Author Topic: Exhaustion: Am I getting paranoid?  (Read 5700 times)

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
Re: Exhaustion: Am I getting paranoid?
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2010, 06:26:01 PM »
The exhaustion system has no random factor included, e.g. there's no checks or rolls.

Then I'm REALLY puzzled how the exhaustion oscilate that much...
Noignar Huillen: Ilmater Cleric.
Hedien Gine: Arrow and Bow Artist.
Dolin Schneim: Dwarven Soldier

respawnaholic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2010, 09:00:50 AM »
The exhaustion system has no random factor included, e.g. there's no checks or rolls.

Which is kind of wierd...as it seems pretty random.

I think the server is an amazing work of art but the exhaustion system just annoys the s**t out of me. I know alot of my character's fatigue problems I bring on myself because I solo alot but as it stands now you might as well just go into my characters data log and permanently lower his STR, CON, and move speed since thats functionally what hes dealing with all the time anyway. I just dont really see what it contributes to the enjoyment of the game.

Maybe you should consider making a genuine poll to see what people think about this issue.

Gorasin

• Undead Master
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2010, 10:53:04 AM »
OK people Weight is an issue. If you are close to or past weight load you get exhausted faster. You run get exhausted. Cast spells , craft get exhausted. How about walking or better yet standing still for a moment? Each spell cast and item used count as a combat attack. Best to watch what you do and walk often.
The dark side is always there, waiting for us to enter, waiting to enter us.
Until next time, try to enjoy the daylight.

Aahz

• Dark Power
  • People don't like to be meddled with.
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2010, 11:05:22 AM »
OK people Weight is an issue. If you are close to or past weight load you get exhausted faster. You run get exhausted. Cast spells , craft get exhausted. How about walking or better yet standing still for a moment? Each spell cast and item used count as a combat attack. Best to watch what you do and walk often.

still does not explain why you can do the same thing, for the same amount of time, with the same weight, and still get vastly different rates of exhaustion and recovery.
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

Telkar

• Dark Power
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2010, 11:13:26 AM »
The randomness is probably because your type of activity is checked every minute, or that's how I understood it. People might be doing something very strenuous, then when it's time to check the activity, you've stopped for a moment, so it isn't checked as strenuous. Same could go the other way around, like you're doing nothing strenuous, and then you start to do so right when it's time to check your activity. So it's sort of random at times, as we can't know when the activity is being checked.

Correct me if I'm wrong Zara.

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2010, 01:54:12 PM »
Yup, that's probably the cause of any impression of randomness.

Aahz

• Dark Power
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2010, 02:56:02 PM »
I still find that nothing has change much since I did these tests

I was running and got “mildly exhausted” walked until “you are no longer exhausted”. Immediately started to run and it literally took three steps and I was back to “mildly exhausted”. I decided to do some time testing.

I stood still and waited 0:57  and “no longer exhausted”. I ran for 1:55 and was at “mild”. I waited, not moving, for 0:47 and recovered. I then ran for 6:07 and did not get any exhausted messages at all but I also did not cross any transitions. I went to a different area waited 4 minutes and started to run. That time it took 4:04 to become mildly exhausted, again I did not cross any transitions.  Next I ran crossing transitions into and out of the same area and it only took 2:37 seconds to get “mildly exhausted”. This time I walked and recovered in 0:54 I started to run again and was at “mild” in 0:49.

A variance between 0:49 and 6:00+
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

dark_majico

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2010, 04:40:10 PM »
Its stupid to even argue how much you dont like the exhaustion system or how its wrong when we dont know what its based off. Can we just be told?

:think:

:lightbulb:

:jawdrop:

:facepalm:

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2010, 04:48:50 PM »
Imagine a world without the winter cold damage, where spells never fail, you can run for eternity, prices are always advantageous, you can get rid of disease or level drain on a whim, and monsters did not give chase when you flee through a transistion.

Sounds like a paradise, which Barovia is not. Its much better this way, even if everyone will never agree. Achievements matter more when there was something overcome in the process, stumbling blocks, setbacks, these things make finishing a task feel like even more of an accomplishment.

Even the simple task of delivering a crate from Vallaki's warehouses to the Fishing lodge feels like a great quest when the cold is damaging you, and you have to walk because of exhaustion or encumberment. It also makes the hungry wolves attacking even more dangerous. But the feeling of completion is much more satisfiying than it would be if you just got the crate and ran 10 maps without any dangers or conditons.

In a nutshell, whenever I feel systems are becoming bothersome, I just imagine if we did not have them, and i feel bored at the thought.
I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2010, 04:55:28 PM »
Imagine a world without the winter cold damage, where spells never fail, you can run for eternity, prices are always advantageous, you can get rid of disease or level drain on a whim, and monsters did not give chase when you flee through a transistion.

Sounds like a paradise, which Barovia is not. Its much better this way, even if everyone will never agree. Achievements matter more when there was something overcome in the process, stumbling blocks, setbacks, these things make finishing a task feel like even more of an accomplishment.

Even the simple task of delivering a crate from Vallaki's warehouses to the Fishing lodge feels like a great quest when the cold is damaging you, and you have to walk because of exhaustion or encumberment. It also makes the hungry wolves attacking even more dangerous. But the feeling of completion is much more satisfiying than it would be if you just got the crate and ran 10 maps without any dangers or conditons.

In a nutshell, whenever I feel systems are becoming bothersome, I just imagine if we did not have them, and i feel bored at the thought.

Again: the question is not the existence of exhaustion, but whether or not it makes sense and is coherent.

My complain was "My PC's are getting exhausted in a time shorter than before. Did you change anything?"

Now my PC's seem fine (getting exhausted as they are used too before).
Noignar Huillen: Ilmater Cleric.
Hedien Gine: Arrow and Bow Artist.
Dolin Schneim: Dwarven Soldier

Nemien Callishan

• Ezrite Anchorite wannabe
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2010, 06:54:52 PM »

I never run. It just looks too silly.

respawnaholic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2010, 01:13:39 AM »

I always run. My characters are busy crafting.

Vespertilio

• Never met a Dark Lord, not a
  • Dark Power
  • We can't stop here, this is bat country!
    • Messages from Nihil
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2010, 01:21:59 AM »

I always run. My characters are busy crafting.

Jinx always runs, sneaks are everywhere!

I could just run into the room and punch you in the balls; sure, that's scary. That's entertainment. But it isn't horror...

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2010, 01:59:15 AM »
I run everywhere. so much to do, so little daylight to do it.
I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.

Dhark

• Dark Power
  • Ladul !
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2010, 08:19:02 AM »
I never run, too many herbs  :roll:

I was once advised to sprint to dungeons , rest & then hunt in said dungeon walking all the time.
For me there no point running away , monsters beat me across transitions effectively pinning me in, better to fight to the death & pray they wander away & I stabilise.

respawnaholic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2010, 03:44:01 PM »

And I agree with most of what your saying, but beyond the broken mechanic of 20 year old rangers sometimes getting exhaused after running 100 yards my problem with the exhaustion rules is I was always given to understand that in DnD a characters HPs are pretty much tied directly into exhaustion (and Luck). Simply put...a 20th level barbarian CANT withstand 10 sword thrusts from a 1st level fighter. when he takes HP damage thats a way of abstracting how tired hes getting while fighting. the damage animations in the game are misleading: Most of the damage a character takes is dodging and manuvering so he (she) is taking the pommel of a sword rather than the thrust of it, etc. When a character finally takes enough damage to drop its not ONLY physical damage it also represents that the character is too tired, exhausted, or whatever to effectively dodge any more. The exhaustion rules are just one layer too much. when my character is trying to pass a discipline roll to remain upright while fighting something thats under 50% conceilment and or weapons immunity having that exhaustion message pop up is almost like hearing the kid in the Simpsons going "HA-ha!" Simply put...exhaustion in DnD is already covered by how many HPs a character has. If a fighter has alot more HPs than a wizard...its because their...healthier.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 03:48:00 PM by respawnaholic »

Aahz

• Dark Power
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2010, 06:23:45 PM »
That's the way it was back in the day (before 3rd edition) I never bought any 3rd edition core books so I have no idea how they changed it