed Provisional Government. Their answer was first to stain the hallowed steps of the Palais Dirigeant with the blood of our citizens, and offer deafening silence after.

It has been less than a month since the same petition was presented to the Lady-Governor and her Council of Brilliance, with entirely different result. Rather than smoke and violence, the people of our Serene Republique saw a display of compassion and reason.

Of the requested reforms, a third have seen immediate enforcement. Firstly, the passage of legislation to ensure the safety of laborers. No more will the lives of workers be placed second to the consideration of profit. Secondly, ensuring the Four Tower Treaty nations honor their word to stand beside us as we wear the mantle of Guardian to the Western Core. Every son and daughter, and ever mother and father should rejoice that we will not bear this weight alone.

Many of the other proposals, too have seen answer if not immediate adoption. The financial incentives and favor in large-scale government contracts that will be awarded to businesses that keep worker's competitive will guide the nation forward with a carrot, rather than goading with a stick. Those who support children and their education will also see their benevolence rewarded in much the same fashion. This middle road will see less pain for families that rely upon a child's income, while emphasizing opportunity for the next generation of Dementlieuse to take up the torch of liberty.

The abhorrent practice of debt bondage, too , will be confronted head on by the Lady-Governor and her Council of Brilliance. The issue is complex; the economic impact of eliminating debt bondage is unknown, and the Serene Republique is only now seeing the full cost of years of siege, war, and famine. Fresh off the heels of so many troubles, further instability would be disastrous to the nobility and the common worker alike. This is exactly why the gradual elimination proclaimed by the Council of Brilliance is necessary; compassion, tempered by reason and wisdom. With this pronouncement, the larger mercantile costers that serve as the cogs of our nation's financial system have been put on notice: Change will not come overnight, but it is inevitable, and they must begin to curb the practice of debt bondage or else be left in the past.

Only a true cynic would dismiss the significance of these proclamations, and yet even still there is yet more work to be done. It must be acknowledged, however, that the Lady-Governor and her Council of Brilliance have done more since the victory at Ameranthe to better the lives of the all the people of Dementlieu than any other save Leon himself.

Our country has seen slaughter under the boot of the tyrant Foquelaine. It has known the horror of starvation, and the depredations of the Hawks. It has suffered under the apathy of the Comtesse d'Azerac, Michelle de Froissart. Now, under the wisdom of our Lady-Governor, it is time for us to know a deeper prosperity than ever before.

Jacinth d'Espérance
Baron de Mouisset

THE HEALTH OF THE DEMENTLIEUSE LANDS

The lands of Dementlieu are a beautiful one. Rolling plains with picturesque villages, farmlands, and lush forests unspoiled by the encroachment of cities. The City of Lights is the bastion of culture and civilization is grand, but it can only remain so with the health and care of the hinterlands that provide for it. In a time where Dementlieu relies on the grain of hostile outsiders, it is time the people of Dementlieu reconsider how we act as custodians of the lands bestowed to us. Let us reconsider the responsibility to care for the farms, forests, and plains that Empereur Leon secured for the people of the land.

It is through self-sufficiency and efforts that will ensure Dementlieu’s people can not only protect its resources, but also, increase its bounty of foodstuffs in farmlands to reduce reliance on hostile states. It is to the people’s benefit to nurture and protect wildlife and forests. Protection of the land is necessary so there is a larger source of meat, furs, and timber for people’s use. If Dementlieu can become responsible masters of its natural resources the anxiety of relying on foreign foodstuffs will reduce. The matter of feeding the commons of the land will become less expensive and, ultimately, such an investment has a huge return not only in economy as well as increased harmony between the people and the natural world. Furthermore, the people of Dementlieu will take pride of the visible results of our efforts. The investment of safeguarding the land will return its price in dividends in generations who will encounter less squalor, fewer people starving on city streets, and learn vital skills to preserve Dementlieu’s untamed wealth -- a healthy land that will in turn take care of the people who dwell on it.

Ask yourselves what future you wish to leave to future generations.

Creighton Norville
Natural Philosopher and Botanist

Dread

• Dungeon Masters
  • Community Council
  • Dark Power
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2021, 09:26:26 AM »
L'OBSERVATEUR

[This issue of the gazette is, likewise, pretty dull and uninteresting; however, the following blurb might sparks interest:]

Seeking an editor now, alongside regular reporters and contributors!