You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: barovian food in barovian inns.  (Read 3189 times)

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
barovian food in barovian inns.
« on: July 23, 2010, 11:54:20 PM »
Hello, this was something I was curious about. I have noticed in some of the various inn in Barovia they do have some barovian food, like Mamliga. but not every inn does. some of these items would be neat little flavor stuff to help add to the setting I would imagine. Tell me what you think about having barovian inns actually serve the food they are said to serve, listed down below.

-herkles-

Quote from: barovian food terms"
Glossary
Mamliga—a cornmeal mush, common to every household
Mititei—grilled pork and lamb meatballs
Patricieni—grilled sausage
Placinte—a popular delicacy, pastry and fruit turnovers
Sarmale—pork wrapped in cabbage or grape leaves
Tocana—pork stewed with onions and garlic
Tsuika—a plum brandy unqiue to Barovia, popular among all classes

Telkar

• Dark Power
Re: barovian food in barovian inns.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 06:04:49 AM »
Totally RP enhancing.  :thumbup:

engelfire

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 01:17:05 PM »
Those are great.

Hey i was wondering, this is bit of topic but what about food making as a craft? like you would have a frying pan or pot, then you have all those ingredients like potatoes, porkchops, turnips etc, and you could cook your own dishes?

Imagine you are travelling with a group, night falls down and you guys decide to set up a camp. Then the cook of your group takes out his/hers pots and pans and whips up a massive gourmet-dinner for the hungry friends eh? :)

Different foods could have slightly different statboosting things or so
Vino - Who are you calling fat !?
Hekathn - You make a fine collection of bodyparts nnggghhh...

Telkar

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 02:44:42 PM »
Hey i was wondering, this is bit of topic but what about food making as a craft? like you would have a frying pan or pot, then you have all those ingredients like potatoes, porkchops, turnips etc, and you could cook your own dishes?

Imagine you are travelling with a group, night falls down and you guys decide to set up a camp. Then the cook of your group takes out his/hers pots and pans and whips up a massive gourmet-dinner for the hungry friends eh? :)

Different foods could have slightly different statboosting things or so

RP enhancing too, though it could be without stat boosting imo, and just be a total role-play craft. The DCs could be very low, not making it too difficult to start out cooking. Like very simple meals might have DC 5....then growing more difficult up to DC 20 which would be something incredibly delicious and perhaps refined. The ability bonuses could at least be wisdom, then maybe dexterity or constitution. The DCs wouldn't be the real challenge, but to get the materials for the meal. Like if one were to make Sarmale, DC 7 perhaps, one would need pork, cabbage and grape leaves and uh...a cooking kit? Then you'd have a pot that you can place on the ground and it would appear like that pot with fire under it in the vistani camp, and you could place the materials in it, and use the cooking kit on it and cook if the recepie is correct, and there'd be Sarmale in it. Now that I think about it...if such a pot could be made possible, brewing herbs might be possible to do in it as well.

Phiew! Brainstorm over!

Dhark

• Dark Power
  • Ladul !
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 08:30:17 AM »
Maybe more health restored when eaten & after rest ?

Also the menu in The Broken Bell needs looking at ....muttion , a cheap cut of sheep costs more than beaf steak !