You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: An exotic item storage system considered  (Read 4999 times)

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
An exotic item storage system considered
« on: June 08, 2010, 05:40:58 AM »
This is a solution to a item storage system we've discussed among the development team. It's really the most feasible solution in regards to performance without being too much work to implement, but it's also somewhat awkward in some aspects.

It goes as follows:

Upon storing an item in a place, you don't actually loose the item from your inventory. Instead the item is marked as undroppable and unusable, but also having no weight. The name of the item will temporarily be changed to signify where it is stored.

Upon reclaiming, the item becomes usable again and the name is reverted.

The main disadvantage of such a system is that the item remains in the inventory, occupying space. This could be a positive aspect in regards to performance, however, since people wouldn't store overly large quantities. It would also make it very simple to effectively monitor exactly what you have stored where.

My point of this topic however, is to ask you whether you feel such a system would be usable to you, or the quirks would be too significant to make it relevant. What are your thoughts?

Dreaderick

• Dark Lord
Re: An exotic item storage system considered
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 06:01:28 AM »
Sounds like an excellent idea and an elegant solution! As long as the no-weight items can be stuffed in a sack or box in your inventory, there shouldn't be a problem. And for people who either play irregularly (like myself) or people with many different characters, it remains clear what items you have and where they are stored. And you avoid storage becoming overly full so people still have to trade stuff.

:thumbup:

I hope you have not been leading a double life, pretending to be wicked and being really good all the time. That would be hypocrisy. - Oscar Wilde

Dhark

• Dark Power
  • Ladul !
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 06:25:16 AM »
It would be a great aid to crafters, esp. smiths and item traders like the Vardo. I hope this system encourages more to follow this particular craft.

I assume cost is a factor & another gold sink is no bad thing , my only query is would containers be included in this system for things such as alchemy reagents , leather patches & herbs ?

(I'm not actually 39 for another 7 & 3/4 hrs yet)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 06:31:06 AM by Tarinyar »

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 06:34:52 AM »
It would be a great aid to crafters, esp. smiths and item traders like the Vardo. I hope this system encourages more to follow this particular craft.

I assume cost is a factor & another gold sink is no bad thing , my only query is would containers be included in this system for things such as alchemy reagents , leather patches & herbs ?

(I'm not actually 39 for another 7 & 3/4 hrs yet)

Storing a complete container in a whole wouldn't be immediately possible, but it's imaginable that we could make it simple to flag all items inside a container as stored in an easy fashion. Will keep that in mind.

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
  • Fata volentem ducunt, nolentem trahunt
    • Facebook page
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 08:09:46 AM »
Definitely the best solution possible if containers can be stored with all items in. One can say "I stored my herbs in Degannwy" and then Rping going there to recover it, but basically it's a big push forwards for crafters, as Tari said. Looking forward.
http://www.facebook.com/CiaranII
Pokemon Go! 5688 6574 4676

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
  • Shadow calls... shadow whispers...
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 08:20:30 AM »
you mean, not only I could keep my whole collection of armors and weapons, but I would be able to look at them in my inventory and drool too?

Sign me up!!!

On a serious note, so long as something -anything- happens to aid with storage, I'd applaud it. I do agree it would be better if it was a container though rather than items outside a container, but still. (container as in a 'large box' or 'magic bag', not an in-game container ie barrel).
Has been described as a sometimey player

bidocks

• Outlander
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 10:19:15 AM »
When you say "takes up space", you mean within our own inventory?  But the item is actually somewhere else?  Therefore we don't have the weight associated with it on our character, correct?  I think this is a wonderful addition, so long as we can take an entire container (bag, box, etc) and place it in this storage, otherwise, as a crafter, I still can't put anything in my inventory.  Of course it would be better if we could put anything in there and not lose the space in inventory, but that may be asking too much.

I've been hoping for something like this since I started here, by the way.....

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 11:06:53 AM »
Genius!

Even if we cannot have our inventory full available, we will have less problem with weight!

Would it be possible to put the stored itens in bags to reduce the inventory space usage?
Noignar Huillen: Ilmater Cleric.
Hedien Gine: Arrow and Bow Artist.
Dolin Schneim: Dwarven Soldier

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
  • We all end up the same: Level 20 or dead.
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 11:18:05 AM »
A suggestion:  Why not just have 100% weight storage bags?  I would think that would be the easiest as NWN is already set up that way.

The problems I have seen with community storage is that sometimes things go haywire and it resets itself to zero. 

This has been a recurring problem on the Diablo server, but there it really doesn't matter as uber equipment is always on quest away.   ;)
Sig by Garison

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter Thompson

"Rock is overpowered, paper is just about right" - Scissors
Thanks Aahz

Zedrik

• Warbird
  • Dark Lord
  • The Hellrabbits are watching you.
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 12:34:36 PM »
This is a solution to a item storage system we've discussed among the development team. It's really the most feasible solution in regards to performance without being too much work to implement, but it's also somewhat awkward in some aspects.

It goes as follows:

Upon storing an item in a place, you don't actually loose the item from your inventory. Instead the item is marked as undroppable and unusable, but also having no weight. The name of the item will temporarily be changed to signify where it is stored.

Upon reclaiming, the item becomes usable again and the name is reverted.

The main disadvantage of such a system is that the item remains in the inventory, occupying space. This could be a positive aspect in regards to performance, however, since people wouldn't store overly large quantities. It would also make it very simple to effectively monitor exactly what you have stored where.

My point of this topic however, is to ask you whether you feel such a system would be usable to you, or the quirks would be too significant to make it relevant. What are your thoughts?

As a strength 10 Wizard who has collected a bunch of books and other junk over the years...
It's the weight that kills me. <.<
So, I would love being able to just tick the weight over to 0. Even if I have to still carry the items in my iventntory.

Warning: Don't provoke the high-level Falkovnian wizard. He bites. (And not in the good way.)

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 01:36:03 PM »
Actually yeah. We have asked for bags of holding for ages now but from what I understood they are considered unbalanced.

I would want a bag of holding more than almost anything the server has to offer item-wise so in a sense they -are- unbalanced.

Aahz

• Dark Power
  • People don't like to be meddled with.
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 01:41:04 PM »
Actually yeah. We have asked for bags of holding for ages now but from what I understood they are considered unbalanced.

I would want a bag of holding more than almost anything the server has to offer item-wise so in a sense they -are- unbalanced.

Would there be a way to only make bags of holding openable in certain areas? (hotel rooms, crafting areas, tenements, etc?) It would not help in hauling ore from the mine to the forge but it would be an effective alternate method for "storing" items where you live and work. Assuming it could be done, that is.
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

Kendric98

• Dark Power
  • Omnipotent Overlord of the Omniverse!
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2010, 01:09:32 AM »
So i could have like 20 corpses on me all weighing 0?

Samson/Tatyanna Costella

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2010, 03:03:16 AM »
oh dear... portable "Gaping Wound"s... I don't think corpses should be 'storable'

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2010, 03:13:58 AM »

Would there be a way to only make bags of holding openable in certain areas? (hotel rooms, crafting areas, tenements, etc?) It would not help in hauling ore from the mine to the forge but it would be an effective alternate method for "storing" items where you live and work. Assuming it could be done, that is.

Sadly not possible, no.

So i could have like 20 corpses on me all weighing 0?

I don't think you will get the bank to hold corpses for you.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2010, 07:15:50 AM »
Is it possible to limit certian items thaat could be rended weightless because of this. Ie, corrpses, guns in barovia, bags  and so on?

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2010, 07:24:26 AM »
Surely :)

hugolino

• Dark Lord
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2010, 08:30:01 PM »
I like this idea very much. I'd naturally prefer Bags of Holding, but it is understandable if we will never get those. So your idea is a good compromise.

Kendric98

• Dark Power
  • Omnipotent Overlord of the Omniverse!
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2010, 11:16:29 PM »
Is it possible to limit certian items thaat could be rended weightless because of this. Ie, corrpses, guns in barovia, bags  and so on?
Yah this is what i was getting at with my corpse comment. A good one to make immune would be say a pistol because its elliegal, or better yet when they try to store it guards go hostile on the filthy law breaker.Would they allow storage of faction equipment like a guarda uniform?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 01:54:56 PM by Kendric98 »

Samson/Tatyanna Costella

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2010, 11:22:11 PM »
However in some places, such as dementilieu it is perfectly acceptable to own a gun. Unless you come from Falkovinia.

dark_majico

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2010, 09:44:06 AM »
This system you thought up sounds lovely, and bravo for being original, but your giving everyone an inventory full of bags of holding with 100% weight reduction, items can be put in storage at any time meaning you could walk through a dungeon and be all like...

Oh im putting that in storage
and that!
and that!
Phew thats heavy, ha, into storage you go!

How is that different to a bag of holding? All right i'll grant it you can stop a few types of item being stored, like corpses, but still, this sytem gives you more than a bag of holding, because you have an entire 9 pages of inventory space to do it with.

Axel

• Eternal Saviour/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2010, 10:31:17 AM »
This system you thought up sounds lovely, and bravo for being original, but your giving everyone an inventory full of bags of holding with 100% weight reduction, items can be put in storage at any time meaning you could walk through a dungeon and be all like...

Oh im putting that in storage
and that!
and that!
Phew thats heavy, ha, into storage you go!

How is that different to a bag of holding? All right i'll grant it you can stop a few types of item being stored, like corpses, but still, this sytem gives you more than a bag of holding, because you have an entire 9 pages of inventory space to do it with.

The difference is that you can only put items in storage and remove items from storage in some designated area. So you won't be able to store items during a dungeon run.

WildPirate13

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2010, 12:27:45 PM »
In favor. Yes it would be used as a bag of holding somewhat. If there was a way to tag an area to access it would be best.
In favor.

Aldabreck Stone Helm

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2010, 08:44:19 AM »
I love this idea as a wood worker and metal worker I carry at times silver ore, demon horns and I colect other stuff for differant crafters, being able to store them untill needed would be fantastic!!!!!

Time_Stomped

• Undead Master
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2010, 02:25:55 AM »
Well I would think there should be a designated area to begin with.  I don't like the idea of random outlanders/calibans with apparent storage coming from nowhere.  It should be in a place that is generally deemed secure/hidden enough.  No putting stuff under a rock and having it coming out another one.

Also stuff like attempting to put flintlocks into Morninglordian holdings would be considered not to ever supposed to happen IC.

If you have storage somewhere it should be vulnerable to being jacked if someone thinks they can find it with enough time spent doing so and being able to secure it. (with assistance by a DM ofc).  Of course your stealth invisible ninja isn't going to get very far unharassed, even if he did swipe a very noisy armor in a barracks full of sleeping guarda.
Istavan Donner