You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Journal of Linus Desantis.  (Read 1439 times)

The Howling Stars

• Undead Master
Journal of Linus Desantis.
« on: June 12, 2010, 09:03:54 PM »
[Small leather bound note book. The pages have been scribed in the language of High Mordentish]
NCE 2014-15: Achilles Roan, Paladin of Torm.
NCE 2016: Roland Voss, Warden of Ezra

The Howling Stars

• Undead Master
Re: Journal of Linus Desantis.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 09:13:28 PM »
//OOC: Prior to coming to Barovia.

19 March 670 BC

I had a long talk with my father yesterday.  At first I was afraid he would be hurt at my decision to not join the family business. But thankfully my older brothers, Glenn and Claude have fulfilled our Father's wishes of inheriting the family business. Our father can retire comfortably knowing that The West Arden Trading Company is in capable hands and my Grandfather's legacy will continue for at least another generation.  I must remember to thank my book worm brothers next time I see them.

But father had a valid point. What will I do? I was direct with my answer and he didn't seem surprised.  As a student, I had never been very good at arithmetic, book keeping or economics. Even the thought of entering the family business as a clerk or accountant made me nauseous. Ever since I was a child I have admired the watchmen of the city, The Lamplighter's Brigade. Excitement, adventure and protecting the innocent appeals more to my personality than recording accounts or scheduling cargo ship transports.

Father said he had an old friend who owed him a favor.  I have always been embarrassed of the Desantis reputation as a wealthy bourgeoisie merchant family. But I must admit, wealth can have its privileges. At this point all I can do is keep my fingers crossed.

The Howling Stars

• Undead Master
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 09:18:06 PM »
1 April 670 BC

Good news. I have received a commission into the famed Lamplighter's Brigade of Mordentshire. I am grateful that my Father's money and political connections had enough influence on Sheriff Finhallen’s decision to allow me entrance as a Deputy-Recruit. I will do my best to bring credit to my family's name and to serve the citizens of Mordentshire faithfully and with due diligence.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 12:46:22 AM by The Howling Stars »

The Howling Stars

• Undead Master
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 09:21:36 PM »
8 April 670 BC

The first week as a Deputy-Recruit has been the longest week of my life. Sergeant Cantwell is a hard man. But his experience inspires me to train harder. I feel my muscles ache and my mind spinning with laws, street names and investigation techniques. Regardless of the exhaustion, I feel a profound sense of pride and accomplishment. I am honored to serve my community as a Lamplighter!

The Howling Stars

• Undead Master
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 09:55:42 PM »
10 May 670 BC.

A fellow Lamplighter, Deputy Eric Hall has been my partner these past few weeks. He is an honest and dependable fellow from a reputable seafaring family.  We have been assigned to patrol the streets of the dockyards during the Graveyard shift. 

As it turns out, Hall is a devout Ezrite. He has asked me to attend mass with him on the next sabot with his family. I have agreed, more in the interest of friendship than anything else. I was not raised with a religious background and I have never subscribed to folklore and superstition.

The Howling Stars

• Undead Master
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 11:29:38 PM »
20 May 670 BC

I am overwhelmed, I feel like a newborn colt, I see the world through new eyes!

I have just returned from attending mass at the Church of the Pure Heart with the Hall family. As I approached the small church I was met by Eric and his family. Eric told me I was in luck, for today’s mass was going to be presided over by Bastian Sarlota Otrava herself. I admit at first I thought Eric’s enthusiasm a little silly, but as I write these words I see now how jaded and confused I really was.

As I sat in the simple church of stone arches and mosaic murals, the words of Bastion Otrava filled my heart and mind with a simple logic that I have be missing.  Her sermon was a humanitarian message of helping your fellow man.  She spoke of protecting neighbors from harm, always coming to the aid of individuals in distress, and always being ready to give aid and comfort to the sick or injured. Her words appealed to my sense of duty and civic obligation. Her sermon described a community of neighbors helping neighbors. Bastion Otrava’s words, "Today I care for you as tomorrow you will care for me" continues to echo in my head.

This was the sacrifice that Ezra made for us. She watches over all of us and protects us. 

Immediately after the sermon I paid my tithe of ten copper pieces and I am now a member of the congregation of the Church of Pure Hearts. I have been given a book of hymns and I have been instructed to study the tenets within. Eric said he will make arrangements for my baptism.

I am filled with the enthusiasm of a new life opening before me.

The Howling Stars

• Undead Master
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 11:46:20 PM »
03 June 670 BC

During night patrol, Eric has counseled me on the teachings of our faith. According to Eric's interpretation, Long ago a mortal woman made the ultimate sacrifice to protect humanity from some great evil. And since then, the religion has evolved. Eric explained as best as he could about the different Sects. These Sects appear to be different interruptions of Ezra's Message. To be honest, there is much I still do not understand. But our conversations on the theology of Ezra are a welcomed reprieve to the monotony of patrol.

My baptism is scheduled for the next sabot. I have decided not to inform my family. My father and brothers are from a world concerned with only wealth and greed. They would not understand this new life I have chosen and I do not wish to face the ridicule.

The Howling Stars

• Undead Master
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 12:10:32 AM »
11 June 670 BC

The baptism was a beautiful and simple ceremony. I feel a sense of completeness and belonging. I am eager to learn more and to participate in the congregation.

Patrol duties have remained fairly uneventful. 

The Howling Stars

• Undead Master
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2010, 01:04:15 AM »
July 670 BC

I am wet, cold and hungry. The woman at the bar said I was in Barovia.

Last thing I remember, I was chasing a burglar through the merchant district. Eric and I had become separated. I turned a corner into an alleyway just as a fog rolled in from the bay.

Next thing I know I’m walking in a pine forest. I saw a cloaked figure in the fog. I lost sight of the figure. I must have walked into a tree and knocked myself out. I awoke to the sound of music and my lantern had been stolen. I stumbled past the camp, the gypsies just stared at me in silence. I found this tavern, it smells like wet goat and nobody speaks mordentish.

I have no idea how I ended up in this strange foreign land. I am alone. My faith is the only thing holding me together. Somehow, some way this all must fit into the grand scheme.

I fear no night, for her light is like a sword that cleaves the darkness.