You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: SUGGESTION: A socially acceptable "normal" companion pet for locals  (Read 2758 times)

hugolino

• Dark Lord
For those who are native to Barovia, why can't there be a socially acceptable animal companion like a Barovian guard dog or some such? I remember many months ago seeing a garda (ranger) with a wolf named "Barovian guard dog" and I thought it was clever. Yet that "dog" surely was attacked by NPC garda and such and I doubt it was feasible in most situations. Why can't natives have socially acceptable animal companions?

Vespertilio

• Never met a Dark Lord, not a
  • Dark Power
  • We can't stop here, this is bat country!
    • Messages from Nihil
Re: SUGGESTION: A socially acceptable "normal" companion pet for locals
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 03:58:03 AM »
I wish mouse had been an option as a highly benign and innocuous familiar or companion, I'd have chosen it for the massive rp potential as well as the joy I experience every time I see:

Mouse enters rage

I could just run into the room and punch you in the balls; sure, that's scary. That's entertainment. But it isn't horror...

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 04:52:21 AM »
You mean like a Gundar worker (servant)

No, jokes away. Its an interesting idea! But I heard the Barovians even attack animals you use animal empathy on that they normally wouldn't attack, cause they change faction I guess to something the Barovians dont like.

dark_majico

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 04:55:26 AM »
Mice yes! We want mice!

Vespertilio

• Dark Power
    • Messages from Nihil
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 04:55:40 AM »
No, jokes away.

I wasn't joking, I think a mouse has a lot of rp potential.

I could just run into the room and punch you in the balls; sure, that's scary. That's entertainment. But it isn't horror...

hugolino

• Dark Lord
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 05:24:40 AM »
No, jokes away.

I agree.

One idea I had to allow non-outcast animal companions would be to allow small non-threatening companions to share the outcast rating of their masters although either doubled or with an additive (intentionally favoring characters with very low outcast ratings themselves in an effort to encourage indigenous characters).

An alternate idea is to have small animal companions seem less threatening if they are near their humanoid companion, but receive regular hostile reactions from NPCs if they go too far away from their humanoid companion.

There might be other ways to accomplish the same sort of result. I'm not sure which, if any, is easier from a programming standpoint.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 06:53:06 AM »
A raven is a socially accepted pet for a local. All sorts of legends and myths for native barovians point to the fact that Ravens are omens of good luck.

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 04:03:59 PM »
No, jokes away.

Oh I was talking about my own stupid "Gundarakite pet" :) A rodent, rat would be awesome. I like your idea a lot.

Minstrel

• Official Mascot of the
  • Dark Power
  • Cat in the Hat
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2010, 07:35:11 PM »
....Miniature giant space hamster?

:3

And yes, my Barovian Ranger/Rogue/Fighter would probably like a guard dog rather than a wolf.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 01:33:50 PM »
Carpathian Sheepdog would tear a wolf in half.  That's before you get to the breeds to the east north and west of Romania.......Caucasian Sheepdog would tear a hill giant in half.

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

respawnaholic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 01:55:26 AM »
Pigs.

Constantine would like to be able to walk around with his pig and not worry about getting truncheoned by the guarda.

Vespertilio

• Dark Power
    • Messages from Nihil
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 06:58:17 AM »
Pigs.

Constantine would like to be able to walk around with his pig and not worry about getting truncheoned by the guarda.

Pig would be a great option, while still allowing boar for more wild based druids or rangers.  Crags cats also come to mind along with an option for house cat as another means to allow rangers and druids to choose between a companion that is domesticated more wild one that is still more native than panther.

Same for wolf or dog, it allows for more variety in ways to play out the class within the setting, especially for those who want to play a native.  The Barovian guard dog was a great idea that would become even more applicable if it were an animal companion that looked like something other than a wolf.

Zedrik

• Warbird
  • Dark Lord
  • The Hellrabbits are watching you.
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 11:10:22 AM »
I would love for Gia to be able to shift into crag cat form and have a crag cat companion rather than the panther, cause... Barovian...

Warning: Don't provoke the high-level Falkovnian wizard. He bites. (And not in the good way.)

dark_majico

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2010, 05:54:03 AM »
Ferrets and weasels would be good too, im also all for having more grounded pets, I am not a fan of flying pets at all. Now if they stood on the ground whe they wherent flying that would be ok, then only flew when walking out of detect mode, even better, but as of now, hovering in one spot, no thanks! I hate all flying familiars.

hugolino

• Dark Lord
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2010, 02:57:49 AM »
My original suggestion, by the way, was about animal companions, not magical familiars. Those familiars are creepy. ;)

dark_majico

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2010, 05:04:05 AM »
oh lol, well by familiars I mean both, in my head I just call them familiars though.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2010, 06:15:27 AM »
Ravens are considered lucky by barovians, so they would be socially acceptable to them.

Zedrik

• Warbird
  • Dark Lord
  • The Hellrabbits are watching you.
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2010, 11:11:30 AM »
Ravens are considered lucky by barovians, so they would be socially acceptable to them.
So long as the ravens aren't seen talking to people.  8)

Warning: Don't provoke the high-level Falkovnian wizard. He bites. (And not in the good way.)