You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Incoming System: Risk of impaired corpse upon death.  (Read 22839 times)

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
Incoming System: Risk of impaired corpse upon death.
« on: August 31, 2010, 12:51:18 PM »
As per next update, we will have a new experimental feature that entails a risk of an impaired corpse upon death if dying by large amounts of damage. Such a corpse cannot be raised by regular raise dead, but needs resurrection instead (as per DnD rules).

The reasoning for this change is meet the concern that death is too trivial, while still not hurting the lower levels (given that they more rarily die by extreme damage).

In effect, it works by a fortitude check of a DC equal to each hit point you drop below -10 on dying.

Please discuss. :)

darkravenkin

• Undead Master
Re: Incoming System: Risk of impaired corpse upon death.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 01:12:21 PM »
This will make things much more interesting. I look forward to seeing how it works.

Arik Donovich - He has found a home, but it has become a prison for him.
Gargain Kernsonn - Ex loyal guard
Laylynn Ravenkin - One personality dead, only two more and I rule alone.

Dhark

• Dark Power
  • Ladul !
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 02:57:00 PM »
Very nice Idea , I hope it is weighted toward negative energy possibly ?  Could give rise to some interesting mutations & nice perk for some of the MPCs

mayvind

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 04:57:14 PM »
Awesome, make people fear death even more ! .... hmm maybe i should stop soloing though !  :lol:

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 04:59:57 PM »
I'll DEFINITIVELY solo less.

AND I'll start charging for Ressurrections :)
Noignar Huillen: Ilmater Cleric.
Hedien Gine: Arrow and Bow Artist.
Dolin Schneim: Dwarven Soldier

Time_Stomped

• Undead Master
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 05:06:13 PM »
I think some lowbies are going to need resurrections/respawns due to getting greataxe critical by the bane of them as we know it, the skeleton warrior.  I guess that means less suicidal charging out.

Working as intended?

Don't know about higher level summons though, they tend to munch NOM NOM any unprepared character with power attacks and tend to not provoke NPC reactions if they chase people running to them.
Istavan Donner

Kendric98

• Dark Power
  • Omnipotent Overlord of the Omniverse!
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 12:37:39 AM »
I read in anouther thread that the zombie skin needs changed to a zombie becuse as of now the undead look like mini kaynes.

Samson/Tatyanna Costella

stephaniedarkrose

• New to the Mists
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 02:17:33 AM »
Please tell me your joking right? Who says death on this server is too Trivial? Because I can assure you I have NEVER thought of Death on this server as trivial.

I need to know just how big a damage jump is required for this to activate? Can a Boar's activate it? Would it have to take a Level 2 taking a full charged Lightning bolt from 20+ to activate it?

This seems abit excessive given the Animate Undead script....

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 02:23:23 AM »
you might be one of the good ones, but allot of people show absolutely no respect for death, or fear of it for that matter. Its just a small hurdle for them

stephaniedarkrose

• New to the Mists
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 02:57:05 AM »
Yeah...I'm terrified of Death on this server. I did'nt go anywhere but hunting minks in the Outskirts until level four.    :lol:

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 07:14:08 AM »
What has to happen is that your HP drop below -10. This means that death from bleeding out (which is the most frequent death at lower levels) won't trigger this effect.

If you do drop below -10, it'll trigger a fortitude check with a DC equalling to how much you are below -10, e.g., if you drop instantly to -15, it'll be a DC 5 fortitude check, while -30 is a DC 20 fortitude check. These are just initial numbers however, and we might revise them at later as feedback is received.

Aahz

• Dark Power
  • People don't like to be meddled with.
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2010, 10:41:47 AM »
you might be one of the good ones, but allot of people show absolutely no respect for death, or fear of it for that matter. Its just a small hurdle for them

Yeah, got to love punishing everyone for the actions of a few... Can't possibly enjoy your yourself because someone else is not conforming to your standards. I definitely see a pattern here.
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

Strigoi

• Vampire Extraordinaire
  • Dark Power
  • i never drink vine...
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 10:46:23 AM »
it only punishes the ones that die frequently. which seems appropriate really.

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2010, 10:50:07 AM »
And, come on: a Fortitude check of 10, for instance (what means you took more than 20 of damage) is quaite easy for a level 10 overcome.

stephaniedarkrose

• New to the Mists
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2010, 08:20:38 PM »
I don't have a level 10....

Aahz

• Dark Power
  • People don't like to be meddled with.
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2010, 10:33:53 PM »
it only punishes the ones that die frequently. which seems appropriate really.

It does not only punish the ones that die frequently. It demotivates others from taking risks because they do not want to be hassled by the new system.
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2010, 12:03:54 PM »

Then I suggest you to avoid monsters that give more than 20 of damage with a single hit and traps.

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2010, 01:15:45 PM »

Then I suggest you to avoid monsters that give more than 20 of damage with a single hit and traps.

skeleton warrior critical hit damage of 44
juju zombie critical hit damage of 22
i think even beetles can perform that kind of damage, well at least the fiery mother beetles, on a critical if you add the fire damage as well....

suggestion: stay away from every place?....:(
and hope you get to level 10 via rp xp?....:(

Welll... I admit: you're right.

stephaniedarkrose

• New to the Mists
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2010, 03:19:34 PM »
Boars can do 22 too. In case you can't tell Boars waiting at Transitions have killed more of my charecters then anything else :D

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2010, 08:01:17 PM »

Yeah, got to love punishing everyone for the actions of a few... Can't possibly enjoy your yourself because someone else is not conforming to your standards. I definitely see a pattern here.

Please don't fuel the paranoia. We aren't stupid, secretly plotting things behind your back, or otherwise.

Boars can do 22 too. In case you can't tell Boars waiting at Transitions have killed more of my charecters then anything else :D

Clearly, it entails an added risk that affects low levels too. But even with 44 max damage, you'd have the more realistic count be about 30-35. Add to that, such a critical may bring you down if your HP is within that same range, and it'll only be really dangerous if your HP is below 10 at the time you get hit (in other words, death by crit would only be dangerous in this context about a third of the times). This'll entail a fortitude check with a DC 10-15, that even low levels would have atleast about 50% chance to pass. All that added together, a badly impaired corpse from dying fighting skeleton warriors would happen, but still be rare.

We're not above discussing if the values are to be tweaked etc., but the principle of this way of implementing it is in fact deliberately to generate more respect for dying by adding a jeopardizing factor that intensifies the experience without just flat out making it more of a chore/penalty.

(No matter what, I think I'll hand the skeleton warrior a great sword instead of the great axe though... ;) )

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2010, 05:39:56 PM »
Monsters have normal Odds for Crits.  It's just that their Die Roller only generates the numbers 19-20.

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

• Dark Power
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2010, 03:12:26 AM »
So this also affects PVP if you get crited correct?

“In brightest day, in blackest night,
No evil shall escape my sight
Let those who worship evil’s might,
Beware my power… Green Lantern’s light!”

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2010, 03:36:47 AM »
So this also affects PVP if you get crited correct?

Yeah.

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2010, 04:24:47 AM »
I think there is a typo in the math for the script.  I killed a guy with a hit for 58 damage, his DC was 68, not 48.  Though that's still a little high.  No one's going to make that save, and 58 isn't high on the damage scale.

Thoraion

• Undead Master
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2010, 06:18:21 AM »

I am still waiting for my clairvoyance upgrade, so i am in the unhappy situation to know that only after it has happened.
There is even a rumor that the damage capacity of, say, traps depends on the spawn.

As for crit chances... they are not random. From what i saw, the random-system has tides.
Call it an exploit, but if i roll 2 critical failures in a row, i take a five minute break - because chances are good that the coming 10 results will be horribly bad as well. If i roll one critical success, there are often 5 more in the next 7 rolls.

As for the maiming system... the foremost result i see there are two:
  • piling bodies in the temple because the resurrection-fee is not affordable any more.
  • even more frustration due to monsters that don't stopp attacking once you're already down and bleeding

The former i already see. The latter i see coming, because that's my usual way of dying.
Currently playing:
no characters, will eventually be back

Characters in stock:
- Darian Eisenhand        - Ansgar "Frettchen" Ostvent
- Thorben Eibenfinder    - Einar Falkensang