Author Topic: Stone to Flesh  (Read 12526 times)

• Dark Power
Stone to Flesh
« on: August 13, 2010, 02:02:44 PM »
I personally think Stone to flesh should have a duration, Not be permanent. I experienced this first hand and spent RL hours waiting around for someone to fix me. A 6Th level spell to have permanency as the duration is a bit much in my opinion. maybe a Turn per level would be better then permanent. Before you ask, Even if the caster rest it has no effect on the person that is stone.

“In brightest day, in blackest night,
No evil shall escape my sight
Let those who worship evil’s might,
Beware my power… Green Lantern’s light!”

tzaeru

• Dark Power
Re: Stone to Flesh
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 02:32:08 PM »
Before you ask, Even if the caster rest it has no effect on the person that is stone.

So far every time I've been involved with the spell as either the victim or caster, it has ended with resting.

And, as goes, wizards and sorcerers are already toned down, while clerics are allowed to have their quite effective offensive spells with superb buffs - I'm pretty much all against further arcane nerfs.

If there's anything to consider with Flesh to Stone it's that there's a level 1 or 2 DnD spell that gives immunity vs. petrification effects.

Shadowthrone

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 02:36:01 PM »
If either the caster or the victim relogs before the caster rests, the effect is permanent. It's supposed to be permanent.

It does have a duration of 1 round/level in servers with lower difficulty settings, but we aren't playing a low difficulty setting server.

Dhark

• Dark Power
  • Ladul !
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 03:21:32 PM »
Not only can other players remove this spelll with its reverse , remedies to this spell can be freely bought , It will only last unitl the caster rests (as mentioned).

I have been struck myself with this effect from a beholder in game , I this case it dosent end, even if the beholder is slain.

I think the effect is great, it often creates mini quests for the release of said statue & generates a good deal of RP    RP=good  Nerfing=bad
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 03:23:11 PM by Tarinyar »

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 03:37:32 PM »
would you not get the same affect and be well gone or the person dead wiht a turn per level? I mean thats what........11 turns or more if your a level 11th caster? Thats plenty and it gets rid of the crash issue.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 04:30:26 PM »
considering the ease to actually remove if people are prepared for it, I disagree. I spent nearly a full day as Stone the day before you, and I loved it, I didnt get much RP, but it sparked RP around me

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 04:32:28 PM »
Well the issue is if the caster crashes, you need someone else to remove it. If she just rest then yu change back. That is what is broken, If you can find another way around that i am for it.

Aduial

• Dark Lord
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 04:51:15 PM »
I noticed this spell lately is being used a lot, and i dont think is well balanced because there is not really much you can do against it; the DC is usually high and considering in this server the items doesn t help very much in raising saving trows ,because it s a low magic  items setting, making a success it is really hard and even if you resist... you can always be targeted again.

Death Ward will obviously not help against it.

At this point there is not really much to do you are stoned... and believe me considering the manual of D&D 3.5 there should be a lot of way to get rid of the problem but sadly in the server there are only two ways have someone casting Flesh to Stone or have someone using on you an item ( i believe it s a powder i am not sure) that emulate the effect of such spell...but  not all arcane users have such spell and most important why they should use it on you? there should be a good reason IC i believe or at least enough good dont  you think?

So impossibles DC, Death ward obviously not working , hard way to get rid of the poblem ( without considering the fact your statue can be smashed to pieces... and good luck......) allright  with the hard setting but this is too much i believe.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 04:53:14 PM by Aduial »

Shadowthrone

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 04:56:11 PM »
Half the server has rogue levels and UMD. Stone to Flesh scrolls are easilly bought.

The spell itself generates roleplay by people finding ways to get rid of it. When I use it, more often than not I send the victim a Tell asking if they'd like to be freed by a rest or being killed, or to stay as such. Some people choose to be freed, some people choose to stay trapped (such as HellsPanda, who judging by his earlier post, actually cares more about RP he generates than RP he experiences - a rare trait.)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 04:57:57 PM by Sheltatha »

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 05:01:26 PM »
you can not be freed by being killed , a ruling is set by a dm that it smashes you to pieces and your done.

Shadowthrone

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 05:03:43 PM »
You cannot be permakilled in PvP without your permission.

Aduial

• Dark Lord
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2010, 05:07:58 PM »
We should always consider all the server and not a small part of it, if there are Rogues around with enough ability points to use a high level scroll and enough fangs to buy it  i am really happy for them, but that s not half the server, most people suffer really much the   "hard setting" and they don t have a friend that runs  just with an OOC tell logging with his rogue 20 full of scrolls :roll:

And about the scene it creates... sure fun one time... two time... three time....i believe we are over 20 times now...naaa is not mor fun...just annoying.

dark_majico

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2010, 05:16:39 PM »
Can we please just accept that at some point in your charecters exsistance SOMETHING will happen that kind of sucks, deal with it and stop bitching about how hard Ravenloft is. If you want to play some fluffy server where every wizard spell has a nerfed duration, the DC's are at best moderate to beat, then go make your own module. A wizard is a powerfull class just accept you have to be carefull around one, and if you really think its unfair, go play a wizard yourself. We cant go and nerf every single spell for heavens sake.

• Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2010, 05:24:11 PM »
Can we please just accept that at some point in your charecters exsistance SOMETHING will happen that kind of sucks, deal with it and stop bitching about how hard Ravenloft is. If you want to play some fluffy server where every wizard spell has a nerfed duration, the DC's are at best moderate to beat, then go make your own module. A wizard is a powerfull class just accept you have to be carefull around one, and if you really think its unfair, go play a wizard yourself. We cant go and nerf every single spell for heavens sake.

I am sorry that your upset, but were talking about a 6th level spell not really nerfing it much if you do turns per caster level really. The main issue i have with it is that if the caster crashes or logs, the effects dont go away as per the spell is suppose to be doing when the caster rest. That is why i thought making an actuall duration would not affect the spell that much and have the same effects. If you dont agree with this thats your opinion. I will not turn this into a heated argument.

Aahz

• Dark Power
  • People don't like to be meddled with.
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2010, 05:30:35 PM »
you can not be freed by being killed , a ruling is set by a dm that it smashes you to pieces and your done.

Could we get official clarification about this?
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

mayvind

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2010, 05:32:41 PM »
I love the spell, used a lot at one time .. and was recently victims to it in the out skirt. I dont see problem with it, and i dont think smashing the victim and bring it back to life with resurection spell is a problem. And better yet hire a wizard to cast stone to flesh back. It also the only effective way to kill VAMPIRE SPAWN since they dont turn to mist this way. STOP whining everytime you lost in the outskirt and try to USE OOC board to change game mechanic.

mayvind

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2010, 05:33:47 PM »

Duh search teh pvp rules, it stat it there somewhere.

Telkar

• Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2010, 05:36:40 PM »
How about a 24 real life hours as the duration? Or the caster rests, to end it.

It would leave space for people to RP rescuing the stoned one, but if a said stoned person isn't getting any RP revolving around him whatsoever, he can at least wait till the 24 hour duration is up, and just play something else in the meanwhile. Or perhaps the character just dies after 24 hours and he can respawn at least. I'm not sure if you're able to respawn when you're stoned.

Well, it's something to discuss. I personally haven't had any problems with the spell. I'm used to the hardcore setting. =)

mayvind

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2010, 05:38:46 PM »

It would leave space for people to RP rescuing the stoned one, but if a said stoned person isn't getting any RP revolving around him whatsoever, he can at least wait till the 24 hour duration is up, and just play something else in the meanwhile. Or perhaps the character just dies after 24 hours and he can respawn at least. I'm not sure if you're able to respawn when you're stoned.

Well, it's something to discuss. I personally haven't had any problems with the spell. I'm used to the hardcore setting. =)

When you are stoned you are aware of everything surrounding you, you just standing there and people pass you by, you could probary emote *Stone statue of Mayvind picking his nose* to pass byer.

P.S i just recently ( 5 mins ago ) lost HOLY GAVEL to black pudding, I spend lots of coins and time getting that hammer. Please get rid of Black pudding so i dont have to ever face it again and please give me the hammer back. *whines*
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 05:42:35 PM by mayvind »

• Dark Power
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2010, 05:47:15 PM »

When you are stoned you are aware of everything surrounding you, you just standing there and people pass you by, you could probary emote *Stone statue of Mayvind picking his nose* to pass byer.

P.S i just recently ( 5 mins ago ) lost HOLY GAVEL to black pudding, I spend lots of coins and time getting that hammer. Please get rid of Black pudding so i dont have to ever face it again and please give me the hammer back. *whines*

Flesh to stone the pudding and shape it into a hammer..........done.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2010, 06:04:31 PM »
they already made Death Spells only knock you unconcious, they gave Undeath to Death a level limit. This is the last truly scary spell on a mages list, shall we remove it, because we as players choose not to be prepared?

Anyway I was watching the scene that happened with you and Sarina, it generated lots of RP to try to fix it, it even got someone arrested, etc.
That spell is a key to potentially great story elements

Ophie Kitty

• Inactive - Quit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2010, 06:12:30 PM »
Flesh to stone the pudding and shape it into a hammer..........done.

"Flesh" to Stone, not Yogurt to Stone. :D

Anyways, my own 2 cents.

Flesh to Stone always seemed to be one of the powerhouse spells preferred to the community simply because theres very little ways to be immune to the spell or counter the spell via buffs. It really hurts rogues and wizards who don't have any fortitude saves, but I don't think its very hard to get a few certain low-cost items to boost some saves to help.

Its definitely a spell that needs to be cast with care and consideration to victims, as its almost, if not a bit worse, as killing someone; Raises don't cost as much (in comparison to StF scrolls), and clerics can cast Raise Dead a bit more freely in certain situations then wizards casting Stone to Flesh to fix it. If its duration ends up being permanent on the victim, its really an RP killer in my opinion. I personally wouldn't want to sit around for hours on end emoting [is a statue] until being fixed, but I suppose it would depend on where it happened, I like spectating sometimes.

Likely one of my characters worst fears, which is why she's taken a concerted effort to protect herself from it.

• Dark Power
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2010, 06:22:14 PM »
The only think i would like done to the spell is that give it a duration other then permanent. It is suppose to go away when the caster rest. If the caster crashes you stuck thier till someone does someting to reverse. How big a difference is it to give it a turn per level duration, Still have to be around level 12 to cast it so thats 12 turns so its like 6 rounds to a turn, that works out to be 72 round. No one is going to stick around that long once you have cast the spell.

I dont know the RL time conversion to that. Can someone look that up?

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2010, 06:24:31 PM »
Well people would mostly not care about it anymore, and not bother removing it in most circumstances.

and considering its actually fairly easy to increase Fort saves, there are rings sold by NPCs, and you can get a caster to buff endurance

Aahz

• Dark Power
  • People don't like to be meddled with.
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2010, 06:26:35 PM »

Duh search teh pvp rules, it stat it there somewhere.

Well we seem to have a DM ruling that contradicts the rules then... hence my question. I did not find any PVP rules regarding flesh to stone, smashing, and permadeath.
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."