Author Topic: Markby, Hunter & Markby  (Read 978 times)

Psyche

Markby, Hunter & Markby
« on: August 08, 2010, 02:56:23 PM »
I do not know what has happened to my father's firm, now. In Dis buildings are not left vacant for long; the human rot has likely already set in, the dispossessed souls have no-doubt torn it apart to build something new. I can still picture it though, the first day I went to it as a young boy, burning stone and iron that squatted off the street, where I stood. Dwarfed by its neighbors, but imposing.. empowered by legacy.. like my father. I remember when I joined the firm, the delicious acid of ambition I tasted, knowing it would one day be mine.

I have taken the persona of a blind beggar. The worldly compassions of the inhabitants of this new cold and wet land are so easy to manipulate, and the convenience is immeasurable.  There are some with sterner sensibilities, not so easily seduced by such tomfoolery, such performance. For now it suits my purposes, but I will not hide forever.

Psyche

Re: Markby, Hunter & Markby
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 04:00:36 PM »
My father is such an irrelevance now, so why do my thoughts dwell upon him? We could not have been less alike, less so now. He looked backwards, scratching a living from the shadow of my grandfather, until his death. I loathe him so, my father the failure. Why must he invade my thoughts, even in death?
The firm, after hours.. we argue.. I cannot remember what about.. but his eyes, I felt the disappointment, the hate.. burn into me, though as with all our family it is hard to tell.. I knew.. always knew. I remember the blood.. so much of it, as there was.. boiling off the burning flagstones.. the red stain my father used to be.. his husk.. and those baleful, yellow-on-yellow lamp-like eyes.. staring.. boring into me. I had them out.. and away with the rest..

And then there was this cold, and wet. A hostile land, this Barovia. Barovia and its eager-to-please population. Imagine, people who have never heard of Dis.. who live in ignorance of the enormity of existence.. like ants.. worse than ants.. Humans, dwarves, halflings, elves.. that have never learned not to trust the Baatezu.. never learned not to cut a deal with a devil.. I salivate with possibility and anticipation.. this land.. is ripe.. for the plucking. All it needs.. is the right kind of mind.     

Psyche

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 07:50:06 AM »
There is a frightful ignorance here. I have seen nothing of repositories of lore, purveyors of magic, save for that primitive faith-shamanism. Barovia's fear of the 'unnatural' may keep such talented individuals in hiding.. but that is no good to me, not yet. I have found a hold, hardly becoming of my superiority, but quiet, tucked out of the way, and so will serve well. In that privacy I can begin. It is a fascinating and disgusting sensation, to be an object in pity when it is in fact these cattle that deserve pity.. not even pity, just to be mocked.

Psyche

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 07:52:54 AM »
It seems there is some learning in Barovia afterall. I have witnessed the locals floundering at the presentation of.. admittedly not insignificant magic. I should endeavor to make contact with these true magicians, especially after my last success, the aquisition of an apprentice's book of spells. Despite their paltry parlour-trick nature it is at least a step in the right direction. I have requisitioned the aid of an imp. It is time to dedicate my time to mastering these small spells, before long I will be prepared to greater things.