You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Balinoks Crash  (Read 39002 times)

de_reguer

• Undead Slayer
Re: Balinoks Crash
« Reply #125 on: January 04, 2015, 01:04:38 PM »
If I don't reboot my computer, and just try to reload NWN (even with lower graphics) my game does not load correctly (I freeze during the loading).

This sounds like you are describing a memory error that exists until the memory is flushed (PC is rebooted).  It might be possible to narrow this down to being caused by the Module or Game in this specific area.  Can you run a memory test to make sure it isn't a local problem?

Ran the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool today, and no problems were found.  I have Windows 7, with an Nvida GeForce graphics card and 512 dedicated VRAM, so my system has enough video horsepower for a game like NWW.  On a side note, I crashed a few days ago  in the roadway right in front of the Dvergheim entrance going TO Dvergheim -- I had not gone through the transition yet, so it was not transition related.

No. This whole section of mountains is notorious for making people crash. I had it badly for awhile. I think its texture related, but there is a setting related to grass  I think that finally fixed it for me.

Dark Dreams

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #126 on: March 09, 2015, 01:14:23 AM »
I haven't (knock on wood) had any problems in the Balinoks with crashing yet, and Katerina lives there. Graphics set to very best appearance, etc... I'm wondering what is different for everyone else... I haven't updated any of my haks for PotM in a good year or two at least... could it possibly be related to the characters themselves in conjunction with the area, like a texture, head model type, weapon, clothing type, robe, etc, that might be a co-causal factor (also, I know that having a very full inventory can cause or contribute to lags / crashes in graphically challenging areas... a possibilty for those who have had trouble)?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 01:20:52 AM by Dark Dreams »

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #127 on: March 09, 2015, 09:27:57 AM »
I can rule out the weapon, robe, head model type and inventory for you. I've experienced the crash with a near empty inventory, no weapon equipped and while wearing a hood.

I think the reason you are not be experiencing the crash has more to do with your specific setup, graphics card or other computer specs. That seems like the logical explanation.

Dhark

• Dark Power
  • Ladul !
« Reply #128 on: April 10, 2015, 04:49:18 PM »
I crashed last night on the exact spot that rocks ussaly fall on you, out side the Dwarven hall entrance. Only reseting all graphic options to minimum would allow me to logg back in.

DrXavierTColtrane

• Dark Lord
« Reply #129 on: May 29, 2015, 10:18:47 PM »
This just happened to me as many have described. I entered the Balinoks, saw two non-hostile dire bears but backed away from them. The last thing that happened was I hovered my mouse over a copper seam. Now I can't get back in without crashing.

Will try to set graphics lower and see if that works.

ETA: It did.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 10:29:37 PM by Nicholas Kronos »
For everything that's lovely is
But a brief, dreamy, kind delight.

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
  • Discord: Tycat#2415
« Reply #130 on: May 30, 2015, 08:07:53 AM »
i usually loop crash just outside of Krofburg until I lower my graphics settings. This didn't used to happen until I got a newer computer, but my old one handled it on full graphics without any crashes. Probably related to the graphics card/drivers on newer machines
Tycat#2415 (discord)
Facebook Art Page @thetabascobandit
Instagram art Tycat_thetabscobandit
DeviantArt /Tybookins
YouTube Tabasco Bandit Theatre

Blessed Be, and keep creating.

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #131 on: May 30, 2015, 09:39:43 AM »
I still believe it would be worth rebuilding the zone outside of Dvergeheim and the zone before Krofburg from scratch, as these seem to be the only areas on the server with this specific issue and there is a very real chance that redoing the areas from scratch will eliminate the problem areas along with the old versions of the maps. Of course this is a crappy job, nobody really wants to remake zones that were already build, but considering the large number of players that appear to be affected by this crash I think it is at least worth considering. Even if there does exist a (less than ideal) workaround that prevents the crash for most players, in this case that is setting your video settings to the minimum.

Same goes for the Raduta Keep crash, although that appears to be a different and far more recent (which hopefully means easier to resolve) bug that unfortunately does not have an effective workaround.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 09:44:55 AM by Feronius »

DrXavierTColtrane

• Dark Lord
« Reply #132 on: May 30, 2015, 06:25:50 PM »
I went through the Balinoks three times recently without crashing, all the way to the end, so I'm not sure what was different this time in the entrance part just outside Valliki. The dire bears were new, and--since I was looking for herbs--I went off the road toward the copper seams and interacted with the area that says something about "these miners left in a hurry." That's when it locked up completely until I reset my graphics.

I could still play NWN locally. And I rebooted my computer completely without that fixing it. So it was something very specific and recurring to that certain spot in the Balinoks methinks.
For everything that's lovely is
But a brief, dreamy, kind delight.

Thundron

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #133 on: June 21, 2015, 04:12:31 PM »
Usually crashes when I enter the area. Then I just have to restart nwn and re enter the server and it crashes again about 10 times.. until it works.. I dont think it never crashes again during that area. Might try sometimes booting if it would work right away. I lowered graphics at some point and it helped but not anymore.

Mayvind

• Red Academy
  • Dark Lord
  • I won't Bite
« Reply #134 on: January 01, 2016, 09:01:18 AM »
Balinok- Deep under the mountain. Crash upon transition, several restart still crashed, disable shiny water.. graphic at lowest and highest no effect use desktop, laptop different graphic cards still crash. character stuck on loading screen then crash unable to play the character. Also reinstall CEP, HAK ..etc.. nothing work. Any suggestion ?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 10:21:24 AM by Mayvind »

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #135 on: September 07, 2018, 10:36:24 PM »
Has the recent update helped with the crashes?

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #136 on: September 07, 2018, 10:58:15 PM »
Ran around up there a bit and didn't crash!
: )

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #137 on: September 08, 2018, 02:26:59 AM »
I'm having quite a few crashes in the Balinok, but after turning down all my graphics settings to the lowest possible... don't crash any more than usual.

Though after the last reset or two I'm crashing everywhere a bit more often than I used to, but that's unrelated to the Balinoks.

Edward

• Lord of the Dead
  • Dark Lord
  • The Bereaved & Defunct.
« Reply #138 on: September 08, 2018, 07:54:03 PM »
Also keep crashing in the Balinoks.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #139 on: September 08, 2018, 07:54:24 PM »

Which areas?

Phantasia

• Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • ¿
« Reply #140 on: September 08, 2018, 08:18:45 PM »
I haven't had any tile related crashes just yet while travelling the Balinoks aside wonky EE issues.
Le cœur voit plus loin que l'esprit.
The heart sees further than the mind.

Edward

• Lord of the Dead
  • Dark Lord
  • The Bereaved & Defunct.
« Reply #141 on: September 08, 2018, 08:23:12 PM »

Which areas?

Big bridges, after the Dwarf place.

sotbiii

• Outlander
« Reply #142 on: October 04, 2018, 01:56:13 AM »
I don't know about Balinoks but for some time now outside areas take several minutes for me to load and often lead to crash.
Especially areas with several NPC like in Port-a-Lucine crash me all the time.
Interior areas load much faster and result in no crashes.

Snowing seems to have made this problem even bigger for me, right now I can't get in game at all.

I used to have similar issues in Balinoks pre EE but now I have them everywhere.

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #143 on: October 04, 2018, 08:29:59 AM »
I don't know about Balinoks but for some time now outside areas take several minutes for me to load and often lead to crash.
Especially areas with several NPC like in Port-a-Lucine crash me all the time.
Interior areas load much faster and result in no crashes.

Snowing seems to have made this problem even bigger for me, right now I can't get in game at all.

I used to have similar issues in Balinoks pre EE but now I have them everywhere.

Outside areas that have either snow or rain take a long time to load for me and then tend to lag as well.

All in all, I've not had a lot of crashes since EE and would say it's actually been more stable for me than before. But last night I had two severe crashes, one of which I received a completely new message...something about my video driver had quit working and was having to recover.

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #144 on: March 24, 2019, 11:40:30 PM »
The area that leads to the Invidian camp/caves is atrociously laggy despite being tiny. I've been there twice in 4 months so I can't remember the area name but it's the one right before you enter the area with them in it.
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.