You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Curse song: Suggestions  (Read 1999 times)

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
  • Shadow calls... shadow whispers...
Curse song: Suggestions
« on: September 06, 2010, 04:59:00 PM »
Two suggestions about curse song.

A) Curse song must and should break invisibility. Not because you can farm infinite rats that way, but because it is a hostile action.

B) Bard song (along with divine might and divine shield) in our server count as free actions instead of standard actions. That's probably one of the reasons they are so much more powerfull in our server. By the same token, shouldn't curse song be a free action as well? (the effects do not stack anyway, so it's not like you could kill someone by spamming it).
Has been described as a sometimey player

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
Re: Curse song: Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 07:04:04 PM »
Two suggestions about curse song.

A) Curse song must and should break invisibility. Not because you can farm infinite rats that way, but because it is a hostile action.

B) Bard song (along with divine might and divine shield) in our server count as free actions instead of standard actions. That's probably one of the reasons they are so much more powerfull in our server. By the same token, shouldn't curse song be a free action as well? (the effects do not stack anyway, so it's not like you could kill someone by spamming it).

A) Agreed. It doesn't make much sense someone singing and remainingi invisible. On the other hand: casting spells other than in yourself also breaks invisibility?

B) Agreed again. If bard song is a free action, curse song should be too.
Noignar Huillen: Ilmater Cleric.
Hedien Gine: Arrow and Bow Artist.
Dolin Schneim: Dwarven Soldier

Minstrel

• Official Mascot of the
  • Dark Power
  • Cat in the Hat
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 07:44:41 PM »
It it were a free action, could it be spammed repeatedly without consequence?

That seems like a really, really bad idea.

Say, a level 16 Bard. His curse song does 20 points of damage.

At that level, with Extra Music, he can use it 20 times.

This means that in terms of 'FIRE EVERYTHING' damage ( As in, PvP and boss fights ) a level 16 bard can blow out his 15-minutely allotment of Bard Song to do 400 sonic damage to everything in the radius (For comparison, that's around the HP a level 22 Dwarven Barbarian with 20 Con and Toughness would have. A Cleric with Energy Buffer wouldn't have a chance.). And he'd still have all his combat ability from other skills (bards are quite strong here without even taking Song into account). On top of that, any survivor is Cursed.

(Oh, and a level 20 would have 672 damage, if you were wondering)

This is without a save, on everyone in the area. It makes Maximised IGMS look like a ray of frost.

With freely spammable Curse Song, a high level bard could stand in the center of the highest level PC's on the server, set them all hostile, and kill them all with his singing in one round. And that goes against our rules of making characters in the form of real-world celebrities (in this case, David Bowie)

A good meet-in-the-middle would probably be to give it a cooldown. Free action would be fine, if you could only cast it every 10 rounds (Almost any bard making use of Curse Song will have Lingering Music, I'd imagine)

tl:dr: It would cause someone to spurt out a Limerick so meaningful that everyone in earshot utterly loses the will to live, and their heads explode.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 08:01:46 PM by Minstrel »

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 07:55:37 PM »
It it were a free action, could it be spammed repeatedly without consequence?

That seems like a really, really bad idea.

Say, a level 16 Bard. His curse song does 20 points of damage.

At that level, with Extra Music, he can use it 20 times.

This means that in terms of 'FIRE EVERYTHING' damage ( As in, PvP and boss fights ) a level 16 bard can blow out his 15-minutely allotment of Bard Song to do 400 sonic damage to everything in the radius. And he'd still have all his combat ability from other skills (bards are quite strong here without even taking Song into account). On top of that, any survivor is Cursed.

A good meet-in-the-middle would probably be to give it a cooldown. Free action would be fine, if you could only cast it every 10 rounds (Almost any bard making use of Curse Song will have Lingering Music, I'd imagine)

That's not how Curse Song works. At least, with my bard, your curse song has no effect in a creature already affected.

Being a free action would allow people to simply waste all the uses for the song without any more utility.

IF Bard Song were a free action we just would be able to use it without having to disengage from combat, for instance.

Minstrel

• Official Mascot of the
  • Dark Power
  • Cat in the Hat
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 08:03:30 PM »
That's not how Curse Song works. At least, with my bard, your curse song has no effect in a creature already affected.

Is it possible for you to test it? The debuffs don't stack, that I'm mostly sure of, but I'm pretty sure the damage would occur every time you cast it.

You'll need to be level 8 Bard at least for the damage to kick in.

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 08:38:52 PM »

Is it possible for you to test it? The debuffs don't stack, that I'm mostly sure of, but I'm pretty sure the damage would occur every time you cast it.

You'll need to be level 8 Bard at least for the damage to kick in.

Tested. And it is just like I said: Hedien is a level 8 bard, spammed almost 5 Curse Songs on two Juju Zombies and just the first one caused damage.

Curse song doesn't work while the enemy is still under its effects.

Thus, there's no reason to not make it a free action just like Bard Song.

Minstrel

• Official Mascot of the
  • Dark Power
  • Cat in the Hat
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 06:57:01 AM »
Tested. And it is just like I said: Hedien is a level 8 bard, spammed almost 5 Curse Songs on two Juju Zombies and just the first one caused damage.

Curse song doesn't work while the enemy is still under its effects.

Thus, there's no reason to not make it a free action just like Bard Song.

I take it all back then, see no reason not to have it changed in that case.

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
  • Shadow calls... shadow whispers...
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 10:08:09 AM »
What Anarcoplayba said. It's also that the proper bard song doesn't stack or improve while one is under the effects (which kinda makes a party of bards mechanic wise crap :p)
Has been described as a sometimey player