Author Topic: L'Observateur  (Read 20870 times)

Dread

• Dark Power
Re: L'Observateur
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2014, 08:17:02 PM »

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2014, 01:07:08 AM »

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2014, 10:41:48 PM »

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2014, 05:25:22 PM »

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2014, 09:42:30 PM »
[Something is released via the presses, an official apology coming from the respected newspaper...]

"L'Observateur wishes to apologize for the article written about Vlad's escape and capture, as there were numerous inaccuracies suggesting the Lily Knight's involvement in and assistance given to the caliban's brutish actions. We express deep regret over what was published, and the reporter responsible for covering the events surrounding Vlad's trial-by-combat has been sacked."

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2014, 03:35:48 PM »

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2014, 03:00:33 PM »

« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 03:02:21 PM by DM Vengeance »

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2014, 08:35:27 PM »

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2014, 12:00:21 AM »

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2014, 02:39:06 PM »

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2015, 06:46:04 PM »

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2015, 11:41:28 PM »
----
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 09:17:59 PM by DM Vengeance »

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2015, 09:05:09 PM »

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2015, 02:14:29 PM »

((Those wishing to attend the open clinic, clicky.))

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2015, 03:33:36 PM »
((postponing the event mentioned above for the time being.))

Mephisto

• Dark Power
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2016, 10:10:44 PM »
ANSELME DE COURSAY - CHARLATAN AND MURDERER?

It is with a heavy heart that I am forced to write of a great injustice, the latest in a long line of misdeeds performed by the privileged elite of our fair country, in this case commited by the aforementioned Baron de Corbie, now proclaimed Vicomte.
I am unable to hold my tongue as corruption occurs among our gentry. My friend the generous and kind Vicomte de Valais has suffered a great injustice and has been taken advantage of in his lowest hour.  De Corbie's claims upon his titles are false! His first claim was made under highly suspicious circumstances, a highly fortutious heir to an unlikely legacy. And this recent scandal exposes the 'Baron' for what he is - a shameless opportunist, and perhaps worse besides!

As reported in this newspaper only last week, my old friend the Vicomte Vincente de Valais suffered an unfortunate loss. The death of his wife and child, murdered by an enemy unseen, the result of which left the good vicomte catatonic and bereft of his faculties, able only to speak such nonsense as 'her' and the 'flapping of wings'. He was often found praying fanatically to Ezra, despite never being a religious man, in his room at Chateaufaux asylum.

I visited the Vicomte last week while reporting the story for this paper, and the man was in a poor state, mistaking me (of all people!) as his own son and weeping of his loss.

I returned to Chateaufaux Asylum the past day to confirm my suspicions, and alas it is true - shortly after the tragic incident, the asylum had received a visit by none other than Anselme de Corbie, and a gentleman named Piers Worsley. Having been a close friend of the Vicomte de Valais for many years, he has never once mentioned to me of his acquaintance with de Corbie, let alone that he was an acquaintance close enough to sign away his wealth and heritage to him! Worse still, the staff at the asylum inform me that Vincente's condition has dramatically worsened since the visit by de Corbie, and all communication with the man is no longer possible!

I call upon all to recognise this great injustice committed against my friend Vincente de Valais, and I beseech the council to investigate fortwith. Was the murder of my friend's family orchestrated by the same man who then stole his titles? I will stop at nothing to see the truth finally exposed!

Claude Edward-Molyneux.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 10:16:12 PM by Mephisto »
Courage is not the absence of fear, but having the ability to face it.

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2020, 12:43:12 PM »
L'OBSERVATEUR

[This latest issue of Port-a-Lucine's leading gazette is rather dull and far from exciting, save for this op-ed, penned by a peer of the Serene Republic:]

SUPPORTING THE REBELLION IN FALKOVNIA IS A TRAP.

Our republic seems stuck in a cruel and vicious cycle defined by strife, war, or both at the same time. For the last decade or perhaps even longer, we have been a part of this cycle and yet we keep making mistakes and fool decisions to ensure that we never leave it. Dear readers, rest assured that by supporting these rebels who have broken away from the Kingfuhrer's regime, we sow the seeds for the next conflict and work to make certain that it comes sooner rather than later.

I, of course, empathize with those who wish to answer blood for blood after a years-long siege at the fortress of Amaranthe. I give my sympathies for those who lost loved ones when the Falkovnians briefly occupied Edrigan. I offer my support to the nobility and common-born who, together, took a stand to fight off the invaders in the twilight years of the ill-fated "Revolution" five years before. However, just as the Falkovnians are dealing with their own strife, we must not forget that we are still in the process of healing from our own self-inflicted wounds. We are still trying to recover from the bloody conflict the Maitriser started, a conflict that pitted brother against brother, and father against son.

If we involve ourselves in the Falkovnians' affairs now, they shall surely remember when they've regained their strength and put the rebels to flight. We should also ask ourselves if now is the time to risk jeopardizing our already-strained relationship with Falkovnia -- they are far and away our biggest suppliers of grain; we've only recently continued resumption of trade with them and now they are threatening to cut us off once more at a time where the commons are rightly upset over broken promises and their own voice going unheard for so long.

We must restrain ourselves and err on the side of caution where these rebels are concerned; how long will "Vladantilan" last against the Kingfuhrer's war machine? Will it withstand the crucible that defines its birth or shall it be quashed in a few weeks' time? My money is on the latter happening.

~ Gaspard de Montferroy, Vicomte de Orpierre

Have you a desire to write for L'Observateur, either full-time or as an occasional contributor? Have you an opinion which you hope to share? Write to our offices in the Quartier Savant.

Libellious works will not be accepted and will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2020, 07:41:23 PM »
L'OBSERVATEUR

[This latest issue of Port-a-Lucine features little of substance, save for this op-ed:]

SUPPORTING VLADANTILAN IS OUR DUTY

I echo the sentiments of the Vicomte de Orpierre in his recent piece: Our Serene Republique seems in a trance, hypnotized into repeating the errors of its past. I suggest, however, that aiding the Falkovnian people in rising up against their oppressors is a far cry from what we've attempted before. It is also a disservice to the lives lost against the Hawks to imply that any actions of our peace-loving Republique were responsible for the depredation that was visited upon them. There is no doubt that that Falkovnians will come again; they will not stop until the Zweifalk flies above the Palais Dirigeant. Appeasing them is folly, as it has ever been.

Nor should we resume reliance upon the Falkovnians after having weathered the storm against them for so long. Darkon was once an economic titan, before the fall of the city of Il-Aluk and the ruin brought about to the nation's infrastructure. Ample time has passed, however, and if new roads have not already been charted to bypass the ruins of Il-Aluk, financial incentive should see it done in short order. Martira Bay and Port-a-Lucine are ideally placed to facilitate trade of the grain our people require to prosper. Lamordia likewise presents exciting prospects for increased trade, and the Public Institutions Advisor is uniquely qualified to build diplomatic inroads into the country. Let the hunger of our people no longer be a zweihander hanging over our heads. The coin we pay today is the blood our sons and daughters pay tomorrow.

It is entirely possible that Vicomte de Orpierre's predictions will come true. The Kingfuhrer's designs against our people will not change, whether we offer him peace or the sword. It is time that we do more than wait for Falkovnia to bring fire and misery to our doorstep, and instead offer them a proper rebuke.

I am hopeful of Vladantilan's prospects, but I acknowledge they walk a hard road and the destination is unclear. Regardless, as lovers of liberty, we should not force them to walk it alone.

Jacinth d'Espérance
Baron de Mouisset

Have you a desire to write for L'Observateur, either full-time or as an occasional contributor? Have you an opinion which you hope to share? Write to our offices in the Quartier Savant.

Libellious works will not be accepted and will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2020, 08:54:16 AM »
L'OBSERVATEUR

[This latest issue of Port-a-Lucine's leading gazette features a series of editorials from outside writers, but little else of interest...]

DEPENDENCE ON FOREIGN GRAINS IS DANGEROUS; INVEST IN OUR PEOPLE FIRST BEFORE FOREIGN INTERESTS.

I, too, echo the sentiments of the Vicomte de Orpierre and in part, those of the Baron de Mouisset. Though where I am forced to, in pleasant discourse, disagree with Monsieur le Baron's assessment is the desire or need for Dementlieuse dependence on foreign grain-stocks. It is inevitable that the Zweifalk shall rise again to strike at us, and even now it is to my thinking that Falkovnia finds itself in a position unlike ever before; Weak and afraid of a Dementlieu who is no longer dependent upon them. Where the sole retaining chain on its independence from counter-aggression is a key and simple fact of any military campaign: an army marches on its stomach. Falkovnia has long held the key in this regard, ever since the first incursion of the Dementlieuvian Annexation of 707 B.C. where our fair République first encountered the barbarous raiders of this vile nation. It was with black powder, and the modern military method of engagement we managed to repel the Falkovnian invaders. Yet, in the years since, we have allowed the foundations of our society to be eroded in favor for cheap alternatives to feed our hungry masses; We have made our armies and our people dependent on the very abusers whose first diplomatic envoy to our nation wielded a sword and not a quill.

I ask you, how can La République de Dementlieu remain strong, if our most valuable resource is owned by another nation? In the times of Léon, we Dementlieuse did not find ourselves dependent upon foreign grain, or foreign supplies. We remained independent, strong, and from times of antiquity to now, reigned militarily supreme. We often look back to those distant times in wonder, for how we have fallen from our Golden Age of peace and tranquility. Before we send Solars and supplies to foreign nations to supply us with our food, we should first focus upon our own citizenry, upon our own infrastructure, and find independence from foreign control. It is in my humble opinion that we should subsidize the agricultural industry of our nation, as well as the fishing industry, to ensure we are as self-sufficient as possible, no matter the cost. As Monsieur le Baron so aptly stated, "the coin we pay today is the blood our sons and daughters pay tomorrow."

It is entirely possible that the Baron de Mouisset, and the Vicomte de Orpierre's predictions and desires remain both true, and prudent over my own. I am but a humble citizen, and they are born of our august aristocracy. I must ask you to ask yourselves however -- when will the time come, that Darkonese crops will come with their price in controlling our sovereign birthright and our manifest destiny as Wardens of the Western Core? When will our armies grow hungry again as they defend our citizens from foreign invaders we have personally enriched with our hard-earned Solars?

I, for one, stand with our citizens in securing and subsidizing critical infrastructure for the production of local and sustainable sources of grain and fish, enriching our citizens over foreign interests. We are a nation of a population size of a mere one-fifth of that of Falkovnia, yet with a functional agricultural landmass amounting to one-third of that of Falkovnia. We are blessed with the bounties of the Baie de Parnault, Baie de Sable, Baie de Azure and the Sea of Sorrows to our West, and those of the Musarde River to our East. Falkovnia feeds several nations and itself, yet mathematically and historically speaking, we are capable of providing for ourselves. If Dementlieu truly desired to feed itself, it can, as it has for centuries in our past.

It only requires the collective vision and will to do so as a nation.

Alix Sinclair Martineau
Dame d'Estellier

A SERENE REPUBLIQUE, A BRILLIANT FUTURE

It has been over two years since Monsieur Jacques Varteur presented his petition before the self-proclaimed Provisional Government. Their answer was first to stain the hallowed steps of the Palais Dirigeant with the blood of our citizens, and offer deafening silence after.

It has been less than a month since the same petition was presented to the Lady-Governor and her Council of Brilliance, with entirely different result. Rather than smoke and violence, the people of our Serene Republique saw a display of compassion and reason.

Of the requested reforms, a third have seen immediate enforcement. Firstly, the passage of legislation to ensure the safety of laborers. No more will the lives of workers be placed second to the consideration of profit. Secondly, ensuring the Four Tower Treaty nations honor their word to stand beside us as we wear the mantle of Guardian to the Western Core. Every son and daughter, and ever mother and father should rejoice that we will not bear this weight alone.

Many of the other proposals, too have seen answer if not immediate adoption. The financial incentives and favor in large-scale government contracts that will be awarded to businesses that keep worker's competitive will guide the nation forward with a carrot, rather than goading with a stick. Those who support children and their education will also see their benevolence rewarded in much the same fashion. This middle road will see less pain for families that rely upon a child's income, while emphasizing opportunity for the next generation of Dementlieuse to take up the torch of liberty.

The abhorrent practice of debt bondage, too , will be confronted head on by the Lady-Governor and her Council of Brilliance. The issue is complex; the economic impact of eliminating debt bondage is unknown, and the Serene Republique is only now seeing the full cost of years of siege, war, and famine. Fresh off the heels of so many troubles, further instability would be disastrous to the nobility and the common worker alike. This is exactly why the gradual elimination proclaimed by the Council of Brilliance is necessary; compassion, tempered by reason and wisdom. With this pronouncement, the larger mercantile costers that serve as the cogs of our nation's financial system have been put on notice: Change will not come overnight, but it is inevitable, and they must begin to curb the practice of debt bondage or else be left in the past.

Only a true cynic would dismiss the significance of these proclamations, and yet even still there is yet more work to be done. It must be acknowledged, however, that the Lady-Governor and her Council of Brilliance have done more since the victory at Ameranthe to better the lives of the all the people of Dementlieu than any other save Leon himself.

Our country has seen slaughter under the boot of the tyrant Foquelaine. It has known the horror of starvation, and the depredations of the Hawks. It has suffered under the apathy of the Comtesse d'Azerac, Michelle de Froissart. Now, under the wisdom of our Lady-Governor, it is time for us to know a deeper prosperity than ever before.

Jacinth d'Espérance
Baron de Mouisset

THE HEALTH OF THE DEMENTLIEUSE LANDS

The lands of Dementlieu are a beautiful one. Rolling plains with picturesque villages, farmlands, and lush forests unspoiled by the encroachment of cities. The City of Lights is the bastion of culture and civilization is grand, but it can only remain so with the health and care of the hinterlands that provide for it. In a time where Dementlieu relies on the grain of hostile outsiders, it is time the people of Dementlieu reconsider how we act as custodians of the lands bestowed to us. Let us reconsider the responsibility to care for the farms, forests, and plains that Empereur Leon secured for the people of the land.

It is through self-sufficiency and efforts that will ensure Dementlieu’s people can not only protect its resources, but also, increase its bounty of foodstuffs in farmlands to reduce reliance on hostile states. It is to the people’s benefit to nurture and protect wildlife and forests. Protection of the land is necessary so there is a larger source of meat, furs, and timber for people’s use. If Dementlieu can become responsible masters of its natural resources the anxiety of relying on foreign foodstuffs will reduce. The matter of feeding the commons of the land will become less expensive and, ultimately, such an investment has a huge return not only in economy as well as increased harmony between the people and the natural world. Furthermore, the people of Dementlieu will take pride of the visible results of our efforts. The investment of safeguarding the land will return its price in dividends in generations who will encounter less squalor, fewer people starving on city streets, and learn vital skills to preserve Dementlieu’s untamed wealth -- a healthy land that will in turn take care of the people who dwell on it.

Ask yourselves what future you wish to leave to future generations.

Creighton Norville
Natural Philosopher and Botanist

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2021, 09:26:26 AM »
L'OBSERVATEUR

[This issue of the gazette is, likewise, pretty dull and uninteresting; however, the following blurb might sparks interest:]

Seeking an editor now, alongside regular reporters and contributors!

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2021, 01:46:58 PM »
L'OBSERVATEUR

[This latest issue of Port-a-Lucine's leading gazette, again, features a series of editorials from outside writers.]

PROF. VINTER IS DANGEROUSLY UNHINGED

I have received numerous reports concerning the behavior of a gnomish alienist and newly-minted professor from Nova Vaasa, Dr. Katja Vinter, and each of them are troubling in their own way. I've heard that their focus routinely wanders, with them drawing strange symbols on random walls. They go through wild mood swings that show all the tell-tale signs of mania and hypomania interchangeably, their actions showing a certain recklessness when she is riding emotional highs. The former makes me believe that Dr. Vinter possesses a tenuous grasp upon reality, and the latter suggests that, if left to her own devices, she will become a danger to herself and to others.

In spite of this, the University of Dementlieu has remained silent on Dr. Vinter's obviously declining mental health, likely passing these off as harmless eccentricities. They are not and action needs to be taken, if the alienist does not herself recognize that something is wrong.

Dr. Sylvain Corriveau
Chateaufaux Sanitarium

RESTORE LA JEUNE COMPAIGNE'S RIGHTFUL LEADERSHIP

I have learned through the grapevine that a good friend of mine, the Baron de Mouisset, was suspended from leading La Jeune Compaigne, pending review of the Gendarmerie; this, over trying to take action against Elise and Esme Courtney, daughters of the Vicomte d'Orleon. Clearly, he must have known something that we didn't, because both of those women were summoned to the Gendarmerie yestereday and have not left the building since; it is obvious that they are now in custody, and likely for very serious crimes.

I believe that a redress is required; more specifically, that the Baron de Mouisset's role as Commander ought to be reinstated, and the man ought to be issued a full apology.

Clément du Jauffret
Vicomte de Mazarac

SUPPORT GUNDARAK, AND YOU SUPPORT DEMENTLIEU

I call upon all Dementlieuse citizens to support The Republic of Gundarak’s inclusion in The Treaty of Four Towers.  This military defense pact was signed by the neighbors of warlike Falkovnia to address its constant, unwarranted aggression.  How concerning it must have been for Borca that nothing was done when its own neighbor, Barovia, conquered Gundarak without provocation during The Great Upheaval.

I have heard much talk that we now live through The Time of Unparalleled Darkness.  Despite the name we might compare it to The Great Upheaval.  The chaos and destruction of these times gave rise to Bastion Raines’ prophesy.  The shape of the Core changed, its lands were altered and some portions were cast aside as islands.  There was much fear and uncertainty.  A reading of the Zarovich family’s actions during The Great Upheaval can give us insight into how they can be expected to act through The Time of Unparalleled Darkness.

Count Strahd XI took much and he took it without provocation for Duke Gundar was already dead.  Barovia chose this time to conscript its serfs, to forcibly tear them from fields and families and to send them to needless battlefields.  The fighting was brutal and lasted for nine months, ending in the cowardly Tuefeldorf Massacre.  Captain Abel Ivilskova tricked the Gundarakite leadership into thinking he was interested in negotiation when truly he was hungry for slaughter.

What shall become of the normally detached Zaroviches when The Time of Unparralled Darkness presents another opportunity?  Which of the current Count’s neighbors will be his target?  I pray it is not Borca for there are curious laws in Barovia that suggest the Zaroviches hold a bitter grudge against the Borcan Dilisnyas.  Supporting Gundarak weakens Barovian tyranny and strengthens the position of our Borcan allies.  Let us see to the spirit of the Treaty of Four Towers by weakening the position of tyrants throughout the Core.

Warden Anton Durand
Ste. Mere des LArmes

Have you a desire to write for L'Observateur, either full-time or as an occasional contributor? Have you an opinion which you hope to share? Write to our offices in the Quartier Savant. We are also still in need of a full-time editor; should this be to your interest, write to our offices as well.

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2021, 04:59:36 PM »
L'OBSERVATEUR

[This latest issue of Port-a-Lucine's leading gazette, again, features a series of editorials from outside writers.]

LA JEUNE COMPAGNIE: STILL RELEVANT? STILL NEEDED? YOU TELL ME.

I have heard numerous things of La Jeune Compagnie over these past two weeks, both with and without the leadership of M. le Baron de Mouisset, and under the leadership of Mme. la Baronesse de Fincellis. None of which have remained in my opinion, flattering, and many of which I will spare this august paper from being aired. Yet, I implore many to consider that it La Jeune Compagnie was a war-time provision of conscripted Nobles who were denied the right to march under their own banners, and instead the banners of the Provisional Government, against Falkovnia. Brave young men, but certainly not well-suited for a peacekeeping force, elsewise they'd be given blue coats and proper civil authority.

Indeed, I believe M. le Baron de Mouisset, accompanied by Mme. la Baronesse de Fincellis's actions have, from my perspective, actually frustrated any attempts to uncover the truth of whatever accusations may lay against the House Courteney, by acting without sanction, out-of-uniform, and counter to the Gendarmerie Nationale's lawful orders to cease and desist in assaulting the young girls, a charge which was leveled against them legally, along with other members of La Jeune Compagnie who participated in the farce. Now, there may indeed be crimes that these young girls are guilty of, but we live in a society in which charges must be leveled with proof and integrity, not wild accusations and attempts for war conscripts to illegally detain the girls with no proof of malfeasance without civil authority. This is the incident which saw M. la Baron de Mouisset suspended and placed under scrutiny for his actions.

At the orders and good judgement of Cpt. Osanna du Guignes who happened upon the illegal actions of M. le Baron de Mouisset and Mme. la Baronesse de Fincellis, Cpl. Jacques Boucher ordered the assault to cease, and was eventually ordered to threaten the arrest of the leadership of La Jeune Compagnie. This earned him the ire and disrespect of M. le Baron de Mouisset and Mme. la Baronesse de Fincellis. This ranges from a series of encounters, from the attempt to use a national war-time unit as a political cudgel in order to exclude Cpl. Jacques Boucher from commanding La Jeune Compagnie by legal contract -- flaunting the Gendarmerie Nationale's authority in their own face despite no real acting authority to make such a threat -- to ignoring advisement by the Gendarmerie Nationale due to dangers on the road between Université Bluff and Port-à-Lucine, going so far as to wholly ignore the words of Cpl. Jacques Boucher attempting to ensure M. le Baron de Mouisset's safety as Gdme. Maxence Caillout and Gdme. Julien Carrel lay dead by his feet, having died to ensure the protection of Prof. Marcus Weyland on his way to the Université de Dementlieu.

Yet, perhaps the most egregious moment of negligence I have heard of is this. Cpl. Jacques Boucher, an acting member of the Gendarmerie Nationale, requested aid from La Jeune Compagnie to fulfill their duties to the Safe Zone Initiative. M. le Baron de Mouisset, being suspended could not attend, Mme. la Baronesse de Fincellis declined in favor of a meeting instead of her duties and obligations, and Mme. la Baronesse de Mouisset, a Compagnon, accepted an offer by M. le Baron de Mouisset to go on a stroll with Compagnon Blake de la Rochenoire and Mme. la Baronesse de Fincellis. However, when time for muster came, only the Wife of Sgt. de la Rochenoire, Compagnon Blake de la Rochenoire attended alongside dutiful Gendarmes such as Cpl. Yvette Sallembier, Gdme. Alouette Sautereau, and Gdme. Fleury Vaillant. During that night, Compagnon de la Rochenoire was grievously injured, alongside Cpl. Jacques Boucher, and several innocents among the commonfolk of Rue Bas were murdered. During this time, skirmishes were had in the Ouvrier with murderers seeking significant fatigue and damage to the belleageured Gendarmes and sole Compagnon attempting to secure the Safe Zone. During this, M. le Baron de Mouisset, Mme. la Baronesse de Mouisset and Mme. la Baronesse de Fincellis approached the Safe Zone out-of-uniform and in fine civilian attire, still on their stroll. Throughout that evening, none of three wore the colors of La Jeune Compagnie at the Safe Zone Initiative.

With respect to M. le Vicomte de Mazarac's call for the reinstatement and full apology to M. le Baron de Mouisset for his suspension, I must state that it in my opinion as an ex-Gendarme, the man not only held no evidence of malfeasance for the accusations of crimes against the Courteney Family's daughters, acting wildly out of turn, but indeed, may have frustrated the investigation. Furthermore he callously disrespected the dutiful Cpl. Jacques Boucher who did, and whom of which, provided the necessary evidence to prosecute the case. M. le Baron de Mouisset attempted to use his command of a national unit as a political cudgel to damage and discredit the Caporal's authority and may have severely jeopardized the case with his reckless actions that saw him suspended in the first place. If anyone should deserve a full and public apology, it is Cpl. Jacques Boucher and his Capitaine de la Jour, Cpt. Osanna du Guignes to whom we all owe our thanks to for keeping level heads and their persistent, and constant duty to safekeeping this République and its Citizens. Counted among them, an upstart Baron who has, since becoming titled, bucked and abused his status against the very institutions that prior to his titleage, he vaunted as sacrosanct and worthy of absolute respect.

In my personal opinion, La Jeune Compagnie, comprised almost entirely of House de la Rochenoire's descendents and retainers in this modern day, Cadet Houses included, should be heavily reconsidered as an active unit representing its greater parent organization, La Gendarmerie Nationale de La République de Dementlieu. If House de la Rochenoire's descendants and retainers desire to act in such a manner, they should be held to higher standards, enlisted, and held to the standards of decorum and duty that men such as M. le Baron de Mouisset's respectable and humble brother in the service, Sgt. Anatole de la Rochenoire, are held to.

Alix Sinclair Martineau,
Dame d'Estellier

PROF. VINTER IS DANGEROUSLY GNOMISH

I have taken due time to review and analyse Dr. Katja Vinter first hand, after reading of the esteemed Dr. Sylvain Corriveau's second-hand diagnosis. I was very impressed to observe an alienist capable of making a diagnosis without ever meeting the patient. Even more so by a diagnosis submitted in editorial form!

I was so inspired that I have taken it upon myself to diagnose Dr. Katja Vinter with a terminal case of being a Gnome. They are a peoples that are well known for their brilliance, but also their whimsy and exuberance. Worse, Dr. Katja Vinter was once a performer on the stage of Club l'Artiste before they moved on to their academic works and this surely served only to amplify their dramatics and danger to society.

This insidious condition is certainly a grave threat to all and sundry. In fact, many members of Dementlieuese society may actually be undiagnosed Gnomes. Perhaps with enough "reports" sent to Dr. Sylvian Corriveau, these dangerously strange members of our society can be identified and sent to the asylums in which they belong.

Something must surely be done!

Dr. Katja Vinter
University of Dementlieu

WE DEMAND ANSWERS

The daughters of the Vicomte d'Orleon have been summoned and subsequently arrested by the Gendarmerie and we, the Dementlieuse nobility, have not the slightest idea as to why. This is wholly unacceptable, especially since the killings are continuing even with them locked away. Perhaps the Gendarmerie themselves recognize just how disgraceful it is for these two women who, in my opinion are wholly innocent, to be rotting away in cells alongside hard-bitten killers and unrepentant career criminals.

Will Sargent de la Rochenoire or another officer from the Gendarmerie step forward and explain what is happening, or is it easier to remain profiles in cowardice?

Cyril de Bauchelot,
Comte d'Azerac

Have you a desire to write for L'Observateur, either full-time or as an occasional contributor? Have you an opinion which you hope to share? Write to our offices in the Quartier Savant. We are also still in need of a full-time editor; should this be to your interest, write to our offices as well.

The opinions expressed in the editorials belong to the authors submitting them and do not necessarily reflect the views of L'Observateur's editors.

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2021, 02:21:52 PM »
L'OBSERVATEUR

DEMENTLIEU IN FOCUS: A NATION'S DIRECTION

When we Dementlieuse gaze back upon our legacy and history as a military superpower and Warden of the Western Nations of the Core, what do we see? We see a proud history with heavy investment into practical, but modern military methods. Our enlightened and free-thinking Républiqe has spun a long song of lead and steel across the Western Core, and our legacy minted in the flintlock mechanism and elite infantry and heavy infantry tactics.

Indeed, our military victories have by far and wide, remained attributed to the practical application of modern sciences which any youth of our République may learn to use in defense of their home, family, and country. It is an increasing concern to me, that the Université de Dementlieu invests a considerable amount of time into rather fantastical and far-fetching wild pursuits such as the Department of Arcane Sciences. Whilst perhaps, interesting to teach these battlefield parlour tricks to enterprising young souls from across the Core, there is no battle I have been present in, which could not be won through discipline, hardened steel and a trusty musket at my side -- and there is no battle I have been in, in which more men could learn to sling a spell for the price they could sling a pistol.

Our enemies in the Falkovnian State have spent their entire existence with primitive infantry tactics, trebuchet, and the wild attempts to overcome their short comings in practical sciences with fantastical yet myopic devices of arcane nature, and in every turn for our République's grand history, ultimately have found this pursuit to be wanting. Look towards Invidia, and their sorcerer cabals, and strange weapons of arcane nature. If this was the superior investment of our youth's time, we would not be triumphing over our enemies repeatedly, battle after battle, day after day, on sovereign Dementlieuse soil and abroad with little to no support of this curious academic pursuit.

So why take after the faulty? The losing? The barbarians whom drug their knuckles from the primordial soup of their realm to stand defiantly, and fall, in the face of Dementlieuse black powder? You tell me, because I can't seem to make heads or tails of it. Pursuit of the arts is laudable, and in many cases, the core essence of our République's founding. Yet, have our studious scholars in the Department of Arcane Sciences and their incessant lectures made heads or tails of our manifest destiny? To protect and ward the Western Core from the depraved desires of our foes? Further yet I ask: is it sustainable, compared to more practical educational pursuits when the matter of national security is in question?

It isn't a secret that it in the pursuit of training young students to command these wild forces, that it they can potentially breed outcasts which are armed with dangerous knowledge and whom of which, may even go on to pursue their curiosities further into immoral studies. I can cite one such incident in which I was present for a lecture on Dementlieuse history, held outdoors, when a student of the Department of Arcane Sciences drunkenly stepped out, and proceeded to conflagrate the display for the lecture. In this process, nearly half a dozen members of the Nobility, several titled, could have been burned severely, and significant damage to the displays were given. When young men such as this dabble in an untested science that's hardly perfected, where can we find safety? Even more curiously, the Université de Dementlieu sought to shelter the man rather than press charges. It is also no secret that it when the Dementlieuse Civil War transpired, radical elements of the Université de Dementlieu defected from their studies to serve in the Solemn Covenant to rise up against this nation. When a man fails to learn about engineering, he isn't a threat to the general public. When a main fails to learn the Arcane Sciences, and is rejected, what safeguards do we have that he will not turn to using his arts for evil? Disastrously, I think it is perhaps the most difficult and costly study to partake in, from materials, to time, investment, and risk to public safety. This is a discussion worth having, in my opinion.

Indeed, if we focused our time and resources more productively on the production of firearms technologies and modern military tactics, Falkovnia would hardly stand for a day or more in my opinion. We should be lauding the successes of bright young minds such as Abernathy O. Gearling in the development of his Gearling Cannon and his revolutionary firearms technologies, and sticking to our strengths. Not diluting our national focus on frivolous pursuits and weakening the whole with the limited resources we have at hand.

Alix Sinclair Martineau,
Dame d'Estellier

ON THE IRRELEVANCY OF THE FOUR TOWERS

The Treaty of the Four Towers is often derided as a relic of a bygone age. Disapproving fingers are pointed at those allies who failed to ride to the rescue of not only an illegitimate government, but the personal stronghold of the dictator responsible for the coup d'état. While perhaps I may have made a different decision in their place, fair accounting of blame must be laid at the doorstep of those who sought to undermine the values upon which the République of Leon was founded, attacking the very foundations of the Four Towers alliance. I speak of the Provisional Government, but also of the cowardly murderers of the Lord-Governor Marcel Guignol and Councilor Josephine Chantreaux. With the restoration of the Conseil d'Éclat ushering in an age of reconstruction and reconcilliation, and assurances of their commitment to the treaty, we may be assured that the Four Towers will stand tall and secure once more.

Writing in early Février, Warden Durand of Ste. Mere des Larmes suggested that the Treaty of Four Towers be opened to the nascent Republic of Gundarak. Not only do I wish to express my wholehearted, unreserved support of this motion, but I suggest furthermore that neither ought we stop there. It is obvious that Vladantilan, too, deserves similar consideration. We may have all turned inward toward deliberation in recent times, but we are blessed by continued opportunities to make a difference.

Monsieur le Vicomte de Orpierre predicted in Décembre that the Principality of Vladantilan's courageous rebellion against the Kingfuhrer would not last longer than a few weeks before falling beneath the brutes' might. My no means do I wish to ridicule the good Vicomte for this, for prognostication is a truly difficult business. He deserves immense credit for having the courage and intellectual honesty to publically stake his bet on the matter. The good Vicomte also raised the valid issue of the risk posed to the grain trade by interfering in such matters abroad.

In both cases, a surprisingly different outcome has been bourne out. With the abrupt cessation of the grain trade along the Prey's Road, the currents of history have seen fit to vindicate la Dame d'Estellier's Décembre call for self-sufficiency, and Monsieur le Baron de Mouisset's earlier words on the folly of appeasement. Meanwhile, Silbervas has seen manumission from the iron-fisted tyranny of the brutes. The fortress at Aerie has also fallen, without allied losses, for which we may credit to the brilliant minds of this République.

In twists of fate we could scarcely have imagined prior, the Kingfuhrer's much vaunted war machine is crumbling, in the face of the hopes and dreams of the free peoples of the world. While much risk yet remains, the Principality of Vladantilan has done the impossible, and demonstrated to us that they are more than a transient uprising. They have gone above and beyond in demonstrating that they are deserving of the support of our Four Towers alliance.

So I urge you, dear readers: let us kindle those embers of hope, and call upon our nations to breathe new life into the Treaty of the Four Towers. Let the Principality of Vladantilan and the Republic of Gundarak make their case for inclusion. Let us revisit the notion of including the nation of Lamordia. Let there be solidarity between all those nations, whether established or struggling for recognition, that share the values of Leon and of the Mordentish people. And let us lay the foundation of new era of justice and prosperity across the Western Core. There will never be a perfect time to take a stand for what one believes, but this present moment yearns for us to take that leap of faith. This is the hour. To support those free peoples who share the spirit of Raison et Liberté, and who yearn to share a harmonious future with us, is to support Dementlieu.

Long Live Gundarak
Glory to Vladantilan
Justice unto tyranny
Vive la République

Mlle. Aidelina Gatteux,
Noble Daughter of Richemulot, and Adoptive Daughter of la République

The opinions expressed in the editorials belong to the authors submitting them and do not necessarily reflect the views of L'Observateur's editors.

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2021, 02:26:00 PM »
L'OBSERVATEUR

[This latest issue of Port-a-Lucine's leading gazette finds itself full of editorials...]

THE SMOTHERING OF REASON: AN END TO SUPERSTITION

Years ago, I famously wrote "The Arcane Illusion"; a book wherein I describe the Department of Arcane Sciences as superstitious bunk dressed up as academia and I stand by my words now; for even though years have passed, if you ask for explanations as to what Lord Balfour de Casteelle's most prized department at an otherwise respectable institution actually does, the answer remains "it is magic" with more flowery, purple prose. I echo the Dame d'Estellier's words; we ought to be focused upon technological breakthroughs like the kind that are made along the Rue des Pistolets by talented engineers or on the works of natural philosophers, not on what is really a novelty at best.

Let us not forget that it was only a few years ago that some foreigner who was a "magician" put on a show for the gentry on the terraces here in Port-a-Lucine; a woman was electrocuted because of this foreigner's carelessness. I proposed, with others, that magicians were registered and this was somehow unacceptable in the minds of Lord Balfour de Casteelle and his hangers-on. So what IS tenable in the minds of this man?

To this end, I am going to suggest to my colleagues at the next meeting of the Council of Brilliance to suspend all funding for the Department of Arcane Sciences at the University of Dementlieu and seeing all future funding for the University properly ear-marked and directed towards academic pursuits that matter. It is time that those who make strides in medicine, natural philosophy, and engineering are given the attention they deserve.

Maitre Wymmer Drukker
Councilor of Public Institutions

A MAGICAL DEFENSE

It was my displeasure yesterday to read a scathing condemnation of my profession in this very editorial. My surprise at the deigning of such an august publication to so much as mention the humble works of we at the University's Arcane Sciences department was matched only by my bafflement at the source of that condemnation: the Dame d'Estellier, Alix Martineau.

It is not difficult for most of us to go without the Arcane Sciences, for a time. Ask the tradesman to do so, and he will perhaps shrug his shoulders, for he may no longer spend his surplus wages at street magicians' shows. Ask the nobleman to do so, and he may groan at having to dismiss the house arcanists, and thus rob himself of the occasional domestic glamer, or of his favorite ever-burning fireplace or all-seasons icebox. Bring the same demand to the field officer, however, and enjoy an entirely different response:

See how the thought of forgoing any Arcane advisory makes him sweat as he hasn't since his days as a recruit. Watch the sudden shuffling of ranks, as he pushes the company's Transmuter into the safety of anonymity. For the sudden nervous grasping he makes toward his breastplate, which Arcane toil and hard-earned coin etched with protective magics he suddenly must attribute to "luck". If one is particularly cruel, they might further attack the officer's nerves by reminding him that the enemy has not disposed of their Arcanists. At this, the soldier knows his chances of victory have plummeted. His fortifications are no longer proof against bombardment, his intelligence is no longer trustworthy, his ranks are no guarantor of security now that foreign agents can walk among the camps with impunity, clad in nothing more than black leathers and glamers so laughably mild as to be considered mere stagecraft at any other hour, under any other circumstance.

This protracted thought experiment, readers will note, has never been undertaken in reality (to my limited knowledge, at least not in Dementlieu). If the Dame d'Estellier is suggesting we begin, though, I might advise she start by divesting her Phoenix Company of its various arcanists, and kindly return any and all equipment augmented by my good colleague Professor Acursius's enchanting device. I'm sure Abernathy Gearling (whom Martineau professed admiration for) would understand if we were to dispose of all of his "Amazing Enchanted" pistols; they may be among the most popular firearms he stocks at his storefront, but surely they would be precisely as beloved were they stripped of the augmentation our Arcane Sciences department lent them during their development.

To approach a conclusion, I've asked myself where precisely Martineau's sudden convictions come from. Being, herself, an arcanist, who has employed arcanists (including myself, more than once) in her many businesses, and continues this to the time of writing. Perhaps the Martineau Maritime Acquisitions and Shipping Concern has agreed to ferry Lamordian principles into the Republique in exchange for a shipment of rifles. After all, our Lamordian peers are already well familiar with this entire discussion, and enlightened anti-magical attitudes creep frequently over our northern border from that country. I'm sure it is a matter of grave importance and consternation in that country that the superior Lamordian armaments purchased by the Falkovnian horde are so often frustrated by strange, Dementlieuse witchcraft. Surely business would boom if Dementlieu would just give it up.

Professor Marcus Weyland,
Bureau 202,
Arcane Sciences,
University of Dementlieu

SUPPORT GUNDARAK AND STRENGTHEN THE FALKOVNIANS

It is with great dismay that I continue to read wildly optimistic ravings about military adventurism in Barovia in this paper. Have the readers of l'Observateur forgotten a simple truth of statesmanship: that our enemies can also make alliances?

Dementlieu is bound by duty and honor to protect our Treaty allies. The great beast that threatens us is Falkovnia. The Invidian lapdog is held in check by our brave Borcan friends. Yet it is they who would also have to bear the brunt of Barovian aggression earned by our antagonism of Count Strahd XI.

Gundarak is not Vladantilan, which concerns only Treaty signatories and Falkovnia. Were the Gundarak plight solely against Invidia, Gundarak's champions might have a point to their desire to include the Gundarakites into the Treaty. But, as Warden Durand accurately observed, their fight is also with the ruler of Barovia. Ally with them, and we drive Barovia into the arms of the Falkovnian-Invidian alliance, cementing their threat. Are we really helping to secure our Borcan friends when we multiply the threats on their borders? Perhaps we should ask the Borcans how they feel about this matter before championing a cause that may well be against their best interests.

Support Gundarak if you wish. Nobody questions the morality of it. But don't misrepresent the sacrifices it will require, not just from Dementlieu, but from our allies, also. Naivety can poison a noble undertaking as surely as sin.

M. Hervé Pierre Durand

THE LANTERN ACADEMY: A DANGEROUS SCAM

The Arcane Sciences have been an important part of the University of Dementlieu for many years. Their studies have helped further our Republic and protect us against the dangers the Radiant Tower’s arcanist pose to us.  While some might disagree about the usefulness of that type of science, I believe it would leave us more vulnerable to the enemies of the Republic if such research were to be stopped. What concerns me however is the sudden appearance of groups who want to pursue this research outside of the boundaries of the University.

One particular group, the Lantern Academy, has been starting to put out advertisements in the city, to try and attract instructors, researchers, students and archivists. Placating the lamp posts, noticeboards and trees around city, they are welcoming within their organisation anyone who uses the arcane and in good standing with the Republique of Dementlieu. Anyone is important here, as one Jaenin Fearshby, was quite happy to mention how both learned scholars and “blooded” mages, arcanists who draw magic from their blood instead of learning it from books, would be quite happily welcomed within the ranks. I do not believe in the need of explicating the dangers the “blooded” mages pose to those around them, and how troublesome it is that such people would be offer training. With the threat the Falkovnians currently pose on us, this seems like a way to train a certain group of dangerous individuals who could destroy us from within.

Furthermore, the creators of the said Academy are also a cause of concern to me. What do we know about the people who are named in the flyers? Of the six names mentioned, only one is a citizen of the Republique. Madame Blake de la Rochenoire, a citizen of a few weeks, after her wedding to Anatole de la Rochenoire. Even more concerning, only four the people mentioned took classes at the University, and none with great success. One of them failed to advance to the second year of study, while the three others barely had a passing score. Are those the type of people we want teaching and training our youth?

All those concerns bring up the following question: With those facts in mind, how could the Gendarmerie and the University of Dementlieu give their blessings to such an academy? Who will be the blame for the inevitable mistakes and repercussions of such an academy? Should we stop them now, before someone get hurt, or even worst, killed? I think the answer is quite simple.

Gabriel d’Aubry,
Son to Jacques d’Aubry, Baron de Felcourt

ON THE IMPORTANCE OF THE ARCANE TO THE DEMENTLIEUSE MILITARY

Recently the Dame d’Estellier, wrote an article saying that we should abandon the scientific progress within the Arcane Sciences and neglect this field of science entirely for just gunpowder. While I agree with the focus on improving our engineering knowledge, I strongly disagree that we need to drop the scientific study of the arcane. It is also a notion I find strange considering she employs arcanists but also has some understanding of the arcane sciences as well.

This is not to say that one should ignore advancements in other fields such as engineering and alchemy as to how to improve our firearms, we absolutely should. They are the linchpin of our armies and why they are the most advanced in the Core. Lives have been saved and battles won thanks to the Arcane Sciences. From improving our weapons to warding our soldiers to improve the arms and armor of our brave men and women, to improving our supply lines this field of science has proven itself time and time again in battle. To ignore its usages in defending our republic is to ignore it to our detriment.

In war, there is the term of combined arms. From lines of musketeers to skirmishers, to artillerists, to cavalry, to Arcanists, a successful commander knows how to use all these forces. She mentions the fact that arcanists joined the Covenant as a reason to drop the arcane sciences, but what about the artillerists, the cavalry, the musketeers who all joined them? Should we get rid of our cannons, our horses, our muskets? We should not, and neither should we get rid of our arcanists.

It is through the use of combined arms that battles are won when they are utilized together, this spirit of cooperation is easily applied to the fields of Engineering and the Arcane. Take the ever present threat of a pistol or musket backfiring in battle, the arcane sciences can be used to mitigate the numbing feeling upon one’s fingers to negate the heat when the fizzen explodes right in front of you. In the heat of battle this can be the difference between life and death for our soldiers. From preparing the spells in advance to weaving the enchantments into the muskets and pistols themselves, the fields of engineering and arcane compliment each other.

We should advance every field of science be it the engineering necessary for guns and the understanding of the Arcane. All are necessary for the armies of the serene republic. We would not go to war without trained musketeers, and likewise we should not go without Arcanists. When we fight in war it is to defend the republic and her people, and the usages of the arcane sciences should not be neglected when protecting our people. every field of science must be advanced to ensure the serenity of our republic.

Mlle. Yvette Sallembier

We have finally received a few applicants interested in writing or editing L'Observateur; our offices hope to contact them soon and see them brought on board and made a part of this illustrious and respected publication. Expect to be introduced to them, soon.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 02:29:20 PM by Dread »

Elyan

• Undead Master
« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2021, 05:38:08 AM »
L'OBSERVATEUR

AN ELABORATION: THE MATTERS AND PLACES OF THE ARCANE SCIENCES IN MODERN DEMENTLIEU

It is with great pride I take the time to read the words of those who would offer spirited, if perhaps hyperbolic rebuttal to my previous article, "DEMENTLIEU IN FOCUS: A NATION'S DIRECTION," and to understand the opinions and perspectives of individuals whom of which partake directly into these professions. To this, I offer elaboration and clarity precisely into the message I send.

To understand the basis of my article, one must understand the method and ways in which our benevolent République's military is structured. The majority of the military is risen, from the bulk of the Noble Orders of this République, men who marched under their own banners and whose sons lead levymen, armed with musket and pike, to fend off invading foes. These forces are, entirely, raised from the private funds of land-owning, titled Nobility who are responsible for maintaining a defensive force. It is among the many burdens of their duties to this Sereine République, and has no bearing on the utilization of national soldiers and tax expenditure from the Gendarmerie Nationale, whom of which is the only national force to receive funding from the taxes the vaunted aristocracy pays, as well as every commoner and foreign denizen who lives within our République.

Of these men, the Université de Dementlieu's glamours and projects effect little, sans those Households who should choose to invest large sums of their own into training men and women to study the Arcane Sciences. However, this is not financially practical. The overinvestment of excessive equipment and studies, training, and so forth into men and women were ousted from modern military doctrines by the invention of the firearm, which, I can state plainly in my own field experience, has slain more than a few Arcane Scholars, with tinctures of herbal nature and my own abilities -- Of a Bardic nature -- which relied on artform, rather than rigorous and expensive study. More frequently than not, it is a member of the Household themselves who may go to this Université to study, from a Household which maintains a lengthy tradition of such a thing. A service which would remain uninterrupted through privatization of the studies.

Among national forces, such as the Gendarmerie Nationale, there is no record of sanctioned and broadly utilized "Wizards," within their ranks. There are informal utilizations of Gendarmes, such as Cpl. Yvette Sallembier, whom of which have been required to prove themselves without the aid of magic to function and perform their duties.

So in rebuttal to the good Professeur Marcus Weyland's words, the broad majority of the Dementlieuse military does not benefit from the Department of Arcane Sciences in any way, shape, or form, save for the rare individual who has privately invested in the utilization of materials only the richest can afford. Indeed, you may ask any Gendarme in Dementlieu, if their standard-issue equipment has been touched by Dweomercrafters or if they are, by any official order, to be supported by one trained in the Arcane Sciences. However, to the contrary of this, whilst I cannot recall any incidents in which during my tenure as a Gendarme we were instructed to rely upon the Arcane Sciences in any way, shape, or form? I can clearly recall condemnation of Arcane Scholars who utilized the fruits of their studies and recklessly endangered the lives of Dementlieuse Citizens.

There is no underlying motivation for my article's writing, other than perhaps a serious consideration as to the relevance of what has worked and what has not over time. The Good Professeur's candor would be taken more lightly, were it not devoid of some logic. That a nation such as Falkovnia, which invests nationally far more into their Arcane Sciences program than we, Dementlieuse, can regularly foiled by superstition for the very alchemical powder their KingFürher distrusts irrationally. Even the infamous Raptor Knights of Vlad Drakov have attempted to reinforce their armor to stop a Dementlieuse bullet, and have failed to do so spectacularly. It is not Dementlieuse "witchcraft" which has vexed the servants of Vlad Drakov these many years, it has been flintlock mechanism. Furthermore, I support wholly the investment of internal research of firearms development which could permit our République to rival the quality of Lamoridan firearms, if not surpass them.

I believe there is a place for the investment of private funding into academies and the pursuits of the Arcane Sciences, however I remain both moved by the Councilor of Public Institutions' echoing of my words, and in concurrence of his own words. If there is a desire to encourage this study, in a manner of which shall benefit primarily private citizens and not the République as a whole, there are better places in which funding can be found than from the national budget. Perhaps, furthermore, the matter of regulatory oversight should be taken into hand to ensure that the actions of these bodies do not recklessly endanger Dementlieuse lives through malpractice and negligence. Thus far, the only palpable tool of the Université de Dementlieu's studies has been that of a weaponized siege device which has, much to the chagrin of many, been given freely to a foreign body not yet even authorized to receive a diplomatic envoy. That hardly seems patriotic, now does it?

Alix Sinclair Martineau
Dame d'Estellier

HAREBELL HALL: WHAT ARE THEY REALLY?

Rejoice! Harebell Hall is in Port-a-Lucine and is now open for business! For those who think that our craftsman aren’t talented enough, you now have another option to spend your solars! You can now give work to outlander elves and dwarves, instead of spending your solars in a way that will benefit men and women from Dementlieu.

What do we know about those behind the Harebell Hall? Even if they seem to have hundreds of notices placed everywhere in the city, only one name is visible on them: Serina Rhea. Isn’t the title she gives herself quite misleading? “Master Enchantress”. I must be a self-given title, as I doubt anyone within the Arcane Science department at the University would give such a title to someone who can barely get a passing grade in their final exams. Perhaps it is a title she had given herself for her position within the Lantern Academy? Which isn’t much better, considering their reputation with blooded mages… I fear that citizens of our fair Republique might be misleaded by the promises of these notices.

Furthermore, do we have any idea what is happening behind those closed doors? Whether it be behind the doors of the Penthouse at the Hotel Governor, or the doors of the Harebell Hall itself, what dangerous acts are they performing? I say dangerous because I cannot think of any other word to describe the use of “archmage brains”. This isn’t any mistake. They are indeed advertising their need for brains, for experiments. Which also brings the question about what is an archmage brain? Are they looking for any human brain? Are the citizens on Port-a-Lucine in danger? It goes unnoticed most of the time, as it is written at the bottom of their notices, but upon further inspection, you can see it is present on all their notices, even those has old has three months. Now, I can understand students and professors at the University needing brains for their studies, but a group of crafters? What insane experiments are they performing? I believe we have a right to demand answers when outlanders to our Republique come to disrupt our way of life.

For the readers who might be sceptical, I encourage them to keep an eye on the type of people who are seen coming in and out of the Penthouse, currently being rented by none other than Serina Rhea, and the locals of Harebell Hall itself. Elves, dwarves and even creatures with horns and tails are the most common visitors.

With the Lantern Academy trying to gain influence and a place in the political landscape, and the experiments conducted by Harebell Hall, I fear our culture and way of life may be in danger to drastically change for the worst.

Gabriel d’Aubry
Son of Jacques d’Aubry, Baron de Felcourt.

THE LOOMING FOOD CRISIS & HOW TO COMBAT IT

The republic stands at a crossroads, the grain from Falkovnia has dried up and no supplies come into the republic. This presents a major crisis for our republic, if left untreated this crisis will explode into a disaster that will harm all of our people, noble and commoner alike. If the talons of famine grip our nation it will destroy our serenity, the talons will strike at both the nobility and the poor. It would leave us prey for plagues, and weaken us should Falkovnia strike again.

Doing nothing will lead to this disaster, doing nothing only benefits the Hawks in Falkovnia. We know that this crisis awaits us and what it means if it is left unaddressed and as such we should address it headfirst. Addressing it now lets us solve it before it becomes a danger to our serene republic. Addressing it now also gives us a rare opportunity to orient ourselves away from Drakov's grain. We should not be reliant upon the grain of our sworn enemy. To address this a Four point plan should be supported and enacted.

First, we should seek new trade partners. There are many nations in the core and beyond that trade in grain besides the vile hawks, we should seek them out and send trade envoys to them. The success of Vladalantin in liberating Silbervas makes them a worthy consideration, as does the republic of Gundarak, along with Lamordia, Ghastria, Kartakass and the kingdom of Darkon, just to name some other possible countries. However we should not stop at the nations of the Core. The lands of Souragne, Rokushima Taiyoo, and Sri Raji to name just three lands that we should send trade representatives to.

Second, I believe that it should be encouraged for people within the capital to grow their own gardens. There are a number of greenspaces throughout the city that can be used to grow food for the city and for one’s household. These do not have to be large gardens, small gardens done by everyone in the capital and major cities would greatly contribute here. For the Ouvrie, some of the rubble around squares could be turned into local community gardens while in the Savant, we should encourage gentry to use their greenspaces.

Third is that we should expand our own food and farms, be they small family farms or grand estates. This is especially true for the land along the Musarde, which tends to be the most fertile of the land in the republic. It should be encouraged for big and small farms alike to grow grain where they can. In the lands that can grow grain, it should be encouraged to grow our own grain and other crops.

Fourth but not least, is the fact that we are a coastal nation. The capital of our Serene Republic is port after all, and thus we should use this to our advantage. We should expand our merchant marine, we should support fishing companies to fish along the Sea of Sorrows, as well as the villages and estates along the Musarde and the Jewel boxes. Seafood is plentiful in the sea of sorrows and it should help supplement our food along with crops.

None of these points alone will be enough. This is a crisis that requires a manifold response, no single solution will be the magic bullet that brings us victory here, but together this plan will work together to destroy the talons of famine and ensure that our republic enjoys her serenity. This might also make it so that we never have to be tied to the hawks of Falkovnia ever again.

Yvette Sallembier

RETURNING TO OUR ROOTS?

A man is his own star. A man ought to see the radiance of his mind from inside the soul. He should not look to those who shine brighter around him and look to his works. A man that seeks to be warm must know how to light a flame. Man has always existed to form community, but civilization grew beyond hamlets and villages into the grey. These communities became those not of kindred, but of strangers who walk over one another. Survival skills disappeared and communal interests have given way to jealousy and envy. Society is stratified shown by the difference in status and wealth with those of plenty and others of scarcity. Generations pass and the knowledge of those before us fade away from memory. The penniless look to those who have abundance with envy in their hearts and their inner brightness dimmed.

Those born without means have not the tools to sustain themselves without seeking scraps from above or cannibalizing themselves in the form of gangs. In the state of nature, man can learn to harness the resources of the world around him. Those born in the city know not the skills their ancestors brought them into the city. While some have adapted through antisocial methods of theft or robbery in the Ouvrier and Marchand, the majority are prey to the few who take from others who share in their scarcity. Some would argue for more equitable conditions for the masses. Others would say those of plenty have too much. But, perhaps, the City of Lights as the largest civilized center in the Core is simply too large for a people not meant to be living between grey walls and dreary cobblestone streets.

Before the advent of the grey, what became of the radiance before? The knowledge of man’s ancestors slips like sand through a hand; lost and forgotten. The beggar sits idle, ignorant, and lost. It is no wonder the young envy and takes what they do not have. Those before us in the time before the grey taught cultivation, hunting, fishing, and necessary skills for their survival and the foundation of thriving hamlets that feed the burgeoning urban-dwelling populace. In the time of little and food is scarce, despair will rise, and it is no more felt and visible than in a city of plenty. Beggars line the streets, without skills passed down so they may survive. Those with little are inclined to anti-social tendencies against the city’s social fabric and the social contract of peacefully dwelling in the grey.

It is perhaps time for those who cannot thrive in the grey’s narrow corridors to return to the open spaces of the country and re-light the fire of knowledge intending to the land and living off its bounty. The more farmers, fishers, herders, and hunters that cultivate the land the healthier Dementlieu shall be in both body and spirit. It is the duty of those who know to share with those who do not. Let us reduce suffering by lifting a helping hand and teach those how to survive as we once did, so that more may, in turn, feed us with the skill of their hands in producing for society. War and revolution may be popular ideas, but death and suffering might reduce the mouths to feed, but does nothing to build the foundations of a better tomorrow. For the future of the Core, let us see a return to our roots and see a return to the country and harmony with the land.

Creighton Norville

ALDOUS HARGREAVES: LAWYER TURNED CELEBRITY

Many lives were changed following the case that's been dubbed as 'The Trial of the Century' with Monsieur Hargreaves becoming somewhat of a celebrity around the Republique ever since. Today I bring you an exclusive interview with insight into the infamous lawyers life as well as his thoughts and opinions on recent topics of debate.

How has fame changed your life?
"Being known, is both a boon and a difficulty. The surge in work has been welcome, many doors have opened, though sometimes I miss the quiet of being less known."

What influenced you to represent the Courteney sisters?
"No one else would, at the time. They had had an exceedingly difficult time securing representation and one of the aspects of the Republique I love so dearly is that every citizen, is afforded a fair and just trial."

Some have expressed concerns over the legitimacy of the Lantern Academy's practices, from a legal stand-point do you think they're here to stay?
"No, I do not. Legally they have already stepped into difficult territory presenting themselves as an accredited institution. While they may have the support of the Gendarmerie, and that claim is currently contested, the Gendarme Nationale cannot accredit anyone. At best it is the ego-project of some disgruntled students who did not score as highly as they wished upon their exams. At worst, it is a litigious nightmare for its organisers, and, if they do endorse it, the Gendarmerie, who would find themselves liable for the Academy's actions."

If this Academy were to grow roots here in the Republique, what effect do you think this could have on the impressionable youth? Some might turn down a proper education at the university to pursue studies there?
"I would hope the youth would see we already have, in my opinion, the greatest Arcane Sciences department in the Core. Open to everyone, citizen or no. - As for effects, I think the lackadaisical approach in avoiding an accredited institution could, quite possibly lead to a degradation in the respect given to the Arcane Sciences and its practitioners."

What are your thoughts on the recent advertisements for 'Archmage Brains'?
"I suggest we warn Professor Weyland immediately, lest his head is cracked open like an egg. - Though, I should not jest, it is deeply disturbing that we have allowed the requisition of human remains to unlicensed individuals for so long. What is next? A call for Ezrite Warden Livers?"

The recent food crisis continues to go unsolved, do you have any thoughts on how we might combat this crisis and get food on the table?
"Ah this is a problem that has been tackled by far wiser men and women then I. I only hope a fine solution comes to us in time, until then I know Madame Clemenceau of the Red Vardo Traders is working diligently to bring food to the people in need."

Many of Monsieur Hargreaves' answers might come across as controversial, though promising. His respect for the law and everyone's right to a just trial sets the bar for other legal practitioners of Dementlieu. Walking away from this interview one thing was on my mind; is it time to turn to Madame Clemenceau for the answer to this grain shortage?

Mlle. Heloise Gatteux
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 01:59:39 PM by Elyan »