You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: New Reactions of NPCs to magics.  (Read 2694 times)

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
  • Fata volentem ducunt, nolentem trahunt
    • Facebook page
New Reactions of NPCs to magics.
« on: August 17, 2010, 05:50:19 AM »
Thumbs up. Accidentally victim of the new system, but I already love it.
http://www.facebook.com/CiaranII
Pokemon Go! 5688 6574 4676

Shadowthrone

Re: New Reactions of NPCs to magics.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 06:30:26 AM »
My favorite aspect so far was Nara'ia Goldflame freeing guard NPCs from Flesh to Stone with Stone to Flesh and then watching her getting attacked and beaten for her troubles.

It was all part of Morrighan's wicked plan to turn the city against her, clearly.

Minstrel

• Official Mascot of the
  • Dark Power
  • Cat in the Hat
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 11:18:36 AM »
It's still being tweaked so things like that don't happen.

Shadowthrone

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 11:23:05 AM »
I wasn't criticising, I approve of the system. It was just funny. :P

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
  • Shadow calls... shadow whispers...
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 11:24:39 AM »
Well, personally I think turning a statue into a human is worthy of panic! (assuming the locals don't know that was a human to begin with)

Sounds awesome!
Has been described as a sometimey player

Time_Stomped

• Undead Master
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 11:46:18 AM »
I'd recommend that dispel magic, purge invisibility, counterspelling, and other removal effects should not effect the system, they would be likely considered to be curing-reverse witchery magics.  It also means abjurer-type native pcs could canonically be suspicious, but accepted as a necessary tool of a witch hunter.  Of course this also means natives with common sense stay the hell away from them if something is going down, not because they are afraid of them but they are afraid of their horrific witch enemies that they would draw fire from.
Istavan Donner

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 11:56:20 AM »
I am not sure if native barovians would know that abjuration is used too do that, you have to remember that they are pretty much literate backwater ignorant peasants. They can't really tell what magic often is, they just know it is evil and bad, only healing spells are often tolerated after all. Often times they don't like witch-hunters because they know about witches, and likely suspect that if this guy knows a lot about witches then maybe he is one of them.

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 12:21:31 PM »
I'd recommend that dispel magic, purge invisibility, counterspelling, and other removal effects should not effect the system, they would be likely considered to be curing-reverse witchery magics.  It also means abjurer-type native pcs could canonically be suspicious, but accepted as a necessary tool of a witch hunter.  Of course this also means natives with common sense stay the hell away from them if something is going down, not because they are afraid of them but they are afraid of their horrific witch enemies that they would draw fire from.

Yeah, many of those won't cause the reaction either, by the same reasoning, but seems we missed some.

peluscious

• Undead Master
  • The incredible off-topic man!
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 12:36:07 PM »
I am not sure if native barovians would know that abjuration is used too do that, you have to remember that they are pretty much literate backwater ignorant peasants. They can't really tell what magic often is, they just know it is evil and bad, only healing spells are often tolerated after all. Often times they don't like witch-hunters because they know about witches, and likely suspect that if this guy knows a lot about witches then maybe he is one of them.
I agree. I really doubt a barovian would pass a spellcraft check to see the difference.
Healing magic is easy to spot. Wounds close. Evetrthing else is just flashy weirdness.

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
    • Facebook page
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 01:13:54 AM »
I think honestly Barovians won't (can't) distinguish really between divine/healing magics and something else, unless cast on them. They just see people waving hands, speaking odd words and something happens they, sometimes, don't even see. Arden got a bad reaction for casting protections from elements, so...

Minstrel

• Official Mascot of the
  • Dark Power
  • Cat in the Hat
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 09:20:02 AM »
I think honestly Barovians won't (can't) distinguish really between divine/healing magics and something else, unless cast on them. They just see people waving hands, speaking odd words and something happens they, sometimes, don't even see. Arden got a bad reaction for casting protections from elements, so...

Good idea!

Let's just have them attack anyone who casts ANY spell!

Incidentally, chances are that since NPC guards have started doing it, PC guards will too. Just because you're standing two feet out of the detection radius of the guards won't help you any more.  :twisted:

Here heralds the return of days when casting magic in the open got you labelled a witch and outcast! And probably killed! Huzzah!

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2010, 03:26:39 AM »
I principally agree that Barovians would at times react fearfully/negative toward even healing spells - however, since this is a programmed system that isn't flexible toward the context, reacting to those spells would at times send guards toward the caster when they were doing an act of benevolence to the locals.

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
    • Facebook page
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2010, 07:32:17 AM »
I know this may create lag issues and despawning too but:

why not adding some "wandering" Barovian NPCs also in Western Outskirts of Vallaki? Like, maybe, people going to town market, workers, whatever, but adding, with that, more "care" on the PC side about magics in a rather crowded place which, when Garda PCs are not on, is very similar to a jungle, according the respect of "traditions" and "rules" of the place.

Vaku

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2010, 03:52:53 AM »

why not adding some "wandering" Barovian NPCs also in Western Outskirts of Vallaki? Like, maybe, people going to town market, workers, whatever, but adding, with that, more "care" on the PC side about magics in a rather crowded place which, when Garda PCs are not on, is very similar to a jungle, according the respect of "traditions" and "rules" of the place.

I like this. I am often on my caster character and trying to keep the magic part of my character's identity a secret, I rarely find the challenge. I always find myself alone with nothing to worry about. Sure PC's are around, but most often in player hubs. Some wandering NPC's would be a nice touch in keeping me on my toes, so that when passing farms, there may be a Barovian farmer and his ox some way down the road. Or when traversing the nearby forest, I would have to be careful of a frightful Barovian lumberjack. Too is that idea which I think is best, to have some Barovian NPC that has the reason to be on a walk in the Western Outskirts. Those NPC's would be very good at communicating the fear and distrust of outlanders, with their personalities being slightly more skittish, not being inside the walls of places like Vallaki.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2010, 11:25:10 AM »

That is a good idea, it also might get rid of the idea that barovians only go to the outskirts when they have no choice and need to go there and it is a cursed place to many of them. This plus what Tarroka said, would be a good thing IMO.

WildPirate13

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2010, 09:38:53 PM »
I posted this in general feedback.... I like the idea but sadly this is how I truly feel about this and trust me I am not alone.

Re: Npc reactions influence failure!
« Reply #2 on: Today at 08:32:29 PM »
   Reply with quote Modify message Remove message
I spoke to a few players tonight and some of them are moderate to long standing players. The majority of players were not aware of this and nor was I until I got mugged by the npcs in the observatory. Now I have an ocr of 17 and I dont know how that happened or why? My character is normal looking had no glowy effects on at the time etc etc etc.

I have a 5% chance of being attacked by all npcs? This is a system based on a 5% eg 20 sided dice.. 1= 5% 20=100%

I can adapt my play style ... but come on really.

Many are not happy about the death system in place now as well. It would have cost literally 48K to raise my character from the zombie lord status that occurred twice!

Yes death should be... well bad and it is loss of xp frustration etc etc ...

16k to raise me once..
32k to raise me twice...
48k to raise me three times..

That unless you know a really high level cleric is perma death or you can walk through the mist portal and lose a silly amount of exp.

The influence system I truly don't like. Its to general and is not understood by seasoned players and can also effectively cripple story lines and players.

If the system is to be put in place permanently so be it but I would ask for an explanation or at least someone point me to the rules and reduce my OCR so that I can play again with the knowledge.  I am an avid supporter of the server and the community and feel that this is a bad system in place.

1. Please remove this general ocr or at least put caps on them.
2. If you cannot do this please point me to the rules via a link or a pm and reduce my ocr rating so I can play again.
3. Please consider changing the death system somewhat I hear alot of griping.

Looking for some help or compromise.

Best to you all!

WildPirate