Author Topic: Balinoks Crash  (Read 39152 times)

respawnaholic

• Dark Lord
Re: Balinoks Crash
« Reply #75 on: April 25, 2013, 12:25:24 AM »
Alright. It may have absolutely nothing to do with your issue but being that it's a giant memory hog and does a lot of funny things... just right click on your NWN launcher and go to "Properties" section. Then, under the compatibility tab, you will find the option to "Disable Desktop Composition". Select that and it will essentially disable Aero while you run NWN. If the crash persists then it obviously had nothing to do with Aero, but the silly thing is pretty much just a giant resource hog with no real purpose other than cosmetics. I've heard from so many gamers that had issues with different games that went away after they disabled it, so I figure it's worth investigating.

I'm running Apple...I mean Windows 8. I just tried to do what you suggested for the Win 7 platform above and there is no option for ""Disable Desktop Composition". It does however say "run this program in compatability mode for" box is not checked and Win XP service pack 3 is greyed. Not sure if that means its running in Win-8 mode or its running in WinXP SP3 mode by default.

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
« Reply #76 on: April 25, 2013, 03:35:40 AM »
Alright. It may have absolutely nothing to do with your issue but being that it's a giant memory hog and does a lot of funny things... just right click on your NWN launcher and go to "Properties" section. Then, under the compatibility tab, you will find the option to "Disable Desktop Composition". Select that and it will essentially disable Aero while you run NWN. If the crash persists then it obviously had nothing to do with Aero, but the silly thing is pretty much just a giant resource hog with no real purpose other than cosmetics. I've heard from so many gamers that had issues with different games that went away after they disabled it, so I figure it's worth investigating.

I'm running Apple...I mean Windows 8. I just tried to do what you suggested for the Win 7 platform above and there is no option for ""Disable Desktop Composition". It does however say "run this program in compatability mode for" box is not checked and Win XP service pack 3 is greyed. Not sure if that means its running in Win-8 mode or its running in WinXP SP3 mode by default.

Well, I'm not overly familiar with Windows 8 but check off compatibility mode, and see what options are there. If not Win XP then go for Win7, I don't think they have Aero on Windows 8 anyways if I recall (which would explain why the option mentioned above wasn't showing up for you, possibly). But, in your case I'd suggest running it in compatibility mode to see if that improves the crash issue for you at all.

Sorrow00

• Outlander
« Reply #77 on: April 26, 2013, 12:42:20 PM »
I have done this, but it seems it still crashes on me. >.<

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #78 on: April 26, 2013, 01:43:57 PM »
Out of curiosity, to those of you who crash in these areas, what kind of video card are you using?

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
« Reply #79 on: April 26, 2013, 01:49:11 PM »
I have done this, but it seems it still crashes on me. >.<

Okay, so now we know it's not Aero. Are you running in compatibility mode or normally? And yes, what blue asked above is also something that could be causing the problem. .

edarsenik

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #80 on: April 26, 2013, 02:01:14 PM »
I also have the Balinoks crash, it happens at the transition near the bee keeper everytime, unless I turn my Graphics bar in NWN to Fast or whatever its called (lowest graphics possible) I had a room mate that played on the same rig as mine, and they had the exact crash and fix

I run an ATI XFX 6870

Through battle, you find validation, liberation, and exultation.

Sorrow00

• Outlander
« Reply #81 on: April 26, 2013, 02:05:31 PM »
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5400, compatibility mode for windows 7.

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #82 on: April 26, 2013, 05:51:11 PM »
I thought so. ATI cards have considerably more problems with NWN than nVidia cards do, and tend to crash far more often.

respawnaholic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #83 on: May 01, 2013, 11:19:19 PM »
I thought so. ATI cards have considerably more problems with NWN than nVidia cards do, and tend to crash far more often.

Negative. I'm using an Nvidia GeForce GT 620 and my crashing is so bad I've taken to avoiding the Balinoks outright. The final transition into or out of Krofburg is the worst by far, but it can happen anywhere in that chain. The last time it did I couldn't log the character back in until there was a reset.

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #84 on: May 02, 2013, 12:39:06 AM »

odd note might be related might not be.

i never crashed with any area untill the recent changes to zeklos
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #85 on: May 02, 2013, 12:53:15 AM »

Negative. I'm using an Nvidia GeForce GT 620 and my crashing is so bad I've taken to avoiding the Balinoks outright. The final transition into or out of Krofburg is the worst by far, but it can happen anywhere in that chain. The last time it did I couldn't log the character back in until there was a reset.
eh, I've had nVidia cards for years, and while I have had some crashes in NWN, I have never experienced the crash described in this thread.

blur927

• Outlander
« Reply #86 on: May 02, 2013, 02:39:46 PM »
I've had this problem with 2 seperate machines, most often in the first mountain area after Vallaki. Both run windows 7, One has an nvidia gtx 480 and the other one is a laptop that has a built in intel(?) card. Turning grass off fixed crashing issues with both machines, though my laptop also had a crashing issue related to sound as well. Hope that helps some people.

respawnaholic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #87 on: May 02, 2013, 07:54:49 PM »

I cant pinpoint the exact moment but this IS a recent issue. I feel like it started happening in earnest after one of the updates. It may be the one you describe.

Also.....The bad clipping in the mountains is a recent issue. I cant help but think that the two are somehow related maybe.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 07:56:58 PM by respawnaholic »

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #88 on: May 02, 2013, 11:46:06 PM »
follow-up: does this happen in every area that uses the mountain tileset(fx: Mt. Baratak, the Svalich Pass), or just the balinoks area?

DM Nocturne

• Sanguis Noctis
  • Dark Power
  • Vampires don't do dishes
« Reply #89 on: May 03, 2013, 12:29:42 AM »
Personally I've never experienced crashes up Baratak but the first mountain tileset to Balinoks used to crash the game (Nvidia GTX 285). But not straight away; after 5-10 seconds worth of walking forward into the area, it would then freeze it up.

Logging back in after that crash would then hang my loading screen, then subsequently crash again. Only way was to set my graphics to minimum with no features THEN loading in again used to get me into the area.

I've recently put in a GTX 580 but I haven't run through the area enough times to really see if it has made a difference. I've not had the issue yet though.

I recall certain placeables used to crash my client back in the day, (e.g. That glowing orb - crashes you if it's on your screen and you alt-tab out) not sure if that's been looked into already.

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #90 on: May 03, 2013, 07:19:09 PM »

additional i have to say i only crash at the keep as i SEE the keep, the area when entering is np but once i enter and walk around the keep my computer just goes boom
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #91 on: May 03, 2013, 09:05:54 PM »
I've had crashes in the Balinoks, but generally only in some of the areas.

The most often reoccuring is the area the Dvergeheim entrance is in, when you first enter the mountains south of Vallaki. But I've had them further down that same road as well. I don't think it's related to the mountain tileset though, since I've never experienced any crashes elsewhere than on the road to Krofburg. Not in the Svalich pass towards Tser Falls nor north towards the Mage Tower at least.

I've tried every single setting seperately, turning them off and on, but that hasn't told me much. Only ruled out a couple.
It just seems to crash whenever settings are set too high, doesn't really matter whether it's lightning or texture related I believe.

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
  • Fata volentem ducunt, nolentem trahunt
    • Facebook page
« Reply #92 on: May 04, 2013, 02:08:41 AM »
As I suggested in the past, what I've done, and it has always been working so far, is setting all graphics to the -minimum-, hence the crashes won't happen. On the cause of them, I cannot say, but for sure it's something graphic related since my own system works for my machine (Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.4GHz, 8192MB RAM, nvidia GTX 460)
http://www.facebook.com/CiaranII
Pokemon Go! 5688 6574 4676

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #93 on: May 05, 2013, 04:48:42 PM »
I've had crashes in the Balinoks, but generally only in some of the areas.

The most often reoccuring is the area the Dvergeheim entrance is in, when you first enter the mountains south of Vallaki. But I've had them further down that same road as well. I don't think it's related to the mountain tileset though, since I've never experienced any crashes elsewhere than on the road to Krofburg. Not in the Svalich pass towards Tser Falls nor north towards the Mage Tower at least.

I've tried every single setting seperately, turning them off and on, but that hasn't told me much. Only ruled out a couple.
It just seems to crash whenever settings are set too high, doesn't really matter whether it's lightning or texture related I believe.
That's what I thought. It must be a placeable in use in those areas.

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #94 on: May 05, 2013, 06:45:51 PM »
That's what I thought. It must be a placeable in use in those areas.

Very possible, actually.

If it is though, it's one that loads as soon as you enter the Dvergeheim zone (coming from the direction of Vallaki.)
Since I sometimes do not even exit the loading screen before the game crashes or am only able to take a few steps.

At some point I thought it might've been the dwarf statue or something near it, since it seemed to stutter there.
But then again, the game often stutters anyhow whenever character models or such come into sight, so that may be unrelated.

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
« Reply #95 on: May 06, 2013, 05:31:22 AM »
This is confusing... it doesn't seem to be hardware/system related, but at the same time I want to say it is since I've NEVER had a crash on the first screen of the Balinoks (where Dvergheim is). The only map that used to (occasionally) crash me was... I wanna say the ravine map (forget the actual name). It's basically the middle map on the journey through the Ballinoks from Krofburg to Vallaki and even then it was only a question of logging back in and everything was fine. I run all my graphics at maximum (except for shiny water, as I recall that creates all sorts of problems) so that's why I find the whole issue baffling. I've puzzled over this for several days trying to think what could be causing it outside of sever-side issues but I haven't had any brilliant revelations. The only thing that struck me, is that this seems to be happening only to people running Windows 7 or newer. Is anyone who's not running Windows 7 or 8 experiencing this crash issue or am I right in saying it's only newer operating systems that have this problem?

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #96 on: May 06, 2013, 07:16:27 AM »
This is confusing... it doesn't seem to be hardware/system related, but at the same time I want to say it is since I've NEVER had a crash on the first screen of the Balinoks (where Dvergheim is). The only map that used to (occasionally) crash me was... I wanna say the ravine map (forget the actual name). It's basically the middle map on the journey through the Ballinoks from Krofburg to Vallaki and even then it was only a question of logging back in and everything was fine. I run all my graphics at maximum (except for shiny water, as I recall that creates all sorts of problems) so that's why I find the whole issue baffling. I've puzzled over this for several days trying to think what could be causing it outside of sever-side issues but I haven't had any brilliant revelations. The only thing that struck me, is that this seems to be happening only to people running Windows 7 or newer. Is anyone who's not running Windows 7 or 8 experiencing this crash issue or am I right in saying it's only newer operating systems that have this problem?

You may actually be right, to be honest. Or something related to newer PCs at least.

I used to have the exact same setup as you with, I think, Windows Vista with only shiny water turned off. And no issues at all, ever.
The same still goes for my current system, which is pretty modern and Windows 7, it's only those select few zones in that I crash in.

A placeable that keeps trying to load constantly for those with newer systems until the game simply gives in still sounds like a plausible cause. Unless it's a certain combination of data, like textures and lightning, that isn't possible to process. But a placeable causing it by being rendered differently or something seems like a more logical cause behind it. Wouldn't know which one though. Are there actually effects, textures or placeables that are only visible or that drastically improve or change graphically when you have your settings set higher?

I do still hope the issue will be found, since it's a bit silly having to degrade the graphics of an already outdated game even more just for a select few unimportant zones in the entire game. So far I've been switching settings whenever approaching the problem areas, but that's rather tedious as well and if I turn the options back on max all at once it sometimes crashes my game as well. And not because I have a lousy PC though.

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
« Reply #97 on: May 06, 2013, 10:28:35 AM »
I think it may be a DirectX issue, actually. If I remember correctly, from DirectX10 onward, they're not fully reverse-compatible like the previous versions were. Microsoft changed their driver-architecture with Vista and... well, a bunch of boring tech stuff that's not really important. I believe you can circumvent the issue by installing the developer version of DirectX, which should include all the missing bits. If anyone's feeling adventurous and wants to test my theory:

1- Make a system restore point because I don't have Windows 7 to test this myself (it shouldn't affect anything adversely, but better safe than sorry)

2- Go to this link: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

3- Download and install the DirectX runtimes. This should include all of the stuff that wasn't carried over from DirectX 9 to DirectX10

4- Restart your computer

5- Get in-game and head to a location you'd normally crash when entering

6- Let me know if it worked or not.

edarsenik

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #98 on: May 06, 2013, 04:21:31 PM »
I just tried this out, Its weird because now it lets me into the area (first map of the balinoks, south of vallaki, near the bee keeper)  And before it would crash while loading the area.... I was running in the area and the ''neverwinter nights stopped working'' message popped up.... Its definatly tied to Windows 7/8 Id bet... Unless there are others  using XP that get the crash?? I dont have the crash in the other mountains tileset areas, like the tser bridge/baratak mountain... Only in the balinoks... wierd, before I was thinking its conected to the minning nodes there.. But thats just a guess....

edarsenik

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #99 on: May 06, 2013, 04:25:25 PM »
I just tried this out, Its weird because now it lets me into the area (first map of the balinoks, south of vallaki, near the bee keeper)  And before it would crash while loading the area.... I was running in the area and the ''neverwinter nights stopped working'' message popped up.... Its definatly tied to Windows 7/8 Id bet... Unless there are others  using XP that get the crash?? I dont have the crash in the other mountains tileset areas, like the tser bridge/baratak mountain... Only in the balinoks... wierd, before I was thinking its conected to the minning nodes there.. But thats just a guess....

*also It keeps me in the crash loop still, untill I lower all gfx settings to lowest....