Author Topic: Incoming System: Risk of raised rising as undead  (Read 13849 times)

hugolino

• Dark Lord
Re: Incoming System: Risk of raised rising as undead
« Reply #75 on: October 15, 2010, 02:55:33 AM »
Returning to the original topic of the thread: I was reading the most recent Ravenloft rules provided on the Fraternity of Shadows Web site and they had this paragraph regarding the raising of the dead.

RAISING DEAD

The dead do not rest easy in the Mists and souls that have passed beyond are not easily reachable, except through the most powerful of magics.

In Ravenloft, the Raise Dead ritual requires a Heal or Religion check. If someone is partially raised (the ritual is complete but die as a result of the check) they return as an undead of equal level to the character.

I understand that Fraternity of Shadows is a fan site and not canon, but does the description match what is happening on PotM (a Heal check when making Raise Dead attempts) or is it just a percentage chance per attempt to revive the dead? I also notice it only makes reference to the Raise Dead spell and not to the Resurrection spell.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 03:04:19 AM by hugolino »

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #76 on: October 15, 2010, 04:41:42 AM »
I think the best compromise might be to divide it between the caster and the target somehow. Will look at it :)

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #77 on: October 15, 2010, 08:57:54 AM »
Returning to the original topic of the thread: I was reading the most recent Ravenloft rules provided on the Fraternity of Shadows Web site and they had this paragraph regarding the raising of the dead.

RAISING DEAD

The dead do not rest easy in the Mists and souls that have passed beyond are not easily reachable, except through the most powerful of magics.

In Ravenloft, the Raise Dead ritual requires a Heal or Religion check. If someone is partially raised (the ritual is complete but die as a result of the check) they return as an undead of equal level to the character.

I understand that Fraternity of Shadows is a fan site and not canon, but does the description match what is happening on PotM (a Heal check when making Raise Dead attempts) or is it just a percentage chance per attempt to revive the dead? I also notice it only makes reference to the Raise Dead spell and not to the Resurrection spell.

It will have to allow a remake because, frankly, Heal is useless in the server as it is now.
Noignar Huillen: Ilmater Cleric.
Hedien Gine: Arrow and Bow Artist.
Dolin Schneim: Dwarven Soldier

hugolino

• Dark Lord
« Reply #78 on: October 15, 2010, 09:02:58 AM »
RAISING DEAD

It will have to allow a remake because, frankly, Heal is useless in the server as it is now.

That sounds reasonable. The plus side (if combined with the existing system instead of replacing it) is that it would allow clerics dedicated more to the healing arts a way to mitigate the chance of creating undead, while giving those who enjoy creating undead the option not to bother trying to prevent it. The previously mentioned house rules on hallowed ground and dark powers would still be factors of course.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 09:11:50 AM by hugolino »

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #79 on: October 15, 2010, 11:10:29 AM »
I think the best compromise might be to divide it between the caster and the target somehow. Will look at it :)

thank you people will probably react better towards this sytem afterwards.
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #80 on: October 15, 2010, 12:18:30 PM »
We did discuss the heal check thing, but it would just be a significant boon for high levels over low levels, so right now, the heal skill isn't taken into consideration at all. I'm not really sure I feel it would make sense to use the skill either - the interference isn't related to bodily health but due to the corrupting nature of Ravenloft.

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #81 on: October 15, 2010, 12:22:14 PM »
We did discuss the heal check thing, but it would just be a significant boon for high levels over low levels, so right now, the heal skill isn't taken into consideration at all. I'm not really sure I feel it would make sense to use the skill either - the interference isn't related to bodily health but due to the corrupting nature of Ravenloft.

Personally I prefer hot having to divide my already few skill points between more skills, but since raise dead is only gained upon level 10, it doesn't seem a big problem.
Noignar Huillen: Ilmater Cleric.
Hedien Gine: Arrow and Bow Artist.
Dolin Schneim: Dwarven Soldier

hugolino

• Dark Lord
« Reply #82 on: October 15, 2010, 01:10:31 PM »

Thanks for the reply. I guess my assumption was that many clerics wouldn't bother to invest in the Heal skill just to reduce the chances of an undead revival, but it would give a boost to those who did, similar to the Monk or Barbarian Stamina impact on endurance -- perceptible but mild.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 01:15:03 PM by hugolino »

Shadowthrone

« Reply #83 on: January 27, 2011, 03:17:03 AM »
I recently used Create Undead to raise an undead MPC and it triggered a zombie. This obviously shouldn't happen since they're already undead and the effect shouldn't apply to the Create Undead spell.

DM Macabre

• Dungeon Master
  • Dark Power
« Reply #84 on: January 27, 2011, 03:28:10 AM »
I recently used Create Undead to raise an undead MPC and it triggered a zombie. This obviously shouldn't happen since they're already undead and the effect shouldn't apply to the Create Undead spell.
:lolsign:

Bato

• Dark Lord
« Reply #85 on: January 27, 2011, 03:35:48 AM »

How many diamonds did you use?
Did you use the magic words?

These are the important questions!

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #86 on: January 27, 2011, 09:11:00 AM »

That is awesome. The mist hates everyone equally.

marlewebber

« Reply #87 on: January 27, 2011, 10:40:11 AM »

I was going to suggest, that since Diamonds are now required of Raise Dead, the zombie raised could be made a little more worthwhile to those who deliberately fail the spell? (Necromancers!)

Such as, having equipped weapons and former character AC?  Hoping that I'm not the only one who pursues the heinous possibilities these new systems provide...

Psyche

« Reply #88 on: January 27, 2011, 10:44:22 AM »
I'm like 99% positive Blue said the spell doesn't work like that. No diamonds, no cast.

marlewebber

« Reply #89 on: January 27, 2011, 12:58:49 PM »
Thanks Psyche I am aware and I tested in game,

What I suggested here is that the Zombie raised be more useful, since it requires diamonds to get one, it would be nice if it used a weapon and had the PCs armor on.  For Necromancer role-plays.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #90 on: January 27, 2011, 01:07:44 PM »
P.S. I'm doing my very best not to feel singled out, here.

Please don't. We are in fact singling you out. One of the design criteria for this system was to maximize your discomfort.

If you keep altering the game mechanics, sooner or later, you will break a long existing character. Its not personal, its not intended, however it is inevitable.
We can and will make any changes we see fit. If it "breaks" a character game-mechanics-wise, we have ways of fixing them.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Threefold

• Dark Lord
« Reply #91 on: January 27, 2011, 01:22:05 PM »
Just to clarify, if you cast raise dead, and it fails, and you get a zomber, will you need to spend ANOTHER pile of diamonds?

If so, could there be ways to avoid this resulting in catastrophic ressurection costs?

Psyche

« Reply #92 on: January 27, 2011, 01:22:56 PM »
Thanks Psyche I am aware and I tested in game,

What I suggested here is that the Zombie raised be more useful, since it requires diamonds to get one, it would be nice if it used a weapon and had the PCs armor on.  For Necromancer role-plays.

Oh I follow, makes sense.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #93 on: January 27, 2011, 01:31:56 PM »
only use raise dead in places that aren't sinkholes of evil will lower the risk of zombies, and from what little I have seen of this system, so does Ressurection

Threefold

• Dark Lord
« Reply #94 on: January 27, 2011, 01:34:29 PM »
only use raise dead in places that aren't sinkholes of evil will lower the risk of zombies, and from what little I have seen of this system, so does Ressurection

only use raise dead in places that aren't sinkholes of evil

Er...

*looks at the Big Map O' Ravenloft*

Where?

;P

Shadowthrone

« Reply #95 on: January 27, 2011, 02:02:38 PM »
Sinkholes of Evil are actually very specific places and aren't as common as people think. People seem to assume that every dungeon is a Sinkhole, which isn't the case at all.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 02:04:34 PM by Sheltatha »

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #96 on: January 27, 2011, 06:01:03 PM »
You will get a message when you enter a Sinkhole of Evil. It doesn't outright explain what it is, but you get a vague description about how it gives you a bad vibe, etc.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002