You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: hosting NWN  (Read 2717 times)

DM Macabre

• Dungeon Master
  • Dark Power
hosting NWN
« on: June 14, 2010, 06:33:58 AM »
For whatever reason I seem not be able to host games. The nwnserver works somehow, but my game does not appear on gamespy. Any hints?

Knas

• Developers
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • Worthless phony
Re: hosting NWN
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 07:15:20 AM »
Behind a router? :p

Axel

• Eternal Saviour/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 07:24:30 AM »
I'm assuming that you can't connect to the server over the internet, even when you try a direct connect. Ignore the following if my assumption is wrong.

Can you connect to the game locally, i.e., can you start a client on the same machine and connect to the server?

If you can, then you know that the server is running. Therefore, it must be a problem with your network.

The easiest way to debug your network is to start from the server, and work your way to your modem. I'm guessing here, but you probably have a setup that looks somewhat like this:

ISP -- modem -- router -- server

So, if you have a computer to spare, set it up as a client and test the following configurations:

1) client -- server
2) client -- router -- server
3) client -- some friend's internet connection -- internet -- isp -- router -- server

Without further information, I'd guess that the most likely place to find an error would be in the firewall settings of your router.

Knas

• Developers
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • Worthless phony
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 10:12:08 AM »
Or just go to portforward.com find your router model and then the game ^^

LawfulJoe

• "Evil is a thing of perception, it depends on which end of the sword you're on"
  • Dark Power
  • aka AwfulJoe
    • Joe Kellerman - Graphic Artist
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 10:25:55 AM »
UDP Port Forwarding
5120-5300, 6500, 6667, 27900, 28900

via portforward.com :)

Axel

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 10:28:24 AM »

Sure, but that's guessing at the error, not doing a proper diagnostic and then solving the problem. :P

pkpeachykeen

• New to the Mists
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 01:28:50 PM »
Be careful testing from a computer on the same local network. A lot of routers are less restrictive on intra-network requests than they are on outside requests.
I had a huge amount of trouble testing my server (web and NWN) when I was setting them up, because any computers connected to my router could see them but nothing outside could.
If you can, get a friend on IM who has a different ISP and get them to test. Using a local system does work to just make sure the server is up, though.

The first two steps are to give your server a static IP on the local net and forward all NWN's ports to that.
If you don't give it a static, the next time you connect all the port forward settings could be wrong.
Modems generally don't have too many settings (I know mine has exactly none), so I'd focus mostly on your router and do a quick Google for reported issues with your ISP.

Knas

• Developers
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • Worthless phony
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 09:33:56 PM »

Sure, but that's guessing at the error, not doing a proper diagnostic and then solving the problem. :P

I did the proper diagnostic though because:

If x = y then skip diagnostic and go for most simple solution.

y=Macabre

Axel

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 05:56:24 AM »

I did the proper diagnostic though because:

If x = y then skip diagnostic and go for most simple solution.

y=Macabre

Hehe. Well you've got a point there. :P